Author Topic: the good old days.  (Read 17571 times)

pamith

• Getbig V
Re: the good old days.
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2019, 08:36:00 PM »
I don't remember

Svengoolie

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2019, 04:35:37 AM »
Good you remember the ice cream cones. Best not to think about scary stuff, like being abducted.

That was already beaten into my brain constantly by my mom, since it was the 80's. But you couldn't not think about him when you walked through the same toy aisles he did.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2019, 05:50:42 AM »
as far as stores go  hess's was the high end store and two guys was the low end store in the 50's 60's and 70's. two guys became a fitness america gym in the 80's which is now long gone.
F

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2019, 09:29:50 AM »
I worked at Two Guys one summer in the auto department in 1977.

$2.20/hr.

On my first day on the job a middle aged couple switched the price stickers on a set of car stereo speakers and I didn't catch it.

The department manager was cool about it.

Those were the days when every department had it's own cash register to check people out.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2019, 09:33:43 AM »
WES, Here are some KRESGES photos to enhance your memory ....

That store appeared to be very similar to Woolworth's.  Where was the one you mentioned above located?
[/quote
Thanks for the memories Funk...................c orner of Main and Worthington Streeets downtown Springfield Massachusettes.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2019, 09:37:11 AM »
We had:
Zayres
Two Guys
Bradlees
Lechmere
Ames
Woolworth
Western Auto
Kresges
Steigers
Forbes& Wallace
Topps

Cant remember anymore but I`m older than dirt.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2019, 09:57:22 AM »
JB Hunter
JM Fields
Edwards
Freddie's
Present Co.
Century
Neisner's/Big N

Retail is a brutal business.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2019, 10:28:28 AM »
as far as stores go  hess's was the high end store and two guys was the low end store in the 50's 60's and 70's. two guys became a fitness america gym in the 80's which is now long gone.

I met my future wife at Robinson's in Beverly Hills in 1962. We both worked there. She was the assistant manager in toys and I worked in display. We made arrangements for our first date in the employee lunchroom/cafeteria. Almost every penny she made, she spent at the store in woman's clothing, the jewelry dept. and the beauty salon. The few pennies I made, paid my rent $75 a month for a 1 bedroom court cottage a block off Sunset Strip in West Hollywood, transportation, groceries and bar bill. I might have made gross about $280 a month. I was 18 years old.

Robinson's was a highend store that paid a minimum wage salary.  :)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2019, 10:41:17 AM »
Following up on the previous post. On my wife's and my first date we went to the Wilshire Theater in Beverly Hills and saw Lawrence of Arabia with Peter O'Toole, Alex Guinness, Anthony Qiunn and new comer, Omar Shariff. After almost 4 hours watching a film that took place in the desert we were parched.  ;) It was the winner of seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture (1962).

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2019, 10:43:48 AM »
i started working in 1967 when i was 16 years old made a whopping 1.60 an hour. when i got paid on fridays i would drive to the boulevard drive-in [still in business] and buy 5 hamburgers for a buck and down them good times. this was when america was truly great.
F

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2019, 10:45:33 AM »
Following up on the previous post. On my wife's and my first date we went to the Wilshire Theater in Beverly Hills and saw Lawrence of Arabia with Peter O'Toole, Alex Guinness, Anthony Qiunn and new comer, Omar Shariff. After almost 4 hours watching a film that took place in the desert we were parched.  ;) It was the winner of seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture (1962).

one of the best films ever made

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2019, 10:56:44 AM »
i started working in 1967 when i was 16 years old made a whopping 1.60 an hour. when i got paid on fridays i would drive to the boulevard drive-in [still in business] and buy 5 hamburgers for a buck and down them good times. this was when america was truly great.

Why was America great? Not saying it wasn't....just interested in knowing your reasons for thinking this.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2019, 11:02:21 AM »
My wife and I were movie buffs back in the day. She and I actually attended the premier of Cleopatra at the Pantages Theater on Hollywood Blvd. in Hollywood, CA. We are somewhere in this crowd of people in the photo below. It was a wild experience.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2019, 11:57:59 AM »
Why was America great? Not saying it wasn't....just interested in knowing your reasons for thinking this.
                 everything seemed better, simpler times if you will. gas was 25 cents a gallon. you went to the movie theater or a concert and didn't wonder if you were going to get shot. cars  had personality. people seemed to care for each other more, there wasn't any internet and smartass phones.
F

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2019, 08:52:33 PM »
                 everything seemed better, simpler times if you will. gas was 25 cents a gallon. you went to the movie theater or a concert and didn't wonder if you were going to get shot. cars  had personality. people seemed to care for each other more, there wasn't any internet and smartass phones.

Good calls. Not sure about gas being cheaper though since with inflation it might actually be less expensive today....or not.

From 1960 through 1965 nominal gas prices bounced between 30 and 31 cents a gallon while the inflation adjusted price fell from $2.48 to $2.33. But then the nominal price of gas started to climb and by 1970 had increased 20% to 36 cents a gallon but on an inflation adjusted basis gas prices had actually fallen to $2.19. And by 1972 gas on an inflation adjusted basis was a real bargain at $2.04 a gallon. At this point OPEC felt they were being cheated as the value of the dollars they were receiving were becoming worth less and less. So they started squeezing prices, which drove nominal prices in 1981 up to $1.35 and inflation adjusted prices up to $3.51. Note that this price was higher than the price during 1934 and 38 but below the 1918 price.

