Author Topic: MLB Playoffs  (Read 47118 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Yankees vs Toronto for AL East title - who you got?
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2015, 06:14:29 AM »
Yeah, holding onto Severino and him at the deadline looks like it could reap big dividends.

Also, Gregorious sporting a second half .324 /.425 / .766 slash line.  If he stays at that level, that will be a brilliant trade by Cashman.
cashman did wonderful job with bullpen,ss/holding on to the talent AT AAA...

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2015, 07:09:46 AM »
These teams are playing some crazy games - big time HRs, outfield assists, big time contribution from rookies and vets....all good stuff.

Would love to see a 4 out of 7 in the ALCS.  It would be some insanely fun baseball.

I attended the first two and are going back for the rubber match tonight.  

what a game last night! ... in addition to Bautista's arm and the dramatic dingers ... how 'bout those inning-ending bases loaded strikeouts of Arod, Encarnacion & Donaldson? exciting stuff!

tonight was shaping up to be another classic but too bad Tanaka has to be skipped against Stroman.
(pitchers hitting is a joke.)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2015, 07:13:27 AM »

what a game last night! ... in addition to Bautista's arm and the dramatic dingers ... how 'bout those inning-ending bases loaded strikeouts of Arod, Encarnacion & Donaldson? exciting stuff!

tonight was shaping up to be another classic but too bad Tanaka has to be skipped against Stroman.
DOWN TO THE WIRE,,,,,GREAT FINISH AL EAST..THOSE 3 HR GUYS ARE UNREAL THIS YR ALL OVER 35,,TULO WAS GOOD FOR THAT TOO IN COLO...

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2015, 07:27:49 AM »

Beauty! Going to Sunday's game. Can hardly focus on work. Already have that $11.50 beer in hand. Go Jays!

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2015, 07:29:40 AM »

Agree on all counts - since I always focus through a Yankee lens (Arod K in big spot), I forget the same happened on the other side (twice).

Yes, having the pitchers hit is dumb, and even moreso when the AL has to do it since they're not conditioned.

Tanaka pitching could have made this race a real tension builder.  However, although I know in one game anything can happen, I do not like Nova's chances of winning.  He has no out pitch against this lineup.
Y

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2015, 10:51:54 AM »
greg bird has a nice start to his big league career will he have staying power, or be another shane spencer, kevin maas washout... ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
F

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2015, 11:33:26 AM »
greg bird has a nice start to his big league career will he have staying power, or be another shane spencer, kevin maas washout... ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

I think he won't be like those guys....he's a pretty highly regarded prospect, with Cashman referring to him as the best hitter in their minor league organization.

There's a reason he and Severino were not traded for Price / Cueto / Hamels.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2015, 11:53:26 AM »
Beauty! Going to Sunday's game. Can hardly focus on work. Already have that $11.50 beer in hand. Go Jays!

yeah, the Jays are making a killing on beer sales during all these consecutive sellouts.

remember to get there early on Sunday to receive your Blue Jays hoodie.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2015, 11:56:08 AM »
yeah, the Jays are making a killing on beer sales during all these consecutive sellouts.

remember to get there early on Sunday to receive your Blue Jays hoodie.
I never miss out on swag.    ;D

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2015, 08:05:29 PM »
big win for the Jays tonight. 3 1/2 up with like 12 games remaining.

How good is Stroman looking??? Fuk me!

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2015, 09:40:43 PM »
big win for the Jays tonight. 3 1/2 up with like 12 games remaining.

How good is Stroman looking??? Fuk me!

magical that Stroman makes it back for 5 starts this season (and could go 5-0) plus is big part of playoff rotation.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2015, 04:51:48 AM »
Yankees WC time......one game playoff likely.

Ruins the integrity of the game, IMO....I don't even like the 3 out of 5 Division Series.  Baseball doesn't work like that.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2015, 09:30:31 AM »

Ruins the integrity of the game, IMO....I don't even like the 3 out of 5 Division Series.  Baseball doesn't work like that.

