Author Topic: Why do people work 16 hours a day and prioritize money over happiness.  (Read 13758 times)

cephissus

• Getbig V
Re: Why do people work 16 hours a day and prioritize money over happiness.
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2016, 11:54:51 PM »
People that work a lot have no time to develop interests and hobbies not work related.

end of thread.

once novelty fades, the deeper you get, the more you achieve, the more fun you have.  if you're kicking ass at your job 16 hours a day, good luck finding the same level of fulfillment dicking around at level 0 in whatever other hobby you try your hand at.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2016, 12:01:43 AM »
And where do the homeless get their clothes? They get it from people with money. And sure you don't need a car to get from A to B but cars have changed our lives. A ten mile trip in a car is nothing. On foot it's a day's journey.

If you want to walk on the beach you need money to live in a beach community. If not, then you need money to have a car to drive to the beach. If no car, then you need money to ride the bus to get to the beach. And if you have to walk... well, nobody is going to walk several miles just to walk some more on the beach. And if you are homeless living on the beach the only walking you do is to look for water bottles and soda cans to get some money so you can buy food.

You're really trying hard to score some argument points ::) My point however is, is that you don't need to be loaded to enjoy the simple things of life, and working 16h/day is only limiting the time you have left to enjoy those things.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2016, 12:30:36 AM »
money is ugly I will tell you that, I have lived without it and with it, I certainly had more true friends without it, people share a common bond when you don't have enough of it, as soon as you have more, the envy and jealousy kicks in and say good bye to your friends, they might be okay with your new found success and wealth  but they will be married to someone who isn't lol.

So since you've come to realize that life is better without money then it would be safe to assume you don't have any money.
So how are you able to use a computer and get access to electricity?

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2016, 12:37:55 AM »
You're really trying hard to score some argument points ::) My point however is, is that you don't need to be loaded to enjoy the simple things of life, and working 16h/day is only limiting the time you have left to enjoy those things.

Not trying hard at all. Just because money isn't coming out of your pocket doesn't mean it's free.

Now if you made your point exactly as you have stated it here then you would have no argument from me. But that was not the argument that you originally made.

Also, people don't consider that some jobs have intrinsic value that they simply enjoy doing it and would continue to do even if it was free. Golfing is huge in Hawaii and I have a friend that is about to go pro. His whole life revolves around golfing. And he loves every minute of it. And some people have to work long hours simply because they don't have high paying jobs. When I was 18 yo and trying to make ends meet I worked three jobs, 72 hours a week.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2016, 02:21:58 AM »
Lol, retiring after three years of six figure income? Dude, I haven't made under $250k a year since 2010 and I'm not retiring anytime soon. You pay shit off and find other stuff to spend money on, thus keeping you working. That is, if you are a "hungry" person. I'm setting up for future generations of my family by investing in my kids. I put a minimum of $4,000 a year in each of their college accounts. You want to blow off steam? $10k a year in a travel budget at least. I used to think at 25 that people who made "x" amount a year would have no problems, but the reality is, that you just spend more and find more shit to buy.

Isn't that indicative of being unhappy? Constantly replacing toys with ever more expensive ones strongly suggests you were not satisfied with the ones you had. If so, then this cycle is not likely to end, so money truly does not buy happiness in this scenario.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2016, 02:26:04 AM »
You see these young men working on wall street in NYC and shit working 12 hours a day and commuting 2 hours each way from NJ. So essentially a 16 hour day, just so they can be rich. What is it worth? I'd rather be poor doing what the hell I want with my life rather than making a shit ton of money I don't even have time to spend and working as someone's slave.

I feel the same way, which is why I'm downsizing my working life. Too many hours, too much traveling. I'm looking to go down to a comfortable job, okay income (~3 times median), and lots of free time. No expensive hobbies except for cigars. :D I would prefer getting rid of my car, and the wife and I would like a smaller house. So many things still to do ('do', not 'buy'), and one cannot buy back time.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2016, 02:35:50 AM »
I feel the same way, which is why I'm downsizing my working life. Too many hours, too much traveling. I'm looking to go down to a comfortable job, okay income (~3 times median), and lots of free time. No expensive hobbies except for cigars. :D I would prefer getting rid of my car, and the wife and I would like a smaller house. So many things still to do ('do', not 'buy'), and one cannot buy back time.

