Author Topic: Training for over a decade - have some questions?  (Read 6128 times)

cephissus

• Getbig V
Training for over a decade - have some questions?
« on: April 15, 2015, 08:26:17 AM »
1.  Is your training more structured or instinctual?  In other words, do you tend to follow a strict plan, or do you adjust constantly based on how you feel?

2.  Do you still try to 'progress' or are you happy staying within limits?  How do you hope to progress?  More weight, bigger muscles, reduce injuries, etc?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: for those who have been training for over a decade
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 08:28:43 AM »
Completly structured down to the weight to be taken and reps...accessory work is all higher reps and feel.
L

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 08:29:09 AM »
I know what body parts or part I'm going to workout when I get to the gym but not what exercises I'm going to do until I start.

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 08:30:34 AM »
More structured in the sense of picking certain exercises to not aggravate injuries. The rest is pretty much dependant on my mood in the gym.

Still trying to progress in both strength and size. I trained natural for about 8 years before taking the plunge so have plenty of growing room.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 08:31:19 AM »
1.  Is your training more structured or instinctual?  In other words, do you tend to follow a strict plan, or do you adjust constantly based on how you feel?

2.  Do you still try to 'progress' or are you happy staying within limits?  How do you hope to progress?  More weight, bigger muscles, reduce injuries, etc?

A mix.  But I definitely find I get much more measurable results when I follow a structured plan.
Y

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 08:33:44 AM »
More structured.  Years ago I used to train instinctively and I didn't get the results I wanted.  I found that I need to train each bodypart twice a week.  Once I kept a tighter schedule by body responded.  I'm natural so I don't have much room for error.

At this point the only way I can improve is to prioritize my weak points, deltoids being one of them.  I started bombing the shit out of my shoulders a while back and they did respond.  I actually look better now than I did years ago.  Still a work in progress.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 08:34:08 AM »
Structured, but I'll occasionally improvise according to how I feel.

As far as progress, I still try to learn new things about the body and nutrition, but, at this point, I'm just trying to keep the angle of decline as small as possible.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 08:35:08 AM »
I've been training pretty consistently for 10 years. My training is more structured now than before.

I'm natural so obviously maxed out years ago but I'm still trying to improve my overall conditioning and strength. Any added lean muscle I can add at this stage is a bonus but unrealistic.

Leatherneck

• Getbig IV
  • Still as lean, just as mean, former US Marine
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 08:35:47 AM »
Much less structured.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 08:41:52 AM »
Moderately structured. I have a general idea of what I want each training cycle, and with in it month to month,  But week to week and daily daily stuff could change a bit.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 08:45:03 AM »
only thing predetermined in the body part.  Rest is by feel.  If I'm feeling strong I'll push the weights up a little harder.  If I am getting wicked pumps I'll go higher reps.  For each body part I have about 5-6 exercises that I choose 3-4 from.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 08:47:54 AM »
I think after 10 plus years of training its obvious what you need and don't. Most here are BB's so its atleast easier to bring up or concentrate on lagging area's. As a powerlifter training for a meet I lay out 12 weeks with my 2nd attempts driving my % based numbers. I plug them in and work through the cycle. I'm pretty strict as to not taking extra weight or going for it more then I should. I'll do two high weight/high rep days on deads per cycle and then program extra heavy reverse band singles or raw weight on squats. My accessory work is much more BB based and done at higher reps. The issue is with my training, I can't miss a day or those numbers are gone. I don't miss days so I'm very careful with diet, form and injuries.
L

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 08:53:45 AM »
train totally on instinct now

and never go low reps on anything
T

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 08:53:52 AM »
Pretty much instinctual. I try to train the bodyparts or lifts I want to improve as often as they can recover from it. Which usually means every 5 days. But sometimes if I feel weak and shitty that day I'll rest that part another day or two.

