Author Topic: I need to get this off of my chest.  (Read 16695 times)

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
Re: I need to get this off of my chest.
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2014, 12:51:22 AM »
X2.

If you have ever been addicted to drugs or alcohol you are one for the rest of your life. HTH.

Yep.

I have addicts/alcoholics in my family. Very well off, smart, business savvy etc etc.... but their entire life is held together by the twice a week meeting they go to. Keep in mind these are millionaires, own mid level businesses, well known members of south orange county communities etc etc, not degenerate hillbillies like Shizzo.... they humble themselves and admit to be "powerless" over their booze or their cocaine.

If you want a chance of success shizzo, you need to humble yourself man.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2014, 01:45:01 AM »
Yep.

I have addicts/alcoholics in my family. Very well off, smart, business savvy etc etc.... but their entire life is held together by the twice a week meeting they go to. Keep in mind these are millionaires, own mid level businesses, well known members of south orange county communities etc etc, not degenerate hillbillies like Shizzo.... they humble themselves and admit to be "powerless" over their booze or their cocaine.

If you want a chance of success shizzo, you need to humble yourself man.
Good for them. I am not knocking AA meetings by any means.

It has been a good life experience for me. That does not mean I will have to go for the rest of my life to stay sober.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2014, 01:51:16 AM »
Good for them. I am not knocking AA meetings by any means.

It has been a good life experience for me. That does not mean I will have to go for the rest of my life to stay sober.

We'll see.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2014, 01:56:14 AM »
Before you speak, you say "Hi I'm Shaun, and I am an alcoholic."

But I dont agree with that.

Im Shaun, and I was an alcoholic.

I will never drink again.

There are dudes that have been sober for 20+ years that still say they are alcoholics.

Not me.

you started a similiar thread about a month ago

where you were giving up then were just gong to drink on weekends

you have no concept of yourself

you are a life long addict

the starting point to recovery is to admit that

T

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2014, 02:18:18 AM »
you started a similiar thread about a month ago

where you were giving up then were just gong to drink on weekends

you have no concept of yourself

you are a life long addict

the starting point to recovery is to admit that

Sure I have/had a drinking problem. The program I am involved in has made this all too real.

But I believe (with some help from others) that it was caught quick enough. Lets put it into perspective, I am 33 years old and have been drinking for around 3 years of my life.

I know I have a problem now, but I feel that time can heal that.

I had to get a slap across the face and a kick in the ass to notice how serious this issue was.

I didn't respect the power of alcohol.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2014, 02:45:44 AM »
X2.

If you have ever been addicted to drugs or alcohol you are one for the rest of your life. HTH.

Not sure I agree. I know all about Bill W., his program, and what the addiction experts all say, but I really think they're over simplifying the issue. And most of the counselors are themselves recovering something-or-others, who view the entire world through the eyes of an addict and accept the literature as gospel.

I've heard "experts" swear that if you've ever been drunk even once, you're an alcoholic, which sounds completely absurd. And they'll often immediately conclude that any other minor behavioral issue you make the mistake of "sharing" (overate once or twice, got a bit reckless with a credit card, etc.) is likewise an addiction that requires another recovery group in addition to theirs.

They are far from objective observers, and quite frankly, are themselves often entirely more fucked up than most of their clients. They live and breathe recovery, and everything in their lives revolves around meetings, steps, the program, and their "disease." They simply trade their substance addiction for a new one: the cult of recovery.

Back to the original point, though: Personalities vary, as do individual battles (successes and failures) with whatever substance one is currently struggling or has struggled. It's far from a perfect theory or system, and plenty of folks deal with their shit, either working the program, or simply quitting cold turkey. And plenty of those same folks eventually grow out of the reckless mindset that contributed to their problematic overindulgences, and no longer behave like addicts anymore (despite popular belief). They can even have a few drinks now and then ("Relapse" to the cultists) and be absolutely fine, just like any other responsible social drinker. They don't immediately fall back into the same impulsive habits anymore, as the experts would have you believe, because they are no longer that person. Happens all the time, just not with everybody.

It's absolutely behavioral and behavior can change. Obviously some are more prone to the behavior than others, but to call it a disease undermines/alters the word's definition (regardless of what the AMA says; they also said homosexuality was a mental disorder, so let's apply a little perspective with these geniuses). Plus, it's incredibly insulting to folks with cancer, MS, ALS, etc., who can't just twelve step their way to good health. In no universe, can a disease force your hand to grip a bottle and raise it to your mouth. The desire may be overwhelming, but following through is a CHOICE, absolute no-brainer.

Bottom line: If the program helps, embrace it; if you know you've outgrown your "addiction," live your life accordingly and ignore the cultist dogma.

Fuck, that was a Prime/Basile novel there: TL;DR;GFM!

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2014, 02:48:10 AM »
"Hi my name's Shizzo and I'm a cockoholic who wants to stop drinking"

"Welcome to the group Shizzo, when is the last time you drank?"

"I've been clean for 10 days now"

"Are you sure, you look dirty as shit?"

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2014, 02:51:27 AM »
"Hi my name's Shizzo and I'm a cockoholic who wants to stop drinking"

"Welcome to the group Shizzo, when is the last time you drank?"

"I've been clean for 10 days now"

"Are you sure, you look dirty as shit?"
;D

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2014, 02:52:21 AM »
Not sure I agree. I know all about Bill W., his program, and what the addiction experts all say, but I really think they're over simplifying the issue. And most of the counselors are themselves recovering something-or-others, who view the entire world through the eyes of an addict and accept the literature as gospel.

