Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 416523 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1400 on: March 01, 2016, 11:29:38 PM »
Prime,I had dogs my whole life and after the last one I didn't want anything to do with dogs anymore. My last dog went diabetic and nearly died from it. The result was blindness. We kept the dog for nearly 2 years completely blind. As it went down hill the once stunning polish low land sheepdog looked terrible. Patches of hair fell out and the dog increasingly couldn't walk. Toward the end we picked up the dog and placed it outside in the grass to go and carried it back in.  When we bought it to vet to be put down he said we waited way too long.  The guilt I felt when the doctor gave the injection was overwhelming. I felt like I was killing my friend.  In the end I thought I would never have a dog again until my future son in law told me he was buying a puppy for my daughter. My daughter always loved pugs and even had pug calendars for years. Due to my daughters crazy schedule being a ICU nurse and his crazy cop schedule we watch the dog a lot.  The puppy has bought so much joy and fun in my life. The dog lives to make friends. He likes to sleep leaning his body against my leg as I watch tv.  

NJflex, I have no words for the illness of your friend. It's beyond tragic when the mother of young children is losing the battle to illness.  Her love will never die and I hope in time her husband and children will find some kind of peace in their life. I am a Christian and I believe heaven isn't on earth. Earthly life gives us some glimpses of heaven but it is not. I believe she will see her children again in the promised land. I think CS Lewis said, "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. What you have is a body."  

I imagine it is more difficult to lose a pet when it is the only one you have. Danny gave us almost 12 years of unconditional love. In the end, it was up to us to love him enough to let him go. My guess is we timed it right. As soon as he had a couple of days when there appeared to be no joy in his life we called the vet who came out that evening. He got a shot of a tranquilizer which insured he was completely calm and resting. The second shot was an overdose of a barbiturate which stopped his heart and let him pass. It was as if he just went to sleep. There was no struggle and no discomfort involved.

It seems good that there are three other dogs here to carry on. Lucy is more clingy than ever. Wherever I go, she goes and when she can't go with me she pouts. When I get back home, she's like a crazy dog because she is so excited. At my age, I am more concerned about my dog outliving me. Fortunately my daughter and son-in-law will be her parents if that should happen.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1401 on: March 01, 2016, 11:38:15 PM »
Tonight I worked triceps, biceps, forearms and abs at the gym. The workout was vigorous, aggressive and gratifying. The biceps are actually beginning to shine. They are like little boulders. What my arms aren't is big, just fairly defined. It's all good!

One young fellow was such a Peacock that he could hardly stop checking out himself in the mirrors long enough to do his routine. It was a comedy! I'm pretty vain, but he has be beat hands down. He had a really odd walk too....very self-conscious.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1402 on: March 02, 2016, 05:42:57 AM »
Tonight I worked triceps, biceps, forearms and abs at the gym. The workout was vigorous, aggressive and gratifying. The biceps are actually beginning to shine. They are like little boulders. What my arms aren't is big, just fairly defined. It's all good!

One young fellow was such a Peacock that he could hardly stop checking out himself in the mirrors long enough to do his routine. It was a comedy! I'm pretty vain, but he has be beat hands down. He had a really odd walk too....very self-conscious.
yes you get people like that, they walk like they have two Barrels under their arms.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #1403 on: March 02, 2016, 12:06:00 PM »
yes you get people like that, they walk like they have two Barrels under their arms.

ILS

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1404 on: March 02, 2016, 05:23:26 PM »
Delt and arms:

Military press 2 x 8 115lbs  (cleaned the weight first. Shoulder was hurting. )
Lateral raises 2 x 10 30lbs
Machine laterals 2 x 10 60-70lbs
Rear lateral raises 2 x 10 35lbs
Rear delt machine 2 x 10
Dumbbell Shrugs 2 x 10 85lbs

Ez bar curl 2 x 10 95lbs
Straight bar pulley curls 3 x 12
concentration curls 1 x 8 (tried Arnold style. Wasn't feeling it)
rope curls 2 x 12

Weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs (went deep and not shallow)
traditional tricep pushdowns 3 x 10
rope tricep 2 x 10
tricep machine 2 x 10

wrist curls 2 x 25 95lbs (at home I actually have a forearm bench. Doing these across my knees just doesn't feel as good as my bench)
reverse grip curls 2 x 12 (used light weight due to elbow pain)

ab coaster 2 x 26 40lbs
seated ab crunch machine 2 x 15

Gym Observations: Pet peeve edition.

