Author Topic: Tariffs are the greatest!  (Read 8737 times)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: Tariffs are the greatest!
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2018, 08:40:39 PM »
Newt tweeted today that we could very well be looking at 3.5 to 5% consistent type growth for the foreseeable future.

The takeaway being that if you combine the potential of the United States economy with competent leadership, the sky is the limit.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 02:19:14 PM »
Amid a U.S.-China trade war, the two major stock indexes in China have lost one-quarter of their value from highs this year.

Meanwhile, the U.S.-benchmark, the S&P 500, is inches away from setting a record and in three weeks will post the longest bull market in its history.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/06/analysts-say-chinas-market-plunge-will-not-end-its-trade-war-with-us.html

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 05:46:04 PM »
Dammit Trump! >:(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2018, 05:12:34 AM »
In Trump win, Canada, U.S. deal saves NAFTA as trilateral pact

In a big victory for his agenda to shake-up an era of global free trade that many associate with the signing of NAFTA in 1994, President Donald Trump coerced Canada and Mexico to accept more restrictive commerce with their main export partner.

Trump's primary objective in reworking NAFTA was to bring down U.S. trade deficits, a goal he has also pursued with China, by imposing hundreds of billions of dollars in tariffs on imported goods from the Asian giant.

While the new United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) avoids tariffs, it will make it harder for global auto makers to build cars cheaply in Mexico and is aimed at bringing more jobs into the United States.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/canada-u-race-against-midnight-deadline-revamping-nafta-005101248.html

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2018, 11:07:47 AM »
LOL @ 36:29
 ;D ;D ;D

:

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2018, 11:27:11 AM »

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2018, 12:20:32 PM »
LOL @ 36:29
 ;D ;D ;D

Greatest President since Reagan.

Guy is awesome.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2018, 01:03:13 PM »
Somebody talk Straw Man off the ledge. On second thought, don't.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2018, 01:17:18 PM »
the same day that Trumptard declares "tariffs are the greatest" he turns around and gives 12 billion in welfare to US farmers impacted by his idiotic trade war

Doesn't get much dumber than this

Another thread backfire for the village idiot. Again, just nod and say "yes"

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2018, 01:36:44 PM »
In Trump win, Canada, U.S. deal saves NAFTA as trilateral pact

In a big victory for his agenda to shake-up an era of global free trade that many associate with the signing of NAFTA in 1994, President Donald Trump coerced Canada and Mexico to accept more restrictive commerce with their main export partner.

Trump's primary objective in reworking NAFTA was to bring down U.S. trade deficits, a goal he has also pursued with China, by imposing hundreds of billions of dollars in tariffs on imported goods from the Asian giant.

While the new United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) avoids tariffs, it will make it harder for global auto makers to build cars cheaply in Mexico and is aimed at bringing more jobs into the United States.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/canada-u-race-against-midnight-deadline-revamping-nafta-005101248.html

Dow jumps more than 250 points after the US and Canada secure a deal to replace NAFTA

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/01/us-markets-us-and-canada-trade-deal-economic-data-eyed.html

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2018, 01:54:56 PM »
Just curious what exactly you idiots think you're celebrating

All they did was FINALLY get the NAFTA re-negotiation done

You'll need to wait at least a few years before we know if Trump fucked this up or actually did something that's a net benefit

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2018, 02:41:41 PM »

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2018, 03:44:25 PM »

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2018, 04:10:14 PM »
LOL - I see that not a single Trumptard can answer my question

Are any of you idiots even aware that Trumptard was trying to re-negotiate NAFTA without involving Canada which was not even allowed under the original agreement

That's the reason why this didn't get done sooner

They needed to go back and have Canada included

Pretty hilarious that you guys are celebrating a one day jump in the Dow (which no one actually gives a shit about)

Any update on how the tariffs are impacting US Companies

The following is a list of recent comments made by U.S. companies (I'm sure they've all taken today off to celebrate the Dow)

- Caterpillar Inc (CAT.N) said U.S. tariffs on Chinese imports are expected to increase its material costs by about $100 million to $200 million in the second half of the year. The heavy machinery maker plans to offset most of the higher costs with mid-year price hikes.

- General Electric Co (GE.N) estimated that new tariffs on its imports from China could raise its costs by $300 million to $400 million overall, before steps to lessen the impact.

- Detroit automakers General Motors Co (GM.N), Ford Motor Co (F.N) and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV (FCHA.MI) (FCAU.N) lowered their full-year profit forecasts due to escalating tariffs.

- Boeing Co (BA.N) is concerned about the impact of possible trade tariffs on the cost of running its supply chain, but has not yet seen any impact from U.S.-Chinese trade tensions on its business, Chief Executive Officer Dennis Muilenburg said.

- U.S. industrial conglomerate Honeywell International Inc (HON.N) said it would increase the use of supply chain sources from non-China countries to counter growing costs related to a tariff war between the world’s two largest economies.

- Home furnishings chain At Home Group Inc (HOME.N) said it would make adjustments to its supply chain to mitigate the impact of the proposed tariffs on goods imported from China.

- Home furnishing retailer Pier 1 Imports (PIR.N) says the company does not expect financial results in fiscal 2019 to be materially affected by proposed tariffs. About 59 percent of the company’s fiscal 2019 net sales are expected to be derived from merchandise produced in China.

Of the 59 percent of 2019 sales from Chinese merchandise, about half is expected to have products subject to proposed tariff.

