Author Topic: MIKE MENTZER: MR. NORTH AMERICA 1977  (Read 11952 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • “Always do what you are afraid to do.” - Emerson
Re: MIKE MENTZER: MR. NORTH AMERICA 1977
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2022, 03:57:45 AM »
Arnold is Numero Uno.

As stated above, one in a billion.

It's unlikely there will ever be another Arnold.  It goes beyond just bodybuilding.

On top of his amazing reaction to drugs, he is a classic sociopath.

Mentzer was emotionally fragile. 

Mentzer was hyped as the next big thing by the mags, key word "hyped".

Comparing Arnold to Mentzer is like comparing a Hall of Fame player to a 2nd stringer.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2022, 04:14:40 AM »
Where’s Mike now? I haven’t seen him in the magazine lately

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2022, 06:21:56 AM »
Where’s Mike now? I haven’t seen him in the magazine lately

Changed his identity and now living in Dubai, India.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2022, 08:36:03 AM »
Just watched a vid the other day.  Some low level  bodybuilder / drug dealer who used to live and train with mentzer in the late 80's claims Mike was gay. Said Mike loved meth and hated training but continued to train people to afford his drug habbit. Larry something or other. Seemed like a sleazy dude, talks about going to prison, but apparently was Mikes roommate when mike was about at his lowest. Was paying mikes rent and chauffeuring him around so that Mike would train him.

Funny how some people revere Mentzer almost like he was mythological. Then others....not so much.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2022, 09:35:26 AM »
Mentzer was an amphetamine addict is a fact.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2022, 10:23:37 AM »

Sad

Titus Pullo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2022, 12:18:13 PM »
Warning, guys...this will be a long post.  Skip if you have a low attention span ;)

Just watched a vid the other day.  Some low level  bodybuilder / drug dealer who used to live and train with mentzer in the late 80's claims Mike was gay. Said Mike loved meth and hated training but continued to train people to afford his drug habbit. Larry something or other. Seemed like a sleazy dude, talks about going to prison, but apparently was Mikes roommate when mike was about at his lowest. Was paying mikes rent and chauffeuring him around so that Mike would train him.

Funny how some people revere Mentzer almost like he was mythological. Then others....not so much.

Larry Pollock?

This is the interview:

The poor guy talking to Larry is dumber than a sack of doorknobs, but the things Pollock told him are interesting:

*The workouts he did with Mike were almost identical to the routine outlined in the '92 edition of _Heavy Duty_.  The primary difference was every work set was taken to positive failure, followed by forced reps until negative failure.  He said Mike transformed from skinny-fat to pro size within two or three months.  Choice of AAS?

I can't remember, and I'm not watching that whole shit show again...if I hear the dummy host say "Woooow!" one more time, I will stab myself into Sto'Vo'Kor.  However, I know Mike LOVED Deca.

*Yes, Mike wouldn't train unless amped up on amphetamines.  He basically admitted that himself in other articles.  Ell Darden said he never saw Mike train, or train hard (?), during the time Mike and Ray were in Jones' employ at Nautilus.

*The gay thing?  I don't know about all that.  He had girlfriends, and from what I'm told, they weren't just beards.  Maybe his meth habit twisted his mind such that he'd take it in the jaw for a fix?  I dunno, but I kind of doubt it. 

See, what a lot of people don't know about Mike is that he enjoyed trolling others about his mental state, possibly especially when high and/or drunk (he loved vodka).

For example, when I was in my mid to late teens, I'd followed his '92 HD routine to the letter.  I actually made great gains and won the teenage class of a local NPC show, the Tri-county, drug-free.  I wanted to step up to the open class and knew I would either have to up my training game or forget about the natural schtick.

The older bodybuilders at my gym, including an NPC state champ (name rhymes with Podney Launders), all told me no: stay natural, just keep training -- yadda yadda.

About that time, Mentzer was published in FLEX, writing about rest-pause training, static contractions and so forth.  I naively thought those "secrets" were my magic pill!

In my excitement, I called the phone number listed at the end of Mike's articles.

The first time he answered, he identified himself as "Wood Jones," and said he'd take a message for me.

The second time I called, he launched into this weird bit about "who created the 'heavenly bodies,'" namely, Arnold and Claudia Schiffer.  He went on to say Arthur Jones was God and had "turned a man into a whale" at Jones' Ocala facility.

