Author Topic: Blue Stars and DOMS.  (Read 120600 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: Where are my Blue Stars?!!?
« Reply #225 on: April 19, 2017, 03:10:32 AM »
No panel of experts exist to award such a degree.  Without these bona fides we're left to sort the wheat from the chaff.  The flotsam from the jetsons.  We're like a man shucking corn in the dark, reaching out for another ear, and saying hopefully "Vince, is that you?!"

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #226 on: April 19, 2017, 03:13:49 AM »

My best lifts are Bench 410, Full Squat 470, Deadlift 525, Curl 177.5, Standing Press 270.

Good lifts, especially your presses. How come your deadlift and squat didn't develop to the same standard?  

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #227 on: April 19, 2017, 03:14:30 AM »
Too lazy to clean snots off welds, it's the sloppy lack of dedication and application shown here that prevents you from ever achieving blue stars Vince

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #228 on: April 19, 2017, 03:18:24 AM »
Ha I'm not welder enough to offer criticism but what the hell.  No grinding evident after or before.  Vince did you just weld straight through the damn paint?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #229 on: April 19, 2017, 03:18:51 AM »
hey Vince

did you ever see or get to try Arthur Jones' hyper machines?

they allowed both a maximum positive rep and a maximum negative

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #230 on: April 19, 2017, 04:09:33 AM »
hey Vince

did you ever see or get to try Arthur Jones' hyper machines?

they allowed both a maximum positive rep and a maximum negative

Had to do a search for these Omni machines as Dr Darden describes them on his forum.

Found two arm machines on Ebay for $7500 for the two but already sold.

I was impressed that the machines had double chains that never stretch or break whereas the single

chains do. Why didn't he use larger chains or double chains everywhere?

There are foot pads attached by chains to the pivot point and therefore you can help raise a resistance

using your legs. Then you can do negatives with more than you can do concentrically.

If I had those machines I would have to shift the arm pads two inches towards the user so that the elbows

don't contact the pads and cause an injury to the connective sheath over that joint.

http://www.drdarden.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=517B203654510E71F9D5E5C012F167F4.hydra?id=392666

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #231 on: April 19, 2017, 04:15:06 AM »
damn!

would love to have them machines

Simple Simon

« Reply #232 on: April 19, 2017, 04:31:13 AM »
which one is more important for muscle growth - doms or pump?
neither, its genetics...

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #233 on: April 19, 2017, 04:37:19 AM »
Too lazy to clean snots off welds, it's the sloppy lack of dedication and application shown here that prevents you from ever achieving blue stars Vince

What are you talking about? The machine welds look fine to me.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #234 on: April 19, 2017, 04:39:24 AM »
neither, its genetics...

Right there I know that you are NOT an expert. Whatever do you actually know about genetics and muscular size potential? Nothing. Just guessing like most people.

Simple Simon

« Reply #235 on: April 19, 2017, 04:41:31 AM »
Right there I know that you are NOT an expert. Whatever do you actually know about genetics and muscular size potential? Nothing. Just guessing like most people.
shut up gimmick.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #236 on: April 19, 2017, 05:22:23 AM »
Ha I'm not welder enough to offer criticism but what the hell.  No grinding evident after or before.  Vince did you just weld straight through the damn paint?

Also The shape of the pictured weld suggests he welded downwards which doesn't achieve a great deal of penetration by to be fair dosent really matter on relatively thin walled box section

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #237 on: April 19, 2017, 05:27:04 AM »
What are you talking about? The machine welds look fine to me.

You are correct, Apart from this one where The Weld has tailed off the joint and been too lazy to grind it off and just welded over it.

I'm just fucking around Vince, your welding is far better that the shite you see on the majority of bought weight  equipment which is usually terrible

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #238 on: April 19, 2017, 05:29:06 AM »
hey Vince

what do you think about maximum strength training?

seems like the vast concensus is that one should cycle exercises every 3 weeks

for example on chest do max rep bbench ie. 1-3 reps for 3 weeks then switch to another heavy chest move like db bench for 3 weeks at 1-3 reps then to wweighted dips for 3 weeks etc.

what's your thought on this and max strength training?

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #239 on: April 19, 2017, 05:37:00 AM »

he is the best built 50 plus guy on the forum

hope that helps fatty
T

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #240 on: April 19, 2017, 06:44:12 AM »
hey Vince

what do you think about maximum strength training?

seems like the vast concensus is that one should cycle exercises every 3 weeks

for example on chest do max rep bbench ie. 1-3 reps for 3 weeks then switch to another heavy chest move like db bench for 3 weeks at 1-3 reps then to wweighted dips for 3 weeks etc.

what's your thought on this and max strength training?

