Author Topic: Prayer and Religion in Public Life  (Read 674964 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: Prayer and Religion in Public Life
« Reply #1000 on: May 18, 2024, 10:44:22 PM »
You have never said anything that offended me, so stop being dishonest.  Again. 

Saying you speak up about religion when “the far right” pushes their religious views in courts that affect you, completely contradicts the fact you are active on a public religious message board that has zero to do with the courts, government regulation, etc.  You’re here because for some strange reason you like to talk about things you don’t believe in.

And you’re not facing any kind of court or government-imposed oppression for being an atheist.  Nobody cares that you don’t believe in God or the Bible. 

The bumper sticker is so popular I’ve never heard of or seen it.  Lol  Regardless, it should say:  “Atheist:  Someone who has actually read and does not understand the Bible.”

nothing to comment on here...

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #1001 on: May 19, 2024, 12:05:48 PM »
I've read the bible and can discern it only because of the Holy Spirit that indwells me.  I've never been able to convert or convince or persuade a single atheist.  That's not my responsibility though.  My responsibility is to share the gospel and give reasons for the hope within me.   All I do is give those that have not made a choice a more complete perspective and the other side to the atheist rejection of God.  The Lord will draw those unto himself as he deems just, perfect and loving.

The other joke is the only person in the Catholic church mass carrying a bible is the protestant attending as a guest of a Catholic 😀

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #1002 on: May 20, 2024, 03:00:18 PM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1003 on: May 20, 2024, 03:03:53 PM »
I've read the bible and can discern it only because of the Holy Spirit that indwells me.  I've never been able to convert or convince or persuade a single atheist.  That's not my responsibility though.  My responsibility is to share the gospel and give reasons for the hope within me.   All I do is give those that have not made a choice a more complete perspective and the other side to the atheist rejection of God.  The Lord will draw those unto himself as he deems just, perfect and loving.

The other joke is the only person in the Catholic church mass carrying a bible is the protestant attending as a guest of a Catholic 😀

I think the overwhelming majority of attempts to convince people to adopt religious beliefs through arguments will likely fail.  I never try it.  Outside of this board, I only talk about my faith when someone asks about it.  The best way to influence people in real life is to demonstrate Christlike behavior. 

But atheists who like to read and quote the Bible and argue with Christians are typically knuckleheads.  lol

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #1004 on: May 21, 2024, 12:37:38 AM »
I think the overwhelming majority of attempts to convince people to adopt religious beliefs through arguments will likely fail.  I never try it.  Outside of this board, I only talk about my faith when someone asks about it.  The best way to influence people in real life is to demonstrate Christlike behavior. 

But atheists who like to read and quote the Bible and argue with Christians are typically knuckleheads.  lol
Just like politics.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1005 on: May 28, 2024, 06:13:50 PM »
Just like politics.

It's actually like almost everything.  If you think about it, people never really change their mind in the middle of an argument.  Human nature.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #1006 on: May 29, 2024, 12:14:26 AM »
It's actually like almost everything.  If you think about it, people never really change their mind in the middle of an argument.  Human nature.
True, it becomes you vs me and the actual original argument is just the backdrop.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1007 on: June 12, 2024, 11:44:56 AM »
Historic Vids
@historyinmemes
Celebrities thanking God and Jesus Christ
https://x.com/historyinmemes/status/1799989863023866137

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #1008 on: June 12, 2024, 08:29:46 PM »
This could have also been posted in some of the mental illness/wokeism threads.

School district rejected ‘white supremacist’ Thor mural for not being inclusive enough

The senior class at Mountain View High School in Vancouver, Wash. was excited about their senior gift: a mural of their unofficial mascot Thor. But just when they thought the project was green lit, students exclusively told “The Jason Rantz Show” on KTTH that the school district’s equity office was concerned because the mural represents white supremacy and wasn’t gender or racially inclusive enough.

https://mynorthwest.com/3962341/rantz-school-district-mascot-thor-mural-racist-white-supremacist/

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #1009 on: June 14, 2024, 12:10:27 AM »
Make Thor a black lesbian. :-[

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #1010 on: June 18, 2024, 06:05:55 PM »
Texas megachurch pastor Robert Morris resigns after "inappropriate sexual behavior" with 12-year-old

Robert Morris, the founder and senior pastor at Gateway Church in North Texas, resigned from his position on Tuesday after allegations of sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl in the 1980s recently came to light.

On Tuesday, the Board of Elders at Gateway Church, a multi-site megachurch based in Southlake, released a statement saying they accepted Morris' resignation and plan to conduct a thorough "review of the report of past abuse to ensure we have a complete understanding of the events."

Morris allegedly had a sexual relationship with a minor between 1982 and 1987, when he was a traveling Evangelist in his early 20s. On June 14, Cindy Clemishire, whose parents had befriended Morris, publicly accused the pastor of repeatedly molesting her during that period.

Morris founded the church's first location in Southlake in 2000. The evangelical church, one of the largest in the U.S., has grown to nine campuses in North Texas.

https://www.cbsnews.com/texas/news/robert-morris-resigns-texas-pastor-gateway-church/

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1011 on: June 18, 2024, 10:14:14 PM »
Texas megachurch pastor Robert Morris resigns after "inappropriate sexual behavior" with 12-year-old

Robert Morris, the founder and senior pastor at Gateway Church in North Texas, resigned from his position on Tuesday after allegations of sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl in the 1980s recently came to light.

