Author Topic: My interview with Sergio Oliva Jr. He is on his way to the top.  (Read 16754 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: My interview with Sergio Oliva Jr. He is on his way to the top.
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2015, 06:08:16 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

One of the best interviews I've heard in bodybuilding. I didn't know that Sergio Sr. did not support his son. It's kind of heart breaking to hear Jr. speak that about his father. Admittedly, my son wants to bodybuild as well and I keep talking him out of it.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2015, 06:15:45 PM »
I don't think it's a foregone conclusion at all that Sergio Oliva would have been absolutely superior to
everyone in later decades, with more "science".

I know it's blasphemy to say something like this, but I think he would have been like a Paul Dillet if he competed in the 90s for example. Sergio seemed to have a bloofy look which is somewhat genetic and the back wasn't that great. I don't think he could have beat Coleman at his best, not Dorian, not Kai, probably not even Haney. This is just my opinion/hunch and impossible to know or prove.

He competed later on and yes he was old in 84 or whatever but his physique still looked fresh and despite being in good condition, better than his early years, he couldn't come in the top.

The fibers, attachments in his back aren't there to the level of a Coleman or Yates

Azure

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2015, 06:21:22 PM »
One of the best interviews I've heard in bodybuilding. I didn't know that Sergio Sr. did not support his son. It's kind of heart breaking to hear Jr. speak that about his father. Admittedly, my son wants to bodybuild as well and I keep talking him out of it.

Anybody who truly loves their child would not want them to get caught up in the sordid world of pro bodybuilding

Bodybuilding as a hobby or lifestyle naturally? Yes but I would NOT want my sons involved in it. Risks far outweigh the rewards

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2015, 06:24:35 PM »
Anybody who truly loves their child would not want them to get caught up in the sordid world of pro bodybuilding

Bodybuilding as a hobby or lifestyle naturally? Yes but I would NOT want my sons involved in it. Risks far outweigh the rewards

Agree.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2015, 06:28:39 PM »

Thanks Coach, glad you enjoyed it. I wonder if the old man used reverse psychology and made him really want it without being pushed. Probably not but I do wonder.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2015, 06:34:23 PM »
Thanks Coach, glad you enjoyed it. I wonder if the old man used reverse psychology and made him really want it without being pushed. Probably not but I do wonder.

I don't know but I could sense that Jr. was hurt that his dad wouldn't at least train with him. It's like playing catch your son. You do it because it's a bonding moment.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2015, 06:42:56 PM »
I don't know but I could sense that Jr. was hurt that his dad wouldn't at least train with him. It's like playing catch your son. You do it because it's a bonding moment.

Definitely, I could see his disappointment with that and the fact that he never went to watch him compete and when he finally did, they made such a big deal out of it that he was embarrassed for the other guys and their dads.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2015, 06:54:27 PM »
Definitely, I could see his disappointment with that and the fact that he never went to watch him compete and when he finally did, they made such a big deal out of it that he was embarrassed for the other guys and their dads.

Yes, that was sad.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2015, 07:12:30 PM »
^^
Actually that IS a possibility... when I was in the military we had 2 brothers that were in my battalion, the drill Sergeant KNEW that they were only motivated ONLY when they were intentionally ignored or even told NOT to touch anything!!  They both learned the 81mm mortar and 7.62 GPMG inside out while "being left out"!!!
They took everything apart & reassembled the whole works after hours!

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2015, 07:27:17 PM »
He looks like a Halfbrew.  Was his mother white?

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2015, 07:32:34 PM »
Was this the kid that Rick Wayne handed up to Sergio at the 84 Olympia?  I recall reading a Rick Wayne article saying that he did this to prevent Sergio from storming off stage or something?  Is this that kid all grown up?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2015, 07:36:54 PM »
Was this the kid that Rick Wayne handed up to Sergio at the 84 Olympia?  I recall reading a Rick Wayne article saying that he did this to prevent Sergio from storming off stage or something?  Is this that kid all grown up?

