Author Topic: I Benched 107.5 kg in Competition 3-16-08  (Read 93455 times)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: My Quest to Bench 225 in Competition
« Reply #300 on: January 02, 2008, 08:27:07 PM »
How do you hook the chains to the bar?  Could someone expain the concept of training with chains and how you would set it up?  I semi-understand.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #301 on: January 03, 2008, 02:48:36 AM »
How do you hook the chains to the bar?  Could someone expain the concept of training with chains and how you would set it up?  I semi-understand.

How about you type in chains and benchpress on youtube.

Start out with that.

Should give you a pretty good idea.
As empty as paradise

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #302 on: January 03, 2008, 04:50:13 AM »
How about you type in chains and benchpress on youtube.

Start out with that.

Should give you a pretty good idea.

Yeah figured I could do that.  But asked the question cause maybe others could learn and it might bring up good conversation and debate on the subject.  Therefore people may get some new insight or ideas. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #303 on: January 03, 2008, 05:11:00 AM »
Yeah figured I could do that.  But asked the question cause maybe others could learn and it might bring up good conversation and debate on the subject.  Therefore people may get some new insight or ideas. 

Ok.

The point is really to simulate the shirted lift, ie a lift that gets progressively lighter the lower the bar gets (the shirt stretches then).

This training will target the triceps, an interesting side effect is that you work the stabilizing muscles in the shoulders and torso as well, since the bar becomes a little more rocky.

Chains offer a more true groove when you press, ie the bar will move fairly similar to when you do the regular benchpress.

With bands, the bar is locked more into a straight up-and-down motion.

The chains offer a linear increase of the weight, ie if the bar is 5 lbs lighter after being lowered the two first inches, then it will 10 lbs lighter after lowered four inches.

Chains are easier than bands to use when squatting IMHO.
As empty as paradise

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #304 on: January 03, 2008, 05:27:07 AM »
Thanks I would think the chains would be better than bands myself.  A band stores some energy sort of.  Man I bet squatting with chains would also be very interesting.  Damn I bet if someone could rig it up right you could use them for about any body part.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #305 on: January 03, 2008, 09:20:05 AM »
Ok.

The point is really to simulate the shirted lift, ie a lift that gets progressively lighter the lower the bar gets (the shirt stretches then).

This training will target the triceps, an interesting side effect is that you work the stabilizing muscles in the shoulders and torso as well, since the bar becomes a little more rocky.

Chains offer a more true groove when you press, ie the bar will move fairly similar to when you do the regular benchpress.

With bands, the bar is locked more into a straight up-and-down motion.

The chains offer a linear increase of the weight, ie if the bar is 5 lbs lighter after being lowered the two first inches, then it will 10 lbs lighter after lowered four inches.

Chains are easier than bands to use when squatting IMHO.

Exactly.

I always had great results using chains for bench and dead lifts.

now i need to try that "hangbar bench" you showed me...looks tough.

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #306 on: January 03, 2008, 10:17:20 AM »
 8)

2008 APF Northeastern Open Bench Press

Saturday, February 23

See you there!
Times:
Competitor Check In & Weigh In: 10am-11am
Rules Briefing & Lifters Warm Up: 11:30am
Lifting: Noon

Venue:
NUTRITION 101
expanded and renovated powerlifting facility
865 Second St
Manchester, NH 03102

Divisions:
We shall offer RAW and Standard (shirted) competition for all divisions
Mens Open (114, 123, 132, 148, 165, 181, 198, 220, 242, 275, 308, SHW), *Womens Open (1 class),
*Teen(13-19), *Junior(20-23), *Submaster(33-39), *Master(40+, 50+)
*By Formula

:)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #307 on: January 03, 2008, 07:43:15 PM »
Good luck at your meet!

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #308 on: January 04, 2008, 04:32:32 AM »
Thanks TU.

I used the chains last night for the first time, and it was pretty fun. 

Funny thing happened though.  We are in the process of joining a new gym...we've been at our old gym for a few years now, and it's getting run down and gross, and the new manager is a cranky bitch.  It's always pretty empty in there, though, and they usually leave us alone and let us do whatever we want.
We were weary of bringing the chains into the new gym, so we actually decided not to bother and went over to the old gym.  They stopped us on the way in the door, and the bitchy manager was like "NO way.  I don't want you starting this stuff here because then everyone is going to start doing it.  I don't want to start something like this."    ???    ::)

So we left and went over to the new gym...they were like "Sure, no problem." 

The chains weigh 80 pounds.  I did:
-2 sets x 3 with 95 pounds on the bar
-3 sets x 3 with 115 pounds on the bar
We set the chains up so that all of the weight was off the ground at the top end, but they are on the longer side, so all of the weight was not on the ground at the bottom end.  These are borrowed chains...we have to cut and set up mine from the long piece of chain I got for Christmas.  When I do, I think I need to make the chains shorter and hang them closer to the ground, if that makes any sense.

It was pretty cool, I like working with them.  I did the sets without a spot, but I was definitely wobbly...the bar was moving back and forth a bit. 
I also did 4 sets of relatively light bicep curls and an ab workout.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #309 on: January 04, 2008, 07:38:42 PM »
Thanks TU.

I used the chains last night for the first time, and it was pretty fun. 

Funny thing happened though.  We are in the process of joining a new gym...we've been at our old gym for a few years now, and it's getting run down and gross, and the new manager is a cranky bitch.  It's always pretty empty in there, though, and they usually leave us alone and let us do whatever we want.
We were weary of bringing the chains into the new gym, so we actually decided not to bother and went over to the old gym.  They stopped us on the way in the door, and the bitchy manager was like "NO way.  I don't want you starting this stuff here because then everyone is going to start doing it.  I don't want to start something like this."    ???    ::)

So we left and went over to the new gym...they were like "Sure, no problem." 

