Author Topic: watch review  (Read 16977 times)

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Re: watch review
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2015, 06:37:14 AM »
A Sub is the only watch I own.

Almost traded it for a Panerai GMT (to replace the Daylight sold a few years ago) but it's a classic. Also, it's appreciated more than the daylight would have.

Daylights seem to hold their value very well.

It's hard to beat Rolexes; in terms of watches that appreciate in value.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2015, 06:38:33 AM »
I only ever wore an Army issue watch and you can buy them here. Good Kit.
http://www.silvermans.co.uk/collections/watches/cwc

I see you're still pretending that you were in the army...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2015, 06:46:15 AM »
I see you're still pretending that you were in the army...
do you like men in uniform ?

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2015, 07:59:54 AM »
One of the plant workers at my company told me he is going to buy a 20K Rolex watch.  He earns $12 an hour.  He doesn't have a car and takes public transportation to work every day.

::)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2015, 08:05:27 AM »
One of the plant workers at my company told me he is going to buy a 20K Rolex watch.  He earns $12 an hour.  He doesn't have a car and takes public transportation to work every day.

::)
you know what the only thing i wear is a signet ring on my small finger left hand with my initials which my wife bought me. Is it worth a lot of money in Gold not much although itīs 18kt. The price you pay is a lot more than the middle man pays.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2015, 10:15:54 AM »
you know what the only thing i wear is a signet ring on my small finger left hand with my initials which my wife bought me. Is it worth a lot of money in Gold not much although itīs 18kt. The price you pay is a lot more than the middle man pays.
only if you buy retail.retail is for the rich,grey market watches for me allday that way you never lose a dime.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2015, 10:17:17 AM »
Dude, that's from Pulp fiction.

What he is saying is from true romance.watched movie yesterday to confirm.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2015, 01:34:52 PM »
A Sub is the only watch I own.

Almost traded it for a Panerai GMT (to replace the Daylight sold a few years ago) but it's a classic. Also, it's appreciated more than the daylight would have.

Daylights seem to hold their value very well.

It's hard to beat Rolexes; in terms of watches that appreciate in value.

Panerais are overpriced watches.  Average watch with a high price to make it "exclusive".

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2015, 01:49:20 PM »
Panerais are overpriced watches.  Average watch with a high price to make it "exclusive".

The consumer decides what a product is worth.

I'm definitely getting another one next year but have to decide between a GMT or used Daylight. The Daylight face changed in 2005 or 2006 and I don't like the new one.

The Sub is less chunky and better for daily wear.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2015, 02:02:39 PM »
Four of the five watches I own are older than the majority of you kids.  I am wearing my Seiko Automatic "diver's watch" right now.

Status  symbol?  Nope.  It's a watch.  I look to it for the time, not to improve my "status" in a pathetic celebrity based society.  But I don't begrudge any MAN a fine watch.  And all of mine work just fine, thank you.

pure logic would require me to ask you why, if it is only to tell time, you own more than one watch??

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2015, 02:38:58 PM »
pure logic would require me to ask you why, if it is only to tell time, you own more than one watch??
Are you willing to sell any of yours? I recall you mentioning a few impulse buys that you sort of regret. PM me if you're interested in selling any. 

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2015, 02:56:44 PM »
Are you willing to sell any of yours? I recall you mentioning a few impulse buys that you sort of regret. PM me if you're interested in selling any. 

I just sold the one on the left yesterday.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2015, 03:37:18 PM »
I just sold the one on the left yesterday.
I like th gold in the middle. Have the one on right already.  Let me know if you'll part with the good.  You can even keep the band. I don't care about the good bands.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
I like th gold in the middle. Have the one on right already.  Let me know if you'll part with the good.  You can even keep the band. I don't care about the good bands.

I paid quite a bit for that one,  wouldn't get more than half back original price

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2015, 03:47:10 PM »
I looked real hard at the Rolex GMT. Probably watched too much Magnum, LOL!