- U.S. motorcycle maker Harley-Davidson Inc (HOG.N) said it expected incremental costs of about $15 million to $20 million for the remainder of the year from the steel and aluminum tariffs imposed by Trump. It also says it will take further hits from retaliatory moves from the European Union.

- Polaris Industries Inc (PII.N), which makes Indian motorcycles, raised its 2018 cost estimates related to tariffs to $40 million from $7 million, and said it expected to ramp up motorcycle production in Poland for European market in 2019 to offset higher costs.

- Diversified industrial manufacturer 3M Co (MMM.N) said it expects an impact of about $10 million, or 1 cent per share, on an annualized basis from the tariffs passed so far. The company also said it was prepared to make changes to supply, sourcing and pricing in response to any further tariffs.

- Paper and packaging company International Paper (IP.N) Chief Executive Officer Mark Sutton says the company has so far not had any direct impact from tariff disputes.

- Otis elevator maker United Technologies Corp (UTX.N) said based on tariffs which have been enacted so far it expects to see 5 cent per share impact in 2018. The company expects to see a much bigger impact in 2019.

- Medical device maker Boston Scientific (BSX.N) said it buys a “very small portion” of components from China and that it has the ability to substitute with other suppliers outside of China since it does not manufacture in the country. - Upscale home furnishing chain RH (RH.N) expects to reduce significantly the amount of goods sourced from China in its 2019 fiscal year to mitigate the impact of proposed new tariffs by the United States.

- Gentex Corp (GNTX.O), a maker of aircraft windows and rear-view mirrors, said it expected cost increases of between $5 million and $8 million for the second half of 2018 related to its planned purchases of raw materials from China.

- Meat Processor Tyson Foods Inc (TSN.N) cut its full-year profit forecast, citing the uncertainty in trade policies and increased tariffs that have hurt domestic and export prices of meat.

- Toymaker Hasbro Inc (HAS.O) said it was moving more production out of China as a result of the tariffs, adding 30 percent of its manufacturing was now done elsewhere.

- Danaher Corp (DHR.N), which develops technology for the dental, life sciences, diagnostics and environmental industries, said it expected an earnings impact of 1 cent per quarter, and that it would look to modify manufacturing locations.

- U.S. pipeline operator Plains All American Pipeline (PAA.N) said the tariffs were tolerable for the company, but it applied for exemptions. However, the company added that if it could not get the exemption or the required quota of steel, “it would just basically extend and delay growth.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-china/factbox-impact-of-u-s-china-trade-tariffs-on-u-s-companies-idUSKBN1KK23E

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2018, 04:22:02 PM »

Are any of you idiots even aware that Trumptard was trying to re-negotiate NAFTA without involving Canada which was not even allowed under the original agreement

Pretty hilarious that you guys are celebrating a one day jump in the Dow (which no one actually gives a shit about)

The following is a list of recent comments made by U.S. companies (I'm sure they've all taken today off to celebrate the Dow)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-china/factbox-impact-of-u-s-china-trade-tariffs-on-u-s-companies-idUSKBN1KK23E
A one day jump in the Dow?  Are you really this dense or are you putting on an act?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2018, 05:12:32 PM »
A one day jump in the Dow?  Are you really this dense or are you putting on an act?

scroll up

I'm not the one who posted this in this thread as some sort of thing to celebrate

Dow jumps more than 250 points after the US and Canada secure a deal to replace NAFTA

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/01/us-markets-us-and-canada-trade-deal-economic-data-eyed.html

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2018, 05:16:15 PM »
Jobs for American workers.

America first.

F*** China.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2018, 05:18:38 PM »
I'm not even sure why Trumptards have mentioned NAFTA in this thread (much less celebrating a one day jump in the DJA)

This NAFTA deal still has to be approved by Congress which possibly won't happen until 2019

The steel and aluminum tariff remain in place and Canada already got an exemption for their auto makers for up to 2.6 million autos imported to the US which is fine with Canada since they have only been sending us ~ 1.8 million

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2018, 05:21:33 PM »
Jobs for American workers.

America first.

F*** China.

tell that to Trumptard

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2018, 06:39:42 PM »
Last week I got an annual report from my investment manager. My conservative and less conservative mix of investments earned 1.5%. Whoopee!!! Tell me, how can I get on the Trump gravy train?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2018, 07:04:16 PM »
Last week I got an annual report from my investment manager. My conservative and less conservative mix of investments earned 1.5%. Whoopee!!! Tell me, how can I get on the Trump gravy train?
Take your investments out of a fixed interest account and live a little. :o
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2018, 07:52:27 PM »

Cat is trash and has consistently over priced their shit.  Then they gouge on parts and service.  SAD!

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2018, 04:04:02 AM »

You must be all in bonds and/or cash/cash equivalents.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2018, 04:44:10 AM »
scroll up

I'm not the one who posted this in this thread as some sort of thing to celebrate

The Dow has exploded since Trump took office and you say 1 day jump.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2018, 05:45:21 AM »

Fire your investment manager immediately.  He's a hardened criminal who is raping you.  Then again, you might like that.  I don't know.  I'm not judging.

A portfolio with a mixture of low cost, broad, whole US stock, whole international stock, and whole US bond(gov & corp, short, mid, and long term) index funds should be returning at least 6% right now.  And this is somewhat conservative.

A young or middle age person investing all into a single low cost, whole(small, mid, and large cap) US stock market index fund should be seeing returns of 11% to 13% right now.