Author Topic: pullovers or dips  (Read 21636 times)

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
pullovers or dips
« on: May 27, 2006, 06:52:44 PM »
what do you guys think works the chest better, i have a real hard time choosing between the two. do you think pullovers or dips hits the chest more.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
Re: pullovers or dips
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 07:04:04 PM »
neither
d[-_-]b actin all cool

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 07:21:37 PM »
i like pullover. you can alt. them from week to week

BallzDeep69

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 11:07:54 PM »
Neither.

But Pullovers hit the inner pecs if done right.

Dips for me are all triceps.  No matter how far foward I lean or the grip width.

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 01:55:17 AM »
They are both very effective chest exercises. Most people go way too light and don't use a full range of motion on dips.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 07:46:07 AM »
Dips are a  mass builder for the pecs. Bent are pullovers will hit the pec's very well also. Actually both these movement are prime upper body builders. Why not treat yourself and do both exercises in the same workout? Would not that be fun? Good Luck.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 08:17:40 AM »
Dips done properly will hit the pecs-elbows flared out, leaning forward & using something of a fly motion. They require ample warmup though, and for some will cause shoulder probs.

Pullovers are one of the very-best lat & serratus exercises there is.

Supersetting dips & pullovers is a classic chest-lat combo.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 01:41:42 PM »
They are both very effective chest exercises. Most people go way too light and don't use a full range of motion on dips.

snap!

people never go low enough. go a bit below parallel and u feel it. lke doing bench pres with half ROM of course gonna hit tris

BallzDeep69

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 02:22:07 PM »
LOL...  I've tried the elbows flared, wide grip leaning foward, going so low that my chest is fully stretched, and doing slow reps with heavy weight but it still doesn't hit my chest good enough for me to warrant it a chest exercise.  For myself that is.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 02:53:41 PM »
I've tried the elbows flared, wide grip leaning foward, going so low that my chest is fully stretched, and doing slow reps with heavy weight but it still doesn't hit my chest good enough
It's over-hyped, for some who find it next to useless. Decline flys and dumbbell presses are great alternatives.

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 09:51:28 PM »
ok another chest ?. dumbbells or barbell. what do you feel hits chest better. i say dumbbell i get a deeper stretch and pump, but i can go heavier on barbell, i wonder if doing a few more reps with dumbbell is better than doing bb, since my gym stops at 120 pound db.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 10:41:03 PM »
I still do pull-overs at 32. I think they're great and just fill out my pump at the end of the work-out. I do dips now for tri's Some dip bars don't allow you to get the forward motion or stretch you need. I did em when i was younger and they really work.
L

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 02:44:58 AM »
Dips done properly will hit the pecs-elbows flared out, leaning forward & using something of a fly motion. They require ample warmup though, and for some will cause shoulder probs.

Pullovers are one of the very-best lat & serratus exercises there is.

Dips absolutely kill my shoulders...I have done bench dips with weight on my lap for triceps..but regular dips seem very awkward for me. I feel the pullovers more in the lats than the chest...maybe my form is bad or something,but I always have sore lats the next day.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 03:45:26 AM »
i do this superset once in awhile... always after chest day though.... get's a nice stretch at the end of the workout

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 07:14:08 AM »
Dips absolutely kill my shoulders...I have done bench dips with weight on my lap for triceps..but regular dips seem very awkward for me. I feel the pullovers more in the lats than the chest...maybe my form is bad or something,but I always have sore lats the next day.
Absolutely:

-Bench dips are better for tris than regular dips, with none of the shoulder stress.
-Decline flys & decline DB presses hit the same areas of the chest as dips without the shoulder stress.
-Pullovers is one of the only lat isolation exercises, and one of the best of all for lats. Chest I dont feel at all.

Chico_Holiday

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 01:04:07 PM »
neither

Careful!  Your youth and lack of training knowledge are starting to show. LOL!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 01:07:29 PM »
neither

IMO he's right, certainly for some at least those two may not be the best choices for chest, for different reasons. Dips just because they don't work that well for many, pullovers because the primary emphasis is actually on the lats & serratus.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 04:09:14 PM »
I actually do dips this way:

Chin on chest, legs are in a bent position, but way in front of me and elbows out. Tough to do with just body weight alone.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 05:12:24 PM »
I believe Old-Flip is doing the version of the Vince Gironda style of dipping. Vince also had a special way of doing pull-ups, bar touching the upper chest, shoulders drawn back,  amoung other things. If anyone has dipping handles that can turn and allow the knuckles to face forward, than that can be an effective way to do the exercise. Elbows are also held wide and the chin is tucked in due to the nature of the movement. In either case the stress is directed  to be more on the pecs, than the triceps, themselves. There is also the position where the hands are resting on the heel/palms facing forward ( somewhat akin to a position of a curl grip) when dipping. This has a strong influence on the triceps as well as the inner pecs.

For most trainee's the regular leaning forward dip style brings favorable results. The pecs, triceps and anterior/laterior delts are hit hard. A prime goal is to added weight to the movement as progress is gained. Adding 100-150lbs, over time, is not out of the question for the average trainee. There is no need for any ultimate stretch at the bottom of exercise. That's when a over-extention/stretch can enter a caution zone with regards to injury. For what's it's worth in my view, the dip (in whatever style) is a better pec & upper body mass builder than the BP. Can also couple this with the bent arm pullover as another execellent pec/chest and upper body movement. Good Luck.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 05:21:02 PM »
Both.  You don't have to chose one over the other.  Haven't done pullovers in years, but it's a great exercise.  Arnold believes it expands the rib cage by stretching the cartilage between your ribs.  Not sure I buy that, but still a great exercise. 

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 04:28:17 AM »
I love pullovers, i would never get into big discussion about how it does/doesnt expand ribcage, im 22, il let u no in 10 years if its helped. I do slight bent arem pullover and press. I feel it in lats,chest and arms, i also do dips aswell (more for triceps-though it hits chest to), i say dont choose one or teh other....do both.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 09:04:17 PM »
bitch shut up...dips are worthless unless done on a bench with plates on your lap when done for triceps.   and pullovers are a shitty chest developer, and add tons of width to your front lat spread when done correctly
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Bast175

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 09:30:58 PM »
bitch shut up...dips are worthless unless done on a bench with plates on your lap when done for triceps.  correctly

Bullshit.  Dips are good for chest and triceps, and doing them on a bench is stupid.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 09:42:09 PM »
bitch shut up...dips are worthless unless done on a bench with plates on your lap when done for triceps.   and pullovers are a shitty chest developer, and add tons of width to your front lat spread when done correctly
::) ::) ::)

Bullshit.  Dips are good for chest and triceps, and doing them on a bench is stupid.

It's obvious he has no clue what exercises are being discussed.
:

Bast175

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 09:55:36 PM »
Ronnie does dips, but what the hell does he know?