Author Topic: Older folks and deloading  (Read 599 times)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Older folks and deloading
« on: October 25, 2015, 08:59:18 AM »
I'm 50 and I recently realized that I had been training 6-7 days/week with either heavy weight or high volume for over a year. Even being slightly enhanced, this can be a problem. Add this to a 12 hour workday, and it's quite a toll.

A few days ago, I noticed that my strength was about 10% off, so I am starting on AT LEAST a two-week deload. Mostly BW exercises and vastly deceased volume. It's hard as fuck when you're programmed to hit the weights harder, but I think I can do it,

This is for my aged brothers in iron: don't let the tunnel vision take you. Take some time off!

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
Re: Older folks and deloading
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 09:00:31 AM »
I'm 50 and I recently realized that I had been training 6-7 days/week with either heavy weight or high volume for over a year. Even being slightly enhanced, this can be a problem. Add this to a 12 hour workday, and it's quite a toll.

A few days ago, I noticed that my strength was about 10% off, so I am starting on AT LEAST a two-week deload. Mostly BW exercises and vastly deceased volume. It's hard as fuck when you're programmed to hit the weights harder, but I think I can do it,

This is for my aged brothers in iron: don't let the tunnel vision take you. Take some time off!

I feel the same way.  De-loading works very well if you are feeling burned out. 

Now I only train 2x a week (high volume) and am just as strong as I was training 4-5x a week.  Muscle size is down a bit, but I am still pretty strong and have a lot less joint problems with all the extra rest.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Re: Older folks and deloading
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 09:15:24 AM »
Yup.  I only trained 3 times last week and one of them was with exceptionally munchkin sized weight.  I am nearing 60 now and want to keep what I have as long as I can.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

It was always my intent to lift for life but not to make a life of lifting.  Training adds to living but I will not spend my life in a gym anymore.  ;D