Author Topic: 2019 Olympia - Congrats Brandon Curry... but Hadi was robbed  (Read 12313 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Re: 2019 Olympia - Congrats Brandon Curry... but Hadi was robbed
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2019, 05:01:10 PM »
I think the increase in bodybuilding is largely due to the rising popularity of physique/classic contests, and less so the heavyweight bodybuilders.

Good point.

I think a lot of fans are like me. We don't like the turn modern-day open bbing has taken with sacrificing conditioning for size. Unlike the golden age, the vast majority don't want to look like that let alone do to your body what it takes just to get that look. A sport that was once all about health and fitness has to be the least healthy sport today. It's harmful to your body in so many ways.

I just look at it like a freak show. Cartoon character prancing around for out entertaining and showing how far you can take the human body. I remember showing a friend who doesn't follow bbing a pic of a prime Ronnie and he just remarked: "what's left"? How much further can you go?

I don't know. But I'd like to see.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Congrats Brandon Curry... Hadi was robbed
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2019, 05:36:40 PM »
I like Bob Chic. Who would be better? That other guy from wrestling (Lonnie Tepper?) isn't as good as Bob. But it really doesn't matter who they put up there. The still will be trashed here.

The knee is getting better. I'm able to get around a lot better but still can't walk without crutches.

Unless the doctor says to lose the crutches, don't. When will you begin physical therapy, if you haven't already? Are stairs are not an issue at your place? What are you doing right now to help with flexibility?

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2019, 06:08:12 PM »
Unless the doctor says to lose the crutches, don't. When will you begin physical therapy, if you haven't already? Are stairs are not an issue at your place? What are you doing right now to help with flexibility?

Of course I've been doing PT in addition to my own routine. I'm homebound and don't like sitting around all day so I'm doing what I can as much as I can without overdoing it.

I have stairs but I didn't use it for the first two weeks and two days. Now I do it sparingly just for exercise. Still can't push off my left leg so it's mostly exercise for my right. As far as flexibility, I stretch. Trying to bend as much, trying to straighten as much. I can still touch my toes and grab my ankles to pull for additional range of motion. It's mostly the bending and straightening as I still can't break 90 degrees or lockout my leg. At this point, it's mostly about getting back strength and mobility. The worse of it, the sheering and burning pain, are behind me now. It's still a bit tender if I try to overexert it but it's good pain. The safety valve that reminds me of my limits.

The two week/two day mark was my breakthrough point where there was a marked improvement in range of motion. One night I couldn't even lift my leg from a seated or lying position to be able to swing it across from a seated to position to get into bed. Before I had to wrap my gi belt around my foot and pull with my hands to lift and swing it across.

I expect the next couple of weeks to make fast progress as I can do more now. I hope to be off the walker a month after my surgery and start heading back into the gym. I may still have my crutches or walker at the gym just because I can walk faster with it and to be safe. It depends on how I feel. I want to keep safety in mind because in the past I've push it too fast, ended up hurting myself, and consequently further delaying my recovery. Also, I'm a lot older now since my last surgeries.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2019, 07:26:06 PM »
Of course I've been doing PT in addition to my own routine. I'm homebound and don't like sitting around all day so I'm doing what I can as much as I can without overdoing it.

I have stairs but I didn't use it for the first two weeks and two days. Now I do it sparingly just for exercise. Still can't push off my left leg so it's mostly exercise for my right. As far as flexibility, I stretch. Trying to bend as much, trying to straighten as much. I can still touch my toes and grab my ankles to pull for additional range of motion. It's mostly the bending and straightening as I still can't break 90 degrees or lockout my leg. At this point, it's mostly about getting back strength and mobility. The worse of it, the sheering and burning pain, are behind me now. It's still a bit tender if I try to overexert it but it's good pain. The safety valve that reminds me of my limits.

The two week/two day mark was my breakthrough point where there was a marked improvement in range of motion. One night I couldn't even lift my leg from a seated or lying position to be able to swing it across from a seated to position to get into bed. Before I had to wrap my gi belt around my foot and pull with my hands to lift and swing it across.

I expect the next couple of weeks to make fast progress as I can do more now. I hope to be off the walker a month after my surgery and start heading back into the gym. I may still have my crutches or walker at the gym just because I can walk faster with it and to be safe. It depends on how I feel. I want to keep safety in mind because in the past I've push it too fast, ended up hurting myself, and consequently further delaying my recovery. Also, I'm a lot older now since my last surgeries.

From what you've written, it sounds like you are right on track. Because my arthroscopic knee surgery was just to clean up an area of my torn meniscus, PT was done at a facility attached to the gym I belong to.

Where I messed up was using the crutches. I was supposed to bear no weight on my leg at all. The same day as the surgery when we were home, my wife fell and was unable to right herself. -Couldn't just leave her laying there and could not manage to lift her up standing on one leg, so I decided to risk putting just enough weight on it to keep my balance as I lifted her upright. Because the area of removed meniscus was dime size the doctored hammered holes into the knee joint to make it bleed. Supposedly the blood helps form new meniscus like tissue. Not disturbing this process was the main reason for avoiding bearing any weight on that leg.

A kind of funny thing that happened was that when my wife fell, I was on the phone with our daughter who lived in El Paso on base at Fort Bliss where my son-in-law was stationed. She arrived at PDX the next morning without telling us she was flying up. She stayed a couple of weeks and she was a tremendous help, which is typical of her.

I couldn't get the 'rhythm right' to use the crutches effectively. I ended up with some nerve damage, which has taken several years to repair. Only recently, has the numbness in that leg and foot subsided. I do not have full range movement and its been over 5 years since the surgery.

dearth

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: 2019 Olympia - Congrats Brandon Curry... but Hadi was robbed
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2019, 08:13:24 PM »