I guess you own your home?

I prefer renting, because then I can move more easily if I have to in case I lose my job.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2016, 02:57:08 AM »
I guess you own your home?

I prefer renting, because then I can move more easily if I have to in case I lose my job.
Partly own it. Which is what bothers me a bit, so I'm either going to rent (freedom to run away instantly), or buy outright (freedom to rebuild as I see fit), haven't decided yet. But let me first decide where I want to live. :)

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2016, 03:49:20 AM »
Why people were hunting thousands of years ago?

What is "happiness"? Why many people think we are here for some kind of mystical "happiness"? I'm certainly not searching for happiness while trying to earn as much money as possible, I'm seeking for power, control, domination, being able to fuck hottest females. Sometimes I feel very happy achieving that, but I don't concentrate on that feeling.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2016, 04:03:18 AM »
Partly own it. Which is what bothers me a bit, so I'm either going to rent (freedom to run away instantly), or buy outright (freedom to rebuild as I see fit), haven't decided yet. But let me first decide where I want to live. :)

I hear there is a nice trailer for rent in Sylva, NC. There is still some chicken breast left in the freezer and you might also be able to find some old battle for the olympia VHS tape with only slightly greasy covers.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2016, 04:09:24 AM »
I hear there is a nice trailer for rent in Sylva, NC. There is still some chicken breast left in the freezer and you might also be able to find some old battle for the olympia VHS tape with only slightly greasy covers.

sounds like such prime real estate, I cannot afford something of that caliber. ;D

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2016, 04:12:10 AM »

What is "happiness"? Why many people think we are here for some kind of mystical "happiness"? I'm certainly not searching for happiness while trying to earn as much money as possible, I'm seeking for power, control, domination, being able to fuck hottest females. Sometimes I feel very happy achieving that, but I don't concentrate on that feeling.
Good for you, if that is working for you. Other people want something else. I am happy in a modest home, with a beat-up old car, and enough cash to buy the food and cigars I want. I will be even happier once I find a job that allows me to travel less, and focus more on my hobbies.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2016, 04:43:41 AM »

Can't figure out who you are - but I've norrowed it down to either Tywin Lannister, Kylo Ren, or Megatron.  

Or you might be a lion.
Y

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2016, 04:53:06 AM »
Good for you, if that is working for you. Other people want something else. I am happy in a modest home, with a beat-up old car, and enough cash to buy the food and cigars I want. I will be even happier once I find a job that allows me to travel less, and focus more on my hobbies.

Well I'd guess that making sure the odds of survival are as good as possible - is "working" for anyone. Unless suicidal. There can be an in between (like your outlook), but who wouldn't increase their survival ods if given a chance, however you look. Happiness is a higly misunderstood concept, very skewed and many people are running in circles just because of that (many indulge in alco/narco, just because they can't seem to find that "nirvana", "permanent happiness", which simply does not exist). I dont ceased to care about how happy I am quite some time ago, because I know that feeling "happy" is a natural outcome when you have all your ducks in a row in life, pretty much it. I feel at ease most of the time, chill, not much worries, my survival is not threatened too much, thus I'm pretty "happy" (not depressed is good enough).

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2016, 04:54:54 AM »
Can't figure out who you are - but I've norrowed it down to either Tywin Lannister, Kylo Ren, or Megatron.  

Or you might be a lion.

I'm Jaime Lanister, just with both hands. A warrior, a hero, a leader and well... I don't fuck my sister either (because I dont have one. Esp. as hot as Sersey).

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2016, 04:55:22 AM »

Or you might be a lion.

I've seen pics...Megatron is probably the closest.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2016, 04:58:19 AM »
I've seen pics...Megatron is probably the closest.

If megatron wore a bowtie and skinny jeans.
Y

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2016, 05:00:11 AM »
I'm Jaime Lanister, just with both hands. A warrior, a hero, a leader and well... I don't fuck my sister either (because I dont have one. Esp. as hot as Sersey).