He also asked me if I was "hung," whereupon I scoffed and asked him if he was queer.

He laughed and said, I quote, "No, but I am a little odd."

In fairness, I was trying to glean advice from him sans any cost to myself; he saw that and tried to run me off by acting weird.  Just the same, he said similarly weird shit to Lee Priest about "Art Jones is a god," and I've known a few other guys who said he'd do bizarre shit to extricate himself from conversations.

I had further conversations with him much later, talks in which he was lucid, no longer bitter about the '80 Olympia ("water under the bridge," he said) and, while he came to ridiculous conclusions about training, he himself wanted Marcus Reinhardt to train *him* for a comeback.

While that's both laughable and sad at the same time -- Mike, near death, thinking about training again -- it says something that he'd put such confidence in Marcus who, albeit a HIT guy, advocates plenty more work than Mike's latter day methods.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2022, 02:00:55 PM »
Warning, guys...this will be a long post.  Skip if you have a low attention span ;)

Larry Pollock?

This is the interview:

The poor guy talking to Larry is dumber than a sack of doorknobs, but the things Pollock told him are interesting:

*The workouts he did with Mike were almost identical to the routine outlined in the '92 edition of _Heavy Duty_.  The primary difference was every work set was taken to positive failure, followed by forced reps until negative failure.  He said Mike transformed from skinny-fat to pro size within two or three months.  Choice of AAS?

I can't remember, and I'm not watching that whole shit show again...if I hear the dummy host say "Woooow!" one more time, I will stab myself into Sto'Vo'Kor.  However, I know Mike LOVED Deca.

*Yes, Mike wouldn't train unless amped up on amphetamines.  He basically admitted that himself in other articles.  Ell Darden said he never saw Mike train, or train hard (?), during the time Mike and Ray were in Jones' employ at Nautilus.

*The gay thing?  I don't know about all that.  He had girlfriends, and from what I'm told, they weren't just beards.  Maybe his meth habit twisted his mind such that he'd take it in the jaw for a fix?  I dunno, but I kind of doubt it. 

See, what a lot of people don't know about Mike is that he enjoyed trolling others about his mental state, possibly especially when high and/or drunk (he loved vodka).

For example, when I was in my mid to late teens, I'd followed his '92 HD routine to the letter.  I actually made great gains and won the teenage class of a local NPC show, the Tri-county, drug-free.  I wanted to step up to the open class and knew I would either have to up my training game or forget about the natural schtick.

The older bodybuilders at my gym, including an NPC state champ (name rhymes with Podney Launders), all told me no: stay natural, just keep training -- yadda yadda.

About that time, Mentzer was published in FLEX, writing about rest-pause training, static contractions and so forth.  I naively thought those "secrets" were my magic pill!

In my excitement, I called the phone number listed at the end of Mike's articles.

The first time he answered, he identified himself as "Wood Jones," and said he'd take a message for me.

The second time I called, he launched into this weird bit about "who created the 'heavenly bodies,'" namely, Arnold and Claudia Schiffer.  He went on to say Arthur Jones was God and had "turned a man into a whale" at Jones' Ocala facility.

He also asked me if I was "hung," whereupon I scoffed and asked him if he was queer.

He laughed and said, I quote, "No, but I am a little odd."

In fairness, I was trying to glean advice from him sans any cost to myself; he saw that and tried to run me off by acting weird.  Just the same, he said similarly weird shit to Lee Priest about "Art Jones is a god," and I've known a few other guys who said he'd do bizarre shit to extricate himself from conversations.

I had further conversations with him much later, talks in which he was lucid, no longer bitter about the '80 Olympia ("water under the bridge," he said) and, while he came to ridiculous conclusions about training, he himself wanted Marcus Reinhardt to train *him* for a comeback.

While that's both laughable and sad at the same time -- Mike, near death, thinking about training again -- it says something that he'd put such confidence in Marcus who, albeit a HIT guy, advocates plenty more work than Mike's latter day methods.

Interesting. Neat story about calling Mike.

Thats the guy I was talking about. Larry Pollock. Different interview but same guy.

Rambone

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2022, 02:42:21 PM »
Did Mike suck cawk with high intensity?

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2022, 03:05:58 PM »
speaking of sex appeal

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2022, 03:13:05 PM »
I met Mentzer when I was about  eighteen or nineteen I think.....asked him how he trained and all he said was "I had the right parents".