I am not an expert in strength training. However, I did train to improve my pinch grip for a contest. What I did was train every 3rd day. If I trained sooner I couldn't lift as much the next day.

If I rested more than 2 days my maximum didn't improve. I would warm up doing a lot of light reps. Then I would add a plate (5kg) and do a few more. I would do less reps as the weight

increased substantially. My best maximum in training was 85 kg. In the contest I lifted 92.5 kg which is still the most weight anyone has ever lifted in the pinch grip with one hand.

I would work up to my maximum then rest a few minutes and try to repeat that weight. I would do 2 or 3 maximum attempts. Then I would take 10 kg off and do as many reps as I could.

I would repeat this 2 or 3 times and that was my workout. I concluded that for pinch gripping training every 3rd day was optimal. Going to the max each workout also produced good results.

I always ended with a few sets sub-maximal but still heavy. It is as if the brain said I will fix you and increased the capacity in the gripping muscles.

I applied what I discovered doing pinch gripping to hypertrophy and it worked just as well. When I was putting on 1/10 of an inch each and every arm and calf workout for a month I can tell you I

ended up running to my workouts. I was constantly sore but my strength shot up as well. Especially for heel raises for the calves. I was doing multiple sets of over 60 reps with 600 to 700 pounds.

I was doing short bouncing movements then after the set I would walk in two small circles then repeat the set over and over. I put on an inch on my arms in that month and over an inch on

my calves.

The trouble was I got sore elbows from rubbing them against the pads. That is how Larry Scott did the triceps extensions but you really have to extend your elbows past the end of the pads so

that they don't rub on them. I didn't have my biceps-supinator then. This was in 1999 and I didn't build the machine until 2001.

The bouncing on the heel raise caused some temporary damage to the Achilles tendons and I had to cease training. So I don't recommend extended ballistic movements for calves if repeated too

often on the same day and over a longer period of time such as a month.

My whole upper body grew from doing only arms. I tell trainees that but they don't believe me. Yeah, everyone is an expert but few make impressive gains. Most get stuck at intermediate levels

of hypertrophy which is a shame. They never stop to think that maybe what they are doing is no longer effective. Eventually they give up training since it seems to be a waste of time.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #241 on: April 19, 2017, 01:34:02 PM »
x

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #242 on: April 19, 2017, 02:49:33 PM »
I am not an expert in strength training. However, I did train to improve my pinch grip for a contest. What I did was train every 3rd day. If I trained sooner I couldn't lift as much the next day.

longer effective. Eventually they give up training since it seems to be a waste of time.

As a further clarification, you dispute the study posted. You wanted more details as to how they reached their conclusions yet you don't think it's worth getting the full study due to the $6 fee. I'm a bit surprised as you constantly complain about the lack of such studies and I'd think you jump at the chance to get some details.

But, that's OK, you can, and should, question.  Fair dinkum. Now I ask you what have you presented as far as evidence that your DOMS theory is effective? What evidence have you presented that this study has not?

And I believe we can use some of the ways a body deals with stress and apply it to bbing. You recall Mentzer borrowing heavily from Hans Seyle for whom bbing was the furthest thing from his mind. Yet, Mentzer saw the correlation. That's why the tanning and callous example I believe has some merit. I didn't make this up. Everything I know I learned from someone else. It was Mentzer that I got this example from. A stress will stimulate an adaptive response (a tan, a callous) too much of that stress will overwhelm the body and break down will occur (sunburn, blisters). This even occurs on an emotional level. If there is not some stress, some challenges, in one's life, you become like Howard.  You have no life force or motivation to do anything. Too much stress you become like Mentzer during his dark period.

Anyone who has experienced DOMS find that they are sore. They experience pain using that particular muscle. That that particular muscle no longer has the contractile strength it did previously and you are weaker. You are in the break down state which was proven in the study by the levels of
creatine kinase. And objective measurement. It also showed that strength increased only after they had recovered and their creatine kinase levels went down. These are very real evidence and proof. Something you have never demostrated.

