Author Topic: Honestly, how effective is karate?  (Read 4971 times)

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
Re: Honestly, how effective is karate?
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2022, 07:58:41 AM »
This must be lies.
It's impossible to hurt a bodybuilder

I thought that said Mike O'Hearn for a second, who has said he has trained Judo at a high level. I have no idea if that is true though.

Do you remember this Mike Quinn interview?:

T-Nation: When was the last time you really lost your temper or had any type of physical altercation?

MQ: It was last November. This asshole — who turned out to be a little juiced-up bodybuilder — thought my wife stole his parking spot at Home Depot and started threatening her. She was scared so she called me. I was twenty-five minutes away so I told her to block his car in so he couldn’t leave.

By the time I got there he'd gone into a GNC store that was next to Home Depot. I threw that piece of shit around like a rag doll. I put him through every display in there. But I’m 42 years old now. I tore a couple of ligaments in my shoulder tossing that dirtbag around.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=427287.0

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2022, 08:08:14 AM »
Anytime a grown man says they get into fights, I know they must not have much to lose.  Civil lawsuit and/or criminal charges terrify me.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2022, 08:09:46 AM »
I've mentioned a few times before that when I ran a gym, I took advantage of going to a few starter sessions for some of the martial arts skills - none for long enough to gain any actual skill, mind you ;D

But centuries ago when I was bouncing, if I was asked to work a new/different door, I was always most pleased to hear that we either had a boxer or two, or someone who was good at judo - they always seemed most effective people to have around when it kicked off.  I never got tired of seeing that surprised look on the drunk guys face when he's suddenly sitting on his ass a split second after pecking towards a judo guy ;D

Just my tuppence worth...
T

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2022, 08:10:56 AM »
Anytime a grown man says they get into fights, I know they must not have much to lose.  Civil lawsuit and/or criminal charges terrify me.

Absolutely agree.  Jocko Willink(sp?) had made a couple of good podcasts about the power of walking away, and I hear he's pretty tough ;D
T

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2022, 08:17:45 AM »
Absolutely agree.  Jocko Willink(sp?) had made a couple of good podcasts about the power of walking away, and I hear he's pretty tough ;D

my phrasing was a bit harsh maybe but the point stands ..

robcguns does well for himself last I checked my getbig.xls spreadsheet, I'm sure a lawyer would love to take him to the cleaners for the twink client who he beat up.  We're getbiggers! we have nothing left to prove.

and dont get me wrong, i love to fight.  winning a fight is better than sex, but in this age of constant surveillance and cameras everywhere its too risky

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2022, 08:18:47 AM »
To answer your question, very effective.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2022, 08:25:15 AM »
Any extra training in any discipline makes a huge difference in a fight against an average person.  You may see a boxer on TV with an average or even below average record. The boxer may even loose badly- blowout. But if you're just an average gym rat with no self defense/ martial arts/boxing/wrestling training and you step into the ring with the below average boxer you'd be shocked at the difference in skill and power. Within 30 seconds your average gym rat would be gasping for breath and bleeding from the nose and mouth.

Also hand punches and kicks look cool but a stand up street fight is anyone's match. Anyone stands a good chance of getting their clock cleaned. Even good street fighters tend to stand straight up and raise their head when throwing a punch and that is a recipe for disaster.

It isn't glamorous but a good wrestler with knowledge of a few choke holds and a little striking skill will win 9 times out of 10.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2022, 08:30:47 AM »
I've mentioned a few times before that when I ran a gym, I took advantage of going to a few starter sessions for some of the martial arts skills - none for long enough to gain any actual skill, mind you ;D

But centuries ago when I was bouncing, if I was asked to work a new/different door, I was always most pleased to hear that we either had a boxer or two, or someone who was good at judo - they always seemed most effective people to have around when it kicked off.  I never got tired of seeing that surprised look on the drunk guys face when he's suddenly sitting on his ass a split second after pecking towards a judo guy ;D

When I worked as a bouncer for bar and shag security between 2006-2008, I was always too nice to deal with ruffians [or whatever you call them in England - and what do you call England in England? England? Britain? Great Britain? The UK?].

I found literally close to 99% of people were fine, when you have 300 to 1,000+ coming through a bar [pub] through the course of the night, you're going to get 1-10 troublemakers, like clockwork, every time.

I'm nice until I'm not - and one time I really lost my mind at one guy who bit a bouncer while being expelled, who I let in through the back door I was watching, because he claimed to be working with the hot dog guy.