Could very well be. Sergio Jr. said he was 30.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2015, 07:44:11 PM »

Yes that is him!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2015, 07:49:06 PM »
I wonder if he realizes he has some of the best genetics that bodybuilding has seen yet?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2015, 07:57:18 PM »
according to leroy sergio was a real dickhead

and nubret was a cool and decent dude, which i fully believe

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2015, 08:02:24 PM »
Yes that is him!

Thanks. Wow, that's crazy!  He has been on the Olympia stage before with among others Lee Haney (winner) Samie Bannout (6th), Bob Paris and Tom Platz.  Also Sergio of course. 

Good trivia question.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2015, 08:28:20 PM »
I wonder if he realizes he has some of the best genetics that bodybuilding has seen yet?

Yes he definitely does and as a later starter, the best is yet to come.

The best genetics + hard work = it's not fair on the other kids....

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2015, 02:20:18 AM »
Was this the kid that Rick Wayne handed up to Sergio at the 84 Olympia?  I recall reading a Rick Wayne article saying that he did this to prevent Sergio from storming off stage or something?  Is this that kid all grown up?
good memory. I was there n forgot all about that. My one buddy just reminded me of something a couple years ago about that night. I was about to end it with this GF that at the time we just weren't getting along. My friend didn't like her much cuz of all her complaining. Anyway the three of us drove up to NYC from Pittsburgh n we took her car. A red ford Granada if I remember right. So she's complaining about whatever there was to complain about the whole way up. So we get to NYC and we park the car on the street. I think we may have stopped in Chinatown for something to eat. We get back to her car n all her hubcaps r gone. I look at my buddy n he's doing his best to not burst out in laughter.

I forgot all about that till I saw him a couple years ago and he was laffing his ass off reminding me about it.

We were like 20 at the time. Ahh the good ol days.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2015, 02:21:12 AM »
Seems ok, I guess, except for "it's not about drugs," which is laughably dishonest.

Genetically, though, think the apple might've fallen a little too far from the tree. Far enough that it rolled over to an orange tree, where it bumped into this guy.
least it wasn't a grapefruit tree

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2015, 02:28:25 AM »
also that night...these two couples sitting beside us. Their gfs were drooling over bob Paris routine. Then one boyfriend said he's gay anyway. That's before the story became mainstream. I was like huh?

Oh and I thought the worst posing routine was Boyer Coe punching the air to rocky theme until bob birdsong came out and tried to dance to ghost busters. It was hilariously awful.

How can the mind store  all this useless info?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2015, 04:26:14 AM »
A great interview Tony, SO jr is a well-spoken guy.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2015, 04:32:53 AM »

This

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2015, 04:56:47 AM »
I believe that that Sergio Sr was about 30 years ahead of his time. Never did cardio, worked 3 jobs and had very limited knowledge of science and nutrition.

oh didnt know that....sick genetics for sure

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2015, 05:32:18 AM »
I don't think it's a foregone conclusion at all that Sergio Oliva would have been absolutely superior to
everyone in later decades, with more "science".

I know it's blasphemy to say something like this, but I think he would have been like a Paul Dillet if he competed in the 90s for example. Sergio seemed to have a bloofy look which is somewhat genetic and the back wasn't that great. I don't think he could have beat Coleman at his best, not Dorian, not Kai, probably not even Haney. This is just my opinion/hunch and impossible to know or prove.

He competed later on and yes he was old in 84 or whatever but his physique still looked fresh and despite being in good condition, better than his early years, he couldn't come in the top.

The fibers, attachments in his back aren't there to the level of a Coleman or Yates

lol you seem to have put a lot of thought into this, maybe they needed to do more t-bar rows  :D, but it's not a muscle fibre thing, looks more like an issue with shoulder structure making it hard to hit that area.  hopefully junior can figure it out soon  ;)
"

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2015, 05:51:44 AM »
I think there was one time, a few yrs back. Photoshoot or something and Sr got so mad that he stormed off. I do think that he didn't want his son mixed up in this. Especially when he could see the facial resemblance. And that's why he said "school, books". Bodybulding is peanuts still. But, structurally, I think Junior is built better than Phil Heath.