So using some common sense doesn't pain serve a purpose? A signal to back off. When you are in a breakdown state does it make sense to continually break your body down? If you are run down due to lack of sleep should you go with even less sleep to build you systemic ability and perform even longer?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #243 on: April 19, 2017, 05:16:08 PM »
As a further clarification, you dispute the study posted. You wanted more details as to how they reached their conclusions yet you don't think it's worth getting the full study due to the $6 fee. I'm a bit surprised as you constantly complain about the lack of such studies and I'd think you jump at the chance to get some details.

But, that's OK, you can, and should, question.  Fair dinkum. Now I ask you what have you presented as far as evidence that your DOMS theory is effective? What evidence have you presented that this study has not?

And I believe we can use some of the ways a body deals with stress and apply it to bbing. You recall Mentzer borrowing heavily from Hans Seyle for whom bbing was the furthest thing from his mind. Yet, Mentzer saw the correlation. That's why the tanning and callous example I believe has some merit. I didn't make this up. Everything I know I learned from someone else. It was Mentzer that I got this example from. A stress will stimulate an adaptive response (a tan, a callous) too much of that stress will overwhelm the body and break down will occur (sunburn, blisters). This even occurs on an emotional level. If there is not some stress, some challenges, in one's life, you become like Howard.  You have no life force or motivation to do anything. Too much stress you become like Mentzer during his dark period.

Anyone who has experienced DOMS find that they are sore. They experience pain using that particular muscle. That that particular muscle no longer has the contractile strength it did previously and you are weaker. You are in the break down state which was proven in the study by the levels of
creatine kinase. And objective measurement. It also showed that strength increased only after they had recovered and their creatine kinase levels went down. These are very real evidence and proof. Something you have never demostrated.

So using some common sense doesn't pain serve a purpose? A signal to back off. When you are in a breakdown state does it make sense to continually break your body down? If you are run down due to lack of sleep should you go with even less sleep to build you systemic ability and perform even longer?

What we have here is a failure to communicate....or simply vastly different experiences and ideas.

So I will do a thought experiment for you and go back maybe 2 million years or longer. Imagine that our ancestors are hungry and are out hunting animals.

Suppose our hunter and gatherer gets into a fight after tracking some big game all day. The hunter is almost killed. This has been an extraordinary struggle

and he limps into a cave to sleep the night. In the morning the hunter awakes with his body quite sore from that struggle. Doms has set in. So what does

the hunter do since he hasn't eaten in a day? Will his muscles be able to operate and allow him to hunt and struggle? If not then we literally wouldn't be here

today. Keeping this in mind do you think that we can train when our bodies are quite sore? Absolutely. That soreness isn't like a sunburn or blister. We are

sore because there has been significant damage in the muscle fibers and they should adapt by getting stronger and perhaps a bit larger. Growth will occur

as long as sufficient nutrients are ingested.

The major stumbling block to hypertrophy is the repeated bout effect. The body will adapt to severe muscular exertion by growing larger and stronger. This

isn't easily measured in most muscles but a tape can record any growth on the arms and calves. Well over a week you can easily measure any changes.

What scientists discovered is that the body adapts to the stress of a severe workout and this adaptation lasts a long time....even months. So when you

encounter the same stress (workout) nothing much will happen except stay the same. There is no additional growth. This explains why so many trainees

are stuck on plateaus. They have to workout doing something more intense and or different from the last workout. This isn't always easy to do.

I give the example of rolling one of those huge machinery tyres that are used in strongman contests. It takes a big effort to get one of them up and rolling

but not so much effort to keep them rolling along. I apply that to hypertrophy training so that the repeated bout effect doesn't set in. Get the muscle quite

sore and then on the third day train again while it is still experiencing DOMS. The trainee won't feel like training but if he does do another hypertrophy

workout he will keep his muscles in a continuous state of growth. It is imperative NOT to recover completely. That is why I believe Jones and Mentzer were

mistaken about what Selye wrote about adaptation. If you wait until the soreness evaporates the repeated bout effect occurs and then you have a big

problem. How to stimulate more hypertrophy since the workout you did last time won't be sufficient.

If you want to keep the muscle continuously growing you HAVE to keep it sore. That is the gist of what I am claiming.

As you can see this will be easy to test. To me this is all very logical because it works on me. Will it work on other people....everyone?

I hope so but obviously don't know. Are our muscular systems actually quite different? I don't think they are different when it comes

to individual fibers and physiology. Some may have more fibers than others but the principle of hypertrophy should apply to

all muscle fibers.