I thought to myself what a weird dude as I had no idea at that time about genetics as far as bodybuilding was concerned.
speaking of genetics

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2022, 08:10:36 PM »

Larry Pollock?

This is the interview:

Just listened to this. Man, you aren't kidding that kid doing the interview sounds like a fucking retard.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2022, 09:10:02 AM »
Did Mike suck cawk with high intensity?

Yes he did

To failure

Total failure

With negatives and forced reps afterwards...

*shiver*
T

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2022, 10:25:28 AM »
Yes he did

To failure

Total failure

*shiver*

Those workouts sound very draining.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2022, 01:43:46 PM »
One of the biggest disappointments ever was when I first hit Gold's Venice in the late 80s and saw Mentzer.  Like, "Is that Mike Mentzer?"  He looked sloppy in body and dress.

I'm sure many others have a simlar tale.

Rambone

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2022, 02:48:25 PM »
Yes he did

To failure

Total failure

*shiver*
;D

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2022, 12:46:15 AM »
Wasn't he an alcoholic as well?

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2022, 01:03:05 PM »
Wasn't he an alcoholic as well?

Not so much. Definitely a crack head, chained smoked, ate bad food, stopped training due to laziness. A big time loser.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2022, 01:03:07 AM »
Not so much. Definitely a crack head, chained smoked, ate bad food, stopped training due to laziness. A big time loser.
But always talked about living a life led by reason and logic. ::)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2022, 05:08:12 AM »
They are polar opposite personality types. Mentzer was introspective and introverted. He had few friends and prefered having it that way. Only befriending select few. And he was more interested in ideas.

Arnold was a people person. Non-introspective I'd say really, but intelligent yes. Making many friends and connections along the way. Ego- and success driven. Strong drive in general. And ofcourse, incredible genetics for both body and looks. This combination took him a long way.

This is why Dorian also didn't like Arnold, he was more like Mentzer in his personality.

Arnold's soclal intelligence is incredible, Meztzer's was below average and that's the diff

Mentzer's general iq was very high, but there are 7 kinds of intelligence including musical and bodily (athletic abiltity)

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2022, 05:38:22 AM »
But always talked about living a life led by reason and logic. ::)

Yep. Mentzer talked the talk but could never walk the walk.

Let’sGoBrandon

• Getbig II
  • I think I shit myself?
« Reply #121 on: December 19, 2022, 06:52:07 AM »
Mike Mentzer was one of the most overrated bodybuilders of the last 40 years.

Titus Pullo

• Getbig IV
Re: MIKE MENTZER: MR. !NORTH AMERICA 1977
« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2022, 12:39:26 PM »

Oh, he drank a lot.  As I said, through my conversations with him, the dude loved vodka!

Crackhead, though?  Naw.  Speed freak, yes.  He admitted that he was hooked on amphetamines "to be productive," but was adamant that he never smoked meth (odd, since he chain-smoked filterless Camels). 

He might have been lying, but I don't think so.  He really believed that his "consolidation routine" was THE way for advanced bodybuilders to train.

He was way off course, but I dunno that I'd call him overrated as a bodybuilder.  Winning the Universe and tying for fourth place in a controversial Olympia is no bad resume (let's face it:  even a subpar Arnold was too much for the rest, but should Chris and Frank have beat Mike?  Probably not).

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2022, 01:54:10 PM »
Oh, he drank a lot.  As I said, through my conversations with him, the dude loved vodka!

Crackhead, though?  Naw.  Speed freak, yes.  He admitted that he was hooked on amphetamines "to be productive," but was adamant that he never smoked meth (odd, since he chain-smoked filterless Camels). 

He might have been lying, but I don't think so.  He really believed that his "consolidation routine" was THE way for advanced bodybuilders to train.

He was way off course, but I dunno that I'd call him overrated as a bodybuilder.  Winning the Universe and tying for fourth place in a controversial Olympia is no bad resume (let's face it:  even a subpar Arnold was too much for the rest, but should Chris and Frank have beat Mike?  Probably not).

Of course they should have beaten mentzer. He looked awful. The true fix of 1980 was mentzer placing 5th instead of placing a lot lower.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2022, 01:18:34 AM »
Of course they should have best mentzet. He looked awful. The true fix of 1980 was mentzer placing 5th instead of placing a lot lower.
Roger Walker definitely should have finished above Mentzer as well as everyone that did finish higher.