Author Topic: Pope Francis: Big Bang and evolution are real.  (Read 119986 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: Pope Francis: Big Bang and evolution are real.
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2014, 12:21:04 PM »
You'd have to have a very low iq are fundamentalist.

Even lower to think the vast majority of christians actually are.

Seems this sentence was produced by a very low IQ.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2014, 03:10:18 PM »
I don't have a dog in this fight.  I'm not religious nor am I in a hurry to disprove God like a lot of people are.  My question is this....

Why is (The Big Bang Theory) still called a theory if it is has been proven to be scientific fact?

MikMaq

« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2014, 03:21:26 PM »
I don't have a dog in this fight.  I'm not religious nor am I in a hurry to disprove God like a lot of people are.  My question is this....

Why is (The Big Bang Theory) still called a theory if it is has been proven to be scientific fact?
Most things that have been essentially proven are still called theories.
Gravity, Evolution, and relativity are still all theories.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2014, 03:41:54 PM »
Most things that have been essentially proven are still called theories.
Gravity, Evolution, and relativity are still all theories.

Proven, or essentially proven?  There is a difference.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2014, 03:46:04 PM »
Proven, or essentially proven?  There is a difference.

most idiots dont realize that when an idea becomes a "theory" its one of the highest academic achievements. so when people say, "its just a theory" you know they do not know shit about science.

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis or group of hypotheses that have been supported with repeated testing. If enough evidence accumulates to support a hypothesis, it moves to the next step—known as a theory—in the scientific method and becomes accepted as a valid explanation of a phenomenon.
X

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2014, 03:49:09 PM »
most idiots dont realize that when an idea becomes a "theory" its one of the highest academic achievements. so when people say, "its just a theory" you know they do not know shit about science.

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis or group of hypotheses that have been supported with repeated testing. If enough evidence accumulates to support a hypothesis, it moves to the next step—known as a theory—in the scientific method and becomes accepted as a valid explanation of a phenomenon.

A "valid explanation" doesn't sound the same to me and "scientific fact".

Are we gonna act like scientists aren't wrong about shit all the time?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2014, 03:53:17 PM »
A "valid explanation" doesn't sound the same to me and "scientific fact".

Are we gonna act like scientists aren't wrong about shit all the time?

When did I ever say that scientists were never wrong?

Science is about progress. You can hardly every say anything with 100% certainty. Besides mathematics, there are probably not as many "facts" in science as you would think. Again, science is about progress.

However, when a hypothesis has enough repeatable evidence it becomes a "theory." Does that mean it can never be disproven? No. It just means based on the available evidence, it explains the hypothesis. If a hypothesis has over 100 years of repeatable evidence, I am comfortable knowing that its the best explanation we have. Perhaps it will be disproven. Perhaps it will not. Only time will tell.

What more do you want? I, for one, am happy to know that the fundamental nature of science is PROGRESS.

From the national center for science education:
Science uses specialized terms that have different meanings than everyday usage. These definitions correspond to the way scientists typically use these terms in the context of their work. Note, especially, that the meaning of “theory” in science is different than the meaning of “theory” in everyday conversation.

Fact: In science, an observation that has been repeatedly confirmed and for all practical purposes is accepted as “true.” Truth in science, however, is never final and what is accepted as a fact today may be modified or even discarded tomorrow.

Theory: In science, a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses.
X

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2014, 04:00:29 PM »
So science facts are different that regular facts in that they don't have to be 100% guaranteed, indisputably true?  Got it.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2014, 04:04:51 PM »
So science facts are different that regular facts in that they don't have to be 100% guaranteed, indisputably true?  Got it.

Um, we live in an imperfect universe. Humans are fallible and complex. Things are always changing. That is the nature of the world we live in. With that, science has to adapt to an ever changing world. With that, comes new facts, hypotheses, and theories. Thus, you will never hear a scientist say something is 100% guaranteed, indisputably true. No good scientist would say this.

Do you actually think that science can ever come up with anything with 100% certainty on most things?  ??? ???

Either you're trolling or stupid? I hope its the former, because you appear to be a pretty smart guy.
X

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2014, 04:12:25 PM »

Do you actually think that science can ever come up with anything with 100% certainty on most things?  ??? ???

