Author Topic: What's your gym pet peeve?  (Read 25476 times)

MiniMike

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: What's your gym pet peeve?
« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2007, 01:47:58 PM »
It's a gym, not a fuckin' library. Sometimes you gotta drop that shit.

And when you gotta drop that shit you should be using a spotter to help you set it down so you don't injure yourself or damage the equipment.

Dingleberry

• Getbig IV
  • My nuts, your chin, any questions?
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2007, 01:49:02 PM »
Either that or he is smoking weed at the gym with a glass bong !!! fuckin cool!!

I've smoked my share of weed, but I don't think I'm getting my lips anywhere close to that thing....

tiny-tit bounty hunter

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2007, 01:50:36 PM »
Im the same way...the only person i can train with is my older bro but he is in iraq now so i just train alone. Same exact way. Monster "dont f**k with me" face and pantera in the ear...and i want to kill someone when they talk to me. and esp if its something like "hey do you take protien" or "is creatine like steroids"

See, that doesn't bother me... I am actually pretty friendly in the gym... I'm only intense DURING my set. I am all about the vibe... Remember pumping iron, those guys were all helping and friendly to each other... That's how you make friends, not by being so "hardcore" that no one can approach you, it gives bodybuilders a bad name anyway.

If someone asks me about supplements, I absolutely stop to talk to them... The less ignorance about what we do and how we live, the better... You want people to stop thinking we're all a bunch of goons, we gotta stop acting like 'em... ya' know what I mean?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2007, 01:54:24 PM »
See, that doesn't bother me... I am actually pretty friendly in the gym... I'm only intense DURING my set. I am all about the vibe... Remember pumping iron, those guys were all helping and friendly to each other... That's how you make friends, not by being so "hardcore" that no one can approach you, it gives bodybuilders a bad name anyway.

If someone asks me about supplements, I absolutely stop to talk to them... The less ignorance about what we do and how we live, the better... You want people to stop thinking we're all a bunch of goons, we gotta stop acting like 'em... ya' know what I mean?

I totally see where u are comming from but if im all frendly i loose focus. I talk and bullshit after i train but cant do it during.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #129 on: February 06, 2007, 01:55:36 PM »
I wouldn't mind the small talk except for the fact that people just can't keep it short. If you want to give a quick "what's up" between sets that's OK, but the next thing I know I'm engaged in a fvcking ten minute convesation about what chick this asshole is banging, how he's buying a new house...Blalh, blah blah. I don't fvcking care......I'm working out asshole.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: February 06, 2007, 01:55:57 PM »
the funny thing is that the biggest, strongest dudes i've ever seen train have been the guys who laugh, joke, smile and clown around with people, 9 times out of 10 the dudes who are dead serious and walking around with a "fucck you" look on their face are 160lbs. and they're doing 150 pound seated cable rows.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2007, 01:57:54 PM »
I wouldn't mind the small talk except for the fact that people just can't keep it short. If you want to give a quick "what's up" between sets that's OK, but the next thing I know I'm engaged in a fvcking ten minute convesation about what chick this asshole is banging, how he's buying a new house...Blalh, blah blah. I don't fvcking care......I'm working out asshole.

Yeah, that is when it gets too much... if they try to carry on too much, I just put my headphones back in and go about my way... They get the hint.

MiniMike

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2007, 01:58:45 PM »

I try to be completely friendly if someone approaches me trying to engage in a conversation. Just someone being in a gym in the first place gets a little respect from me, but I don't actively try to engage in conversation. If someone asks for advice I tell them what has worked for me and try not to be too narcissistic.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2007, 02:00:23 PM »
I try to be completely friendly if someone approaches me trying to engage in a conversation. Just someone being in a gym in the first place gets a little respect from me, but I don't actively try to engage in conversation. If someone asks for advice I tell them what has worked for me and try not to be too narcissistic.

Absolutely, Gotta educate the unknowning... That's how we'll make big improvements in the sport, not by being all "snarky".

MiniMike

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #134 on: February 06, 2007, 02:08:49 PM »

Like I said before a simple "Excuse me" works pretty well. Most of the time if I'm talking to someone between sets I just say "Excuse me, I got my next set" and then put my headphones on before they can respond. It just puts out the vibe that casual conversation is great, but I'm here to accomplish something. Talking with people between sets is ok as long as you put out the vibe that when your next set is up it's all business and the converstion has gotta be put on hold for a few.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2007, 02:09:31 PM »
I hate the people that ask me why I am doing something a certain way and then want a detailed speech on how to do it.
Squishy face retard

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2007, 02:09:59 PM »
I just had a really funny (to me) thought on this topic.....

