Author Topic: The Mature thread  (Read 245303 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: The Mature thread
« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2012, 03:07:51 AM »
Great workout Booty.. i find after Chest even training Triceps hard but shoulders too? ...respect. I will get back on track next week just working out 3 days a week because training 5 days i find hard. Therefor today i will train Shoulders and Arms. I need a days break between sessions. You know if i lived near a beach in the US or Australia i would love to go for morning runs and evening walks on the beach. A friend of mine finished his time in our Army and joined the Australian Army. seems to like it over there.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2012, 03:56:10 AM »
Great workout Booty.. i find after Chest even training Triceps hard but shoulders too? ...respect. I will get back on track next week just working out 3 days a week because training 5 days i find hard. Therefor today i will train Shoulders and Arms. I need a days break between sessions. You know if i lived near a beach in the US or Australia i would love to go for morning runs and evening walks on the beach. A friend of mine finished his time in our Army and joined the Australian Army. seems to like it over there.
Thanks Donny.   I always train delts with chest, but the last coulple of years have split my delts up so that I am doing rears with back.  I am still just easing back into my training after a layoff due to recovering from my surgery plus the inconsistancy from the sinus/throat/chest infections.
I love walking on the beach too in the evenings.  I think I will go for a dip in the ocean this weekened, to help with the DOMS. 

Legs.

Walking lunges x 3 sets (10 reps each leg so in total 20 reps per set)
Thigh extensions x 4 sets
SLD's x 3 sets
Seated hamstring curls x 4 sets
Thigh adductor x 4 sets
Standing calf raises x 3 sets

Nose is swelling and my friend noticed it as well.  I am learning to live with it, although it's not really good when my friend tells me that she can see my nose is swelling and thats from accross the room. 

Finished with a soak in the bath with salts.  Just kept the temp to luke warm though.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #177 on: December 07, 2012, 07:08:24 AM »
youŽll feel it after that workout Booty... ;D

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #178 on: December 07, 2012, 03:24:37 PM »
youŽll feel it after that workout Booty... ;D
Yeah I can feel it already in my legs, but it's not too bad.  Mind you it's only the morning after. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #179 on: December 07, 2012, 04:02:06 PM »
I live near the Jersey shore. It's fantastic to run the board walk by the ocean. Now after Sandy it's all off limits. Military and Police limit access. I even use to run on board walk near the bay side that's now destroyed. I miss my Ocean side runs. Looking forward to the Shore returning. The beaches in NJ are are really amazing depending where you go. I have been to beaches all over the US and I will tell you a secret. We have better beaches than anyone. You just have to know where to go.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2012, 05:25:21 PM »
great delt wkout thurs,,,smith fr press then did side laterals ran the rack 35,30,25,20,sets of 8-10 2x around,,reverse bent over cable rear delt,db press x2,,cable up right with seperate handles together instead bar x2,,traps...forearms,calves

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #181 on: December 07, 2012, 09:47:22 PM »
great delt wkout thurs,,,smith fr press then did side laterals ran the rack 35,30,25,20,sets of 8-10 2x around,,reverse bent over cable rear delt,db press x2,,cable up right with seperate handles together instead bar x2,,traps...forearms,calves

Seems familiar....I use the Smith press which offers a choice of three different hand positions as the cornerstone of my deltoid workout. I vary the hand position from on work out to the next. Then I hit the dumbbells and work them from a variety of different positions, using three sets and 12-8 reps for each position. I finish off with upright rows. If I am feeling really inspired, I will do Hammer Strength rear presses too before hitting the dumbbells.

Got to get my fat ass back in the gym soon!  ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #182 on: December 08, 2012, 02:47:24 AM »
some great workouts going on here. I hope you can get back to your beach runs Oldtimer.. i would love the fresh air and wind in my face walking along the beach..paradise. Mind you i would turn into a beach bum...lol. Always liked driving near the sea as a kid with my Family. Today itŽs a bit fresh outside but tonight before i settle down to watch TV i will go for an Hour walk for fresh air and i sleep better. Monday i will train Chest/Back again.

mdn250

• Getbig II
« Reply #183 on: December 08, 2012, 09:23:36 AM »
First back workout since getting back in the gym after aggrivating old disc problem.

