Author Topic: Palumboism - Who coined the phrase?  (Read 29087 times)

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
Re: palumboism broscience laden question from newbie
« Reply #125 on: October 18, 2016, 07:42:43 PM »
Hey guys I mostly lurk herer and only posted once or twice recently after actually signing up, so no doubt that puts me under suspicion of being some gimmick. So be it.

I've read various theories on 'what' palumboism actually is (cushing syndrome for example?) and so forth. I have insufficient medical knowledge (and for that matter am not in any danger of actually getting it) to know the ins and outs of that, though the symptoms do seem to line up somewhat (and for a few others). I'm also going to lump in the 'bubble gut' with palumboism, because (with no scientific evidence to back it up) I think it is likely the first stage of it, and at that stage likely able to be prevented from going to the full palumbo.

So rather than go there, I'm more interested in what (not as in what biochemical changes over time in the body, but rather what actions by the lifter) lead to it. So at best I'm going off of observation and wild speculation, but I'd appreciate some input.

Obviously guys in the 60s and 70s and somewhat beyond there didn't get it.  Arguably they ran lower doses altogether and actually came off everything for breaks away from the competitions. According to people here, GH was being used back then so I tend to rule that one out, or at least in moderate (whatever that is) doses.

My hunch is it is a combination of the increased doses (but then again a lot of strength athletes surely run some massive amounts of gear and possibly gh too to help prevent injury and they don't tend to get it that I have seen) but then the addition of insulin. And at a guess, it would seem it takes a few years of insulin use (combined with all the rest) for it to manifest.

Reason I'm even asking this is that on another forum the topic of tim bellknap was mentioned, and that he was an insulin dependant diabetic (from childhood iirc) and that he was one of the people early on who figured out how to use insulin advantageously for bodybuilding. Anyway there was also a pic of him. He looked strong, but also had a blocky physique, and whilst nothing even in the ballpark of a 'big lenny' or palumbo himself, he did have a rather wide midsection and not the worlds biggest arms. So it got me thinking, there's a guy who used insulin (had to of course, but then used it over and above medical needs) and had a slight look reminiscent of this whole deal.

Does anyone know of other bodybuilders who were diabetics from childhood and whether they coincidentally had relatively thick midsections? Any other comments?

fuck off
K

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #126 on: October 18, 2016, 08:50:57 PM »
Hey guys I mostly lurk herer and only posted once or twice recently after actually signing up, so no doubt that puts me under suspicion of being some gimmick. So be it.

I've read various theories on 'what' palumboism actually is (cushing syndrome for example?) and so forth. I have insufficient medical knowledge (and for that matter am not in any danger of actually getting it) to know the ins and outs of that, though the symptoms do seem to line up somewhat (and for a few others). I'm also going to lump in the 'bubble gut' with palumboism, because (with no scientific evidence to back it up) I think it is likely the first stage of it, and at that stage likely able to be prevented from going to the full palumbo.

So rather than go there, I'm more interested in what (not as in what biochemical changes over time in the body, but rather what actions by the lifter) lead to it. So at best I'm going off of observation and wild speculation, but I'd appreciate some input.

Obviously guys in the 60s and 70s and somewhat beyond there didn't get it.  Arguably they ran lower doses altogether and actually came off everything for breaks away from the competitions. According to people here, GH was being used back then so I tend to rule that one out, or at least in moderate (whatever that is) doses.

My hunch is it is a combination of the increased doses (but then again a lot of strength athletes surely run some massive amounts of gear and possibly gh too to help prevent injury and they don't tend to get it that I have seen) but then the addition of insulin. And at a guess, it would seem it takes a few years of insulin use (combined with all the rest) for it to manifest.

Reason I'm even asking this is that on another forum the topic of tim bellknap was mentioned, and that he was an insulin dependant diabetic (from childhood iirc) and that he was one of the people early on who figured out how to use insulin advantageously for bodybuilding. Anyway there was also a pic of him. He looked strong, but also had a blocky physique, and whilst nothing even in the ballpark of a 'big lenny' or palumbo himself, he did have a rather wide midsection and not the worlds biggest arms. So it got me thinking, there's a guy who used insulin (had to of course, but then used it over and above medical needs) and had a slight look reminiscent of this whole deal.

Does anyone know of other bodybuilders who were diabetics from childhood and whether they coincidentally had relatively thick midsections? Any other comments?

I'm sure our "Johnny on the Spot" mods will be all over this gimmick.....any year now.

nobody in particular

• Getbig II
« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2016, 06:42:39 AM »
well that went pretty well.

Pingon

• Getbig II
Palumboism
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2017, 04:31:42 AM »
Hey  guys , we  should  keep  open  the  palumboism  topic.... That  condition  is  too  terrible  and  everyone  should  keep  aware  of  that .  I am  soo  scared  of  palumboism  and  you  should  be  afraid  too.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
Re: Palumboism
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2017, 04:32:50 AM »
Not that many standout cases lately, to be honest.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2017, 04:34:11 AM »
its quite possible that there is a forum on the internet where the female version of kwon, thinks palumboism is sexy and post picture after picture of it.

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2017, 04:45:08 AM »
its quite possible that there is a forum on the internet where the female version of kwon, thinks palumboism is sexy and post picture after picture of it.

Instagram
U

BodybuilderinThailand

• Getbig II
Dave Palumbo Vs. Big Lenny - Who Invented Palumboism?
« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2017, 02:04:53 AM »

should we change the name of this phenomenon to "lennyism"?

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
Palumboism explained!
« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2017, 06:23:50 AM »

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
Re: Palumboism explained!
« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2017, 10:59:58 AM »
Lost my fucking breakfast watching that.