Author Topic: MLB Playoffs  (Read 46994 times)

tom joad

• Getbig V
Re: Yankees vs Toronto for AL East title - who you got?
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2015, 10:44:04 AM »
I'm getting tired of this "money ball" shit from my A's. Its great to watch Donaldson have an MVP type year in Toronto  ::)

When will they realize that you actually have to keep some talent to stay competitive?  :-X

well right now AL MVP is between Trout & Donaldson ... they're basically tied in WARf ... but (if I had a vote) i'd probably be voting for Trout every damn year ...

it's undestandable that the A's would deal a star right before their walk year, but Donaldson ain't eligible for free agency until 2019 ...

(apparently, Donaldson & Beane got into it late last season over Josh wanting a day off and Beane not being happy about it, and then Donaldson started calling Beane "Billy boy" ...)

the package the Jays sent the A's way wasn't overly impressive ...

actually it's remarkable that the Jays just built the best left side of the infield (Donaldson & Tulo) without trading their 3 best young pitchers (Stroman, Osuna & Sanchez)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2015, 10:47:45 AM »
well right now AL MVP is between Trout & Donaldson ... they're basically tied in WARf ... but (if I had a vote) i'd probably be voting for Trout every damn year ...

it's undestandable that the A's would deal a star right before their walk year, but Donaldson ain't eligible for free agency until 2019 ...

(apparently, Donaldson & Beane got into it late last season over Josh wanting a day off and Beane not being happy about it, and then Donaldson started calling Beane "Billy boy" ...)

the package the Jays sent the A's way wasn't overly impressive ...

actually it's remarkable that the Jays just built the best left side of the infield (Donaldson & Tulo) without trading their 3 best young pitchers (Stroman, Osuna & Sanchez)

Feel the same way about Trout.  I actually believe he should already have 3 MVPs.

That's a good 1-2 in the voting, but ARod and Teixeira are going to get votes as well.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2015, 12:49:01 PM »
Feel the same way about Trout.  I actually believe he should already have 3 MVPs.

That's a good 1-2 in the voting, but ARod and Teixeira are going to get votes as well.

yeah, Trout's the gold standard.

I can't see dh Arod getting much love from the BBWAA for MVP ... "comeback player of the year" hell yeah!

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2015, 01:14:46 PM »
yeah, Trout's the gold standard.

I can't see dh Arod getting much love from the BBWAA for MVP ... "comeback player of the year" hell yeah!

His numbers justify it, and he's actually turning the tide a bit in terms of like/dislike (at least in NY).

Where do you want me to send your cowboy hat?
Y

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2015, 09:19:15 PM »
Jays 9 straight now. Bautista another HR.

tough loss for the Yanks today ....16 innings.

Jays .5 game back

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2015, 10:29:02 PM »
i believe its the first time since the last year the Jays won the world series...that they have been in 1st in the AL east this late in the season

I dont get to watch Yankee games that often. Whats going on with them in the last week or so? lost 5 straight

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2015, 03:59:48 AM »
I dont get to watch Yankee games that often. Whats going on with them in the last week or so? lost 5 straight

Bats are silent.  With the ups and downs of a season, they're unlucky right now that they're mostly team slumping right now.  I think 4 or so of their losses in the last week have been 2-1.

So, this means when they break out, they will score a ton...OR....they could break out and the pitching could shit.....never know with baseball.

Toronto, on the other hand, appears to not be able to lose.  This Yankee fan is hoping their pitching and hitting both cool off at the same time.

I have no Toronto hate and there's a bunch of good Toronto fans here, but they are bugging me a little right now.   ;D
Y

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2015, 07:48:04 AM »
Bats are silent.  With the ups and downs of a season, they're unlucky right now that they're mostly team slumping right now.  I think 4 or so of their losses in the last week have been 2-1.

So, this means when they break out, they will score a ton...OR....they could break out and the pitching could shit.....never know with baseball.

Toronto, on the other hand, appears to not be able to lose.  This Yankee fan is hoping their pitching and hitting both cool off at the same time.

I have no Toronto hate and there's a bunch of good Toronto fans here, but they are bugging me a little right now.  ;D
Add me to the list. Go Jays!    ;D

/going out to lunch with my bautista jersey and jays' cap.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2015, 07:56:17 AM »
Yeah chimps - you/blinky/joad all Toronto fans.

They HAVE to lose at some point, right?

right?
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2015, 12:09:02 PM »
Toronto is 14-1 since shipping Reyes out and Tulowitzki joining the team ...
(the one loss came when Tulo had the day off)

Defense has greatly improved with Tulo, Revere, Goins & Smoak playing everyday now ...

Best pitching in the league since the all star break ...

Going to all 3 against the Bombers this weekend.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2015, 01:36:05 PM »
yanks pitching has been great of late but theses bats???they will get hot again,,arod cooled a bit,they were on a home run tear,,tor/yanks still 1-2 runs scored even with this slump.

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2015, 11:14:16 PM »
Bats are silent.  With the ups and downs of a season, they're unlucky right now that they're mostly team slumping right now.  I think 4 or so of their losses in the last week have been 2-1.