Why is it when I am at the Gym, people want to socialize with me

And when i am at a party, people want to talk about working out?

Anybody else notice this phenomena?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2007, 02:14:05 PM »

Man, totally... Happens to me all the time.

JimmyTheFish

• Getbig III
« Reply #138 on: February 06, 2007, 02:18:36 PM »
Man, totally... Happens to me all the time.

I am sure it does 'big' guy.................. ::)

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #139 on: February 06, 2007, 02:20:27 PM »
Pat Casey used to incline the 210's and set them on his knees and walk them to the rack at the end of his set, if he can do it Coleman or ANYONE can do it.

And thats the way it should be done, I was taught that way since day one, if you drop the weights, you can't handle the weight!

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
  • Dan18 has a huge forehead
« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2007, 02:21:16 PM »
I am sure it does 'big' guy..................

HAHAHAHA people want to talk about working out to this fat oaf..... they must be desperate

MiniMike

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2007, 02:21:36 PM »

Yeah you're not the only one. When I'm at a party people tend to start talking about working out and about how great shape they were in a few years ago. Hey I don't know if what they are saying is true or not but I've had my lows where I stopped working out for months and thought I was really small and try to put myself in their place.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2007, 02:22:42 PM »
And thats the way it should be done, I was taught that way since day one, if you drop the weights, you can't handle the weight!
If you bang them down its cool but i usually notice people in front of me or in my way trying to get weights (LA Fitness mind you) so I drop them out to the side, which does make a little noise and obviously deadlifts ar gonna make some noise.
Squishy face retard

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2007, 02:24:18 PM »
curling in the the squat rack
monopolizing machine.. like doing people who do their whole session on the cables..

choice is an illusion

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »
curling in the the squat rack
monopolizing machine.. like doing people who do their whole session on the cables..

SOOOOO true.  Seriously, pick a long bar nobody is using elsewhere.  I see so many roid heads just using cables.  I have found some exercise that have helped me pack on more mass but most are free weights.
Squishy face retard

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2007, 02:28:26 PM »
I am sure it does 'big' guy.................. ::)

Funny... I'd bet I'm bigger than you...

But either way... considering it's kinda old now... at least a year, and I was a REAL lard ass before... Yeah, I'm ok with that picture.

5'6 at what 215 there... it ain't so bad... you should put up the one with the flex'd arm... It's about the same time.

MiniMike

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2007, 02:32:05 PM »
If you bang them down its cool but i usually notice people in front of me or in my way trying to get weights (LA Fitness mind you) so I drop them out to the side, which does make a little noise and obviously deadlifts ar gonna make some noise.

I sponsored two coworkers to my gym cause they were interested, I got them a day pass so I spent one workout with them. One guy grabbed the 30 pounders, walked up near a flat bench in front of the mirrors and then just dropped them on the floor. This guy was maybe 5'10" and about 150 pounds. I got pissed at him and told him that was uncalled for.

The same guy later in the workout was doing squats on a power rack and when he was finished he just walked away from the rack without reracking his weights. I called him on it and he just said "They got people here to do that." I then explained him that it's common gym etiquette to rerack your weights. He wasn't happy with it but he did it.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: February 06, 2007, 02:36:54 PM »
I'm a fairly nice guy in the gym.  This group of four guys always seems to get pissed when I am there because I lift pretty heavy but don't grunt and only ever made noise when I deadlifted.  One of them tried to bug me while I was doing BB rows and I just kinda blew him off but I guess his ego couldn't handle it.  These same guys and others like to stand right in front of the dbell racks in front of people doing db benches, shoulder presses, etc and also in the way of people trying to get DBs.  I hate it.
Squishy face retard

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2007, 02:44:08 PM »
dumbbells are meant to be dropped

WTF are you talking about? If you have to drop it you shouldn't be using them in the first place, if I could you dropping (more like throwing) dumbells in my gym you'd be 86'd in a heart beat......that's just being freaking lazy!

MoralMan

• Getbig III
« Reply #149 on: February 06, 2007, 02:47:29 PM »
If you have enough energy after your last set to place the Dbs back on your knees then walk them back to the rack you havent worked hard enough!