I was then told to go home for my mistake, and sought to redeem myself in the mind of my boss - and bouncer friend who was bitten. I sought to personally remove him myself while exiting the building myself, and while I commenced that, he stood his ground. I wasn't going to allow that in my pursuit for redemption, and bedlam pursued.

I threw that piece of s*** through  every liquor bottle stand there, and...jk.

I grabbed him to drag him out, he shoved me, and a local coke dealer who was friends with him grabbed him and removed him himself, and I went on my way...

At the time, I was strong enough to do that job...but I just didn't have the heart to do it, until people got me angry enough.

Ultimately, that's why I was placed to watch the door - I'd stand around and talk to women all night, and watch their drinks as they went to the bathroom. I was a pretty big hit just chatting with people, and I feel it was a good position for me.

Years later, a friend of mine who owns another bar and knows I lift, offered me a job at his bar, but at that time I really didn't want to. As it turns out, you by then needed something called a "Smart Serve" license to work as a bouncer in Canada [typical Canada - regulating everything], and that's what I used to end that discussion.

Is it really worth it to get beer bottles smashed in your face, or...get bitten, to be a bouncer?

I enjoyed the status it brought me with the ladies at the bar...but it was ultimately not for me.

I was also 195-lb at that time, and at least had some size to make the average John Q. Public drunkard think twice before starting anything:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CY13C1ZPW_K/

^ I could be that size again rather easily, but at 40, I'm literally a petrified hypochondriac now. Plus my weight class is u-80kg [179-lb, because they give you a 3-lb weight allowance for clothes], so I stick around there.

If contest season is cancelled AGAIN, I think I will go back to that size for the summer.

But again - being a bouncer was not for me.

Taffin - aren't you 6'4"? I think holding the size you had is much more suitable for the job. It's not that people don't take manlets seriously - they just take large men much more seriously!

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2022, 09:45:34 AM »
Matt

Why use Matthew Sea instead of Matthew C?
Q

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2022, 10:21:24 AM »
Any extra training in any discipline makes a huge difference in a fight against an average person.  You may see a boxer on TV with an average or even below average record. The boxer may even loose badly- blowout. But if you're just an average gym rat with no self defense/ martial arts/boxing/wrestling training and you step into the ring with the below average boxer you'd be shocked at the difference in skill and power. Within 30 seconds your average gym rat would be gasping for breath and bleeding from the nose and mouth.

Also hand punches and kicks look cool but a stand up street fight is anyone's match. Anyone stands a good chance of getting their clock cleaned. Even good street fighters tend to stand straight up and raise their head when throwing a punch and that is a recipe for disaster.

It isn't glamorous but a good wrestler with knowledge of a few choke holds and a little striking skill will win 9 times out of 10.

Exactly

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2022, 11:57:14 AM »

Boxers, wrestlers and Judoka are the toughest people. You can kill someone easily with a Judo throw.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2022, 12:35:15 PM »
Matt

Why use Matthew Sea instead of Matthew C?

Because some Thunder Bayers continually target my social media accounts for "racism", to the point that there are some people in city who literally report every single one of my posts, until my account eventually gets placed in 30-day suspensions in perpetuity.

As a result, I buy multiple burner phones [different IP addresses], and have multiple Facebook accounts at a time, that I rotate through on a separate IP address, while the other is banned.

I save posts in various folders, and I immediately get the new accounts going and growing through essential a cut and paste process. Since I am always at risk of a permanent suspension, I now save all my posts, videos, etc. I then use those archived posts to kickstart my continual stream of new social media accounts.

That way, I am therefore never off the platforms completely.

For example, here is my latest Facebook sock puppet account:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100072797851015

If the account is stable enough, I will change the name to Matt Canning, and keep it.

For now, I have two Matthew Sea/Cee accounts, but which ever account has the biggest reach is the one I will dominantly use - and attempt to behave the best on, so it doesn't get banned.

But it's hard when I have people reporting literally every single one of my posts, and also when anything counter-narrative about Covid is a punishable offense.

This all being said, Big Tech has finally gotten to the point where it has become mainstream media, and I am seeking alternative platforms like Rumble and Bitchute, and trying to get a foothold there.

Literally anything can get you banned on Big Tech these days.

I just got a 6-day ban on Twitter for calling someone a ****ing phaggot. Dumb phaggot.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." -- Joe Rogan
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2022, 12:42:52 PM »
Boxers, wrestlers and Judoka are the toughest people. You can kill someone easily with a Judo throw.

Boxing is useless because a skilled fighter will keep his chin down and can't be knocked out.

Wrestling is useless because a skilled fighter will choke out the wrestler who will not go to his back.

