Author Topic: Matt Hughes Bench, Squat and Dead  (Read 18318 times)

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
Matt Hughes Bench, Squat and Dead
« on: July 21, 2006, 03:15:48 PM »
Hes supposed to be the strongest guy in the UFC lb for lb but his numbers arent that impressive at all IMO. The way he was hyped as a strength mutant kinda makes me think that, whilst the numbers are good, hes waaaaaaaaaaay overhyped. OK so hes the strongest guy in the division, but thats as far as it goes

bench - 310, squat - 375, deadlift - 425
Scouser on Tour

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
Re: Matt Hughes Bench, Squat and Dead
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 04:31:13 PM »
With as much cardio/mma training he does those numbers seem pretty good acutally for his weight.  GH + WINNY is all I got to say!  But don't take my word for it.   ;D

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 05:47:21 PM »
Good numbers for a welterweight.  Lifting strength doesn't necessarily translate to strength & conditioning needed in a fight.

an123

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 06:46:57 PM »
He is explosive though, try wrestling with him then saying his "numbers" aren't impressive.

TheBigAristotle

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 08:06:14 PM »
Just goes to show how numbers mean nothing

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 10:03:59 PM »
where did you get these numbers?

for his weight that isn't too bad and the way he looks that's about what I would expect

E
E

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 11:54:40 PM »
yeah theyre the numbers i would expect, im just saying he was so hyped i thought he would be benching over 400 and squatting 600. It was from an article on his website a while back
Scouser on Tour

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 02:06:56 AM »
your forgetting something edurance, like posted earlier, a guy in here the same size as tito could bench exactly the same Max, however, tito dropped the weight a little and could do 25 reps! same max power however that max power doesnt drop, same max punch in your face, same body slam, time and time again. get the picture?

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 08:14:04 AM »
yeah theyre the numbers i would expect, im just saying he was so hyped i thought he would be benching over 400 and squatting 600. It was from an article on his website a while back
those are TRUE numbers, which are decent, think about it this way how many guys do you see in the gym in a year who handle more than 315 on the bench? if you don't train at Gold's Venice or some powerlifting gym, not many, every guy on the internet claims to bench 405 plus but how often do you really see it? i read a claim on here recently where someone said Shamrock could bench 600, hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's one of the biggest lies i've ever heard, i'd give him 365-385 realistically.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 11:38:25 AM »
that was me, and i never said he could do it. All i said was i have been lead to believe he was able to bench over 600. His brother says hes never used more than 450 but he was repping with it
Scouser on Tour

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 01:28:47 PM »
that was me, and i never said he could do it. All i said was i have been lead to believe he was able to bench over 600. His brother says hes never used more than 450 but he was repping with it
bullshit, if you believe that i've got some oceanfront property in Arizona i'd like you to look at.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

torquemada

• Getbig IV
  • Billycarp ruled...
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 03:46:07 PM »
For a guy his size (190ish reg. weight), those are very good #'s, esp. when you think about how much cardio and crosstraining he does.  If he trained just for strength, he'd be much stronger...

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 07:55:53 PM »
For a guy his size (190ish reg. weight), those are very good #'s, esp. when you think about how much cardio and crosstraining he does.  If he trained just for strength, he'd be much stronger...
totally agreed and i don't think he's even 190 isn't he in the high 170's? if so that makes it all the more impressive.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 08:50:26 PM »
when are you guys going to realize the importance about skill and endurance

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2006, 12:15:47 AM »
bullshit, if you believe that i've got some oceanfront property in Arizona i'd like you to look at.

i never said i believed it jackass, i said i was lead to believe he could do it. Either way he had a very impressive bench at his peak and the physique to go with it
Scouser on Tour

flowdan

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2006, 09:48:19 AM »
Hughes claims that he squats over 500 pounds  but can bench only 300 (not sure for how many reps). I believe he walks around 185-190 pounds when not getting ready for a fight.
stevie g

JKDMan

• Getbig IV
  • The G.O.A.T.
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 03:29:43 AM »
Hughes claims that he squats over 500 pounds  but can bench only 300 (not sure for how many reps). I believe he walks around 185-190 pounds when not getting ready for a fight.
This I can believe. Not that freakish though...it sounds like me, acutually.  :-\
Lee

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 05:35:14 AM »
wow for a welter?! damn! if he was a middle or light heavy i wouldn't be impressed at all...

:-\

jarhead

• Getbig III
  • First name Mister. Last name "T".
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 07:43:39 AM »
Good weight for a small guy.  Shamrock reports his numbers using hammer strength.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2006, 01:55:53 PM »
I bet liddel's numbers aren't any better

E
E

IronGame

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2006, 08:42:11 AM »
Hughes has functional strength. Which means he maintains his strength in all kinds of angles, and off balance positions.  Way more important than plate numbers.
white belt for life

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2006, 12:25:33 PM »
I bet liddel's numbers aren't any better

E

I bet there not even close!  Chuck hardly has the strength look that matt does.  I bet matt owns him as far as weight training for heavy poundages...

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 12:34:52 PM »
........................ ........................ ........................ ................
benching over 400 raw and squatting over 600????  Are you familiar with powerlifting, where guys train to do these lifts every week?  If so than you'll realize that some guys at his weight in the sport of powerlifting don't do those numbers.  This kid is an athlete, but not a powerlifter....What's good is that he has a considerable amount of pure strength with speed,agility, power, balance, flexability, etc...this is what makes him stand out.

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 10:28:47 AM »
Power thrills but speed kills ;)
P

scooter

• Getbig III
  • the fvckin priest deserved to die
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2006, 11:39:42 AM »
when I wrestled in high school we had 3 training partners. Me being the smallest I had 2 of my friends be my partner one of these guys wrestled 135 his freshman year and could bench 315lbs. you try wrestling with a small fast guy whou could bench that much as a freshman in high school. This guy was a beast never touched the juice or anything he was just genetacilly gifted. he was pound for pound the strongest guy in the school.