Reverse grip pulldows 3 sets 10-12reps
Close grip V bar pulldowns 3sets 10-12reps
Hammer Strength seated row 3sets 10-12reps (one arm at a time, inside neutral grip)
Hammer Strength shrugs 3sets 10-12reps (seated)
Hyperextensions 3sets 8-12reps (varied reps, more worried about moving smooth and tight posture)

Felt some discomfort but this seems to be something I can do until the pain goes away. So far its slowly getting better, almost considered doing reverse barbell rows but not yet :)

PS- Can't wait to switch back to my old gym when my current expires soon. They have same stuff but they have the supported Tbar which is a personal favorite. Haven't used that in many many years. I honestly like it more than the oldschool Tbar setup even when I had no back problems and could do whatever I wanted...just has this nice groove and its not really a machine since its not in a locked path, just supported. Kind of like the one arm DB rows at Bev Francis's gym. The bench can rest the db and you get in perfect position where you can't cheat at all unless you start swinging lol.

MDN

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #184 on: December 08, 2012, 09:40:50 AM »
nice to hear from you. I would leave out the reverse BB rows till you are better but if you can use the supported T bar row later in the new gym then all the better. Hammer strength rows i liked in the Gym. Also liked the hammer pull down machine...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #185 on: December 09, 2012, 02:00:59 AM »
Looked out the window this morning....

mdn250

• Getbig II
« Reply #186 on: December 09, 2012, 08:45:47 AM »
nice to hear from you. I would leave out the reverse BB rows till you are better but if you can use the supported T bar row later in the new gym then all the better. Hammer strength rows i liked in the Gym. Also liked the hammer pull down machine...

I also like the Hammer Strength Pulldowns they are a personal favorite of mine. Both the gyms 'close' to my home have the one with the overhandgrip. Angled diaganal so you can't grab it underhand. You can only do it one other way by grabbing hold of the actual arms which is a nice movement to do last since you cant go too heavy.

The only thing I am going to miss in my current gym is the Hammer Strength pulldown with reverse grip. The one Dorian always used. The gym I am going to go back to however, has a pullover machine which a lot have phased out. I LOVE doing those pullover machines for 3sets 10reps to get the back nice and pumped.

MDN

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #187 on: December 09, 2012, 10:00:05 AM »
very heavy challenging leg workout am
warmed up 4 sets of heavy wght 12 rep sets extensions
then leg press x3 5 plates per side,then 6 ,then 7 12/10/8-10 reps per set
close stance squat x3 275,315,365 ,12/10/8
lunge up steps 50 lb db up skipped every other step so 12 steps up 18 down did it in consecutive sets up,down,up,down,rested then again ..

hams
seated and lying leg curls 6 sets total

calve superset seated and legs press toe press 20 rep sets 3 x around

great pump...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #188 on: December 09, 2012, 10:07:31 AM »
I did not do anything today...just 1 hour walking through the snow... ;D

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #189 on: December 09, 2012, 03:29:52 PM »
Looked out the window this morning....
Wow.  Now that's snow...

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #190 on: December 10, 2012, 12:15:12 AM »
I didn't do anything today either.  I was supose to train back yesterday and got ready to go to gym with my best friend.  She picked me up early and said lets get something to eat first and so we went to ribs and rumps.  Then of course after steak she wanted to let food go down so we did some shopping.  Next minute she said she's too slack to train and by this stage I was tired too, as it was later in the afternoon and I had very little sleep the night before as my kitten bought a baby snake into the house.  Today I got into a cleaning mode and cleaned the home from top to bottom.  My nose was swollen from the heat alone.  I thought it was better if I let it settle down as it was swollen even at the top of the bridge. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2012, 12:30:21 AM »
I didn't do anything today either.  I was supose to train back yesterday and got ready to go to gym with my best friend.  She picked me up early and said lets get something to eat first and so we went to ribs and rumps.  Then of course after steak she wanted to let food go down so we did some shopping.  Next minute she said she's too slack to train and by this stage I was tired too, as it was later in the afternoon and I had very little sleep the night before as my kitten bought a baby snake into the house.  Today I got into a cleaning mode and cleaned the home from top to bottom.  My nose was swollen from the heat alone.  I thought it was better if I let it settle down as it was swollen even at the top of the bridge. 

