Author Topic: Angled Smith Machine is a good piece of equipment.  (Read 27107 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: Angled Smith Machine is a good piece of equipment.
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 01:46:43 PM »
disagree like it was stated both exercises contain an "S" movement in them and while yes you can still do the exercise you cannot simulate the "S" on a smith unless its the kind where the guides move and even then I wouldnt know how effective it is.

smiths have their place but dont try and tell ppl they can take the place of free weights in movement...

What a load of absolute bullshit. Do the damn exercise. It feels the same. Free weight devotees really are close-minded knuckleheads. Toss all the free weights into the ocean and make our sport a better thing. Get rid of all that clanging and tossing weights down. This is primitive bodybuilding at its worst.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 02:01:39 PM »
So Vince, do you really think this angled version of the Smith has benefit for say, A competitive Olympic Lifter, or Powerlifter training for a competition, beyond say, simple muscle stimulation?

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 02:11:55 PM »
What a load of absolute bullshit. Do the damn exercise. It feels the same. Free weight devotees really are close-minded knuckleheads. Toss all the free weights into the ocean and make our sport a better thing. Get rid of all that clanging and tossing weights down. This is primitive bodybuilding at its worst.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 02:18:12 PM »
LMAO first off I said the smith machine has its place so I dont know why you lumped me into the free weight devotee knuckle head crowd...but whatever makes it easier for you to get by

2nd a machine that only allows for motion along one path does not feel that same as doing the exercise with free moving weights that allow you to move the weight ALONG THE NATURAL LINE OF THE MOTION which is an "S"...

sorry to burst your 80 yrs of training knowledge hoss ;)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 02:25:43 PM »
i sold this smith machine for a few years....it allowed the bar to move front to back and up and down....so essentially it just balanced the bar from side to side for you....

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 02:31:31 PM »
i sold this smith machine for a few years....it allowed the bar to move front to back and up and down....so essentially it just balanced the bar from side to side for you....

ive never used a smith like this before but id really like to try it and see how it feels

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 02:36:21 PM »
When you allow the bar to float you might as well just use a barbell. Much cheaper, too.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 02:38:21 PM »
LMAO first off I said the smith machine has its place so I dont know why you lumped me into the free weight devotee knuckle head crowd...but whatever makes it easier for you to get by

2nd a machine that only allows for motion along one path does not feel that same as doing the exercise with free moving weights that allow you to move the weight ALONG THE NATURAL LINE OF THE MOTION which is an "S"...

sorry to burst your 80 yrs of training knowledge hoss ;)

You are splitting hairs to justify what you do or don't do. Typical of muscleheads who don't want to use machines or being seen using them. If it feels the same then it is the same. What could be simpler?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 02:40:35 PM »
To Dr Chimps. Your personal attacks are pathetic and shameful as well. Do you ever have anything to contribute to bodybuilding besides trivia crap? Stay out of my threads you asshole.

LATS

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 03:03:55 PM »
well. there are some machines that are better at "targeting" certain muscle for some people.. that is of no doubt.. i used numerous free weight movements for chest for the last 25 years.. my chest did not start to grow until i started using machines and found the right seat setting for my structure and started adding on the weight.. i can feel my pecs from start to finish using most of the hammer machines.. so yes, in some cases the machines have a advantage.. to think that only a massive physique can be built by using free weights is close minded and buying into the "hardcore" mentality that the mags tried to convey.. dorian used a combination of hammer and free weights and smiths machines.. did not hurt his build.. jays primary chest movement is hammer inclines.. so if ya feel machines more than by all means use the hell out of them..

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 03:09:53 PM »
To Dr Chimps. Your personal attacks are pathetic and shameful as well. Do you ever have anything to contribute to bodybuilding besides trivia crap? Stay out of my threads you asshole.
Like your petty and vindictive attacks on VinceG!? What a hypocrite.   