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2015, 05:32:23 PM »
I looked real hard at the Rolex GMT. Probably watched too much Magnum, LOL!
^^
IF you get one, this is the BEST color combo...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2015, 05:40:26 PM »
My wife had a Mickey Mouse watch from Disneyland. I've been thinking about replacing the battery and wearing it.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2015, 05:43:29 PM »
My wife had a Mickey Mouse watch from Disneyland. I've been thinking about replacing the battery and wearing it.

probably keeps better time than the rolex'

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2015, 05:59:07 PM »
probably keeps better time than the rolex'

Probably, although I don't own a Rolex so I can't prove it.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: December 05, 2015, 06:09:52 PM »
Probably, although I don't own a Rolex so I can't prove it.

I do, and they don't keep great time.  also, if they sit for 3 days they stop so you have to reset them. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2015, 06:20:52 PM »
I do, and they don't keep great time.  also, if they sit for 3 days they stop so you have to reset them.  

That kind of defeats the purpose of wearing a watch, doesn't it? Why is it folks spend a lot of money for something that doesn't work any better than it would if it costs less. I recently read where Cadillacs have a lot of transmission issues....seems like the same thing. If it's for the ladies, then I would say if a woman is attracted to you because of your watch, car or expensive clothes than she isn't worth wasting your time on.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2015, 06:25:14 PM »
That kind of defeats the purpose of wearing a watch, doesn't it? Why is it folks spend a lot of money for something that doesn't work any better than it would if it costs less. I recently read where Cadillacs have a lot of transmission issues....seems like the same thing. If it's for the ladies, then I would say if a woman is attracted to you because of your watch, car or expensive clothes than she isn't worth wasting your time on.

valid point.  i coulda put $45000 into a mutual fund ten years ago and had 20-30 % of its value today.   

if someone is choosing between paying a mortgage, getting their kids braces, or setting up their retirement vs. buying a watch; yes, they are idiots.

but if someone has all their bills paid, plenty of savings, and buys nice stuff, then more power to them.

and i don't know if you noticed my one post above,  i sold one watch for more than i bought it for 8 years earlier.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2015, 06:31:36 PM »
valid point.  i coulda put $45000 into a mutual fund ten years ago and had 20-30 % of its value today.   

if someone is choosing between paying a mortgage, getting their kids braces, or setting up their retirement vs. buying a watch; yes, they are idiots.

but if someone has all their bills paid, plenty of savings, and buys nice stuff, then more power to them.

and i don't know if you noticed my one post above,  i sold one watch for more than i bought it for 8 years earlier.

Having an investment work out well is always a good thing regardless if it is in art or mutual funds. So, you make a very good point. Like you, my finances are stable to the degree that my income is greater by far than my expenses. I can't take the money with me and I'm old, so might as well spend it on things that make me happy. That's why I've been putting a small fortune into my home lately.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2015, 06:42:30 PM »
Its to bad people cant enjoy something without people thinking thinking they are showing off.Watches are in my blood as my grandfather had watches and my father has a rolex,nothing to do with showing off.Just a hobby and we enjoy it.Like i always say some people like boats,cars,bikes,clothes etc...i like watches.

I hope I wasn't interpreted like that.

I just roll my eyes at people who wear 30k in jewellery and clothing yet cannot pay off loans. The same idiots who caused financial collapse (aided by lenders of course) bought houses, cars, jewellery etc beyond their means to show off.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2015, 06:47:41 PM »
I hope I wasn't interpreted like that.

I just roll my eyes at people who wear 30k in jewellery and clothing yet cannot pay off loans. The same idiots who caused financial collapse (aided by lenders of course) bought houses, cars, jewellery etc beyond their means to show off.

people talk of vehicles being depreciating assets.  impossible. the definition of asset is something that increases in value, or adds to your net worth.   

i bought one new vehicle in my life, and did that thru a business and managed to lose very little overall, but still hated the losing part