That's my point exactly.  Science is great but it has a lot of limitations.  Not every science lover remembers that when making their bold proclamations crapping on anyone who has a dissenting viewpoint.  The global warming zealots are a good example of this.  They treat people that aren't convinced like mentally retarded neo-nazis that deny the holocaust ever happened.  They crap on religion while not realizing that global warming is a religion of it's own.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2014, 04:18:12 PM »
That's my point exactly.  Science is great but it has a lot of limitations.  Not every science lover remembers that when making their bold proclamations crapping on anyone who has a dissenting viewpoint.  The global warming zealots are a good example of this.  They treat people that aren't convinced like mentally retarded neo-nazis that deny the holocaust ever happened.  They crap on religion while not realizing that global warming is a religion of it's own.

Science is not great, its fundamental. Why do you think the world has progressed so far? Because of nothing else but science. Everything is science. Medicine, technology, engineering, etc. Thus, its baffling when people hate science. May as well throw away your computer and stop taking medicine. Those evil scientists are at it again with their damn medicine and inventing technology!!

I have not studied global warming all that much, so I cannot talk on that subject. Dissenting voices are important, but dissenting voices with EVIDENCE!! You just can't say you hate global warming without presenting evidence. I have no problem with dissenting voices, as long as with that voice comes with evidence of some sort. If not, then you just sound like an idiot who says, "I don't want to believe in global warming, for no other reason than to just not believe in it." Great, but it doesn't work that way. And this can go for any theory or idea, not just global warming.
X

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2014, 04:30:30 PM »
Science is not great, its fundamental. Why do you think the world has progressed so far? Because of nothing else but science. Everything is science. Medicine, technology, engineering, etc. Thus, its baffling when people hate science. May as well throw away your computer and stop taking medicine. Those evil scientists are at it again with their damn medicine and inventing technology!!

I have not studied global warming all that much, so I cannot talk on that subject. Dissenting voices are important, but dissenting voices with EVIDENCE!! You just can't say you hate global warming without presenting evidence. I have no problem with dissenting voices, as long as with that voice comes with evidence of some sort. If not, then you just sound like an idiot who says, "I don't want to believe in global warming, for no other reason than to just not believe in it." Great, but it doesn't work that way. And this can go for any theory or idea, not just global warming.

I don't hate science.  I'm a big fan of science.  Stuff related the the universe and planets, etc is of particular interest to me.  I spend a lot of time reading about it, learning about it, watching documentaries, etc.  All I'm saying is that we should all remember to keep our beliefs in perspective.

I do disagree with something you just said a little bit.  It's not the dissenting voices that need to provide evidence.  The people that are making the claims that they have an explanation to something are the ones that have the burden of proof.  The same thing with God,  I think the people that are claiming there is a God are the ones who should provide the evidence, not the people that are saying "no there isn't a God".  It seems people on both sides of these hotly debated issues want to relax the rules a little bit sometimes.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2014, 04:44:27 PM »
I don't hate science.  I'm a big fan of science.  Stuff related the the universe and planets, etc is of particular interest to me.  I spend a lot of time reading about it, learning about it, watching documentaries, etc.  All I'm saying is that we should all remember to keep our beliefs in perspective.

I do disagree with something you just said a little bit.  It's not the dissenting voices that need to provide evidence.  The people that are making the claims that they have an explanation to something are the ones that have the burden of proof.  The same thing with God,  I think the people that are claiming there is a God are the ones who should provide the evidence, not the people that are saying "no there isn't a God".  It seems people on both sides of these hotly debated issues want to relax the rules a little bit sometimes.

I agree, to a certain extent.

You are correct, but youre also incorrect. In many peer-reviewed journals, you will see papers written that oppose a view and present their own evidence. In fact, these papers are often titled directly against another author. These papers will often present flaws in the methodological approaches associated with said theory, or present opposing viewpoints. These are all ways of provided evidence that "disproves" another's theory. Most people just oppose global warming and come up with some lame reason like, "Its a big conspiracy and thousands of scientists are in on it." Not good enough.
X

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2014, 06:56:56 PM »
Call me crazy, but I believe that the people that are trying to convince me of global warming and the resulting apocalypse that it is supposed to cause need to provide the evidence.  Real, hard, indisputable evidence.  Evidence that....

A.  The planet is actually getting hotter

B.  Human beings are the cause as a result of industrialization, etc.

C.  The "solutions" to global warming will have a real, measurable, significant impact on the problem.

So far they have not been able to do that to my satisfaction or the satisfaction of other people that don't have a vested political, financial or ideological interest in it.  I feel that a simpler and more likely explanation for this hysteria is that it undermines capitalism and takes money out of certain people's wallets and puts it in the wallets of other people.  After all, most of the politicians and activists that are pushing this movement had an anti-capitalist agenda long before they became aware of the issue of global warming.  This is just the latest  tool in their toolbox.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2014, 06:17:28 AM »
Earlier this year the papacy noted that Martin Luther's protest had ended and encouraged the reformed church to end their continued protest of Rome as well.   Pope Francis wants Catholics and Christians (excuse men - Evangelicals or Charismatics) to unite.   Beautiful sentiment and would be very nice.  My only problem is I that have issue with putting Rome ahead of Jesus Christ.   Sorry but I'm a sola scriptura advocate, not a sola Roma advocate.

