Author Topic: How many have benched 405?  (Read 9155 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: How many have benched 405?
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2006, 04:49:52 PM »
Thinking of setting 405 as a goal.

Curious how many on here have hit it, especially if you're not genetically gifted or use roids.

I know it's certainly possible, but wonder for those who don't have the genetics who have gotten to that level.

I've never trained as a powerlifter. Most I've benched is around 330, while training like a bodybuilder.

Coming off a lay-off after the birth of my daughter and need some kind of new goal. I figure I need two years to do it.

I did it last year, 13 month ago on Sept. 1 2005. at a bodyweight of 252 lbs. I don't consider myself any genetic  freak and there were no anabolics involved.

The way my training is going, I'lll be able to do that again at a lighter bodyweight, around 230.

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2006, 05:26:17 PM »
On American Choppers Paul Senor was videod doing 405 for reps, that guy has be almost 60 or so.  Its very possible, but it takes proper training and diet.  If you are worried about keeping a 6 pack, you will never reach it.  Eat plenty, and be careful not to injure yourself.  Shoulders seem to go pretty quick when form sucks at high weight.  I currently do 315 for 8 reps.  I recommend you focus your training on dumbells in both the incline and flat bench positions.  Do this for a month or so, then test your skill at regular bench.  Dumbells are better for your shoulders. 

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2006, 07:12:49 PM »
i just think some people are just natural bench pressers while others hafta work at it

if you want it bad enough you can get it...most people though aren't impressed with 400 unless you're in highschool or college...in the real world 500+ talks

most dedicated people that stick with a workout or benching program can hit it easily in a year depending on where they start...also it depends on how you train.  Do you train for strength or do you train for the "swimmer"look...*shrug*

I hit it first on a smith then two months later hit it on the regular ol' bench at 208lbs 

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2006, 06:12:41 AM »
a strict powerlifting protocol will advance your gains quickly...once you get the arch down and learn to tuck your elbows it is all uphill from there. just learning to bench properly alone can get you 50 pounds on your bench press in a matter of months...train for explosive strength.

8)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2006, 06:15:40 AM »
also some things that i've gone to preach about are training your shoulders and tri's to be big benchers too! it's not just your chest that's helping you out! doing large, heavy compound movements for shoulders like cleans and presses or heavy seated presses will help your gains much faster! your tri's end up doing most of the work the last half or so of the push...so train them to handle the big weights too! it all goes hand in hand!

like overload said..train for power and explosive strength! proper form pays dividends...you'll never make it that high if you dont' have it..something will give out before then..

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2006, 06:19:26 PM »
I've done it a few different times.  Years ago I used to train more like a powerlifter and was stronger then at 215 as apposed to now at 245.  Now I train totally different and have a better feel for the weight.  Honestly I could care less if I ever press that heavy again.  I have pretty much gotten away from the bench press after tearing my rotator.  Hopefully you can accomplish your goal.  Good luck!!

this is sound advice heed... injury is a biatch

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2006, 09:52:24 PM »
Screw 405 on the flat bench, I want it on the incline. If that ever happens it will be a fantastic day.

I remember reading a while back that Chris Cormier said that if you call yourself a bodybuilder and can't incline 405 then you're a bitch...so for the moment I guess "bitch" is my title 8)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2006, 10:14:23 PM »
lol

well that same bitch got what at the olympia? 

don't sweat it bro ;)

but yeah..405 on the incline would be SICK!

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2006, 10:17:37 PM »
405 on the incline would be incredable! i saw a guy pound out a set once, and seeing that in real life is so different than on a video. I was so fueled! Ar. Jr. you'll get that shit man!
bodybuildersreality.com

krazee

• Getbig III
  • It's all about the next shirt size....
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2006, 10:41:14 PM »
Got to agree it's impressive, but even more so for me was watching a guy put the 200 LBS dumbells up on incline press. I mean he kicked them up and pressed from standstill. That is my goal, I've put the 180's up for 6 reps and I was jacked for weeks.
Just spot me BITCH!!!

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2006, 06:49:47 AM »
What other exercises would you recommend to assist bench? for shoulder and Tris???
after a long time my Tris started to get strong, but i feel my shoulder are my weak point. The middle portion of the bench usually is the more difficult to me.
 Im doing seated barbell presses but the weight dont go up  :'(
 Any suggestions that you can give me? i already know that im not a 'bench guy' who will get some crazy numbers, but my bench suck big time (and i dont think i have a horrible chest...)
 thanks in advance!
!

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2006, 08:29:25 AM »
Might try getting in some power rack lifts. Heavy 3-4" lockouts get the body accustomed to handling much heavier weights. Can be a psychological boost when using 100lbs + over your regular BP. To test this point, after a few sets of heavy lockouts try doing a regular BP. You normal exercise weight  should feel lighter. Also in a power rack, set the pins about 4-6" above the chest.  BP the bar from a dead stop (at the chest level) until you hit the pins. Hold for a second and lower back down to the chest. Each rep is preformed from that dead stop position. No bouncing or rebounds. Trains the important starting muscles (sometimes  overlooked but very important)pushing off the chest.  Change the grip to closer, from time to time, in the power rack. Includes more triceps and anterior delts in BP action. Explore different grips from collar to collar, middle and close

Other moverment that can aid a bigger bench are the PBN (press behind neck) Military presses and dips (weighted). I would suggest lying tricep presses, if your elbows can handle it. Some guy's I've trained with use 300lb + for half reps in these (feel free to challenge me on that Sarcasm... anytime). Their benches are huge.