I've heard "experts" swear that if you've ever been drunk even once, you're an alcoholic, which sounds completely absurd. And they'll often immediately conclude that any other minor behavioral issue you make the mistake of "sharing" (overate once or twice, got a bit reckless with a credit card, etc.) is likewise an addiction that requires another recovery group in addition to theirs.

They are far from objective observers, and quite frankly, are themselves often entirely more fucked up than most of their clients. They live and breathe recovery, and everything in their lives revolves around meetings, steps, the program, and their "disease." They simply trade their substance addiction for a new one: the cult of recovery.

Back to the original point, though: Personalities vary, as do individual battles (successes and failures) with whatever substance issue with which one has battled. It's far from a perfect theory or system, and plenty of folks deal with their shit, either working the program, or simply quitting cold turkey. And plenty of those same folks eventually grow out of the reckless mindset that contributed to their problematic overindulgences, and no longer behave like addicts anymore (despite popular belief). They can even have a few drinks now and then ("Relapse" to the cultists) and be absolutely fine, just like any other responsible social drinker. They don't immediately fall back into the same impulsive habits anymore because they are no longer that person. Happens all the time, just not with everybody.

It's absolutely behavioral and behavior can change. Obviously some are more prone to the behavior than others, but to call it a disease undermines/alters the word's definition, and it's incredibly insulting to folks with cancer, MS, ALS, etc., who can't just twelve step their way to good health (and I really don't give a fuck what the AMA says; they also said homosexuality was a mental disorder, so let's apply a little perspective with these cats). In no universe, can a disease force your hand to grip a bottle and raise it to your mouth. The desire may be overwhelming, but following through is a CHOICE, absolute no-brainer.

Bottom line: If the program helps, embrace it; if you know you've outgrown your "addiction," live your life accordingly and ignore the cultist dogma.

Fuck, that was a Prime/Basile novel there: TL;DR;GFM!
Great post. I agree

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2014, 02:52:32 AM »
Before you speak, you say "Hi I'm Shaun, and I am an alcoholic."

But I dont agree with that.

Im Shaun, and I was an alcoholic.

I will never drink again.

There are dudes that have been sober for 20+ years that still say they are alcoholics.

Not me.

This is an eventual possibility, for sure. But you are so far from knowing at this point, your certainty is absurd.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2014, 02:57:01 AM »
This is an eventual possibility, for sure. But you are so far from knowing at this point, your certainty is absurd.
It's more false bravado than anything.

I don't know what to expect to be honest.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2014, 03:09:35 AM »
i hear the devil talking to me this morning telling me to go do some really bad things,hes telling me to drink my boones farm wine(STARWBWERRY)i have in the fridge and go to camden and grab some heroin.im resisting him though
R

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2014, 03:10:18 AM »
Speaking of alcoholism, what happened to Wes?

D.O.A.

• Getbig IV
  • Revenge is a dish best served ice cold
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2014, 03:11:17 AM »
Once you are an alcoholic always an alcoholic. You are just not a practicing one but it is in your blood.
The end!

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2014, 03:16:53 AM »
Once you are an alcoholic always an alcoholic. You are just not a practicing one but it is in your blood.
The end!
TRUE MAN,SAME FOR DRUG ADDICTS LIKE MYSELF,ITS A BATTLE EVERYDAY FOR ME
R

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2014, 03:17:54 AM »
The end!
I really think that Ugly was spot on in his assesment. Alcoholism should be judged by the individual.

A broad spectrum is fine, but there are exceptions.

I didn't need rehab or detox.

I did need to wake up though.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2014, 03:19:02 AM »
It's more false bravado than anything.

I don't know what to expect to be honest.

Excellent reply. Respect your honesty.

Stick with them for the time being. Let it run its course. Might just need them to help you past the (sure to arise again) impulses. Might find you need them when your aching to hit the liquor store. Go to a meeting instead; it will save you from falling back and renew your sobriety mindset. Use it until you don't need it, or keep going forever. Just don't make any decisions now because it's all too fresh, and it's the best option out there.

It took me months to come to the decision I posted several minutes back, but in the beginning AA absolutely helped get my head straight.

D.O.A.

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2014, 03:19:49 AM »
i hear the devil talking to me this morning telling me to go do some really bad things,hes telling me to drink my boones farm wine(STARWBWERRY)i have in the fridge and go to camden and grab some heroin.im resisting him though
just keep postponing it 5min at the time till the obsession goes away or think it all the way thru.
To the part where you go to jail for a long time or your son finds you all blue and stiff.

Simple Simon

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2014, 03:21:47 AM »
Isnt it odd that voices in your head never tell you to do anything positive?

D.O.A.

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2014, 03:21:57 AM »
TRUE MAN,SAME FOR DRUG ADDICTS LIKE MYSELF,ITS A BATTLE EVERYDAY FOR ME
of course it is. Its a fucking nightmare but there are millions like you or me. Not just you .

D.O.A.

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2014, 03:22:44 AM »
Isnt it odd that voices in your head never tell you to do anything positive?
Hahahaha!

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2014, 03:22:58 AM »
i know a guy whos been drinking heavy since high school, he recently quit for a month and started having alot of health problems,he started drinking again and the health problems r gone,even the doctor is puzzled by this
R

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2014, 03:23:24 AM »
You posted better drunk.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2014, 03:26:54 AM »
You posted better drunk.
People would argue that I have never posted anything worthwhile regardless  ;D

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2014, 03:28:40 AM »
The end!

Disagree, and it has zero to do with your blood. Some/many/most? may struggle with it their whole lives, but what you're repeating is simply AA dogma. A single exception proves it wrong. I know dozens. Dudes who drank their lives away in their 20s and 30s are 50/60 now, drinking a single beer or glass of wine with dinner. No desire to have another or get drunk. Shouldn't be possible, yet here they are.