This makes me hard...until I realize that you might be Jason Blaha.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2016, 05:30:23 AM »
Well I'd guess that making sure the odds of survival are as good as possible - is "working" for anyone. Unless suicidal. There can be an in between (like your outlook), but who wouldn't increase their survival ods if given a chance, however you look. Happiness is a higly misunderstood concept, very skewed and many people are running in circles just because of that (many indulge in alco/narco, just because they can't seem to find that "nirvana", "permanent happiness", which simply does not exist). I dont ceased to care about how happy I am quite some time ago, because I know that feeling "happy" is a natural outcome when you have all your ducks in a row in life, pretty much it. I feel at ease most of the time, chill, not much worries, my survival is not threatened too much, thus I'm pretty "happy" (not depressed is good enough).
So the difference between you and me is that I do not fear the odds being against me. No reason to fear the odds, I know there is never going to be a threat to my happiness.

Tha Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2016, 05:41:22 AM »
Lol, retiring after three years of six figure income? Dude, I haven't made under $250k a year since 2010 and I'm not retiring anytime soon. You pay shit off and find other stuff to spend money on, thus keeping you working. That is, if you are a "hungry" person. I'm setting up for future generations of my family by investing in my kids. I put a minimum of $4,000 a year in each of their college accounts. You want to blow off steam? $10k a year in a travel budget at least. I used to think at 25 that people who made "x" amount a year would have no problems, but the reality is, that you just spend more and find more shit to buy.

Not everyone is like this. I went from around 200-220K beginning of last year to 500K at the end and still going, I save my money and buy things in bulk in order to make more money and save it to have backup just in case. Also so I can make sure I keep earning that much and any competition I have doesn't get a chance to stop me. I also don't spend my money on anything big and wouldn't until I had enough so I don't have problems. Why i'm not married too  :).

I fucking love making this much for no other reason than it was my goal to get to this level and of course I want to go higher. I have two shitty cars and I really don't care about anything materialistic, just reaching goals.

If I get to the point where I never have to work again I would probably still work as hard but start blowing half the money on shit LOL.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2016, 05:59:30 AM »
This makes me hard...until I realize that you might be Jason Blaha.

But..... I could very well be the Allmihty.......Mike..... .....O'MG, Hearn!

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2016, 06:01:22 AM »
If megatron wore a bowtie and skinny jeans.

I have to downplay my intimidating stature so people would be curious to know the "inner side" of me, not just evaluate like a piece of meat/a greek statue. I have a sensitive side, u know.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2016, 06:02:16 AM »
So the difference between you and me is that I do not fear the odds being against me. No reason to fear the odds, I know there is never going to be a threat to my happiness.

May be true. I just tried to explain why people strive to get rich and work a lot. For the same reason why our ancestors strived to hunt as much meat as possible.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2016, 06:08:33 AM »
May be true. I just tried to explain why people strive to get rich and work a lot. For the same reason why our ancestors strived to hunt as much meat as possible.
I know. And if it makes you happy, then that's fine. I believe the OP was referring to people who do what you do because they feel they are somehow obligated to do it. Those are the people I pity. If you do it because you like making more money for its own sake: great. In the grand scheme of things as useful as me trying to lift as much weight overhead as possible, but both equally valid options if they are the ones you chose for maximising happiness.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2016, 06:15:00 AM »
I know. And if it makes you happy, then that's fine. I believe the OP was referring to people who do what you do because they feel they are somehow obligated to do it. Those are the people I pity. If you do it because you like making more money for its own sake: great. In the grand scheme of things as useful as me trying to lift as much weight overhead as possible, but both equally valid options if they are the ones you chose for maximising happiness.

I could repeat myself, but - I'm not searching for happiness. I find this "search for happiness" very flawed from a get go. No other animal is trying to search for happiness, only people, and they fail miserably. Because they doesn't realize that we are here not to be "happy" (today I feel kind of sad. Idk why tbh, but I don't mind it, it will pass, just like when I'm feeling very happy, it's a constant change), we are here to fight for survival, survive, procreate, to be alive so to speak. If we are succesfull at that (live comfortably/no stress, because stress equals a threat of death in it's essence) - we feel "good emotions", and if we are conctantly succeeding at it - we are "happy", there's really nothing else to that. I'm not trying to maximise my happiness, I'm trying to maximise my power, my survival, survival of my closest people. I like fucking hot and young girls, it doesn't usualy happen if one is not very valuable as a partner for survival (aside good genes). People overrationalize this shit way too much.