Saw this 60 something year old guy who was completely out of shape with zero muscles. He puts the pin at the bottom of the plate rack of a delt lateral machine.  He jams the rack up and down with his entire body.  I swear people are so delusional when it comes to bodybuilding.

Tired of seeing the sit in the machine guy. He basically only uses machines that he can sit in. He will sit in each machine for about 10 minutes doing a set once in awhile.  On what planet will this get you in shape?

Saw this huge solid power lifter type guy again.  He's the one who sometimes trains like a fitness trainer which is shocking considering how big and strong looking he is. He doesn't look like a bodybuilder but looks like a NFL Tackle.  This time I actually saw him doing powerlifting. He was doing a lot of reps with a lot of plates in the deadlift. I bet if I see him tomorrow he might be on the treadmill or doing burpees.

Saw a fairly good bodybuilder using the seated calf machine. He had so many plates on it that he had to yank on the handles every rep to complete a rep.  Take all those plates off and let your calves do the work. I should talk. I have zero calf development. At least they are functional.

Seeing more and more people on cardio machines with tablet computers.  If you can do the internet while doing cardio you are not exerting yourself.

For some reason this gym that has been around for 12 years is really exploding in popularity lately. I don't know what's going on?  In January at 9AM the time I train the place was always fairly empty.  Now it's like a party going on. It's still not crowded but I like when it's just about empty.  

Really missing my home gym lately.  So many tweaks I have made to make it completely functional.  Everything feels perfect unlike some of the machines, bars and benches in this gym.  Another month maybe I will return home.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1405 on: March 02, 2016, 06:48:20 PM »

This guy was a string bean. He has a good frame though...very broad shoulders. When he matures physically, he could have an excellent build. His workouts would be much more productive if he didn't spend most of his time at the gym, checking himself out in the mirrors instead of lifting.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1406 on: March 02, 2016, 07:34:42 PM »
I'm leaving for the gym is a couple of minutes. Tonight, I will work my back so I'll report "back" after I'm done.

On another note, my son-in-law and daughter bought a car this afternoon. My daughter wanted something compact to drive. In memory of the 1973 Super Beetle we gave he on her 16th birthday, she selected a 2013 VW Bug with a moon roof, leather interior and turbo engine. It's cute that she's so nostalgic. Next up, my son-in-law needs to find something that suits his macho image. He's thinking about a truck or a jeep.

I don't know if they are actually getting two cars from the payoff of the one which was totaled, but I am pleased that they are being conservative about it. Yikes! They are actually acting more maturely. It makes no sense to go into debt for a drive.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1407 on: March 02, 2016, 11:32:55 PM »
Prime that is bad news about your tooth. It seems dentist are all about root canals and crowns.  I have never heard of a guy getting fillings anymore. Of course the dentist would rather have a $1500 dollar pay day for 20 minutes of work than $300 bucks for a filling.

Update! Had the dentist appointment today. He looked at the broken or chipped tooth and said, "that's nothing, I'll fix it in no time." Forty minutes later I was out of there with a smooth tooth and a numb jaw.

On thing you all may have to look forward to is that as folks age their teeth become more brittle and therefore easier to chip or break. Every day, I learn another reason why it sucks to get old!  :'(

Worked back tonight. It is out of sequence for me to work back following arms, but it was a great workout. Stuck to the routine including the number of reps and increased the resistance....in some cases by quite a bit. -Feeling really good right now. -In and out in 45 minutes.

As far as gym observations, all the usual suspects were working out with me tonight, meaning there is nothing of note to report, except to say there are some hot women who workout between 8:00 and 9:00 p.m. if I were a lot younger and looking for a date, this could be the place to find one.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1408 on: March 03, 2016, 12:36:52 AM »
I feel like King kong today. I actually managed some Bodyweight Dips yesterday evening. No big deal but after my injury very good. I did a full body workout 3 sets per ex.

Parallel bar dips
one arm DB rows
upright rows
ez reverse curls
Barbell Hacks
Calf raises (Bodyweight max reps)
Hanging knee raises (arms supported bench)

Man.. i feel my chest and tris today. Today is a cardio Day... run through the woods.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1409 on: March 03, 2016, 05:49:27 AM »
I feel like King kong today. I actually managed some Bodyweight Dips yesterday evening. No big deal but after my injury very good. I did a full body workout 3 sets per ex.

