Author Topic: GetBiggers' IQ Scores or Are We as Dumb as We Seem to be?  (Read 26484 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: GetBiggers' IQ Scores or Are We as Dumb as We Seem to be?
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2017, 04:32:16 PM »
Wow, so many super-genius savants congregating in this thread.

For what it's worth, here are the tests I've taken. 1,2,6 were school related, 3-5 were part of a test study I participated in during university for the training of school psychologists, 7-8 were for MENSA (with its low bar to entry ;D), 9-10 were for grad school.

1.   SB (LM)
2.   WISC
3.   WAIS
4.   House, Tree, Person Test
5.   Ravens Progressive Matrices
6.   SAT (first at 12, then at 17)*
7.   CTMM
8.   Wonderlic
9.   GRE
10.   LSAT

Modesty prohibits me from revealing my scores (like it matters :-X).

But here's the thing – extraordinary accomplishments, lucrative awards, grants, and fellowships, publications in respected journals and books (or its equivalent in other fields), hyper-competitive post-docs and appointments, and professional recognition from the inner sanctum of super achievers all beat stating a mere IQ score (big whoop). Moreover, my experience working alongside creative and multi-talented individuals with an average, by my estimates, of 140FSIQ and obscene cultural capital, super-high IQers don't generally talk about their scores; instead, such individuals "perform" their intelligence and talents. Also, my understanding is that SATs and ACTs only correlate to about .6 or so with IQ (they are only supposed to predict first year grades at university, and are not stand-ins for professionally administered IQ test, which are very complex and test a broad range of cognitive abilities; c.f., I don’t think MENSA accepts SATs and ACTs scores which were taken post-1994).

Kahn N. Singh, no doubt you had a high IQ. Though, as you know, not all of those are IQ tests. House-Tree-Person is a Projective Personality Test.

I took the GRE. Horrible experience.  :-X :-X :-X
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2017, 04:33:31 PM »
Perhaps, Bullshot Crummond, long admired for his derring-do and sporting wardrobe (esp. his Herringbone Bird's Eye Tweed).

The drink?

X

The Ugly

• Getbig V

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
  • Die Weltgeschichte ist das Weltgericht
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2017, 04:45:15 PM »
Kahn N. Singh, no doubt you had a high IQ. Though, as you know, not all of those are IQ tests. House-Tree-Person is a Projective Personality Test.

I took the GRE. Horrible experience.  :-X :-X :-X

Hey, SF1900!

Yeah, I questioned the examiner about the HTP. I was also told, afterwards, that my drawings, which I admit were very detailed, were used to show their connection to my WAIS score (my file was kept as a future teaching example). There were a few other tests, though I can't remember their names. One involved copying dots, lines, and words on a page. Funny thing about the WAIS, the examiner asked: Who wrote Faust? -- I said, "Goethe," she kept silent. I then said, "Berlioz," she kept silent. I then said, "Marlowe," she kept silent; finally, I said "GOATH .... G.O.E.T.H.E., Goethe." She said, "OH. Yes, that right." Wow, I thought, rolling my mind's eye.

In any case, lots of smart dudes on this forum.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2017, 05:17:27 PM »
Hey, SF1900!

Yeah, I questioned the examiner about the HTP. I was also told, afterwards, that my drawings, which I admit were very detailed, were used to show their connection to my WAIS score (my file was kept as a future teaching example). There were a few other tests, though I can't remember their names. One involved copying dots, lines, and words on a page. Funny thing about the WAIS, the examiner asked: Who wrote Faust? -- I said, "Goethe," she kept silent. I then said, "Berlioz," she kept silent. I then said, "Marlowe," she kept silent; finally, I said "GOATH .... G.O.E.T.H.E., Goethe." She said, "OH. Yes, that right." Wow, I thought, rolling my mind's eye.

Hey, Kahn!

Projective Personality Tests have undergone a lot of flack in the psychological community, especially since their is a HUGE push toward empirical forms of treatment. However, there is also evidence that Projective Personality Tests are a good indicator of personality variables.

