Author Topic: Gary Strydom - Coming back?  (Read 11330 times)

rufjunk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Gary Strydom - juicing for nothing?
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2006, 02:17:09 PM »
You are aware this is a BODYBUILDING board, right? 

Self appearance = Self worth is kinda the status quo.

And I think that's the problem.

Muscle ads cater to that. Like the skinny guy getting blown away while the big guy gets the girl. Crap like that.

Either way this is not a good thing.

I think it would be interesting to have a "bodybuilding" and a "philosophic" section of the message board. For those who associate self worth with apperance, they're just falling into a round-about cycle. You'll never be pleased 100% with apperance, therefore you'll always strive to keep looking better and you'll never be comfortable with yourself. That's why you have to change your thought processes. You have to change the inside as well as the outside. Just changing one without the other isn't changing at all, that shit is just temporary. It's like going on the zone diet and losing weight, than going back to eatting normally. The person never changed, their apperance did but their nutritonal intake remained the same, plus their confidence will probably be wrecked after that.

One thing I think that's humerous is the normal public is repulsed by some of the muscular physiques while most of us strive to be these massive monsters. We aren't catering to be accepted or to live up to other peoples expectations, we're just doing what we want and what makes us feel the best.

I think of it as being passionate about something, you just do it because you love it, there are more important things but when you accomplish what you need to, you move on an dominate in something else. You don't see Arnold still competing. He's the freaking governor. Same goes for Lou Ferrigno, he tried to be an actor, but at least he switched fields and tried to succeed in something else.

"If all you've learned from bodybuilding is more bodybuilding than you haven't learned a thing"

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2006, 02:26:12 PM »

As for Gary, look at the reaction he is getting from the ladies:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=2883914

Obviously he has that myspace set up for a reason.  I'm sure he loves getting those comments.

I'm surprised that Dr. Sean Freud doesn't think Gary's being juvenile . . .

He's on Myspace? Getting comments from 20-somethings?

Perhaps he's regressing? Hasn't really adjusted to "grown-up" life? 

. . . maybe someone should write a book. 

rufjunk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2006, 02:26:33 PM »
All I know is, is that if I were one of the top guys from the late 80's / early 90's and I was scanning over the field of competitors today, I wouldn't hesitate jumping back in the mix and claiming my piece of the pie.

That's a good point.

But is he competing?

I think it's a difference scenario.

This is sorta funny to think about but when's the last time you saw Ronnie Coleman post pictures of himself on a beach?

Competing is a great thing man. I hope he dominates. He deserves to dominate after the many years of training he's gone through. I hope he focues 100% on his competition goals and succeeds. There's no point in half assing it. If this is the avenue he wants to take, so be it, I think it would be interesting for him to shut off all distractions and just come back and own in the professional field. After that I hope he dominates in soemthing else too. What's the point in not being the best in something and just constantly training over such a long haul, isn't it better to just devote 100% of your attention to your goals, succeed, and then make new ones and do that?

Why the lay off? Why now? What's the goals? etc?

rufjunk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2006, 02:29:17 PM »
Not to go on a big rant but changing my appearance absolutely changed the things I was lacking on the inside - or thought I was lacking at least.  The reality is that the world is shallow.  Girls would never give me the time of day before I started weight training, and now that is a non issue in my life.

There are TONS of studies out there which show that being taller, more attractive, more built, etc, brings you more success in life.  You could be the most confident person in the world but if you are short and skinny or fat, ugly, etc, you will be discriminated against.  Who is to say I was "lacking" anything?  I just didn't like the treatment I received being 130 pounds and it was not just in my head!  Now I just look normal but don't get overlooked as I used to.  It wasn't something inside of me that was amiss, it was the rest of the world being so shallow.

Gary obviously commands more respect the bigger he gets.  Maybe he likes that but can't duplicate it by himself.  Or maybe he just loves training.  Who knows what his reasons are or what working out means to him.  I can only speak of what it means to me.