Parallel bar dips
one arm DB rows
upright rows
ez reverse curls
Barbell Hacks

Man.. i feel my chest and tris today. Today is a cardio Day... run through the woods.
8)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1410 on: March 03, 2016, 06:56:48 AM »
back/traps/abs/treadmill/calves

chins wide x3x12 and 1 inner x12
tbar rows standing version ,,,2 plates,2.5 plates,3 plates,3.5 plates
low pulley rows x3 165/180/195 used wider version of the usual triangle bar
hammer underhanded pulldowns x3 2 plates a side x10
upper rope pulls to face/head  x3

traps
185 no straps x12.225 x12 no straps,275/295/315 straps 10/10/8

lower back hypers weighted x15 reps

abs

treadmill

calves 5 sets standing raises 200/220/230/240/240

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1411 on: March 03, 2016, 08:20:26 AM »
Cardio day:

Doing my thing on the treadmill. All the treadmills are open but a girl has to pick the one by me.  Spread out.

Losing weight rapidly.  I think the running intervals on the treadmill is frying my system.  I just feel I'm losing some muscle too.  I feel washed out and shot since I began adding intervals to my weight program.  Maybe next cardio day I will go for a casual 2 to 3 mile run to get away from the intensity of HIT cardio intervals. 

Hit the heavy bag after the cardio session. Surprisingly my elbow joint didn't protest like it did last time. Just weird.  I know hitting the bag is hard on the joints at my age but it feels good to do a power exercise that has a conditioning component. 

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1412 on: March 03, 2016, 08:26:41 AM »
Cardio day:

Doing my thing on the treadmill. All the treadmills are open but a girl has to pick the one by me.  Spread out.

Losing weight rapidly.  I think the running intervals on the treadmill is frying my system.  I just feel I'm losing some muscle too.  I feel washed out and shot since I began adding intervals to my weight program.  Maybe next cardio day I will go for a casual 2 to 3 mile run to get away from the intensity of HIT cardio intervals. 

Hit the heavy bag after the cardio session. Surprisingly my elbow joint didn't protest like it did last time. Just weird.  I know hitting the bag is hard on the joints at my age but it feels good to do a power exercise that has a conditioning component. 
whats your weight?do you look leaner due to it?muscle to fat ratio is it showing build 'look 'wise and whats your food intake like?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1413 on: March 03, 2016, 10:56:05 AM »

Parallel bar dips
one arm DB rows
upright rows
ez reverse curls
Barbell Hacks

If we exercise our calves most of everyday by walking, climbing and depending stairs and by running, how much more benefit is there in doing them as a bodyweight exercise?

What is most important is that your feeling good....just don't overdo it.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1414 on: March 03, 2016, 11:11:21 AM »
If we exercise our calves most of everyday by walking, climbing and depending stairs and by running, how much more benefit is there in doing them as a bodyweight exercise?

because calves need an overload 'load'to get growth..so say you weigh 180 lbs on a calf raise unless your doing 20/25 reps for a burn your not going to get an increase in size.genetics 100 pct on calves helps but I was able to improve them by going heavy 8-10 with bigger weights forced reps too..i did the hi rep thing as well.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1415 on: March 03, 2016, 12:37:59 PM »
because calves need an overload 'load'to get growth..so say you weigh 180 lbs on a calf raise unless your doing 20/25 reps for a burn your not going to get an increase in size.genetics 100 pct on calves helps but I was able to improve them by going heavy 8-10 with bigger weights forced reps too..i did the hi rep thing as well.

Thanks for the explanation. My weighted rep  range is about 15 using 260 lbs. on the standing calf raise. I'm weakest on seated calf raises. -Can't seem to top about 150 lbs. for 10-15 reps

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1416 on: March 03, 2016, 06:33:44 PM »
whats your weight?do you look leaner due to it?muscle to fat ratio is it showing build 'look 'wise and whats your food intake like?

5'8" 181lbs. Starting to get leaner but feel I'm losing muscle. Hard running will make you look like a runner. I have always fluctuated between being muscular and looking like a runner. When I try to be a good lifter and a good runner I'm not good at either. Note I'm not a bodybuilder. I'm just into fitness and trying to look good. Going to take it down to about 175lbs  and hopefully I won't be too much of a mess.

The thing that always bugs me if can include a vain statement is that when I lean out it comes off my face first. I don't look good facially when I'm lean.