Either way, when conducting a psychological evaluation, any good evaluator would rely on MULTIPLE forms of data, including projective and objective measures of psychological functioning, self-report, as well as information gathered from other resources (parents, schools, etc.). No one piece of data is looked at in isolation. Its always compared to the other forms of data.

Ha, well, she probably was not familiar with Goethe. I am. My favorite Goethe quote, "When we treat man as he is we make him worse than he is. When we treat him as if he already was what he potentially could be, we make him what he should be.”
X

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2017, 05:18:03 PM »
Spot on.

I would say you're at least average.  I would rate you high on mechanical ability regarding heavy equipment and construction.  You also seem to have interpersonal ability to lead and organize a group of workers.    

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2017, 05:20:19 PM »
I would say you're at least average.  I would rate you high on mechanical ability regarding heavy equipment and construction.  You also seem to have interpersonal ability to lead and organize a group of workers.    

why did you delete the part about the problem with IQ tests is that there are so many forms of intelligence?

This may appeal to you more. Howard Gardner's Multiple Theory of Intelligence

X

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2017, 05:21:25 PM »
Thanks.  I'm not a smart man but I can lift heavy things.

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2017, 05:41:04 PM »
Hey, Kahn!

Projective Personality Tests have undergone a lot of flack in the psychological community, especially since their is a HUGE push toward empirical forms of treatment. However, there is also evidence that Projective Personality Tests are a good indicator of personality variables.

Either way, when conducting a psychological evaluation, any good evaluator would rely on MULTIPLE forms of data, including projective and objective measures of psychological functioning, self-report, as well as information gathered from other resources (parents, schools, etc.). No one piece of data is looked at in isolation. Its always compared to the other forms of data.

Ha, well, she probably was not familiar with Goethe. I am. My favorite Goethe quote, "When we treat man as he is we make him worse than he is. When we treat him as if he already was what he potentially could be, we make him what he should be.”

Awesome! I'll see your quote and ante this:

Faust:

Alas, I have studied philosophy,
The law as well as medicine,
And to my sorrow, theology;
Studied them well with ardent zeal,
Yet here I am, a wretched fool,
No wiser than I was before.
They call me Magister, even Doctor,
And for some ten years now
I’ve led my students by the nose,
Up and down, across, and in circles—
All I see is that we cannot know!

And this (which I quote in one of my pubs, with a nod to Jaroslav Pelikan):

"What you have as heritage, now take as task, for thus you will make it your own."

Quoting Goethe on Getbig -- LOL.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2017, 05:52:53 PM »
I really don't like standardized IQ tests, although I use them all the time. But, they do have great predictive validity.

I prefer Howard Gardner's "Theory of Multiple Intelligence."

Not to start a big to-do, but does Gardner make a distinction between "intelligence" (in the case of kinesthetic, say) and what we might normally just consider skill/ability?

Guess I'm wondering if he's redefining ideas he thinks we've misunderstood, or if these intelligences measure something entirely different. I studied this some time ago, but I've since forgotten.

Meta-physical

« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2017, 06:11:02 PM »

Faust:

"What you have as heritage, now take as task, for thus you will make it your own."

Well, gents, It just so happens I bumped into the man himself a few weeks ago in Berlin, while browsing the German Historical Museum. However, it wasn't the only familiar face I encountered there. Perhaps you might recognise the 'Getbigger' in this rather marvellous painting - it's before the anabolics robbed him of his glorious locks, of course.

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2017, 06:17:06 PM »
Well, gents, It just so happens I bumped into the man himself a few weeks ago in Berlin, while browsing the German Historical Museum. However, it wasn't the only familiar face I encountered there. Perhaps you might recognise the 'Getbigger' in this rather marvellous painting - it's before the anabolics robbed him of his glorious locks, of course.
;D ;D

Coach is rather Nibelunglich.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2017, 06:18:17 PM »

Faust:

Those are both awesome quotes! Thanks for sharing!
X

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2017, 06:22:20 PM »
Hey, SF1900!