Now let's talk about intensity of effort and hypertrophy. Is this the main factor in hypertrophy? Jones and Mentzer argued that it

was. I submit that this might be true for strength but it is only partly true for muscle size. What else is required? Volume. If you

do sufficient intensity with sufficient volume you should stimulate hypertrophy. How much intensity and how much volume?

The scientists don't know unless they observe what the huge bodybuilders do. What would they find? Well, the champs do

lots and lots of sets with reasonably heavy weights. Of course that isn't specific enough to distill a theory of hypertrophy from.

More in another post.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #244 on: April 19, 2017, 05:45:11 PM »
How I discovered the DOMS principle. Back in 1999 I decided to have a go getting my arms larger than ever. I wanted 18 inch cold arms.

At the time I knew about mechanical tension experienced by a muscle. It was easy to determine that if the last rep of a set was productive

then how much time is needed to stimulate hypertrophy? Suppose it takes 10 sets going to failure to cause growth. That means the last

rep or two in those sets stimulate growth. Add them up and we find we need something like 20 to 60 seconds of 100% intensity.

What I did for arms were triceps extensions but done in a very strict fashion where the elbows hardly move. I would keep the severe mechanical

tension on the triceps until I had accumulated enough to stimulate hypertrophy. I can tell you my arms were shaking from these intense

workouts. Did I grow? You bet. However, something odd happened. I stopped growing when my arms reached 17 1/2 inches. I tried to

keep the severe mechanical tension on the triceps to no avail. Now, everyone knows it is foolish to keep doing the same thing over and over

and expect a different result. So I tried doing a different exercise. I had built two lying triceps extension machines for our gym. Larry Scott

favoured this exercise and I designed and built apparatus to effectively do that exercise. I even had pads on the sides so that the elbows

couldn't move sideways during the exercise. I applied the same mechanical tension to this exercise and ended up doing many maximum

sets to failure. What was the result? Very sore triceps the next day. How come this happened when I was applying very intense mechanical

tension to the triceps? Well, the lying exercise puts the triceps in a stretched position which increases the tension on the muscle. The pads

keep the elbows from moving. The user has his body in a straight position so that he can apply maximum force. The exercise was simply

more effective. The novelty caused DOMS.

What occurred in my mind was interesting. A light went on and I had a discovery moment. I had been training since 1958 so by 1999 that

was over 40 years. We all knew about DOMS but we always wanted to avoid triggering it. We never gave beginners too many sets and this

way we avoided anyone getting too sore. How come DOMS occurred from a workout that wasn't more severe than previous workouts?

It didn't matter. What was important was that it DID occur. I then clearly knew why so many guys reach plateaus and stop growing.

I didn't stop there because it was obvious to me that DOMS indicates growth especially in a bodybuilder doing hard training. If DOMS

indicates growth then what would happen if you kept the muscle continuously sore? Rapid growth.

I couldn't wait to try this on myself and since my pinch gripping experience suggested training every third day that is exactly what I did.

The DOMS was sustained and I put an inch on my arms from only 10 workouts. One tenth of an inch per workout. Same with the calves.

The method worked like magic for me. I was thrilled to be able to grow rapidly. I knew why I never got really large muscles in the past.

I unwittingly did things that caused injuries in my elbows and Achilles tendons so had to cease that experiment. Now I advocate keeping

elbows clear of pads while working out. We don't let our knees rub on benches during leg curls so the same thing applies to biceps and

triceps. Keep the elbows off pads. For calves and any exercise try to avoid ballistic movements. Chronic ballistic training with heavy

resistance will cause damage in connective tissue. I never thought it was possible to damage the Achilles training calves. Never happened

in over 40 years of training.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #245 on: April 19, 2017, 06:08:52 PM »
As you can see from the photos above I am not just another armchair thinker. I actually apply what I know to building machines.

I have invented a biceps-supinator machine. Arthur Jones pointed out that one of the functions of the biceps was supination or

twisting the wrists. He never made a Nautilus or Medx machine that would provide resistance for supination and flexion at the

same time. When I got the patent through in the USA I contacted Arthur in his home. I had to get his number from Ellington

Darden. Well, I talked with Arthur for over an hour and he didn't mind Roz listening in on another line. I told him I would set

him a photo of the machine and he declined in case I accused him of copying the design. We had a really good talk and what

a pity I lived too far away to visit him. It isn't often that one meets someone who we connect with on an intellectual level.

