Author Topic: This is pretty spooky - mount everest dead people  (Read 9505 times)

littledumbells

• Getbig III
Re: This is pretty spooky - mount everest dead people
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 11:14:21 AM »
worth every penny for a once in a lifetime experience..

i wonder which takes more mental fortitude... climbing everest or walking to the pole !

Walking to the pole seems as though it would be incredibly boring. Everest would be cool, about 30 years ago.
It has become so freaking crowded that any swinging dick, or jane, with 50k can sign up with a guiding company and give it a go. Like it has been mentioned earlier, it gets incredibly crowded at key spots so even if all the planets align on your climb you can still fail due to too many fools with money and little to no experience. "Into thin air" and other books written by the participants in that tragedy give a good perspective into the issues

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 12:46:38 PM »
Has anyone ever made it to the top only to freeze to death on the way down? And has anyone ever committed suicide at the top of the mountain?

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 12:51:45 PM »
Has anyone ever made it to the top only to freeze to death on the way down? And has anyone ever committed suicide at the top of the mountain?

Most people that die, die on the descent. They spend all their reserves making the summit and falter on the way down.

Suicide? Highly unlikely.
a

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 12:53:18 PM »

Plenty in fact most die on decent, they run out to steam and oxygen.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 12:53:56 PM »

Many people have died on the way down - it's just as dangerous. Avalanches are the main thing. I was reading Bear Grylls autobiography not too long ago and I think he says something abuot when he climbed Everest and on the way down people who had gone before him perished in an avalanche. Running out of oxygen is another one.

I think Bear Grylls was only 23 years old when he did it as well - reading about it made me realise how tough it was - there's only a small window of opportunity to get to the top, usually in May every year - any other time is too difficult.

bike nut

• Getbig V
  • Desperation is a stinky cologne
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 12:55:06 PM »
Read the John Krakauer book "Into Thin Air" years ago - interesting story, didn't try to place blame, he just recounted the events that caused the tragedy in 1995.

viking1

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 12:55:30 PM »
Sometimes, you get the elevator...   Sometimes, you get the sherpa.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2012, 12:57:37 PM »
Read the John Krakauer book "Into Thin Air" years ago - interesting story, didn't try to place blame, he just recounted the events that caused the tragedy in 1995.

x2 - been meaning to read this.

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2012, 12:58:29 PM »
It is called the death zone. Every few years they go up there to bring down the bodies.
O

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2012, 01:00:08 PM »

Great read. You'll like it.
a

bike nut

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2012, 01:01:51 PM »

I also read the "rebuttal" book written by the Russian guy that was part of the team - he passed away a few years later on another climb. It's a good read too.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2012, 01:05:11 PM »
I also read the "rebuttal" book written by the Russian guy that was part of the team - he passed away a few years later on another climb. It's a good read too.

This guy: Anatoli Boukreev.    Dude was a stud but it's generally agreed that he fucked up that day on Everest.
a

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2012, 01:21:30 PM »

bike nut

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 01:26:11 PM »
This guy: Anatoli Boukreev.    Dude was a stud but it's generally agreed that he fucked up that day on Everest.

Yeah....Krakauer didn't really blame him, just laid out the facts, which were a bit damning.

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2012, 01:31:32 PM »
   Walking to the pole seems as though it would be incredibly boring. Everest would be cool, about 30 years ago.
It has become so freaking crowded that any swinging dick, or jane, with 50k can sign up with a guiding company and give it a go. Like it has been mentioned earlier, it gets incredibly crowded at key spots so even if all the planets align on your climb you can still fail due to too many fools with money and little to no experience. "Into thin air" and other books written by the participants in that tragedy give a good perspective into the issues

i understand that it's a bit of a tip in certain spots.. they had a special expedition just to pick up some of the tons of rubbish left strewn about the place..

yeah, it's an odd one everest! bound to be popular just because of its status which likely goes against what most people would imagine to be a beautiful, desolate and tranquil place

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2012, 01:34:55 PM »
interesting read, thanks.
interesting but spooky...

The body of David Sharp still sits in a cave at the top of Mount Everest.  David attempted the climb in 2005 and near the top, stopped in this cave to rest.  His body eventually froze in place rendering him unable to move.  Over 30 climbers passed by him as he sat freezing to death.  Some heard faint moans and realized he was still alive.  They stopped and spoke with him.  He was able to identify himself but was unable to move.  Brave climbers moved him into the Sun in an attempt to thaw him but eventually, realizing David would be unable to move, were forced to leave him to die.  His body still sits in the cave and is used as a guide point for other climbers nearing the summit.

Read the rest here

http://www.altereddimensions.net/places/dead-bodies-mount-everest.aspx

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2012, 01:35:51 PM »

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2012, 01:38:59 PM »

Is that the one about the guy who cut his buddy's strap thinking he was dead when it turned out he was still alive?

I think I saw a documentary about that.

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2012, 01:40:12 PM »
Is that the one about the guy who cut his buddy's strap thinking he was dead when it turned out he was still alive?

No, that's 'touching the void'...
O

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2012, 01:50:33 PM »
Yeah....Krakauer didn't really blame him, just laid out the facts, which were a bit damning.

there was a woman involved. there always is.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »
I thought about maybe trying this Moutain Hike , but im cool on their bullshit $70,000 dollar tax to climb it bullshit, ill just get me a new a new TreadMill with Google Road maps download the Mount Everest Map on it and off ill go

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2012, 01:59:08 PM »

Nose, I mean, no.  what you're talking about happened in s. america i think - into the void.

or "touching the void" as previously pointed out.