I always eat a good breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack.  Dinner is either good or bad. Late night snacks and weekend beer is the problem.  I always try to out work a bad diet.  I know it's the wrong approach.  

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1417 on: March 04, 2016, 08:07:25 AM »

no i am just getting back into it.  when i use Bodyweight i do as many as possible and go for some Burns. I will say one thing about calfs, the biggest i have seen was an old man here a few years back cycling slowly on his Bicycle... thousands of Hours and reps on the Bike. If i train them at Home i go barefoot but not in the Gym itīs frowned upon. Free weight Squats have built muscle too on thighs. I believe Rich mentioned Wilf Sylvester?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1418 on: March 04, 2016, 09:13:43 AM »
5'8" 181lbs. Starting to get leaner but feel I'm losing muscle. Hard running will make you look like a runner. I have always fluctuated between being muscular and looking like a runner. When I try to be a good lifter and a good runner I'm not good at either. Note I'm not a bodybuilder. I'm just into fitness and trying to look good. Going to take it down to about 175lbs  and hopefully I won't be too much of a mess.

The thing that always bugs me if can include a vain statement is that when I lean out it comes off my face first. I don't look good facially when I'm lean.

I always eat a good breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack.  Dinner is either good or bad. Late night snacks and weekend beer is the problem.  I always try to out work a bad diet.  I know it's the wrong approach.  
IS THIS FOR SUMMER LOOK?OR IN GENERAL YOU FELL GOOD AT THAT WEIGHT.WHEN I WAS SICK IN AUG/SEPT MY WEIGHT DROPPED AT 175 I WAS IN GREAT SHAPE BUT MY FACE WAS TOO DRAWN I THINK,WHEN I WAS TAN IT LOOKED GOOD THO.OCT THROUGH NOW I BROUGHT MY WEIGHT CLOSE TO 190 AND STILL HAVE ABS AND VEINS SHOULDERS/CHEST .I DO MISS THE LOWWER ABDOMEN FLATTER LOOK BY SUMMER I WILL DROP SOME WATER/FAT GO TO 180 AND THATS THE LOWEST NOW FOR ME ,STILL AT 5'7 AND LEAN I STILL HOLD GOOD SIZE.IF IT WORKS AND YOU LOOK GOOD 'RICH'STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1419 on: March 04, 2016, 12:23:32 PM »
IS THIS FOR SUMMER LOOK?OR IN GENERAL YOU FELL GOOD AT THAT WEIGHT.WHEN I WAS SICK IN AUG/SEPT MY WEIGHT DROPPED AT 175 I WAS IN GREAT SHAPE BUT MY FACE WAS TOO DRAWN I THINK,WHEN I WAS TAN IT LOOKED GOOD THO.OCT THROUGH NOW I BROUGHT MY WEIGHT CLOSE TO 190 AND STILL HAVE ABS AND VEINS SHOULDERS/CHEST .I DO MISS THE LOWWER ABDOMEN FLATTER LOOK BY SUMMER I WILL DROP SOME WATER/FAT GO TO 180 AND THATS THE LOWEST NOW FOR ME ,STILL AT 5'7 AND LEAN I STILL HOLD GOOD SIZE.IF IT WORKS AND YOU LOOK GOOD 'RICH'STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP.

In my experience one's face reflects significant weight loss before you see it elsewhere on your body, such as your abs. Once your new weight is maintained for awhile, your facial appearance evens out, depending on how flexible your skin is. Of course people show weight loss in different ways, depending on their genetics.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1420 on: March 04, 2016, 12:29:30 PM »
nature stores fat on the stomach and hip area. Infact in the old days the "Fatter" people stood more chance of living over winter.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1421 on: March 04, 2016, 12:31:33 PM »
nature stores fat on the stomach and hip area. Infact in the old days the "Fatter" people stood more chance of living over winter.

In my case, I would not survive very long without food and shelter.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1422 on: March 04, 2016, 12:32:59 PM »
In my case, I would not survive very long without food and shelter.
......But you have cunning my Friend  ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1423 on: March 04, 2016, 12:38:09 PM »
......But you have cunning my Friend  ;D

And that's a good thing to have. It will take you places that fat hips and fat stomach won't.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1424 on: March 04, 2016, 12:46:30 PM »
And that's a good thing to have. It will take you places that fat hips and fat stomach won't.
I think one survival expert said that itīs not just about what you know ..but that you want to survive that makes the difference.