I have talked hypertrophy with Mike Mentzer at Golds in 1991. I was living at Ray Mentzer's place so he arranged for us to

meet. We didn't see eye to eye on anything that day. This was before my DOMS theory arrived. Mike had his ideas and I had

mine. I would read his excellent articles in the magazines but I didn't embrace them like some guys did. Ray gave seminars

and conducted training sessions twice at our gyms in Sydney. So we got to know a lot about how Ray trained. He was one

big and strong dude. I recall one day working up to 9 plates on the lying triceps machine. When I finished he figured he

could do the same weight so did many reps without warming up. That was a crazy thing to do. The elbows need to be flushed

with blood before using heavy weights. Ray rubbed his elbows after that effort. That was showing off. He did boast about doing

two deep squats with 925 pounds at his Muscle Mill gym in Torrance.

Ray influences several bodybuilders in our two gyms and I think everyone reduced the number of sets they were doing. We

trained three days a week and did one direct exercise for biceps, for example, and on another day did an indirect exercise for

that muscle. So we were training muscles twice a week. That is close to what I advocated...which is every third day.

What about that invention I came up with...a biceps supinator? It was a daunting machine to build. It has 21 pulleys.

I eventually bit the bullet and did everything myself and completed the first version in 2001, some 10 years after first

applying for a patent. I has been modified several times with the last major changed occurring last year. I finally

reinstalled the machine in our Melrose Park Gym in Sydney. Vince's Gym. I can tell you that this excellent machine

causes DOMS in my biceps every time I have a hard workout on it. That literally doesn't happen with other biceps

exercises. So now I can get both biceps and triceps sore in the same workout since I superset triceps and biceps.

Imagine the potential to build arm size with this knowledge and equipment?! What do the guys in my gym do?

The bodybuilders do mainly free weights. Ah, how I dislike the beliefs of muscleheads.

Sorry, no photo of the modified machine since I might be able to sell the design now.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #246 on: April 19, 2017, 06:45:04 PM »
I feel like we've discussed this before.  

Vince, haven't you yet concluded that more pulleys does not mean more better?  Simplicity is the heart of elegant design.  I understand that it was your baby but returning to the drawing board, wiser and experienced, might just be the thing to do at this stage.

So please don't think I'm criticizing the concept by saying someone could just put more weight on one side of a DB or grab the thing off center if they wanted some supination resistance.  

I'm just saying this is a classic 'if I knew then what I know now' situation.  Bringing your vast cumulative expertise to bear at the design phase might yield a result which even the great Arthur Jones would envy.  

Btw these are called torsion springs.  I mentioned them to you about 8 years ago.

That style is used to hold motor brushes in contact with commutators.  This style is found in mousetraps.  Big ones on garage doors.  

Even on some equipment.  Isn't that something?

If only there were some way to integrate them.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #247 on: April 19, 2017, 07:04:17 PM »
Vince Basile's Principles of Supination Hypertrophy will eventually wipe performance enhancing drugs off the face of the earth.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #248 on: April 19, 2017, 07:11:05 PM »
"Vince, darl!  It's NASA calling!"

"What, again?!  Tell 'em I'm still busy!"

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #249 on: April 19, 2017, 10:14:04 PM »
What we have here is a failure to communicate....or simply vastly different experiences and ideas.

So I will do a thought experiment for you and go back maybe 2 million years or longer. Imagine that our ancestors are hungry and are out hunting animals.

Suppose our hunter and gatherer gets into a fight after tracking some big game all day. The hunter is almost killed. This has been an extraordinary struggle

and he limps into a cave to sleep the night. In the morning the hunter awakes with his body quite sore from that struggle. Doms has set in. So what does

the hunter do since he hasn't eaten in a day? Will his muscles be able to operate and allow him to hunt and struggle? If not then we literally wouldn't be here

today. Keeping this in mind do you think that we can train when our bodies are quite sore? Absolutely. That soreness isn't like a sunburn or blister. We are

sore because there has been significant damage in the muscle fibers and they should adapt by getting stronger and perhaps a bit larger. Growth will occur

as long as sufficient nutrients are ingested.

The major stumbling block to hypertrophy is the repeated bout effect. The body will adapt to severe muscular exertion by growing larger and stronger. This

isn't easily measured in most muscles but a tape can record any growth on the arms and calves. Well over a week you can easily measure any changes.