Try to progress but also try to stay away from singles or low reps. Keep it above 5 reps most of the time.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 09:01:07 AM »
I still use a structured 4 day split, even after 35 years of training.

At this point, hanging on to whatever strength I have, staying in 1/2 decent shape, and not getting injured are my priorities.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 09:01:58 AM »
i don´t keep a log now.. i change round my exercises on impulse..HOWEVER i know they hit the muscle Group(s) in a similar way.  maybe DB press for chest, maybe a bar. Reps i change now and again too but generally keep to higher reps on my lower body,abs,calfs. You know your own Body. Supersets/giant sets..mix it up.

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 09:14:14 AM »
Follow strict plan! 6-7 days/week added regular cardio

More careful with food, eat less!

Progress for me is not change excercises reps volyme and all that shit the media try to teach you! Progress come with consistancy doing your shit every day year out year in.  

Lets see how far I can take it! Always looking your best is a nice thing to feel! Thats your gift when your a natty compared to the non natties! U can never fall! U got what u got so to say! 36yrs old 200 pound 6"3!

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 09:39:28 AM »
Nice pic, but points taken off for the fact it looks totally gay to be naked and the pic taken so fuckin' low. DOn't need to see that shit to know you're lean so stop with the queer bait already...

over 2 decades here and yes,structure for sure. "Those who fail don't plan to fail, they fail to plan"

3 on one off now, every thing trained every 9.5 days. LOL at all the drones who follow what they read in books in regards to how long a muscle needs to recover. Sure... If you train like most people and most people look like shit.

Even on gear.
?

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 09:47:11 AM »
only thing predetermined in the body part.  Rest is by feel.  If I'm feeling strong I'll push the weights up a little harder.  If I am getting wicked pumps I'll go higher reps.  For each body part I have about 5-6 exercises that I choose 3-4 from.

That's about what i'm doing these days.

Very instictive and i change it as i go along.  I haven't followed a strict routine in years and it makes training more enjoyable for me.

I just train hard and adjust as i go.  Some days heavier than others, but i change it up a lot.

8)

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 09:47:41 AM »
Follow strict plan! 6-7 days/week added regular cardio

More careful with food, eat less!

Progress for me is not change excercises reps volyme and all that shit the media try to teach you! Progress come with consistancy doing your shit every day year out year in.  

Lets see how far I can take it! Always looking your best is a nice thing to feel! Thats your gift when your a natty compared to the non natties! U can never fall! U got what u got so to say! 36yrs old 200 pound 6"3!

Looking good G.  The fuck is up with that shower curtain though?  Looks like some bozo the clown shit.

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 10:20:06 AM »
Looking good G.  The fuck is up with that shower curtain though?  Looks like some bozo the clown shit.

Colour is nice! Fresh baby! Its fresh :D

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
  • I need an English dictionary!
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 11:02:20 AM »
after 24 years of training and many injuries the list of exercises I can still do is becoming more short by the day.

the core of the training is more or less the same, auxiliary work, rep scheme, rest periods and order of exercises is what I vary.
North of Italy

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 11:05:16 AM »
That's about what i'm doing these days.

Very instictive and i change it as i go along.  I haven't followed a strict routine in years and it makes training more enjoyable for me.

I just train hard and adjust as i go.  Some days heavier than others, but i change it up a lot.

8)

Sometimes my workouts can be as short as 20 minutes and other days I go 1 hour and 1/2 if I have endless energy.  There are days when I hit the right nutritional window and my pumps are insane and can barely rep out what I want and others where I'm just flat but feel strong.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 11:13:55 AM »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D   53 years of training pretty structured 3 days a week all above the waist.. walking year round and swimming in summer are my only leg cardio work at this point in life...     :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
F

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
  • I need an English dictionary!
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 11:15:06 AM »
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D   53 years of training pretty structured 3 days a week all above the waist.. walking year round and swimming in summer are my only leg cardio work at this point in life...     :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

you too have problems in your knees?
North of Italy