MikMaq

« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2014, 06:59:24 AM »
Earlier this year the papacy noted that Martin Luther's protest had ended and encouraged the reformed church to end their continued protest of Rome as well.   Pope Francis wants Catholics and Christians (excuse men - Evangelicals or Charismatics) to unite.   Beautiful sentiment and would be very nice.  My only problem is I that have issue with putting Rome ahead of Jesus Christ.   Sorry but I'm a sola scriptura advocate, not a sola Roma advocate.
That's science fiction.

Catholics have more interest in Islumists that protty's.

Protestants are fucking morons, they took a midevil edition of christanity and held on to it for centuries.

Catholicism has always had an element of intelligence, protestanism cannot match. 

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2014, 07:06:51 AM »

Does that mean Protestants would have to start worshipping Mary, accept the dreadfully inconvenient layover of Purgatory, and extend their kneelfest funerals a couple hours, so their family and friends can pray their souls up to heaven?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2014, 09:02:43 AM »
That's science fiction.

Catholics have more interest in Islumists that protty's.

Protestants are fucking morons, they took a midevil edition of christanity and held on to it for centuries.

Catholicism has always had an element of intelligence, protestanism cannot match. 

LOL!!  Ok.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2014, 09:10:46 AM »
Does that mean that Protestants would have to start worshipping Mary, accept the dreadfully inconvenient layover of Purgatory, and extend their funerals a couple hours, so their family and friends can pray their souls up to heaven?

Yep, that's my understanding.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2014, 09:34:23 AM »

LOLOL. the globe is warming, it's a fact, like 2 degree celcius is hotter then 1 degree. HAHAHA on the god comment, youre the one asserting a all powerful sky daddy, how can anyone prove a negative? what about the cheese monster on the moon, prove he doesn't exist, or the garden elf that hides behind your back. you are no fan of science, no one would suggest such irrational concepts.

Anyone who says there is no god in all seriousness is geussing, no one knows, there is no good evidence for God or thor or zeus. Why don't you beleive in zeus?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2014, 01:43:39 PM »
Yep, that's my understanding.

Good times.

Dr.J

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2014, 09:19:44 PM »
Pope is the shit, he is from argentina and his favorite team is San Lorenzo!
Mr. AZ 2003

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2014, 11:18:44 PM »
Congrats. The Church's teachings have been compatible with evolution since an encyclical in the 50's. Nice of everybody to be shocked, tho.
This.

Never understood why so many argued either way.

Both views can be compatible.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2014, 11:52:15 PM »
LOLOL. the globe is warming, it's a fact, like 2 degree celcius is hotter then 1 degree.

What are you basing that on?  Says who?  Is it real data or projected data?  For how long has the globe been warming?  What about the alleged "global warming pause" since 1998?

HAHAHA on the god comment, youre the one asserting a all powerful sky daddy, how can anyone prove a negative? what about the cheese monster on the moon, prove he doesn't exist, or the garden elf that hides behind your back. you are no fan of science, no one would suggest such irrational concepts.

Anyone who says there is no god in all seriousness is geussing, no one knows, there is no good evidence for God or thor or zeus. Why don't you beleive in zeus?

I have no idea what you are talking about.  I feel like you did not understand a single word of my post.  You are talking to me as if I am advocating that God exists when my post was about just the opposite.  Re-read my post dude.  Slowly....out loud if it will help you.

I'll wait.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2014, 04:05:47 AM »
What are you basing that on?  Says who?  Is it real data or projected data?  For how long has the globe been warming?  What about the alleged "global warming pause" since 1998?

I have no idea what you are talking about.  I feel like you did not understand a single word of my post.  You are talking to me as if I am advocating that God exists when my post was about just the opposite.  Re-read my post dude.  Slowly....out loud if it will help you.

I'll wait.

There has been no pause, nasa and every credible scientist in the world, every single meterological society and organization, the UN. Satellite data, ocean data, tree data, ice core data etc. pauses are part of most models also, there should be slowing at particular times, for example when the polar vortex oscillated south due to ice melt, that alters air temp quite drastically. The globe is warming, it's not up for debate, like gravity isn't up for debate, the evidence is literally overwhelming.

I went full retard on your god stuff, I read it to fast.