Author Topic: Charles Poliquin Synthol?  (Read 14030 times)

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
Re: Charles Poliquin Synthol?
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2015, 09:04:28 PM »
always enjoyed reading his stuff.
l

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 02:47:17 AM »
Charles knows everything, he'll even let you know that as well...

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 03:01:25 AM »
Having read some of the shit Poliquin has written in recent times, I think the guy is mentally ill.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 03:04:21 AM »

He's simply working grip and forearms too, while working biceps with the thick bars. Some of it's gimmick, some of it comes from working mainly with athletes where gripping, etc.... is a large part of their sport.

Here's the long winded answer that he uses -

http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/737/Why_&_How_To_Use_Thick_Bar_Tr%3Cspan%20style= .
I remember an old article of Lee Priest where he said that he never did direct forearm work. It was from just holding onto the bar. The pics used for interview show him using an Olympic bench bar for curls. I don't know if he did that on the regular or not. But, that is a thick bar. And curiously, Frank McGrath in his infamous Animal training vids, curled with a straight Olympic bench bar.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 05:14:14 AM »
Those arms do look weird as fuck. Sad that he does oil I thought he was a somewhat intelligent fella.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 06:17:01 AM »
Having read some of the shit Poliquin has written in recent times, I think the guy is mentally ill.

I also believe he has some issues.  However, a good portion of his methods are quite sound. 

I've noticed that most "trainers" have ego problems.  Some even have delusions of godhood.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2015, 07:00:27 AM »
I also believe he has some issues.  However, a good portion of his methods are quite sound. 

I've noticed that most "trainers" have ego problems.  Some even have delusions of godhood.

His older stuff is good but most of his more recent material is just quackery and new age horseshit.

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2015, 07:18:18 AM »
I love these trainers who do steroids and still claim they know everything...fuck em all! : )

Its like listen to a person taking depression pills and tell you how to be happy and enjoy life... ::)

Both of these type of people would be mentally dead without any achievement in life whatsoever without their drugs! But they have taking them for a long period of time and start believe their achievement are from personal drive/strength/mental motivation...delusional stupid fuckers!

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2015, 10:11:14 AM »
I was interested in his time under tension training but i hear its total shit or fuckig great. I did a couple workouts and i love it

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2015, 11:41:25 AM »
His older stuff is good but most of his more recent material is just quackery and new age horseshit.

I do wonder how much is what he really believes, and how much is just to sell articles and move product. After a certain point most strength coaches simply cover all there is to be covered, and either simply write interesting add ons, or short topics, or they really start branching off, ala Poliquin. I have heard that serious paying clients get programs much closer to old Poliquin than new.

I was interested in his time under tension training but i hear its total shit or fuckig great. I did a couple workouts and i love it

I liked the old versions of it, you definitely feel like you are doing something in the gym, and I did notice on average, a slight bump in mass and strength against a normal program. I think the guys that have the worst luck with it either try to shoehorn it into everything or try to change it into a SuperSlow/HIT type program. As always, old Poliquin is the best Poliquin.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2015, 11:45:10 AM »
I do wonder how much is what he really believes, and how much is just to sell articles and move product. After a certain point most strength coaches simply cover all there is to be covered, and either simply write interesting add ons, or short topics, or they really start branching off, ala Poliquin. I have heard that serious paying clients get programs much closer to old Poliquin than new.

I liked the old versions of it, you definitely feel like you are doing something in the gym, and I did notice on average, a slight bump in mass and strength against a normal program. I think the guys that have the worst luck with it either try to shoehorn it into everything or try to change it into a SuperSlow/HIT type program. As always, old Poliquin is the best Poliquin.

Do you hVe a link showing his old plans? I am not following anything more than just TUT sets. 3 sets of 2 different exercises for a body part. 40-60 seconds per set. Maybe thats all i need though?

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2015, 12:13:51 PM »

Do you hVe a link showing his old plans? I am not following anything more than just TUT sets. 3 sets of 2 different exercises for a body part. 40-60 seconds per set. Maybe thats all i need though?

Most of the better TUT stuff was offered in Muscle Media back in the 90's and doesn't seem to be online. I do think you're on the right track with your general idea though.

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2015, 01:52:48 PM »
Biceps and forearms are one of the few body parts he can train properly anymore so they look disproportionally developed.

LOL at synthol or jab marks in his arms. All we are seeing is the last vestiges of a physique that was once 15-20kg more muscular.

The harder you grip something the more motor units you will fire, hence the use of fat grips.  For old guys fat grip work is especially good for combatting elbow and shoulder issues. The tighter you grip for example, the more you will activate the rotator cuff muscles and protect the shoulder.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2015, 02:09:58 PM »
He is a scam artist/insane.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2015, 03:44:01 PM »
Put him a white lab coat and half the people on this board will use him as their primary MD...

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2015, 06:09:17 PM »
I like the way the skin under his chest and arms is taped up onto his back.....

Don't think so? Ha ha!

famous photographer trick.

There's more shit goin on in that photo than you can imagine, and yeah, it also sucks getting old if you are desperately trying to hang on to your youth.

You can only do so much and you sure can't do what you did, but the one thing you CAN do is be more intelligent... than you were.

Then what's my excuse?

I have other interests besides bodybuilding and clinging to my youth. It's an effort in futility, which is why I play music, travel, spend hours in the graphic arts arena... martial arts....

Don't try to hang on to that body. It fades after 40 or so.

If it hasn't.. it will. Deal wit it mang.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2015, 09:01:58 PM »

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »
He is a scam artist/insane.

He's like everyone's crazy uncle in the family. Ove the years he's gone a little off the deep end with some of his theories. But before you go dismissing him as a scam artist, you have to take into account the athletes (Olympians) he's trained and helped which is a shit load. Btw, if any of you have worked with thick bars you should know what he's talking about. We have a few in my gym.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2015, 12:59:40 AM »
He's like everyone's crazy uncle in the family. Ove the years he's gone a little off the deep end with some of his theories. But before you go dismissing him as a scam artist, you have to take into account the athletes (Olympians) he's trained and helped which is a shit load. Btw, if any of you have worked with thick bars you should know what he's talking about. We have a few in my gym.

He can be legit on one level but still be a scam artist.

The guy is also a many decades long juicer himself, funny how has a gut as well, which
indicates a messed up hormone profile according to himself. Maybe he needs to take his
own supps to fix the problem.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2015, 02:19:46 AM »

I think the info he provides to paying clients probably differs to the stuff he writes publicly.