Author Topic: where are all the McGregor haters today?  (Read 14158 times)

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
Re: where are all the McGregor haters today?
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2015, 02:56:24 PM »
It's amusing to see how some people get so fixated over seeing Connor lose.  I've been pretty neutral as far as whether Connor wins or loses. During the Connor - Aldo promotion I didn't favor either to win  I wanted to see a good matchup and may the best man win. I could care less about the trash talking or lack of for publicity's sake. Once the Connor train started rolling I was pretty fascinated by the amount of work he put in to get to where he is in two years.

Connor was always pretty open about the fact that he wanted to be the PPV king and be the biggest draw. Around the time he beat Poirier he started bring up the PPV numbers and his plan to start influencing them. Last night  he accomplished that and raised the stakes for everyone else on that card. Everyone on that card benefited from his presence. Those who were getting PPV points did better. Those who are trying to build their own presence got a nice boost. One of the reasons the UFC high ups give him so many opportunities (putting him up in Vegas, access to the UFC gym, getting to dictate his own on camera presence) is because he delivers. He's proven to be a good investment so far.  Dana stated that when the Aldo fight happens he expects that event to be an even bigger draw.

There are a few parallels between Arnold and Connor (since this is a BB board). Both are cocky and arrogant self assured in their pursuit of their goals. Both frequently bring up the importance of visualizing success before it happens. Connor showed up in a suit to the event as if he was attending a press conference. When Buffer announced him he stepped into the center as though HE was the champ. All the gimmicks he pulled off during the publicity tour, his trash talking in the ring, etc. In his mind he was the champ and had already won. We've all seen Arnold's narrations in pumping iron. Striking similarities. Connor is however observed as being very respectful when the camera's are not on. When the lights go on and the curtain draws back its showtime. Those of us who grew up in the traditional martial arts era value the"'quiet champion who lets his fists do the talking" stereotype. His on stage antics don't sit right with me most times but I understand what and why he's doing it.

He's also got the work ethic. While training for the biggest fight / test of his career he's also devoted a significant amount of time to build up the hype a la Sonnen. While Aldo played the quiet / respectful champ role. Connor kept raising the stakes to make the event into a bigger spectacle (read bigger PPV figures) He played a perfect "heel" role except he's getting over " especially with the Irish viewers. There were several comments thrown around yesterday about an American(Mendes)getting more boo's than a foreigner. He mentioned at the post fight press conference how he only spent 19 days at home (if that's really true)and the rest of the year was spent traveling and doing promotions. He jokingly mentioned how sick he was of the constant media pressures but he always showed up because he understood that that was what he had to do to reach his goals. Arnold frequently remarked how his competitors always had a serious expression in the gym while he always had a smile on his face. That's another guy who loved what he did and understood that pain is temporary in the pursuit of goals.

Am I a Connor fan? I'm a fan of his work ethic as I'am of Arnold's work ethic. His trash talk /publicity stunts don't appeal to me but I get it. Success comes at a price and both are fully prepared to pay that price. I'm inspired by that. When its all said and done what he's accomplished so far in such a short time is amazing.

When McGregor - Aldo happens I'll have the same viewpoint. I want the best man to win in the end and I don't plan on jeering either one of them - win or lose.

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2015, 02:57:27 PM »
So I'm confused??? Do MMA fighters not train year round? Do they just sit around doing nothing waiting for a call?  ???

I don't follow the sport, but I think it is stupid when people are saying that he "only had 2 weeks to train for fight". He is a PROFESSIONAL fighter. It is his profession. He should be ready to go at any notice.

If I am way off the mark here, just call me a dumbass and carry on.

Chad Mendes does train year-round. He's with Team Alpha Male ::) and trains with Uriah Faber.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2015, 03:02:13 PM »
taking a page outta onemorerep's whole page post  :o

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2015, 03:11:29 PM »
So I'm confused??? Do MMA fighters not train year round? Do they just sit around doing nothing waiting for a call?  ???

I don't follow the sport, but I think it is stupid when people are saying that he "only had 2 weeks to train for fight". He is a PROFESSIONAL fighter. It is his profession. He should be ready to go at any notice.

