Author Topic: Japanese Whisky  (Read 9174 times)

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
Re: Japanese Whisky
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2020, 03:07:11 AM »
Lots of xfactor protégés in this thread

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2020, 10:14:11 AM »
Lots of xfactor protégés in this thread

We are all MUCH more wealthy and better looking.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2020, 08:09:43 AM »
PS - treat yourself to the Harmony. Well well worth it. Way better and smoother than the Yamazaki - wonderful warm deep rich charcoal caramel scotch flavor. Any time of year its good but especially evening on a cold winter.

A $1200+ bottle like the 17 is simply never going to happen for a gyprocker like me so don't let me kick your tyres on things at that level. And like amazing wines, it would be wasted on a beginner like me.

The Harmony is really up there $wise for me but I can't write off all Jap whisky on the basis of one Yamazaki. Money circumstances permitting, it'll be my first port of call upon my return to the Nipponese. Like the man said, "Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast."

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2020, 08:25:27 AM »
Nice to see some whisky talk on here. (You don't call it Scotch in Scotland). If you like the Ardbeg 10, try Ardbeg Uigeadail of you ever get the opportunity. It's a delight. Whereas Laphraoig is generally too medicinal, Ardbeg always hits the spot. Caol Isla and Bunnahabhain are other Islay whiskies you might enjoy.

As for Japanese whisky- it's well made and stays true to the traditions of Scottish whisky making, no surprise given the story of Japan's whisky industry. I've tried a few and a bottle of Suntory in my collection at the moment.

Looking forward to some nice whisky and a cigar or two over the Christmas season, I've got plenty nice ones to choose from. Eagerly awaiting opening a bottle of Glenfarclas 21 year old.

Thanks m8, I'll be sure to check these out. The Bunnahabhain and Caol 12s look to be in my price range.

I'm definitely intrigued by the Ardbeg 10 and intend to see what else they're producing. Likely won't take me too long.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2020, 09:19:01 AM »
Warning: My own interpretation often differs from experts online!

LAGAVULIN 16

This was, and remains, my benchmark for Islay. A minute in the glass gives me honey, oak, white peach, and touch of raspberry smells. The honey and oak comes through in flavor immediately, along with a strong sherry, quickly followed by the smoke. Hot on the heels of that is a medicinal undertone (which I guess is what reviewers mean when they say iodine, but I have never sipped iodine for fun or therapeutic effect, so idk). This melds with the smokiness and the Spanish sweetness, and all 3 of them resolve into a sweet oaky smokey (no muskogee) pretty quickly.

It's a fast ride compared to my last tasting of the Ardberg 10 which really stayed on the tongue and presented bolder flavors which I remember as more discretely defined or partitioned from one another, but its rapidity is exhilarating and challenges me to keep up, like that chick who was part jackrabbit. But unlike her its balance is amazing. Just when one thing grabs my attention, another says Psst, over here. And then another one is all "Hello, Sailor!" Mmm, and they vy for my attention.

So TLDR I say "Hello, Angels." And they smile and say, in perfect unison, "Hiiiii, Charlie!" I like that.

Thjs remains my recommendation for someone who wants to spring for a bottle of the good stuff. Downside: You won't be able to enjoy your usual stuff as much after comparing. Red pill caveats apply.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2020, 10:58:45 AM »

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2020, 12:06:46 PM »
To some people yes, it's a status symbol like driving a BMW.

But not to everyone. I don't know anyone with an actual wine cellar.

But yes, some people try to prove a point with their expensive scotch and cigar.

Wot u mean?
T

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2020, 07:23:47 AM »
Every bottle I purchase or own is for my friends,family, and own personal consumption.
Re-selling is what is killing the bourbon prices for the regular consumer.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2020, 08:11:15 AM »
Every bottle I purchase or own is for my friends,family, and own personal consumption.
Re-selling is what is killing the bourbon prices for the regular consumer.

Sup bro. Do you mean some giant conglomerate buys up entire batches just so they can mark up and resell? Wouldn't it just drive people off to other brands?

Give us some bourbon recommendations. I'd welcome some peated ones to offset the bourbon sugariness. A quick google turned up Westland, Andalusia (wood smoked, not peat), New Riff, and Brooklyn Kings County.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2020, 08:32:48 AM »
Sup bro. Do you mean some giant conglomerate buys up entire batches just so they can mark up and resell? Wouldn't it just drive people off to other brands?

