Author Topic: Do you include sissy squats in your routine?  (Read 1855 times)

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
Re: Do you include sissy squats in your routine?
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2024, 10:22:06 AM »
I just finished 8 sets of 15. (3 part movement) My vastus medialis and lateralis are on fire. I followed up with  3 sets of walking lunges and then 5 min. of jumping rope.

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2024, 11:53:09 AM »
I wrap a skinny band around the power-rack upright, and hold on.
I feel no stress in my knee's at all. Just focus on quad isolation. I see no danger in these (the way Im doing them at least)..

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2024, 01:00:44 PM »
I feel no stress in my knee's at all. Just focus on quad isolation. I see no danger in these (the way Im doing them at least)..

Yeah, I'm gonna buy a band for this. I like that too.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2024, 01:23:04 PM »

This is becoming an epidemic.
Y

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2024, 02:32:50 PM »
This is becoming an epidemic.

Look into it.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2024, 11:56:57 PM »
I used to do them years ago when I followed the routines in the Bob Paris books. They seemed to help my lower quads and outer sweep. The Gironda way of doing them is different. It's kinda like a sissy squat; when you go down as far as you can, you then turn it into a front squat and go down in a front squat and then back up in a front squat. Hard to explain and hard for me to do. Gironda called the transition to a front squat a "Burlesque Dancer's Bounce" or something. But I truly believe you'd get the same results from doing leg extensions than sissy's. I know I did. Extensions are vastly underrated.
Extensions are underrated because so many claimed they were worthless years ago. Studies have shown they are actually a very good exercise.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2024, 01:44:00 AM »
Extensions are underrated because so many claimed they were worthless years ago. Studies have shown they are actually a very good exercise.

Agree...nothing wrong with extensions. Gironda´s variation is weird.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2024, 04:13:17 AM »

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2024, 04:45:08 AM »

They definitely work the Quads very hard but i honestly think leg extensions are better for your average person.
Indeed Gironda also promoted a so called power leg extension leaning back on the raising of the weight. Why?
He wanted to hit the sartorius muscle.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2024, 06:50:57 AM »
Do them if you want, whatever,  it’s up to you. They’re nothing amazing or life changing. Just don’t think that you’re gonna spend months on end doing them and your legs will rival Tom Platz’s legs and people will be stopping you mid workout to ask leg training advice. Yeah maybe your legs will look a bit better than they used to. But they’re not the greatest thing since slice bread let’s relax a minute. Christ.
w

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2024, 07:26:10 AM »
Do them if you want, whatever,  it’s up to you. They’re nothing amazing or life changing. Just don’t think that you’re gonna spend months on end doing them and your legs will rival Tom Platz’s legs and people will be stopping you mid workout to ask leg training advice. Yeah maybe your legs will look a bit better than they used to. But they’re not the greatest thing since slice bread let’s relax a minute. Christ.
exactly

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2024, 08:09:29 AM »

I’m going to the gym shortly and will try these. This video is different than the one I just watched. The other method which is what I will try, the guy put blocks under his heels and leaned back to the point his body was 90 degrees to his shins and then back up. Sort of like a fixed leg extension or something. Either way, thanks Wiggs for bringing this to the board.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2024, 08:11:05 AM »

I’m going to the gym shortly and will try these. This video is different than the one I just watched. The other method which is what I will try, the guy put blocks under his heels and leaned back to the point his body was 90 degrees to his shins and then back up. Sort of like a fixed leg extension or something. Either way, thanks Wiggs for bringing this to the board.

Report back on it.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2024, 01:14:31 PM »
Report back on it.

Did it as my second exercise. Squats first, then the sissy squats. It’s crazy because the first 3-5 reps of each of the four sets of sissy squats I did were easy, then the burnout quickly happened. I’ll be implementing these in my routine from here on out.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2024, 09:27:48 PM »
I don't do sissy squats. The angle actually seems to be hell on the knee. Maybe I am doing them wrong.

I do front squats and hack squats. Adopted from a Jeff King routine. My quads are growing and Im in my 50's.  But if I stall out, I might try sissy squats again.

Causes huge amount of stress on the cartilage under the kneecap, similar to leg extensions. 

All the force is directly going on a small area of cartilage.

With squats or leg press, the weight is at least distributed across other parts of the body.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2024, 03:18:22 AM »

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2024, 12:18:41 AM »
&list=WL&index=90

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2024, 12:48:22 AM »
Yeah, I'm gonna buy a band for this. I like that too.
You can also just use a towel for balance issues instead of a band......either way,great fix for any lack of balance problems.

Milton my man,you`ve get me thinking about throwing these bad boys back in on leg day......it`s been eons since I`ve done them.....I`ll probably use one or two sets as a finisher/widowmaker/final blowout pump type of thing......thanks!!  ;)

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2024, 08:21:48 AM »
Can KneesOverToesGuy just go away FOREVER? Enough of him. If he’s so amazing, why is he not the leading trainer for all pro players in the NFL or NHL? He preaches insane advice that can easily destroy your knees if you don’t know what you’re doing. He’s a typical influencer. Get him out of here. Just go away. Far away!
w

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2024, 11:31:29 AM »
Can KneesOverToesGuy just go away FOREVER? Enough of him. If he’s so amazing, why is he not the leading trainer for all pro players in the NFL or NHL? He preaches insane advice that can easily destroy your knees if you don’t know what you’re doing. He’s a typical influencer. Get him out of here. Just go away. Far away!

That said, I did actually built a slant board on his suggestion and have found it beneficial for warmup squats, calf stretches and the like.

However, I refuse to succumb to the peer pressure like other weak minded gettbiggers have and staunchly refuse to add "sissy squats"  ::) to my repertoire
Y

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2024, 01:28:27 PM »

Hater!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2024, 06:15:33 AM »
That said, I did actually built a slant board on his suggestion and have found it beneficial for warmup squats, calf stretches and the like.

However, I refuse to succumb to the peer pressure like other weak minded gettbiggers have and staunchly refuse to add "sissy squats"  ::) to my repertoire
The question is will Sissy squats give you other development than say leg extensions or even "Gironda power extensions" ?

Sissy squats are from a leverage point of view very efficient but would the muscles be trained better than using the above examples?

https://www.whowasvincegironda.com/sissy-squat.html

Basically Gironda wanted to target the Sartorious which i believe will be worked in a leaning back leg extension

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2024, 06:31:55 AM »
The question is will Sissy squats give you other development than say leg extensions or even "Gironda power extensions" ?

Sissy squats are from a leverage point of view very efficient but would the muscles be trained better than using the above examples?

https://www.whowasvincegironda.com/sissy-squat.html

Basically Gironda wanted to target the Sartorious which i believe will be worked in a leaning back leg extension

I might change training if I wanted size.

But right now none of that fits in with my goals.
Y

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2024, 06:39:55 AM »
I might change training if I wanted size.

But right now none of that fits in with my goals.
each to their own, i was just making a comparison between the two exercises. :)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2024, 07:03:29 AM »
each to their own, i was just making a comparison between the two exercises. :)

All good.
Y