As for Gary, look at the reaction he is getting from the ladies:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=2883914

Obviously he has that myspace set up for a reason.  I'm sure he loves getting those comments.

Your right.

and I just think that's the nature of the beast.

All of those comments and things can be nice but they're hollow.

I don't want friends who like me for my body. I want friends who admire me for the dedication involved in changing my body, not the body itself. Same goes for girls.

They might give you the time of day now, but do you want some one who will give you the time of day just because of your body?

I guess it's good if you just want sex but I'd rather be close to someone who isn't affected by stuff like that. What would happen if my goal was to be Ronnie Coleman, all of a sudden she likes me when I'm smaller but when I reach my goals she doesn't like me anymore?

What if I decided to pursue something else and dedicate my time to that. My body isn't going to be the same forever, it ages, I don't want some shallow chic.

Billy Rosewood

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Love is a Force of Nature
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2006, 02:38:00 PM »
Sean,

If my nephew hires you for a birthday party, can the kids throw pies at you or play pin the tail on the former gladiator?
Rusty Owns Chick's Soul

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2006, 03:16:58 PM »
Die for me, bitch!   >:(

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2006, 04:05:04 PM »
All I know is, is that if I were one of the top guys from the late 80's / early 90's and I was scanning over the field of competitors today, I wouldn't hesitate jumping back in the mix and claiming my piece of the pie.

agreed the pros today look like fat pigs.... its good to see Gary come back...

HeartofSteel

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2006, 04:12:26 PM »
Gary is amazing.. I saw him yesterday in the middle of a photo shoot and he took the time to shake my hand and chat for a few seconds, now THAT is what I call a champion!

-HOS
You gotta have HeartofSteel

spotter

• Getbig III
  • Off the Hook
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2006, 06:59:24 PM »
he and derek anthony get their wigs from the same vendor?

You got that right Big!!! LOL ;D

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2006, 11:46:51 PM »
Gary is amazing.. I saw him yesterday in the middle of a photo shoot and he took the time to shake my hand and chat for a few seconds, now THAT is what I call a champion!

-HOS

Champions chat for a few seconds? ;D

rufjunk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2006, 08:56:01 AM »
But why, after all these years, does Strydom find a need to put on the posing trunks again?

For several reasons. First of all, Strydom watched closely when the Ben Weider mandate was released last year, citing that bloated belly's would no longer be tolerated, that the small waist, flat tummy and overall aesthetic look would be rewarded. Which, of course, the 6' 1 1/2" Strydom possesses.

"Bodybuilding has turned into mass building," says Strydom, "and it's not something most people, including me, would want to look like. These distended stomachs are ridiculous. Bodybuilding should be about balance; if one bodypart stands out over the rest of the physique, that person should not be rewarded with wins, or high placings.

"I wanted to prove that a big man could still have a small waist, a balanced, aesthetic physique. I weighed 278 pounds today (Friday, April 21) and am tight and grainy with a good, overall flow. I think I look better now than when I won the WBF titles; I weighed 258 then, but wasn't nearly as hard as I am today."

He is admittedly concerned that the credo might not be followed, however. "They didn't use that as a guideline at last year's Mr. Olympia," Strydom says. "But, after watching the Iron Man, and seeing Dexter Jackson win the Arnold again, I feel better about the direction the sport could be going. I'm a big fan of Dexter's physique, and feel I'm a larger version of Jackson...

...My goal is to get back on the Mr. Olympia stage. I want to be in the line-up in Las Vegas, and think I would have a good shot at knocking off some of the people who have placed pretty high in that show."

It seems like Gary's goal is to compete in the Mr. Olympia but why does he have to compete in it in order to prove you can have a balanced physique without an elongated stomach?

He mentioned Dexter Jackson as an example of an existing competitor already with said proportions. I hope he does well, I'm just curious as to his return. The distended guts seems to be one motivating factor but I sincerly doubt it's the sole purpose.