Judo is dumbed down jiu jitsu and useless as well against a real street fighter or jiu jitsu man.

Gracie jiu jitsu is useless because you will be kicked in the head in a street fight against multiple opponents and also be rolling around on concrete.

Bhanky says all these things are true and to carry a gun or threaten your attacker with legal action.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2022, 12:48:31 PM »
Boxing is useless because a skilled fighter will keep his chin down and can't be knocked out.

Wrestling is useless because a skilled fighter will choke out the wrestler who will not go to his back.

Judo is dumbed down jiu jitsu and useless as well against a real street fighter or jiu jitsu man.

Gracie jiu jitsu is useless because you will be kicked in the head in a street fight against multiple opponents and also be rolling around on concrete.

Bhanky says all these things are true and to carry a gun.

I don't need to carry a gun or a knife or any kind of weapon that shit is lame and for scarred pussies pretending to be soldiers. I am more than capable of defending myself and my family with my bare hands.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2022, 12:49:32 PM »
I don't need to carry a gun or a knife or any kind of weapon that shit is lame and for scarred pussies pretending to be soldiers. I am more than capable of defending myself and my family with my bare hands.

You'll break your hands, bro.  Then you can't train.

Seriously, congrats on winning Rookie of the Year.  I predicted this way back.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2022, 12:51:11 PM »
You'll break your hands, bro.  Then you can't train.

I am like Roberto Duran Hands of Stone

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2022, 12:52:23 PM »
I am like Roberto Duran hands of stone

Head of Stone for sure.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2022, 01:51:45 PM »

Bhanky says all these things are true and to carry a gun or threaten your attacker with legal action.
Go on Youtube and watch real street fights. Almost all of them are won by boxing. Threatening an attacker with legal action won't do you much good. Do you think that's going to stop a hardened criminal?

Judo is dumbed down for competition. If you drop someone on their head in a parking lot instead of on their back on a padded mat you will kill them.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2022, 02:01:22 PM »
What about krav maga?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2022, 02:02:45 PM »
What about krav maga?
It's Jewish. They knock you out and then go through your wallet.

bLuEeYes

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2022, 02:05:52 PM »

:D

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2022, 02:19:16 PM »

Lol but yeah Krav Maga is nonsense. Fighting techniques for multiple opponents gtfo if there are multiple opponents hit one and run you ain't beating half a dozen dudes. 2-3 at best if you actually know how to fight and it can't be avoided.

Once in a holding cell about 25 years ago I slammed one guy onto another then kicked his 3rd charging friend in the face. All 3 were done after that fight over and no one else had shit to say. But this was unavoidable. Meanwhile my buddy who was the guy they were talking shit about to begin with who was standing right there didn't move a fucking finger to help. Told me later he was scarred to get in trouble if he got caught fighting like ok so you are just going to watch me fight 3 guys who were fucking with you??? They really can tell who to mess with and who not to mess with very quickly my buddy didn't have his own back much less mine. Luckily I handled it for him.

bLuEeYes

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2022, 02:25:15 PM »
 ;D

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2022, 02:34:17 PM »
This man smashed up many black belts according to the Netflix documentary about him

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2022, 02:37:28 PM »
my phrasing was a bit harsh maybe but the point stands ..

robcguns does well for himself last I checked my getbig.xls spreadsheet, I'm sure a lawyer would love to take him to the cleaners for the twink client who he beat up.  We're getbiggers! we have nothing left to prove.

and dont get me wrong, i love to fight.  winning a fight is better than sex, but in this age of constant surveillance and cameras everywhere its too risky

I don’t look for it. It honestly usually finds me and I make sure I’m in the right be it on camera or witnesses but I’ve been to court multiple times years ago and got off 99% of the time as it was always me verse a few guys at a bar or something. I’m usually always out numbered and I don’t start it. But I get what your saying. I just have a hot temper sometimes and I can’t stand bullies so when people try shit I like to handle it. Much less now but I won’t usually shy away if an aggressor thinks their gonna make me bitch out. Also not the toughest guy around just not afraid of an ass beating. I just hate bullies and can’t stand when I see someone bullies so I will jump in. Also like Hankins said above protecting a friend is always a reason I used to have to fight and sometimes still do as some of my friends never grew up. I’ve been called to bars that I used to frequent 15-20 years ago at 12-1 am to come help and old friend out and I go cause I wouldn’t leave a friend hanging but that’s not that often. About 2-3 years ago I had to go help a friend at a bar and I waited for the cops and the chief showed up and shook my hand for knocking out the town trouble maker.