Author Topic: Dumbbell Deadlifts  (Read 22832 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Dumbbell Deadlifts
« on: September 26, 2014, 06:49:22 AM »
This is not about whatīs better Dumbbells or a barbell but i was talking to a Guy today in the Gym about Deadlifts in Generall. As we donīt have a trap Bar and he had never used one i suggested he tries Dumbbell Deadlifts. nice Parallel grip too and no worries about your little pecker getting bruised ;D. infact itīs time i took my own advice and did them myself...

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Dumbbell Deadlifts
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 06:57:02 PM »
This is not about whatīs better Dumbbells or a barbell but i was talking to a Guy today in the Gym about Deadlifts in Generall. As we donīt have a trap Bar and he had never used one i suggested he tries Dumbbell Deadlifts. nice Parallel grip too and no worries about your little pecker getting bruised ;D. infact itīs time i took my own advice and did them myself...

more of a DB squat IMO... why strap?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 10:45:12 PM »
That's not me in the video. Just a random YouTube  video.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 02:46:31 AM »
That's not me in the video. Just a random YouTube  video.

ah

redeemed

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 04:41:01 PM »
more of a DB squat IMO... why strap?

I humbly disagree. It's a deadlift because he is bending over engaging his back. If you use dumbbells for a squat you should keep your back upright and sink it. It really limits the amount of weight you can dumbbell squat. I use on a good day for dumbbell squats two 90lbs for sets of 12 and it's brutal. On a good day bending over and deadlifting style I'm sure I could use two 200lbs. No way could I use those big dumbbells for an upright complete ass to grass squats.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 06:28:06 PM »
I humbly disagree. It's a deadlift because he is bending over engaging his back. If you use dumbbells for a squat you should keep your back upright and sink it. It really limits the amount of weight you can dumbbell squat. I use on a good day for dumbbell squats two 90lbs for sets of 12 and it's brutal. On a good day bending over and deadlifting style I'm sure I could use two 200lbs. No way could I use those big dumbbells for an upright complete ass to grass squats.

potato potato

(that doesn't work well in text...)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 01:19:51 AM »
I agree, nothing wrong with what he is doing in the video.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 02:17:29 PM »
A DL recruits the legs very strongly. When the weigh is held below the waist (DB or Bar..or even trap Bar giving a more natural grip, with the thumbs facing forward) the term Dl is used, but the legs are still involved mainly.  When a bar is placed on the shoulders (well above the waist..the center point) than it is referred to as a squat, where the legs and lower to middle back become involved . BB Hack squats could be labeled a behind the back DL also.

In a true DL, in the classic sense of the word, the legs do the majority of the effort while the back structure keeps the upper body upright. There is no pull from the arms. so a DL is a push (from the legs) and not a pull from the floor. Which also shows the benefit of just holding a weigh in a static position. Holding a bar, as the legs push off the floor, can build a huge back structure. Actually only holding a extra heavy bar taken from a PC, rack, "A" frame, etc can also. build a very good back. Much to be said for static holds, which can be used by serious benchers, DL'ers and squaters. This all builds ligament and tendon strength, helping to add a thicker muscle structure.

The gentleman in the video gives a good example of the common practice of using the lower/upper back with his basic  legs/hips push drive.. I'd give him 3 green lights.

Good Luck.
F