Author Topic: Is this enough?  (Read 374 times)

Ashis12

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Is this enough?
« on: December 08, 2023, 02:07:27 AM »
Background history Trained poorly in early teen's and early 20s
Training past 1 year and half P/P/L 5 to 6 days
Diet been in check for 2 years I dropped close to 100lbs
Just turned 30 | 160lbs | 5'8 | In small surplus

Tired of 5 to 6 days P/P/L looking something to change up to a bit
I've 100% overtrained as of lately, I know full body x4 isn't optimal just wanting a change

I'm also opened to suggestions

Day 1 Recovery Day
3 Mile Running
Squats: 3×6-8
Bench Press: 3×6-8
Pull-Ups : 3×8-10
Shoulder Press: 3×8-10
Leg Curls: 3×8-10
Biceps Curls: 3×10-15
Face Pulls: 3×10-15

Day 2
3 Mile Running
Romanian Deadlift: 3×6-8
Seated Cable Rows: 3×6-8
Incline Dumbbell Press: 3×8-10
Leg Press or Split Squats: 3×10-12
Lateral Raises: 3×10-15
Triceps Pushdowns: 3×10-15
Standing Calf Raises: 4×6-10

Day 3 Recovery Day
2 Mile Running

Day 4
3 Mile Running
Squats: 3×6-8
Bench Press: 3×6-8
Lat Pull-Downs: 3×8-10
Shoulder Press: 3×8-10
Leg Curls: 3×8-10
Bicep Curls: 3×10-15
Face Pulls: 3×10-15

Day 5 Recovery Day
2 Mile Running

Day 6
3 Mile Running
Romanian Deadlift: 3×6-8
Seated Cable Rows: 3×6-8
Incline Dumbbell Press: 3×8-10
Leg Press or Split Squats: 3×10-12
Lateral Raises: 3×10-15
Triceps Pushdowns: 3×10-15
Standing Calf Raises: 4×6-10

Day7 Recovery Day
2 Mile Running

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Is this enough?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 05:45:36 AM »
I think the most important thing with training is to make it your own. Clarence Bass called it the Ownership principle.  Do what's right for you. Looking at your training and I think it's too much for your joints for longevity and recovery.  You are doing a hip dominate exercise between squats and deadlifts four times a week in addition to running. Lucky you are 30. You might see the signs of deterioration in your 40's of your joints. Then again you might not depending on the lottery we call genetics and luck. 

If you want to do the whole body route make it two to three times a week if you are doing all that running in addition. There are so many splits maybe training body parts one day a week is something to look into. There is so much over lap that you are never truly training a body part once a week. By over lap I mean when you are pushing the tricep is getting trained then you have a dedicated tricep day. Same with legs meaning they get trained again with a split on back day with something like deadlifts or power cleans. I could go through all body parts but you get the drift.

Maybe explore other splits like this one. Monday: chest. Tuesday: Back.  Wednesday :off lifting. Thursday :legs. Friday : delt and arms. The weekends are off lifting. Insert your running where ever you feel best. At least on three days you can just do a run on with no lifting. On Chest and delt/arm day are other good days to combine lifting and running too.

So many ways to skin a cat. You can also do something like Monday : Back and chest. Wednesday: legs and finish the lifting week with Friday : Delt and arms.  That will give you four no lifting days to run and a fifth if you do it on delt/arm day.

I struggle to find the best approach to combing lifting and running. Many guys that lift do no cardio or a joke of a cardio sessions. Guys that do a lot of running do a joke of a lifting session if they even lift. One thing for sure if you don't concentrate on one athletic activity you can be good but the master of none. Specificity rules our outcomes. 

Like you I'm 5'8". My best recent condition I weighed 164lbs. Now because of health issues I'm having trouble being in condition but I'm trying. I now weigh 174lbs and want to lose that ten pounds. I don't know if it's in the cards for me concerning my age and health problems. I will head out later today to a park near my house that has a one mile asphalt loop. Hope I get a slow 5 miles in today.

Good luck in your fitness journey. I'm still trying to figure it all out, lol.

Ashis12

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 05:54:02 AM »
I did think about 3 days in rotation A B A thrn B A B to cycle it
Also might cut running on training days t indoot cycling as a warm for 15 mins and then maybe just 1 to 2 running days. Open to suggestions.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 07:29:16 AM »
I did think about 3 days in rotation A B A thrn B A B to cycle it
Also might cut running on training days t indoot cycling as a warm for 15 mins and then maybe just 1 to 2 running days. Open to suggestions.

That rotation was come up with by Frank Calta a bodybuilder who won Mr. Florida. Mike Mentzer also used that rotation for the 1980 Olympia though he never credited Frank for the concept. I used that for almost a decade. It's a great way to train but I get mental if I miss a training day because in my neurotic mind it messes up the rotation. If you have success with running and enjoy it then keep it up. Personally I never had success with indoor biking. Just seems like a boring torture machine. When I go outdoors with a bike it is so enjoyable.  If you have no joint issues so far with running and lifting, keep it up. Just concerned with your future self.

Ashis12

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 08:14:47 AM »
That rotation was come up with by Frank Calta a bodybuilder who won Mr. Florida. Mike Mentzer also used that rotation for the 1980 Olympia though he never credited Frank for the concept. I used that for almost a decade. It's a great way to train but I get mental if I miss a training day because in my neurotic mind it messes up the rotation. If you have success with running and enjoy it then keep it up. Personally I never had success with indoor biking. Just seems like a boring torture machine. When I go outdoors with a bike it is so enjoyable.  If you have no joint issues so far with running and lifting, keep it up. Just concerned with your future self.

The time commitment isn't an issue for me. Did you make reasonable strength/muscle gains?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 08:40:14 AM »
The time commitment isn't an issue for me. Did you make reasonable strength/muscle gains?

It was the strongest I ever was but I was in my 20's. I was influenced by Mike Mentzer. Doing ABA then next week doing BAB is a great and underutilized method. Typed this out fast. Hope I didn't make mistakes or leave stuff out. Going for a run.

My A routine:

Leg extensions 2 x 15 super set with squats 2 x 8 then 1 x 1 to test strength.
Leg press  1 x 15
leg curl 2 x 12

Flat bench flies 2 x 10 super set with the bench press 2 x 6 then 1x1 to test strength
Incline barbell press 2 x 6

Tricep push down 2 x 8
Weighed dips 2 x 8

Standing calf 2 x 15
seated calf 2 x 15

ab and neck exercises

My B routine:

Pullover 2 x 10 super set with pull ups 2 x max (used the nautilus pull over when available)
Dumbbell lat row with a knee on the bench 2 x 10
Barbell row 2 x 10

Dumbbell delt lateral 2 x 10 super set with Press behind the neck 2 x 6
Rear dumbbell lateral raise 2 x 10

Barbell curls 2 x 8
concentration curls 2 x 10

Dead lift 6-4-2-1 after warm up
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 
Weighted back extensions 2 x 15

Used something like this for almost a decade. Made great gains. The big stupid mistake I did was the constant use of gain weight shakes. Make no mistake. Being lean always beats a perma bulker look even if your body is hidden under clothes because your lean. Let the fatsos look big in clothes. They know they look like crap on the beach.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2023, 07:59:15 AM »
2-3 days per week full body is plenty if you are natty.

(If you are using steroids then it's a different ballgame.)

I agree with OT that you are overdoing it a bit.

It's just not necessary to train as often as you do.

The running you do also affects your recovery.

You can't out-train a diet of too many calories if weight control is a concern.

Drop the carbs (sugars, grain products, fruit) down if weight control is a concern.