From there nominal prices fell moderately over the next 17 years and inflation itself moderated falling from 13.5% in 1980 to 1.86% in 1986 and then increasing to 4.82% in 1989.  This resulted in drastically cheaper gas on an inflation adjusted basis with the lowest recorded inflation adjusted price for gas occurring in 1998 at $1.48 per gallon. In 1998, overall price inflation made it look like gasoline prices were rising, so most people didn’t realize that gas was actually cheap on a historical basis. But they knew it intuitively since a smaller portion of their budget was going toward gasoline. In fact, gas had gotten really cheap by historical standards allowing people to buy gas guzzlers like SUV’s and Hummers.

https://inflationdata.com/articles/inflation-adjusted-prices/inflation-adjusted-gasoline-prices/

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2019, 09:12:47 PM »

Uh, you were there...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2019, 11:47:14 PM »

Uh, you were there...

Yes I was...born in 1944. That's why I wonder why someone would think those times were so great. Yeah the economy was great....during the 1960s the United States experienced its longest uninterrupted period of economic expansion in history. While there were good things happening, not everything was positive. By the end of the 1960s, economic prosperity was being eroded by persistent inflation. The Sixties dominated by the Vietnam War, Civil Rights Protests, the 60s also saw the assassinations of US President John F Kennedy and Martin Luther King and the Cuban Missile Crisis.

In the 1970s, moves meant to prevent unemployment instead did the opposite, ... Yet these unusually bad economic times were preceded by a period in which ... Some actually thought that the great inflation was a good thing. As inflation accelerated and interest rates began to rise rapidly in the late 1970s, many S&Ls began to suffer extensive losses. The rates they had to pay to attract deposits rose sharply, but the amount they earned on long-term fixed-rate mortgages didn't change.

For many people in the United States, the late 1970s were a troubled and troubling time. The radical and countercultural movements of the 1960s and early 1970s, the Watergate scandal, the Vietnam War, uncertainty in the Middle East and economic crisis at home had undermined Americans' confidence in their fellow citizens and in their government.

Does any of this seem familiar? The populist conservative movement known as the New Right enjoyed unprecedented growth in the late 1970s and early 1980s. It appealed to a diverse assortment of Americans, including evangelical Christians; anti-tax crusaders; advocates of deregulation and smaller markets; advocates of a more powerful American presence abroad; disaffected white liberals; and defenders of an unrestricted free market.

In the early 1980s, the American economy was suffering through a deep recession. Business bankruptcies rose sharply compared to previous years. Farmers also suffered due to a decline in agricultural exports, falling crop prices, and rising interest rates. The 80's decade (group of ten years) is sometimes called the "Greed decade". The annual inflation rate remained under 5 percent from 1983 through 1987, which was a good thing. Federal deficits soared throughout the 1980s. The U.S. trade deficit hit a record that same year. A stock market crash in the autumn of 1987 led many to question the stability of the economy.

The U.S. economy dipped into recession in 1991, and then began a slow recovery in 1992. As a result of the poor economy and other factors, the federal budget deficit began heading upward again. The financial industry was particularly plagued with problems, with numerous savings institutions, as well as some banks and insurance companies, either collapsing or falling into such a shaky state that the federal government had to take them over.

Don't get me wrong, there were good times too. It seems in many cases the younger and more innocent of the world one is the better everything seems. Our memories and how they play out are interesting. Many people choose to remember positive experiences rather than negative ones. Sometimes, I think these people are the wise ones. Others argue that you have to be realistic about the past imperfect if you are to forge forward. So yeah, I sometimes am nostalgic about the good ol' days, but I also remember the not so good ol' days too.

Good Ol' Days
The Script

Up in the bar all smoking cigars
While we were drinking Irish whiskey straight from the jar
Talkin' 'bout them better days are not that far
Whoever's coming back to mine you better bring the guitar
You play a sad song, yea sing it from the heart
Tell a sad story, yea tell it from the start
Pass me on the pain that you made into art
Yeah, pierce it through my skin like a heroin dart

When
Someone strummin' on the strings and they're spittin' things
Everybody's movin' groovin' vibes when the other sings
They gon' kill you with the passion and the soul
When the first verse drops, you be fighting back the tears and all
While another man's crying in his beers and all
While his woman is sayin' cheers to it all
Ain't no shame in the game, just the way we were…

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2019, 01:21:58 AM »
JB Hunter
JM Fields
Edwards
Freddie's
Present Co.
Century
Neisner's/Big N

Retail is a brutal business.

We had JM Fields too...........never would have remembred that without your post.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2019, 06:13:21 AM »
We had JM Fields too...........never would have remembred that without your post.

I remember buying a fishing rod there.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2019, 06:30:13 AM »

Stuckey's...

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2019, 06:32:52 AM »
one of my favorite  rides from back in the day. circa 1973.
F

herne

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2019, 06:35:57 AM »

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2019, 06:44:33 AM »

"And stay outta the Woolsworth!"

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2019, 08:23:27 AM »
one of my favorite  rides from back in the day. circa 1973.

Funk,

We must be related.  I had a blue 76 Cutlass Supreme.  350 4-barrel carb.

Got totaled unfortunately.

Like this but sky blue...

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2019, 08:49:13 AM »
SCOTT, I kinda think I recall one or two STUCKEY's  situated off the highway and located between Barstow and the California/Nevada line on the way to Vegas.

If I recall right they sold candy as their main product.

In fact today there is still  the skelital remains of an old Stuckey's in the desert along side Highway 15 which looks something like this..