What scientists discovered is that the body adapts to the stress of a severe workout and this adaptation lasts a long time....even months. So when you

encounter the same stress (workout) nothing much will happen except stay the same. There is no additional growth. This explains why so many trainees

are stuck on plateaus. They have to workout doing something more intense and or different from the last workout. This isn't always easy to do.

I give the example of rolling one of those huge machinery tyres that are used in strongman contests. It takes a big effort to get one of them up and rolling

but not so much effort to keep them rolling along. I apply that to hypertrophy training so that the repeated bout effect doesn't set in. Get the muscle quite

sore and then on the third day train again while it is still experiencing DOMS. The trainee won't feel like training but if he does do another hypertrophy

workout he will keep his muscles in a continuous state of growth. It is imperative NOT to recover completely. That is why I believe Jones and Mentzer were

mistaken about what Selye wrote about adaptation. If you wait until the soreness evaporates the repeated bout effect occurs and then you have a big

problem. How to stimulate more hypertrophy since the workout you did last time won't be sufficient.

If you want to keep the muscle continuously growing you HAVE to keep it sore. That is the gist of what I am claiming.

As you can see this will be easy to test. To me this is all very logical because it works on me. Will it work on other people....everyone?

I hope so but obviously don't know. Are our muscular systems actually quite different? I don't think they are different when it comes

to individual fibers and physiology. Some may have more fibers than others but the principle of hypertrophy should apply to

all muscle fibers.

Now let's talk about intensity of effort and hypertrophy. Is this the main factor in hypertrophy? Jones and Mentzer argued that it

was. I submit that this might be true for strength but it is only partly true for muscle size. What else is required? Volume. If you

do sufficient intensity with sufficient volume you should stimulate hypertrophy. How much intensity and how much volume?

The scientists don't know unless they observe what the huge bodybuilders do. What would they find? Well, the champs do

lots and lots of sets with reasonably heavy weights. Of course that isn't specific enough to distill a theory of hypertrophy from.

More in another post.

Many interesting and thought provoking points and I hope to address them all. I will just take them in the order presented and see how far I get.

In regard to your thought experiment I indeed have a very different perspective than you do. If our prehistoric hunter physical abilities is compromise in anyway it will severely reduce his chances for future success. Even at his pristine prime, our hunter's chance for success is tenuous at best. Even less so if he is injured or physically compromised. Unless he is taken care of by others in his group or tribe he will die. And most died in those days. When you consider that life expectancy was in the early forties back in the relatively cushy 1900s I imagine it was barely drinking age "back in the day" of our bare footed spear chucker. Kicking it Hobbesian style -- nasty, brutish and short -- is not conducive to longevity.

I recent watched a show on Cheetahs and how they are losing the great battle of surviving as a species. Their specialty, great speed, comes at a cost and some trade offs. Being so fast Cheetahs have had to give up size and strength. So they are limited in their choices of prey and the prey they do take down are in danger of being swiped by other bigger and stronger predators like hyenas. The Cheetah is too small, weak and solitary to defend it's kill.

A Cheetah has about three attempts to make a kill before their survival rate begins to plummet drastically. After the third attempt a Cheetah's strength and stamina nose dives and they can longer muster the speed and strength to run down and overcome potential prey. It's state of DOMS is not helping them adapt to their survival and unless they recover and get out of that "DOMS" state they will die. And they do die.

In this study they cited a rare case where three Cheetahs banded together. Being solitary makes survival much more difficult just like no man can survive in the wild very long by himself. Maybe, like humans, the Cheetah is discovering new strategies to enhance and continue it's survival. If not, they will die off just like the countless of other species, perhaps like even different versions of humans, died off and became extinct.

A DOMS infected prehistoric hunter has a chance of slim to none to be successful and contributing to a kill. No one wants a limping, heavy breathing hunter bringing the rest of the pack down. Best he stay at home with the women eating roots and berries until he is fit enough, recovered enough and DOMS free to make a meaningful contribution.

Either that or die.

Vince, if you were to have a hand to hand fight to the death with bigmc would you train your ass off all the way until the night before the event or wpuld you want to take a few days off to fully recover and be at your best and strongest?

Human recovery resources has to be prudently divvied out. Just day to day life without weight training requires a full night of sleep and recovery to be ready for the next day. Having a 20 inch arm is pretty low in the pecking order of human survival needs. Even fully recovered, expending recovery resources for large muscles is hardly a top priority. Imagine how much further it drops when you are in a constant state of disrepair, i.e. DOMS