Why is your nose still swelling?

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #192 on: December 10, 2012, 12:43:33 AM »
Why is your nose still swelling?
Apparently it swells from the heat and anything that raises my blood pressure.  So when I exercise/weight train it swells.  And I live in a hot humid climate and its summer.  Even laying on my back sleeping on one pillow will cause it to swell.  I slept sitting up against 3 pillows for a month but I can't do it any longer. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #193 on: December 10, 2012, 12:50:40 AM »
Apparently it swells from the heat and anything that raises my blood pressure.  So when I exercise/weight train it swells.  And I live in a hot humid climate and its summer.  Even laying on my back sleeping on one pillow will cause it to swell.  I slept sitting up against 3 pillows for a month but I can't do it any longer. 

So is the swelling unrelated to the surgery you had?

Many years ago, I had a deviated septum repaired. It took about 6 months for the swelling to completely subside. However, it was not affected by heat or my blood pressure.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #194 on: December 10, 2012, 12:55:29 AM »
So is the swelling unrelated to the surgery you had?

Many years ago, I had a deviated septum repaired. It took about 6 months for the swelling to completely subside. However, it was not affected by heat or my blood pressure.
Yes it is.  It's only been 6.5 weeks since my surgery.  I had rhinoplasty on the bridge of my nose to straighten it, as well as my sinus's cleaned out.  It's common and perfectly normal for my nose to be swollen apparently.  It just sucks that it swells so easily, especially under the heat because I can't escape the heat long enough for it to go down. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: December 10, 2012, 01:03:38 AM »
I see.

If you lived here in Oregon, you'd be enjoying rain and more rain with highs in the mid to low 40's. It is winter here.

Can you ice your nose? Try a package of frozen peas.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #196 on: December 10, 2012, 01:17:00 AM »
I see.

If you lived here in Oregon, you'd be enjoying rain and more rain with highs in the mid to low 40's. It is winter here.

Can you ice your nose? Try a package of frozen peas.
Yes a colder climate would be ideal for my recovery.  Especially since I can't wear my sunnies.  I was wearing them for 4 days but they were leaving indents on my nose for hours and hours where the nose pads sat even after wearing them for 5 mins.  I googled it and surgeons said that the bones were strong enough to stand the weight of the glasses but due to swelling it created dents which sometimes were left permanent on patients they had seen.  So I put my sunnies away.   :(
I might try the frozen pack of peas PM.  Thank you for your advice.  This might just do the job and bring some swelling down quickly for me even if it's only temporary.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #197 on: December 10, 2012, 01:28:05 AM »
Be sure to not leave the frozen peas on too long. Best to only leave it on for 20 minutes max per hour.. People have gotten frost bite from leaving cold packs on too long. Also be sure to protect your skin by putting something between the cold pack and your nose like a dry wash cloth or  some paper towels.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #198 on: December 10, 2012, 01:34:47 AM »
Must have been hard sleeping sitting up. although after a few nights you would be very tired and could sleep i bet.. wish i could send some snow over.. ;) although i just walked last night around 5pm our time it was very fresh and windy and i liked it, i slept like a babe last night. Even in winter i wear a t-shirt under my jacket as too many layers make me too hot. I always wear short sleeves. I like cooler climates and always sleep with a slightly open window, i always sleep naked too.. ;) ;D( not Bodybuilding related ..LOL) some Women in the past have remarked on this and i run around at home always in shorts and Barefoot. I feel for you in such heat in Australia and it really must be uncomfortable. Still from the last picture you sent it looks OK. You have a nice complexion and smooth skin. Well today i will go back to my 3 Day split and will try a superset workout i wrote in WoooŽs thread. Nice fast pace. Chest+Back always a winner... ;)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #199 on: December 10, 2012, 01:37:46 AM »
Be sure to not leave the frozen peas on too long. Best to only leave it on for 20 minutes max per hour.. People have gotten frost bite from leaving cold packs on too long. Also be sure to protect your skin by putting something between the cold pack and your nose like a dry wash cloth or  some paper towels.

yes good points..remember icing my knee after an op.. but your face is a lot more sensitive..