On Tuesday, the Board of Elders at Gateway Church, a multi-site megachurch based in Southlake, released a statement saying they accepted Morris' resignation and plan to conduct a thorough "review of the report of past abuse to ensure we have a complete understanding of the events."

Morris allegedly had a sexual relationship with a minor between 1982 and 1987, when he was a traveling Evangelist in his early 20s. On June 14, Cindy Clemishire, whose parents had befriended Morris, publicly accused the pastor of repeatedly molesting her during that period.

Morris founded the church's first location in Southlake in 2000. The evangelical church, one of the largest in the U.S., has grown to nine campuses in North Texas.

https://www.cbsnews.com/texas/news/robert-morris-resigns-texas-pastor-gateway-church/

By the looks of him I'm surprised he wasn't diddling their son.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #1012 on: June 19, 2024, 12:09:58 AM »
:D I was thinking the same.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #1013 on: June 19, 2024, 11:59:09 AM »

He does have that soggy creepy look.

I wouldn't be surprised if these guys also hide several skeletons in their closet.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #1014 on: June 19, 2024, 01:06:00 PM »
Surely this will end up in court.

Louisiana law signed, first in US to require Ten Commandments in the classroom

Louisiana public schools will now be required to display the Ten Commandments in every classroom, following a new law signed on Wednesday by Republican Gov. Jeff Landry.

The first state to take such action, Louisiana's legislation mandates a poster-sized display of the religious rules in “large, easily readable font” for kindergarten classrooms up to state-funded universities starting in 2025.

"If you want to respect the rule of law you've got to start from the original law given, which was Moses," Landry said during the bill-signing ceremony.

The crowd applauded and one "amen" was heard while the governor spoke.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2024/06/19/ten-commandments-required-louisiana-classrooms-law/74150508007/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1015 on: June 19, 2024, 01:41:16 PM »

I don't know anything about this dude and I am not defending his reprehensible conduct.  I do question why this is an issue 37 years after the fact?   

That said, I have no problem with a lifetime banishment for people who abuse kids.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1016 on: June 19, 2024, 01:41:33 PM »

Louisiana public schools will now be required to display the Ten Commandments in every classroom, following a new law signed on Wednesday by Republican Gov. Jeff Landry.

The first state to take such action, Louisiana's legislation mandates a poster-sized display of the religious rules in “large, easily readable font” for kindergarten classrooms up to state-funded universities starting in 2025.

"If you want to respect the rule of law you've got to start from the original law given, which was Moses," Landry said during the bill-signing ceremony.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2024/06/19/ten-commandments-required-louisiana-classrooms-law/74150508007/

I don't agree with this.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #1017 on: June 19, 2024, 01:49:18 PM »
I don't know anything about this dude and I am not defending his reprehensible conduct.  I do question why this is an issue 37 years after the fact?   

That said, I have no problem with a lifetime banishment for people who abuse kids.

That is secondary. I say prison/execution first.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1018 on: June 19, 2024, 01:58:12 PM »
That is secondary. I say prison/execution first.

No argument from me.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #1019 on: June 20, 2024, 12:02:14 AM »

The 10 commandments are Old Testament or the lesser law. Why do Christians push for this stuff instead of New Testament "Love they neighbor as thyself?"

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #1020 on: June 21, 2024, 10:01:56 PM »

Yep read about this today.  Listened to Morris in the past and didn't like his theology...it more minor things but had no clue he would abuse a child.  Found out he's also had a history of cheating on his wife.  Real piece of work.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #1021 on: June 22, 2024, 12:45:54 AM »
Yep read about this today.  Listened to Morris in the past and didn't like his theology...it more minor things but had no clue he would abuse a child.  Found out he's also had a history of cheating on his wife.  Real piece of work.
A lot of those guys cheat with women in their congregation.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #1022 on: June 22, 2024, 07:41:01 AM »
A lot of those guys cheat with women in their congregation.
Unfortunately you aren't wrong. Some of these pastors become local/quasi celebrities and the temptation in their roles is enormous.  I don't have stats to back anything up but I can tell you that the church from my childhood had our former pastor retire (claims of adultery).  New pastor was appointed and then left after two-ish years due to confirmation of adultery with staff member.  My wife and I left that church as young marrieds and settled into our current church where there haven't even been whispers of inappropriate sexual behavior within the ranks of the pastoral group.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #1023 on: June 23, 2024, 12:01:41 AM »
Unfortunately you aren't wrong. Some of these pastors become local/quasi celebrities and the temptation in their roles is enormous.  I don't have stats to back anything up but I can tell you that the church from my childhood had our former pastor retire (claims of adultery).  New pastor was appointed and then left after two-ish years due to confirmation of adultery with staff member.  My wife and I left that church as young marrieds and settled into our current church where there haven't even been whispers of inappropriate sexual behavior within the ranks of the pastoral group.
Black churches have a huge problem with this.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1024 on: June 26, 2024, 07:05:18 PM »
Black churches have a huge problem with this.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!