Author Topic: Locking out vs not locking out Which is easier.  (Read 1262 times)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
Locking out vs not locking out Which is easier.
« on: March 23, 2009, 06:08:43 PM »
Which do you think is easier.. personally i think not locking out is a lot harder..
eg when benching as soon as i get to my max weight for 2 reps.... i have to lock out completely
 if i did continuous none lock out tension style rep with my max .. i wouldn't even get a rep.. i have to lock out so i get a little rep then i might try or two more reps... same with all my pressing movements
so i think none locking out is harder

what do you think which is harder?
choice is an illusion

mademan80

• Getbig II
Re: Locking out vs not locking out Which is easier.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 08:25:06 PM »
i lock to lock out on some movements others not so much it all depends what im working out

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 08:26:23 PM »
i dont lock out, i keep the weights right in the area where i feel the most tension and best contraction.... going up and down in that range of motion....  slow controlled eccentric with as fast as i can go through the concentric

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 08:31:49 PM »
Locking out is easier, as it alleviates the tension on the muscle, allowing a small amount of recovery before the next rep.  Not locking out keeps the muscle under tension throughout the set, meaning it will tire quicker.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 09:13:11 PM »
locking out is pretty ghey..

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 10:08:17 PM »
i lock out when i do squats but i squeeze the shit out of my quads (i saw tom platz do it in his video) ... since then my quads have blown up....

SweatingCheese

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 11:51:05 AM »
The muscle is under tension when you lock out but for all intents and purposes it is not doing any work.  Also, locking out creates a higher risk of injury in your joints (depending on a few factors - weight used, specific movement, etc...)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 12:18:38 PM »
Try locking out on a 1rm compared to not locking out and see which is easier. I see what you guys are saying though.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 12:57:11 PM »
I have to lock out on a 1 rep max
choice is an illusion

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 02:07:08 PM »
You shouldn't be locking out on pressing movements.

Locking out takes all the pressure off the muscles and stright onto the joints and tendons - you have to keep the stress on the muscles at all times to stimulate it even better - it hits the deepest fibres that you wouldn't be otherwise hitting if you were locking out and keeps blood flow into the muscles more efficiently.

Start by dropping the weight a little and practice doing the exercises with the proper control, slow on the negative and power on the positive, feeling the muscle work with the heaviest weight you can do in perfect form.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 11:14:55 AM »
You shouldn't be locking out on pressing movements.

Locking out takes all the pressure off the muscles and stright onto the joints and tendons - you have to keep the stress on the muscles at all times to stimulate it even better - it hits the deepest fibres that you wouldn't be otherwise hitting if you were locking out and keeps blood flow into the muscles more efficiently.

Start by dropping the weight a little and practice doing the exercises with the proper control, slow on the negative and power on the positive, feeling the muscle work with the heaviest weight you can do in perfect form.

No point in growing big muscles if you don't get tendon development to match it imo

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 02:49:17 PM »
No point in growing big muscles if you don't get tendon development to match it imo

Tendon strength is great if you're into powerlifting but I couldn't care less how strong my tendons are - I'm not into strength training or powerlifting and as long as they are strong enough to lift the weights I use to stimulate muscular development then I'm happy.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 01:10:34 PM »
Tendon strength is great if you're into powerlifting but I couldn't care less how strong my tendons are - I'm not into strength training or powerlifting and as long as they are strong enough to lift the weights I use to stimulate muscular development then I'm happy.

Fair enough, but I'd think you'd want to develop them at least some, since a huge amount of bodybuilding-related injuries are tendon and ligament related.  Nothing wrong with locking out on occasion.