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2011, 03:13:15 PM »
You are splitting hairs to justify what you do or don't do. Typical of muscleheads who don't want to use machines or being seen using them. If it feels the same then it is the same. What could be simpler?
youre defending the smith to justify what you do...i can hear you saying the same bs to potential clients lol

I use the smith but not for bench press, ill do hack squats on them from time to time but mainly for yates row, shrugs and calve raises

I also use machines in my workouts too so dont try and explain my viewpoint as the typical free weight "knuckle head"

being ignorant is one thing but being willingly ignorant is another you sir are willingly ignorant

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2011, 03:22:58 PM »
youre defending the smith to justify what you do...i can here you saying the same bs to potential clients lol

I use the smith but not for bench press, ill do hack squats on them from time to time but mainly for yates row, shrugs and calve raises

I also use machines in my workouts too so dont try and explain my viewpoint as the typical free weight "knuckle head"

being ignorant is one thing but being willingly ignorant is another you sir are willingly ignorant

No, I let members train the way they want. Occasionally when I am there I correct poor form. Everyone is an expert after a while. Oblivious but experts just the same!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2011, 03:35:16 PM »
No, I let members train the way they want. Occasionally when I am there I correct poor form. Everyone is an expert after a while. Oblivious but experts just the same!
true and true sir, you particularly should take a lesson from the last sentence in your own quote

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 03:42:15 PM »
Basile is so fired up, he's probably had to change his "dignity briefs" 3-4 times by now!

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 04:05:05 PM »
Basile is so fired up, he's probably had to change his "dignity briefs" 3-4 times by now!

Dignity briefs, he says.

Comedy gold.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2011, 06:02:22 PM »

lolz

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2011, 06:03:31 PM »

This is a pretty cool machine. I use it at my gym

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2011, 06:21:23 PM »

This is a pretty cool machine. I use it at my gym

It really is.  Get a similar feel of free weights, but with the control of it being balanced.

And Basille, unless you have actually tried one, don't bother commenting on it.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »
LMAO @ this retarded fuck trying to convince everyone the smith machine is better than free weights!!

hahahahaaa I bet he had to leave Canada in shame after he told someone his theory on hypertrophy and thats why he won't repeat it.

No one, I've told people before to try the angled smith for shrugs, good way to get the up and back movement of the traps.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2011, 07:32:49 PM »
There is no more irritating gym stereotype than the guy who goes around "correcting poor form". 

240_Iz_Nutz

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2011, 08:03:58 PM »
There is no more irritating gym stereotype than the guy who goes around "correcting poor form". 

This is true, and people will not listen to you anyway 99% of the time. There is an old dude (must be almost 80) that trains around the same time as me these days. He uses pretty terrible form on most everything, including push ups that look like he is trying to fuck something rather than work his upper body. The thing he does that bothers me, and I probably should help him, is this really aggressive version of a cable crossover with too much weight. I would go as far as to say that he couldn't even tell you what muscle group he is attempting to work. He has a good chance at fucking something like his shoulders up doing this "exercise", but despite being qualified to truly help him, I just keep whatever hat I'm wearing pulled low and listen to my music. I bet the guy would walk away in spite of me being clean now, saying "damn steroids...who the hell is he to talk to me like that"....haha, but it isn't even a joke...

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2011, 08:04:11 PM »

Irritating? What a joke. When I design pieces of equipment they are intended to be used in a particular fashion. Most users have too many plates and have to cheat to complete the movements. This applies especially to triceps movements. If the elbows move you can be sure the triceps are not being contracted properly. It isn't always obvious how to position oneself in machines. Even long time members need help from time to time.

I wish I had someone knowledgeable around when I started training. That would have saved me countless years and frustration. Getbiggers have no need for information because they already know everything. Some genuine people send me messages wanting help. I prefer to help them via posts. Otherwise I am doing personal training and I try not to do that.

Look at what this site has become. What a joke. Good threads are hijacked for fun and everyone has a good laugh. Then when we see photos of our heroes they are hardly that.  

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »
This is true, and people will not listen to you anyway 99% of the time. There is an old dude (must be almost 80) that trains around the same time as me these days. He uses pretty terrible form on most everything, including push ups that look like he is trying to fuck something rather than work his upper body. The thing he does that bothers me, and I probably should help him, is this really aggressive version of a cable crossover with too much weight. I would go as far as to say that he couldn't even tell you what muscle group he is attempting to work. He has a good chance at fucking something like his shoulders up doing this "exercise", but despite being qualified to truly help him, I just keep whatever hat I'm wearing pulled low and listen to my music. I bet the guy would walk away in spite of me being clean now, saying "damn steroids...who the hell is he to talk to me like that"....haha, but it isn't even a joke...
AHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA i love the name

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2011, 08:07:59 PM »
We have all been to gyms where various people are misusing equipment and doing all manner of bad form. I usually wonder who is instructing people in those gyms and how come they aren't helped?

At my gym people appreciate the help I give them because I stick around to make sure they are benefitting from what I tell them. I don't do personal training so give my advice to members that I feel deserve it.