You're right. He is a professional fighter and should be ready to go whenever an opportunity comes up. If we've learned anything in the past two years is that big fights get postponed more frequently as of late due to injuries. That is a perfect opening and an opportunity to take advantage to move up the rankings and get paid.

Chael got a lot of hate when he stepped in to take on Jones. Never mind the fact that he had a very slim chance of winning (on paper) he stepped in and took the opportunity when people who were ranked above him turned down the fight when Dan got injured. Sonnen fought at a heavier weight with barely a training camp (not that it would have helped much anyway) because he understood the importance of taking opportunities when they arise. I'm sure he made a significant payday as a result. Rick Roufus mentioned how Pettis got a call while they were at a barbeque asking him to step in for an injured fighter. Pettis (who is injury prone) immediately said yes, put down the pizza and went for a run to prepare for the weight cut.

Chad saw an opportunity as well He stepped up and took the fight because win or lose he understood the huge opportunity he got. I think everyone on the roster should be ready to go if/when they get a call. If they choose to sit out and wait for another opportunity/ perfect fight it may never materialize.

Fortune favors the bold.

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2015, 03:15:30 PM »
taking a page

Pun intended?   ;D

I'm just chilling at home. lounging outside enjoying the sun...and destroying my keyboard.
Hell..it doesn't take me very long to ramble and write a dissertation analysis.
Got some friends coming over later to watch last nights UFC PPV so I get to bore more people with my "analysis".  :D :D

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »
Pun intended?   ;D

I'm just chilling at home. lounging outside enjoying the sun...and destroying my keyboard.
Hell..it doesn't take me very long to ramble and write a dissertation analysis.
Got some friends coming over later to watch last nights UFC PPV so I get to bore more people with my "analysis".  :D :D

I was very surprised by Conor's chin.

Taking good shots from Mendes and just walking back and talking shit at the same time.  :)

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2015, 03:34:56 PM »
I was very surprised by Conor's chin.

Taking good shots from Mendes and just walking back and talking shit at the same time.  :)

Yeah mendes was throwing with nasty intentions and he connected a few times. Connor did have a reach advantage which he used to keep chad away while they were standing but on the ground Mendes threw some nasty elblows/punches.

Connor seemed to have some beserker blood like Robbie lawler does. Takes heavy shots and keeps on smiling.
Indomitable will

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2015, 03:46:43 PM »
I'm not crazy about the guy's personality.  It's like he is trying to be an Irish Muhammad Ali, but he isn't Ali.  The whole brash loudmouth thing seems kind of forced IMHO.  Great fighter, obviously.
~

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2015, 03:52:36 PM »
Yeah mendes was throwing with nasty intentions and he connected a few times. Connor did have a reach advantage which he used to keep chad away while they were standing but on the ground Mendes threw some nasty elblows/punches.

Connor seemed to have some beserker blood like Robbie lawler does. Takes heavy shots and keeps on smiling.
Indomitable will

That reach advantage + big left hand really sets him apart from the rest of the division.

That 8 inch disadvantage was just completely unfair, although Mendes did get a few licks in there.

I don't know how much longer Conor will be able to make 145 pounds but I would love to see another 2 or 3 years of entertaining fights at Featherweight.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2015, 03:57:33 PM »
I'm not crazy about the guy's personality.  It's like he is trying to be an Irish Muhammad Ali, but he isn't Ali.  The whole brash loudmouth thing seems kind of forced IMHO.  Great fighter, obviously.

The trash talk does seem orchestrated

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2015, 04:01:07 PM »
its gonna play out like a movie.

rory gets beaten by lawler,

gsp returns to avenge rory and beats up lawler in the final scene.

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2015, 04:07:56 PM »
That reach advantage + big left hand really sets him apart from the rest of the division.

That 8 inch disadvantage was just completely unfair, although Mendes did get a few licks in there.

I don't know how much longer Conor will be able to make 145 pounds but I would love to see another 2 or 3 years of entertaining fights at Featherweight.

Yeah. I have to wonder how the striking exchange between Aldo and connor would have ended up. Aldo is as precise if not more than connor. Connor will have a reach advantage again with Aldo but Aldo presents a more dangerous striker advantage with nasty kicks of his own.  It would have been an awesome event had it took place.