I agree with what Girardi suggested re the WC ... should be a 2 outta 3 series (with no off travel day)

And, yeah, the Division Series should be 4 out of 7.
3 out of 5 sucks.
if the best teams over 162 get upset in the playoffs it shouldn't be partially because of the format.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2015, 10:57:32 AM »

i agree every series should be 4 out of 7.... but as far as the wild card, i like the one and done format, causes both teams to burn their best pitcher to win the game ... and at the same time gives the division leaders an advantage for winning the division... imagine the cardinals, pirates and cubs could have the best 3 records in baseball in the same division never happened before
F

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2015, 12:03:35 PM »
.... but as far as the wild card, i like the one and done format, causes both teams to burn their best pitcher to win the game ... and at the same time gives the division leaders an advantage for winning the division...

a 2 out of 3 WC series (with no off days: play Mon, Tues & Wed with DS starting Thurs) accomplishes what should be the objectives even more:

i) gives better chance for the better team to win the WC

ii) division winner is even more in the catbird seat with its opponent probably having to play 5 games in a row to start the playoffs thus burning their top two starters for the first couple of games of the DS as well as probably coming into the series with a tired pen ... (not to mention, having to travel to a couple of cities over a few days)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2015, 03:21:09 PM »
i think they should get rid of inter league play too. it's time has come and gone...keep leagues separate till world series adds  more excitement in my humble opinion. if i want to see al teams i;ll go to Yankees or oriole games nl teams phillies or met games..not that hard to see all the teams.
F

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2015, 03:40:10 PM »
i think they should get rid of inter league play too. it's time has come and gone...keep leagues separate till world series adds  more excitement in my humble opinion. if i want to see al teams i;ll go to Yankees or oriole games nl teams phillies or met games..not that hard to see all the teams.

yeah, i'm not a fan of interleague play either (especially with the pitcher hitting sillyness for AL teams.)

i'm a season ticket holder but usually don't attend the interleague games.

but interleague play ain't going anywhere as long as there are 15 teams in each league.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2015, 02:44:25 PM »
JAYS! 

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2015, 02:36:22 PM »
I think an X Factor for the Jays is going to be Ben Revere. When he came over on the trade, his BA was down in the 260's for the first number of games,...now its up to 320 and not coincidentally t he Jays are winning everything

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2015, 06:09:45 PM »
I think an X Factor for the Jays is going to be Ben Revere. When he came over on the trade, his BA was down in the 260's for the first number of games,...now its up to 320 and not coincidentally t he Jays are winning everything

yeah, Revere's been a big upgrade over the Carerra/Valencia/Colabello mess they were throwing out there in LF before the deadline. (they got some offence from that threesome but their D was brutal.)

of course, Michael Saunders was supposed to be this team's everyday LFer and he's a nice all-around player, but it's a shame he fucked up his knee on a sprinkler head during spring training and pretty much lost the entire season.

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2015, 07:32:55 PM »
yeah, Revere's been a big upgrade over the Carerra/Valencia/Colabello mess they were throwing out there in LF before the deadline. (they got some offence from that threesome but their D was brutal.)

of course, Michael Saunders was supposed to be this team's everyday LFer and he's a nice all-around player, but it's a shame he fucked up his knee on a sprinkler head during spring training and pretty much lost the entire season.

Revere has been awesome...defence and at the plate. Base running is ok too.

Jays are now 1st overall in the AL!!

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2015, 08:02:32 PM »
Revere has been awesome...defence and at the plate. Base running is ok too.

Jays are now 1st overall in the AL!!

well, tied with KC right now ... (but, yeah, the Jays own the tiebreaker over the Royals.)

it'd be nice to get the top seed in the AL ... not just to secure home field advantage throughout the playoffs ... but also because they'd skip facing the red hot Rangers in the first round.

would rather the Jays play the winner of the wildcard game (Twins, Astros, Angels or Yankees - in that order.)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2015, 02:41:58 AM »
well, tied with KC right now ... (but, yeah, the Jays own the tiebreaker over the Royals.)

it'd be nice to get the top seed in the AL ... not just to secure home field advantage throughout the playoffs ... but also because they'd skip facing the red hot Rangers in the first round.

would rather the Jays play the winner of the wildcard game (Twins, Astros, Angels or Yankees - in that order.)

Off to see the Jays.  :)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2015, 05:57:15 PM »

I don't mind paying Toronto if the Yankees get in.   Despite losing the season series, they've lost a lot of close games.
Y

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2015, 06:17:13 PM »
I don't mind paying Toronto if the Yankees get in.   Despite losing the season series, they've lost a lot of close games.
x2..yanks are getting warm again after a haze a few wks ago...