Author Topic: 2014 Olympia - Mr. Olympia Athlete Check-in's Wednesday evening  (Read 16921 times)

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Re: 2014 Olympia - Mr. Olympia Athlete Check-in's Wednesday evening
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2014, 05:30:19 PM »
Going to the gym and lifting weights is definitely an athletic endeavor. Now one could argue that  standing on stage and posing is not a display of athleticism. On the other hand if one is to pose and flex their physique in such a way as to display each body part where the whole body is judged in a combination of mandatory poses well this is where it gets sticky.

Take the sport of archery for example. Now lets take away the bow and have the competitors still go through the motions. That would look kind of dumb, but the motions that they are required to do are similar to a bodybuilder goes through on stage. Each are flexing a group of muscles with an end result. In archery that end result is to hit a target. In bodybuilding the end result is to displaying their physique in a required pose against a competitor. The only difference is that there is no target.  So does the hitting of a target make archery a sport? If so then then I guess you can call any competition that requires one to hit a target a sport.  

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2014, 05:34:03 PM »
Going to the gym and lifting weights is definitely an athletic endeavor. Now one could argue that  standing on stage and posing is not a display of athleticism. On the other hand if one is to pose and flex their physique in such a way as to display each body part where the whole body is judged in a combination of mandatory poses well this is where it gets sticky.

Take the sport of archery for example. Now lets take away the bow and have the competitors still go through the motions. That would look kind of dumb, but the motions that they are required to do are similar to a bodybuilder goes through on stage. Each are flexing a group of muscles with an end result. In archery that end result is to hit a target. In bodybuilding the end result is to displaying their physique in a required pose against a competitor. The only difference is that there is no target.  So does the hitting of a target make archery a sport? If so then then I guess you can call any competition that requires one to hit a target a sport.  
not to mention flexing on stage is completely exhausting and throws your heart rate way up, It is not easy whatsoever especially in such a depleted state

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2014, 05:39:15 PM »
not to mention flexing on stage is completely exhausting and throws your heart rate way up, It is not easy whatsoever especially in such a depleted state

Mega BUMP

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2014, 05:42:13 PM »

Yep, I would bet that a long distance runner would not be able to go through the mandatory poses without getting out of breath.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2014, 05:48:50 PM »
indeed

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
  I consider them athletes
R

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2014, 05:56:34 PM »
great post

NOW GET OVER IT DICKHEADS, BODYBUILDERS BY DEFINITION ARE ATHLETES.

Using a bodybuilder's definition of an athlete to make a definitive statement that a bodybuilder is an athlete?
Y

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2014, 06:00:04 PM »
Using a bodybuilder's definition of an athlete to make a definitive statement that a bodybuilder is an athlete?

They're no more an athlete than someone who does manual labor.
manual labor is not competitive and they are called athletes for lack of a better term but still fall into the definition, what is annoying is all these idiots going out of there way to argue it like it changes anything

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2014, 06:00:47 PM »
manual labor is not competitive and they are called athletes for lack of a better term but still fall into the definition, what is annoying is all these idiots going out of there way to argue it like it changes anything

Y

BodyConnoisseur

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • focused
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2014, 06:02:49 PM »

It's simple...they jump at any opportunity to discredit what we do...nothing new

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2014, 06:12:25 PM »
It's simple...they jump at any opportunity to discredit what we do...nothing new
getbig is my home but when it comes to bodybuilding they do not have the grasp of how difficult it is to put together a formidable package on stage.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2014, 06:16:39 PM »
Yep, I would bet that a long distance runner would not be able to go through the mandatory poses without getting out of breath.

lol Disgusted - you are one of my favorite posters on Getbig - your intelligence always comes through (no homo)

But to compare distance running with posing for body building  made me laugh. I have run a 4:20 mile, competed in 100 mile bike races, and ride 25-30 mile criteriums currently. No way would holding a pose for 3-4 min come close, lol. I take a lactic acid bath for an hour in most fast races.

Bodybuilding in its present form is a chemical exercise. Most of these guys are near death. They are not remotely athletic in any respect. They are big, male models.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2014, 06:22:14 PM »
lol Disgusted - you are one of my favorite posters on Getbig - your intelligence always comes through (no homo)

But to compare distance running with posing for body building  made me laugh. I have run a 4:20 mile, competed in 100 mile bike races, and ride 25-30 mile criteriums currently. No way would holding a pose for 3-4 min come close, lol. I take a lactic acid bath for an hour in most fast races.

Bodybuilding in its present form is a chemical exercise. Most of these guys are near death. They are not remotely athletic in any respect. They are big, male models.
you do not know what you are talking about.

First he was not comparing the 2, he was simply saying you will be out of breath posing regardless of how conditioned you are and long distance runners are in good condition.

second of all I have stood on stage and also have run a marathon and at no point in the 42 km I ran was I out of breath to the point I was when I was competing on stage, every muscle flexed at once in a depleted state is horribly exhausting

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2014, 06:23:13 PM »

I can assure you that's not the case here.

I know about the dedication, diet, gym work / hard work and drug risk.

I just don't consider it athletic.
Y

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2014, 06:24:45 PM »
oh BTW story fucken up on the ''4;20 mile''

:D

sure you did  ::)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: 2014 Mr Olympia Athlete Check-in!
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2014, 06:27:49 PM »
No it isn't, the judging criteria between a beauty- & bb contest differ day and night.

Judging has nothing to do with it. Both are subjective.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2014, 06:36:48 PM »
FUCKEN HELL NO  >:( >:( >:(

no one fucks with bodybuilding on OLYMPIA weekend  :D ;)

Chill. Just because they're not athletes doesn't mean I don't have a great appreciation for it. I came from a bodybuilding background as did my wife. I'll watch just like I do every year. But remember what I do, I train athletes, from high school to REAL Olympian medalists. There is a clear winner and there is a clear loser whether it's by scoring points or crossing a finish line, it's non-subjective and takes an enormous amount of skill and the amount of preparation is great.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »
Chill. Just because they're not athletes doesn't mean I don't have a great appreciation for it. I came from a bodybuilding background as did my wife. I'll watch just like I do every year. But remember what I do, I train athletes, from high school to REAL Olympian medalists. There is a clear winner and there is a clear loser whether it's by scoring points or crossing a finish line, it's non-subjective and takes an enormous amount of skill and the amount of preparation is great.
I get it you are used to a higher caliber of athletisms but like I said before a 4 year that kicks a ball by definition is an athlete, so you have a beef with the definition cause it is not up to your standards then call up the dictionary and try to change the meaning.

BTW I am chilled, just fooilng about  ;D

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2014, 08:25:08 PM »

But isn't gymnastics too, especially  the floor routines? What about diving? If divers are athletes so is any bodybuilder who incorporates certain gymnastic moves in their routine.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2014, 08:28:30 PM »

First thanks for the props. OTH got it. My point was you are only good at what you practice and are good at. Flexing every muscle group is not easy especially if done correctly. How about squats? I know, it's not done on stage but the average runner could never hang with a experienced squatter.

viking1

• Getbig V

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2014, 06:24:46 AM »

You don't understand it (as usual..), so I refuse to explain it again.

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2014, 07:30:51 AM »

There's a huge difference, Archery is an sport " Olympic Sport", and archers does not need to break the law to do it "compete". the other one...

Gracie Rules