One thing that sounded weird was the bruised rib story. Dana insisted that it was a bruised rib and apparently the xrays sent indicated the rib was broken but last night Dana went back to the bruised rib story. Wonder what the real story is.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2015, 04:25:01 PM »
So I'm confused??? Do MMA fighters not train year round? Do they just sit around doing nothing waiting for a call?  ???

Dumbass

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2015, 04:25:51 PM »
Yeah. I have to wonder how the striking exchange between Aldo and connor would have ended up. Aldo is as precise if not more than connor. Connor will have a reach advantage again with Aldo but Aldo presents a more dangerous striker advantage with nasty kicks of his own.  It would have been an awesome event had it took place.

One thing that sounded weird was the bruised rib story. Dana insisted that it was a bruised rib and apparently the xrays sent indicated the rib was broken but last night Dana went back to the bruised rib story. Wonder what the real story is.

Maybe the Irishman is getting into his head and he's getting cold feet?

Remember how Ali was able to get Liston worked up before their big fight?

We were discussing a few weeks ago who was the best p4p out of Silva, Cain(right before he lost) and Aldo.

I picked Aldo and even with that being said my gut is telling me McGregor is going to be able to kayo Aldo.

I think Conor gets into his head so deep during the pre-fight leading up and then come fight time the match stays on the feet and Conor uses psychology, the reach advantage, punching power and the ability to absorb some of Aldo's shots and we'll be looking at a 4 to 5 round slugfest with McGregor putting him away via strikes in the corner.

Now, IF Aldo can hit those legs consistently ala Urijah Faber we are talking about a different discussion.  8)

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2015, 04:46:34 PM »
Maybe the Irishman is getting into his head and he's getting cold feet?

Remember how Ali was able to get Liston worked up before their big fight?

We were discussing a few weeks ago who was the best p4p out of Silva, Cain(right before he lost) and Aldo.

I picked Aldo and even with that being said my gut is telling me McGregor is going to be able to kayo Aldo.

I think Conor gets into his head so deep during the pre-fight leading up and then come fight time the match stays on the feet and Conor uses psychology, the reach advantage, punching power and the ability to absorb some of Aldo's shots and we'll be looking at a 4 to 5 round slugfest with McGregor putting him away via strikes in the corner.

Now, IF Aldo can hit those legs consistently ala Urijah Faber we are talking about about a different discussion.  8)

To take a page from connor's statements  - the more efficient man will win.
Connor's approach was the old fighters tactic - to make Aldo scared or mad.
Scaring Aldo is not going to work but making him mad is definitely doable.
Mad enough to get reckless and open himself up to counterattacks.
Both are representing their countries but the pressure is mostly on Aldo since he has more to lose given his reputation to date.

Hopefully we will see the both of them square down with minimal injuries.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2015, 04:53:16 PM »
Ultimately, he promised a 2nd round TKO and made good on that promise, so he talked the talk and delivered.

This is the 'final word', and all that needs to be said. McGregor delivers.

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2015, 04:55:06 PM »
This is the 'final word', and all that needs to be said. McGregor delivers.

As the head of deliverance I approve of this statement. :D

Europe

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2015, 05:03:36 PM »
pro & cons:

* Mendes is always training.. he just didn't go into a full fighting camp.
* The changing for an opponent can also be vary the fight, if Mcgregor would've trained for a wrestler from the beginning  maybe it would be harder to take him down?(which Mendes acknowledge it)

I still think Mcgregor would've won if both have equal fighting camp from the beginning, Mcgregor is to precise with his punches & has a much better efficiency approach than Mendes. Those bodyshots were hurting Mendes bad in the fight which made him gas much earlier than thought..

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2015, 05:12:51 PM »
To take a page from connor's statements  - the more efficient man will win.
Connor's approach was the old fighters tactic - to make Aldo scared or mad.
Scaring Aldo is not going to work but making him mad is definitely doable.
Mad enough to get reckless and open himself up to counterattacks.
Both are representing their countries but the pressure is mostly on Aldo since he has more to lose given his reputation to date.

Hopefully we will see the both of them square down with minimal injuries.

That plus McGregor is HUNGRY while Aldo has not lost a fight in around 10 years.

If Mendes is capable of busting up Aldo like this, what is a guy like McGregor capable of?