What happened when you said burrleeoz? ;D

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2017, 06:27:58 PM »
What happened when you said burrleeoz? ;D

Hey, Ceph!

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2017, 06:30:56 PM »
Here's an example of high-IQ back and forth between Syntax (who's always extremely impressive) and Gonuclear (who showed uncommon familiarity with the literature -- though not as deeply as Syntax [lol, assuming this wasn't Syntax trolling from both sides]) -- again, on Getbig, of all places: http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=540459.0

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2017, 07:01:46 PM »
why did you delete the part about the problem with IQ tests is that there are so many forms of intelligence?

This may appeal to you more. Howard Gardner's Multiple Theory of Intelligence

I actually believe there are more types of intelligence than you show.  Garder is grouping some diverse categories together.  For example, to say someone's intelligent in Engineering is actually pretty broad considering all the different types of engineering.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2017, 07:04:02 PM »
I actually believe there are more types of intelligence than you show.  Garder is grouping some diverse categories together.  For example, to say someone's intelligent in Engineering is actually pretty broad considering all the different types of engineering.

There are probably thousands and thousands types of intelligence. However, you can't reasonably compile them into a coherent theory that will make sense to school systems. Some overlap is needed in order to make it applicable in the real world (school systems). You need some sort of coherent, feasible framework.
X

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2017, 07:09:09 PM »
No intent to belittle Vince in any manner, but I fail to see, hear or read any of Vince's  contributions to this board  that would insinuate that he is any smarter/wiser than an average US citizen who has a 100-110 IQ.

Due to time constraints or lack of interest on an individual's GetBig submissions, I am overly  selective on whose post I actually spend time readings and that could be one of the reasons why I fail to see any degree of great intelligence on Vince's part.

So I gotta admit that I am no great judge regarding his intelliegence even if I read everything he ever wrote., so the above is simply based on random observations.

And I am under the opinion that the various IQ tests that are available on the internet are not as accurate as those IQ tests administered by the professionals under ideal conditions.

Vince .... NO INTEND TO OFFEND YA WITH ANYTHING I HAVE STATED ABOVE. I only speak adversely when I am within 'nose punching' distance from the individual I am somewhat opposed to.

The old day way of settling differences before the computers came in vogue.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2017, 07:22:49 PM »
200 IQ. lmao.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2017, 07:28:28 PM »
dont forget about EQ too.  ive nailed one  :P 8)

there is a chapter in the book "outliers" and there is an interesting story about a super brilliant guy with an IQ off the charts and he ends nowhere do to just bad luck and shit.  great book

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2017, 08:00:18 PM »
No intent to belittle Vince in any manner, but I fail to see, hear or read any of Vince's  contributions to this board  that would insinuate that he is any smarter/wiser than an average US citizen who has a 100-110 IQ.

Due to time constraints or lack of interest on an individual's GetBig submissions, I am overly  selective on whose post I actually spend time readings and that could be one of the reasons why I fail to see any degree of great intelligence on Vince's part.

So I gotta admit that I am no great judge regarding his intelliegence even if I read everything he ever wrote., so the above is simply based on random observations.

And I am under the opinion that the various IQ tests that are available on the internet are not as accurate as those IQ tests administered by the professionals under ideal conditions.

Vince .... NO INTEND TO OFFEND YA WITH ANYTHING I HAVE STATED ABOVE. I only speak adversely when I am within 'nose punching' distance from the individual I am somewhat opposed to.

The old day way of settling differences before the computers came in vogue.

Correlation between Goodrum's credibility and number of posts you read about him.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2017, 08:07:26 PM »

Who would have thought that someone with your education could be so vulgar and boorish in your treatment of others here. Often your posts reek of a seriously disturbed person of the sadistic type. You delight in making others feel as uncomfortable as possible. Instead of being clever and witty you reveal a nasty streak that makes my skin crawl. You are capable of intelligent discussions but we seldom witness anything of the sort.
Clearly you are a sadistic pervert.