Toronto, on the other hand, appears to not be able to lose.  This Yankee fan is hoping their pitching and hitting both cool off at the same time.

I have no Toronto hate and there's a bunch of good Toronto fans here, but they are bugging me a little right now.   ;D

saw Baseball Tonight the other day...they said 2 things.

1. the Yanks have been overachieving this year and theyre coming back down now
2. some of their best offensive players are getting older and they could be getting tired.

i was thinking #2 myself

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2015, 11:16:44 PM »
Toronto is 14-1 since shipping Reyes out and Tulowitzki joining the team ...
(the one loss came when Tulo had the day off)

Defense has greatly improved with Tulo, Revere, Goins & Smoak playing everyday now ...

Best pitching in the league since the all star break ...

Going to all 3 against the Bombers this weekend.

Smoak has been awesome when he plays 1st in place of Edwin(bat and glove)

Tulo and EE both had the day off Thursday and they still won

11 straight

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2015, 12:44:48 PM »
saw Baseball Tonight the other day...they said 2 things.

1. the Yanks have been overachieving this year and theyre coming back down now
2. some of their best offensive players are getting older and they could be getting tired.

i was thinking #2 myself

#2 maybe....but their hitters were just playing to their abilities, so I don't think it's overachieving.  Their bullpen is great, so that's not overachieving.  The SP hasn't been stellar either.

I think it's just a baseball slump.

Most analysts didn't take the time to realize the Yankees had gotten younger and better over the winter.
Y

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2015, 08:21:21 PM »
Jays coming back down to earth a bit  :(

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2015, 08:29:25 PM »
Jays coming back down to earth a bit  :(
tanaka was great..

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2015, 11:23:32 AM »
fun weekend of baseball in Toronto.
each game a sell out.
electric atmosphere especially on Friday night ...
great 12 pitch AB ending it with Miller K-ing Tulo (with a couple of ducks on the pond)
Yankee pitching awesome all 3 games.
lucky sun-blinding "double" allows the Jays to avoid being swept.

Hutchison (12-2 fwiw) sent down to Buffalo today after his quality start yesterday.
Jays going with a 4 man rotation for the next week-and-a-half (since they have 3 off days.)

still 7 games left between TO & NY ...
too bad they ain't hooking up on the final weekend of the season ...
(Jays will finish in TB, and the Yanks in Baltimore) ...
yeah, i'm looking that far ahead ... haha

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2015, 04:30:55 AM »
each game a sell out.
great 12 pitch AB ending it with Miller K-ing Tulo (with a couple of ducks on the pond)

Hutchison (12-2 fwiw) sent down to Buffalo today after his quality start yesterday.
Jays going with a 4 man rotation for the next week-and-a-half (since they have 3 off days.)

It sure did look like an electric atmosphere.

These two teams are going to battle this year.  Toronto's 2/3/4 hitters are ridiculous still, and I would cringe every time the line up flipped.  .219/.336/.406 slash line for Tulo though....didn't realize that was it.
Y

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2015, 05:59:16 AM »
each game a sell out.

Who was that Yankee middle reliever. Gawd, that guy was throwing serious breaking shit. Looked like an extra from The Wire. Lucky to hold on and get a win, there.

/looking forward to the last jays' home game. bit prescient to get those tics. big smile

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2015, 10:42:07 AM »
It sure did look like an electric atmosphere.

These two teams are going to battle this year.  Toronto's 2/3/4 hitters are ridiculous still, and I would cringe every time the line up flipped.  .219/.336/.406 slash line for Tulo though....didn't realize that was it.

yeah, Tulo's been in a slump since coming to Toronto ... but the Jays have been rollin' since he replaced Reyes (simply addition by subtraction so far.)

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2015, 06:11:41 PM »
yeah, Tulo's been in a slump since coming to Toronto ... but the Jays have been rollin' since he replaced Reyes (simply addition by subtraction so far.)

Tulo's been hitting lead off since coming to T.O which he's never done before. That might be part of the problem

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2015, 06:54:32 AM »
Tulo's been hitting lead off since coming to T.O which he's never done before. That might be part of the problem

That shouldn't affect a professional ballplayer.  Probably just a slump.

Then again, most of these guys are nuts, so who knows?
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2015, 01:27:49 PM »
even with Tulo scuffling, his low OBP with the Jays is still higher than Reyes' OBP and Ben Revere's too (who some foolishly think should be leading off because he's "fast" haha)

macgarth

• Getbig II
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2015, 04:18:48 AM »
Tulo gets more at bats if he's in the lead off spot. He really is only a lead off hitter once per game, maybe twice if it lines up right. With Reveres speed, if he gets on base, they have a chance to move him around and score with Tulo, Donaldson, bau, encarnacion, and smoak. If Revere hit lead off and they plugged Tulo down a spot or two, the rest of th top 5 would slide down meaning less at bats overall for them.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2015, 04:41:18 AM »
Ben Revere's too (who some foolishly think should be leading off because he's "fast" haha)

Yes, those people don't understand the ability to get on base trumps speed.
Y