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2015, 05:36:11 PM »
fixed fight

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2015, 05:59:32 AM »
That plus McGregor is HUNGRY while Aldo has not lost a fight in around 10 years.

If Mendes is capable of busting up Aldo like this, what is a guy like McGregor capable of?

Mcgregor is better on his feet then both aldo and mendes, it's not close. He is a national boxing champion and throws his punches with no effort. Aldo, is more explosive, but conor looked gigantic against chad and seemed to walk through his shots, he had his hands down chasing him at points.

His spinning heel kicks to the guts hurt him right away, from the first kick right at the bell.

Someone with wrestling and elite jiu jitsu would be his hardest test, I don't think he will lose on his feet in an exchange with aldo, mendes punches sent him flying and dropped him. Conor took an elbow and then an overhand and asked him if it's all he had. He really should be in the 155 pound division, he cuts so much weight.

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
"

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2015, 06:39:51 AM »
Mcgregor is better on his feet then both aldo and mendes, it's not close. He is a national boxing champion and throws his punches with no effort. Aldo, is more explosive, but conor looked gigantic against chad and seemed to walk through his shots, he had his hands down chasing him at points.

His spinning heel kicks to the guts hurt him right away, from the first kick right at the bell.

Someone with wrestling and elite jiu jitsu would be his hardest test, I don't think he will lose on his feet in an exchange with aldo, mendes punches sent him flying and dropped him. Conor took an elbow and then an overhand and asked him if it's all he had. He really should be in the 155 pound division, he cuts so much weight.

He reminds me alot of Tommy The Hitman Hearns with his reach advantage, punching power and that left hand that can send anybody in the division down with one shot. So fluid and crisp with his strikes. Those kicks were brutal.

And to your second point, that was the talk going into this last match... "Mendes would potentially be a tougher matchup for McGregor" Well, we all seen the result of that little experiment. Wrestling champ couldn't do anything with him on the ground beside exchange shots and was kayoed in the second round. McGregor knew they were going to be stood up eventually and then the fight becomes incredibly one sided. He was there for a 5 round fight and Mendes clearly wasn't.

Conor did Mendes a favor by putting him away so early. Once he got up from that last takedown, the fight was over. Mendes was completely gassed and it's very unlikely he would have been able to secure a takedown against a much fresher McGregor.

A fatigued Mendes unable to secure a take down against McGregor in the 3rd would have been completely embarrassed in front of the whole world.
Conor did him the biggest favor in the world by putting him out of his misery.

I think some people are putting way too much stock in Mendes' winning that first round. As I stated earlier it was a 5 round fight and McGregor knew going in he would wear him down with body shots and eventually Chad would crumple like a house of cards.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2015, 06:56:48 AM »
Lots of people like to talk about Aldo's black belt in BJJ. On paper, you would think that it could pose a problem for Conor.

What many people don't notice, is that Aldo does not have a submission victory in all of his fights with the WEC/UFC.

As people have pointed out earlier, Mendes beat Aldo to a pulp in the rematch, and McGregor is far more technical striker than Mendes.

Look for Aldo to work on McGregor's obvious weakness on the ground. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few submission attempts.

Depending on the outcome of that fight, we might begin to see a Jon Jones type advantage with Conor in the featherweight division.

Reach advantage is an awesome weapon for someone who uses it wisely.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2015, 07:08:45 AM »
Lots of people like to talk about Aldo's black belt in BJJ. On paper, you would think that it could pose a problem for Conor.

What many people don't notice, is that Aldo does not have a submission victory in all of his fights with the WEC/UFC.

As people have pointed out earlier, Mendes beat Aldo to a pulp in the rematch, and McGregor is far more technical striker than Mendes.

Look for Aldo to work on McGregor's obvious weakness on the ground. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few submission attempts.

Depending on the outcome of that fight, we might begin to see a Jon Jones type advantage with Conor in the featherweight division.

Reach advantage is an awesome weapon for someone who uses it wisely.

Conor needs to back off the taunting and focus on striking/defense during the bout. Mendes exploited that quite a bit. Maybe cool it with those front check-kicks, too.

Reminds me of how Hughes would get pummeled every time he got too relaxed and nonchalant on his feet. Dudes figure out you're momentarily slipping and take advantage.