Those incline 400's that Cormier talks about are pretty much middle range, fast reps. Not full range, starting off the chest each rep, presses. Good Luck

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2006, 06:51:08 AM »
Might try getting in some power rack lifts. Heavy 3-4" lockouts get the body accustomed to handling much heavier weights. Can be a psychological boost when using 100lbs + over your regular BP. To test this point, after a few sets of heavy lockouts try doing a regular BP. You normal exercise weight  should feel lighter. Also in a power rack, set the pins about 4-6" above the chest.  BP the bar from a dead stop (at the chest level) until you hit the pins. Hold for a second and lower back down to the chest. Each rep is preformed from that dead stop position. No bouncing or rebounds. Trains the important starting muscles (sometimes  overlooked but very important)pushing off the chest.  Change the grip to closer, from time to time, in the power rack. Includes more triceps and anterior delts in BP action. Explore different grips from collar to collar, middle and close

Other moverment that can aid a bigger bench are the PBN (press behind neck) Military presses and dips (weighted). I would suggest lying tricep presses, if your elbows can handle it. Some guy's I've trained with use 300lb + for half reps in these (feel free to challenge me on that Sarcasm... anytime). Their benches are huge.

Those incline 400's that Cormier talks about are pretty much middle range, fast reps. Not full range, starting off the chest each rep, presses. Good Luck
another bullshit post.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2006, 08:20:39 AM »
don't listen to sarcasm...JPM's post was full of good shit too...

i'm thinking he just calls bullshit to get jpm going...or am i wrong sarcasm?

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2006, 08:29:27 AM »
don't listen to sarcasm...JPM's post was full of good shit too...

i'm thinking he just calls bullshit to get jpm going...or am i wrong sarcasm?
no, i'm just being honest, this clown makes claims that only a guy like Bill Kazmaier would make, it always amazes me how many huge strong guys are on the internet and you never see these "beasts" in real life, 205lb. curls for 7? 300lb. tricep extensions? hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can believe it if you want but i know better.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2006, 09:46:44 AM »
Must be a small world for sarcasm...i train with a power lifter who can curl 225 easily and do freeweight behind the neck presses with 315 for 8 reps all the way down past the ears. seen him do close grip bench with 405 for 6...his max RAW bench is 540 and he's hit 705 in a titan F6 single ply at 242 pounds.

another guy squats 635 for reps and is 48 years old...also 242 division.

Hope this helps...

8)

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2006, 11:30:02 AM »
I wonder what the female equiv of 405 would be...maybe two plates? Is that about right?
X

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2006, 12:43:41 PM »
Kara Bohigian BP'ed 430 @ 165lbs at a meet not long ago. There is a another lady lifter who has done well over 400+ in the BP. She was on the cover of PowerliftingUSA magazine a while back. Can't recall her name, something like Neilson or another Scandinavian sounding name. At the place I workout at we have one women lifter who can lockout over 400+ for higher reps from the top pin (3 or 4") position in regular sessions. She weights around 165-170lbs. Her best single is close to 340 or so. Like any good presser she has that natural genetic advantage.

If anyone trains with or is around PL'ers they would know what huge and unbelieveable weights they hoist up every workout.  That also goes for Olympic lifters. Most people who come to this site equate heavy weights with what most BB'ers use.  That can be misleading. A 205lb BB curls (and well above), for example, is cetainly not out of the question for PL'ers or people who train with serious intent. And most of them couldn't give a rats ass how big their arm's are. And to me, it's just the joy of lifting heavy. Good Luck.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2006, 04:39:34 PM »
Must be a small world for sarcasm...i train with a power lifter who can curl 225 easily and do freeweight behind the neck presses with 315 for 8 reps all the way down past the ears. seen him do close grip bench with 405 for 6...his max RAW bench is 540 and he's hit 705 in a titan F6 single ply at 242 pounds.

another guy squats 635 for reps and is 48 years old...also 242 division.

Hope this helps...

8)
you're lying, another bullshit post.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2006, 06:39:34 PM »
Kara Bohigian BP'ed 430 @ 165lbs at a meet not long ago. There is a another lady lifter who has done well over 400+ in the BP. She was on the cover of PowerliftingUSA magazine a while back. Can't recall her name, something like Neilson or another Scandinavian sounding name. At the place I workout at we have one women lifter who can lockout over 400+ for higher reps from the top pin (3 or 4") position in regular sessions. She weights around 165-170lbs. Her best single is close to 340 or so. Like any good presser she has that natural genetic advantage.

If anyone trains with or is around PL'ers they would know what huge and unbelieveable weights they hoist up every workout.  That also goes for Olympic lifters. Most people who come to this site equate heavy weights with what most BB'ers use.  That can be misleading. A 205lb BB curls (and well above), for example, is cetainly not out of the question for PL'ers or people who train with serious intent. And most of them couldn't give a rats ass how big their arm's are. And to me, it's just the joy of lifting heavy. Good Luck.

i have a new goal in life... yo bang a chick that can beanch 405... i don't care what she looks like... i just want to add her to the list

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2006, 09:04:42 PM »
lol someone's got a rape fantasy...

krazee

• Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2006, 12:13:04 AM »

i have a new goal in life... yo bang a chick that can beanch 405... i don't care what she looks like... i just want to add her to the list

Dude might want to bring another guy with you, I have a feeling if she can bench 405, she might just throw you trough the roof. At least 2 of you will have a better cahnce staying on her....
Just spot me BITCH!!!

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2006, 12:17:22 AM »
I did 365 for 4 the other day. I recently have started taking creatine for the first time in years. I weigh 183. I might try 405 today. Previous one rep best was 385 a few years back.
E

krazee

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2006, 01:29:47 AM »
405 at 183 lbs, that would be impressive...and all your going to take is creatine?
Just spot me BITCH!!!

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2006, 05:09:03 AM »
405 at 183 lbs, that would be impressive...and all your going to take is creatine?

yep. Couldn't even lock out 385 though. :-\ Just got back form the gym.
E