Give us some bourbon recommendations. I'd welcome some peated ones to offset the bourbon sugariness. A quick google turned up Westland, Andalusia (wood smoked, not peat), New Riff, and Brooklyn Kings County.

No, it's people hoarding to sell on secondary market.

I used to buy Eagle Rare 17 for $36.  It was near perfect.  Now, it comes out once a year, gets bought up instantly, and hits the secondary market for $800+

Same with all types of Pappy - goes for 2k and up.

Peated bourbon?  Not really something I look for.
Y

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2020, 08:44:29 AM »
Markup of madness. Sorry ebay retards hijacked your drink, man.

I'm all about the smoke these days. Doubt I'll find it but Andalusia Stryker sounds pretty wild. Might make a mean rib marinade too.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2020, 10:20:42 AM »
Markup of madness. Sorry ebay retards hijacked your drink, man.

I'm all about the smoke these days. Doubt I'll find it but Andalusia Stryker sounds pretty wild. Might make a mean rib marinade too.

Just looked that up - closest bottle appears to be in Texas, lol.
Y

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2020, 12:18:18 PM »

Might be my favorite GB photo. Lol. The black dildo is essential.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2020, 09:28:43 PM »

I've never tried peated, I've had rum and wine finish which if you find the right ones are good.
John J Bowman port barrel finish and their single barrel are both really good bourbons and not that hard for me to get.

...they are actually made by Buffalo Trace then shipped to Virginia then stored in their own rickhouses.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2020, 09:44:44 PM »

I've never tried peated, I've had rum and wine finish which if you find the right ones are good.
John J Bowman port barrel finish and their single barrel are both really good bourbons and not that hard for me to get.

...they are actually made by Buffalo Trace then shipped to Virginia then stored in their own rickhouses.
Bet You can't hit a softball farther than me. Golf ball? For sure. I can't drive it off of the tee. Remember, chicks dig the long ball.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2020, 03:06:03 AM »
Might be my favorite GB photo. Lol. The black dildo is essential.

Much appreciated  :)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2020, 04:30:32 AM »

Give us some bourbon recommendations.

Getbiggers can afford the most rare and expensive spirits but don't necessarily buy them.

They seek value for their dollars.

For example, the Budweiser of Bourbons...

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2020, 12:23:23 PM »
Getbiggers can afford the most rare and expensive spirits but don't necessarily buy them.

Elijah Graig or 1792 for me are solid bourbons at good price point and readily avalabile.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2020, 03:29:57 PM »

Elijah Graig or 1792 for me are solid bourbons at good price point and readily avalabile.

I'd say Buffalo Trace is best under $30.

There's a ton of good ones in the 30-50 range.
Y

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2020, 05:38:36 PM »
The good stuff😉

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2020, 07:32:58 PM »
I did a tasting at the house last month.  Preference is certainly personal but this was the result of the unofficial taste comparison. Woodford was just a bit better than 4 Roses. Elijah and 1792 were ok but underwhelming. Basil Hayden's I just didn't care for.

#1 Woodford Reserve
#2 4 Roses Single Barrell
#3 Elijah Craig Small Batch
#4 1792
#5 Basil Haydens

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2020, 07:54:55 PM »
I did a tasting at the house last month.  Preference is certainly personal but this was the result of the unofficial taste comparison. Woodford was just a bit better than 4 Roses. Elijah and 1792 were ok but underwhelming. Basil Hayden's I just didn't care for.

#1 Woodford Reserve
#2 4 Roses Single Barrell
#3 Elijah Craig Small Batch
#4 1792
#5 Basil Haydens

I work part time at a liquor store. We sell lots of Woodford and Basil Hayden. The other 3 as well but not as much as those two.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2020, 08:02:07 PM »

My favorite bargain bottle is the BIB OGD. Hi test and good flavor on the cheap. Bottled in Bond is a throwback step up and is offered on many mid grade brands.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2020, 04:40:02 AM »

My favorite bargain bottle is the BIB OGD. Hi test and good flavor on the cheap. Bottled in Bond is a throwback step up and is offered on many mid grade brands.

The liquors stores in my area don't carry that but if they did I'd get some.

bLuEeYes

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2020, 06:01:00 AM »
Japanese whisky is so expensive here and didn't try it yet. Not that I don't have the money but I don't see why I'll buy an expensive japanese bottle before going through most scotch single malts and bourbons and so on.

Here's some whisky I like and are worth their prices. I'll add Glenfiddich 12 and 15 to these. Good thing here is we can get real cubans without any problems