Author Topic: Wrestling "Punch" question for Montague.  (Read 1797 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Wrestling "Punch" question for Montague.
« on: May 12, 2015, 04:00:20 PM »
Caught a bit Raw this week and saw a match between Kane and Roman Reigns.

I was impressed by how realistic both their punches looked. Trying to analyze their technique, it seems like they keep their fists closed until the last fraction of a second, then open up their hands and land the blow to the side of the neck/upper trap area.

Is this correct?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Wrestling "Punch" question for Montague.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 06:27:39 PM »
Sorry, I just saw thread.
I must admit that I have not watched any current programming consistently for several years, now.

Having said that, I can tell you that there are some rather neat tricks to making punches look real. Perhaps my favorite is Terry Funk's subtlety and finesse. Terry never left any "wind" in his punches. He connected with everything with seemingly full force. I believe he would actually connect with his wrist, which substantially softened the blow without him pulling the delivery. Foley discussed this in his book.
I don't know if it's something he learned in Japan, or came up with on his own, but it looked great!!

Conversely, I remember watching Hogan deliver a series of working punches to King Kong Bundy in their Wrestlemania II match. Hulkster left a good 2 inches between his hand and Bundy's head during some of those blows, and it couldn't have fooled a half-witted toddler.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 07:03:46 PM »
Cool stuff, Monty.

Check out the punch Kane throws at the :20 mark. It's looks so real.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RSg44AlpjGQ

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 10:30:31 AM »
Just some random thoughts before I head back to work:

I always liked the realism of the Japanese pro style. The key to it was stiffness! Those guys followed through and connected with everything. No wind was left between punches or kicks.

Kane's longevity amazes me! I am frankly surprised that his body has held up & his character hasn't grown stale. Not too many guys last in the business as long as he has. I always liked his ring style. He moves and acts the way a "monster" should.

Bret used to throw some solid punches that wouldn't hurt a fly. In fact, Bret had one of the most solid-looking styles IMO and a fantastic track record of safety. That, to me, constitutes a great ring worker.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 06:04:04 PM »
Sorry, I just saw thread.
I must admit that I have not watched any current programming consistently for several years, now.

Having said that, I can tell you that there are some rather neat tricks to making punches look real. Perhaps my favorite is Terry Funk's subtlety and finesse. Terry never left any "wind" in his punches. He connected with everything with seemingly full force. I believe he would actually connect with his wrist, which substantially softened the blow without him pulling the delivery. Foley discussed this in his book.
I don't know if it's something he learned in Japan, or came up with on his own, but it looked great!!

Conversely, I remember watching Hogan deliver a series of working punches to King Kong Bundy in their Wrestlemania II match. Hulkster left a good 2 inches between his hand and Bundy's head during some of those blows, and it couldn't have fooled a half-witted toddler.

Ahhh the legendary Funk forearms.....Dory had some killer ones too.  :)

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 12:11:45 AM »
Don't forget Rick Flair with his jabs and chops!
?

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 04:46:14 PM »
I love Cesaro's diving forearm off the second turnbuckle. Guy has talent and is strong as a bull.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 06:44:33 AM »
Kane is one of the most respected workers in the WWE.  Many say he is the strongest and safest person they have ever been in the ring with.