The chains weigh 80 pounds.  I did:
-2 sets x 3 with 95 pounds on the bar
-3 sets x 3 with 115 pounds on the bar
We set the chains up so that all of the weight was off the ground at the top end, but they are on the longer side, so all of the weight was not on the ground at the bottom end.  These are borrowed chains...we have to cut and set up mine from the long piece of chain I got for Christmas.  When I do, I think I need to make the chains shorter and hang them closer to the ground, if that makes any sense.

It was pretty cool, I like working with them.  I did the sets without a spot, but I was definitely wobbly...the bar was moving back and forth a bit. 
I also did 4 sets of relatively light bicep curls and an ab workout.

All you want to do is set them up so the chains are completely deloaded at the bottom.  Leave a few links on the grpund at the top too if you value your shoulders!

Jason

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #310 on: January 05, 2008, 01:47:27 PM »
All you want to do is set them up so the chains are completely deloaded at the bottom.  Leave a few links on the grpund at the top too if you value your shoulders!

Jason

Cool thanks.  Our piece of chain is 12 feet, so we can cut it perfect for my size.   8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #311 on: January 05, 2008, 01:55:17 PM »
I did a shirt workout today, despite being sick with a cold.  I'm not feeling terrible, but definitely coughing and sneezing, and not 100%.  However, the shirt workout was kick ass, the best one I've done yet.  I did all of the reps by myself, and they were pretty clean for the most part.  I wasn't all over the place, and they felt pretty good.
(I did use the boards with the shirt, they really help as I cannot touch the bar to my chest yet.)

3 board 195 pounds x 2
2 board 195 x 2
2 board 205 x 2
2 board 205 x 2
2 board 215 x 2
2 board 215 x 2
1 board 195 x 1
1 board 195 x 2

I was gonna end with one really heavy rep on the 3 board, but I was totally pooped out at this point, and my shoulders were starting to hurt.  ALL of the sets went well, at least from my perspective.

After that, I ate a double cheeseburger  ;D, went and signed up at a new gym, and did my rotator cuff work - 3 sets x 15 reps.
More good news is that I'm down 4 pounds since the meet I did in early November, and I haven't really been trying to lose weight.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #312 on: January 05, 2008, 04:21:59 PM »
I did a shirt workout today, despite being sick with a cold.  I'm not feeling terrible, but definitely coughing and sneezing, and not 100%.  However, the shirt workout was kick ass, the best one I've done yet.  I did all of the reps by myself, and they were pretty clean for the most part.  I wasn't all over the place, and they felt pretty good.
(I did use the boards with the shirt, they really help as I cannot touch the bar to my chest yet.)

3 board 195 pounds x 2
2 board 195 x 2
2 board 205 x 2
2 board 205 x 2
2 board 215 x 2
2 board 215 x 2
1 board 195 x 1
1 board 195 x 2

I was gonna end with one really heavy rep on the 3 board, but I was totally pooped out at this point, and my shoulders were starting to hurt.  ALL of the sets went well, at least from my perspective.

After that, I ate a double cheeseburger  ;D, went and signed up at a new gym, and did my rotator cuff work - 3 sets x 15 reps.
More good news is that I'm down 4 pounds since the meet I did in early November, and I haven't really been trying to lose weight.

that's a well deserved double cheeseburger, hope it was a good one and not a little candy ass Mickey D's double. :D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #313 on: January 08, 2008, 08:01:11 AM »
No light workout early this week, I've been sick in bed for two days with a terrible cold.  I'm glad I got that shirt workout in, but I went downhill pretty quickly afterwards.  Going to the doctor today and praying that I don't have pneumonia...my husband was sick with it for a month recently. 

OH and it was a double cheeseburger from Wendy's, not that much better.   :P

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #314 on: January 09, 2008, 01:18:37 PM »
No light workout early this week, I've been sick in bed for two days with a terrible cold.  I'm glad I got that shirt workout in, but I went downhill pretty quickly afterwards.  Going to the doctor today and praying that I don't have pneumonia...my husband was sick with it for a month recently. 

OH and it was a double cheeseburger from Wendy's, not that much better.   :P

Wendy's burgers are a million times better than McDonald's. :D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #315 on: January 09, 2008, 04:58:07 PM »
Wendy's burgers are a million times better than McDonald's. :D

Hell, yeah... too bad you don't have an In and Out up there in the NE states.

White Castle isn't so bad though.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #316 on: January 09, 2008, 05:06:08 PM »
Hell, yeah... too bad you don't have an In and Out up there in the NE states.

White Castle isn't so bad though.

Not many White Castle's left around here.  My husband looooooooves Sonic, but we don't have them up here.  We eat alot of Sonic when we visit Nashville, it's a tradition.   ;D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #317 on: January 09, 2008, 05:14:07 PM »

Not many White Castle's left around here.  My husband looooooooves Sonic, but we don't have them up here.  We eat alot of Sonic when we visit Nashville, it's a tradition.   ;D

Sonic is also a pretty good stop... They have bomb ass shakes.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #318 on: January 12, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
here's some motivation Rip.

&feature=related

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #319 on: January 12, 2008, 10:40:42 PM »
here's some motivation Rip.

something aint right....

that wieght's moving damn near sideways on it's way up

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #320 on: January 13, 2008, 06:31:19 PM »
I dunno....  She moves the weight better than me right now for sure. 
BIG girl!    :o

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #321 on: January 13, 2008, 06:45:50 PM »
I did a shirt workout yesterday, after being sick most of the week.  I didn't do anything this week except back on Friday evening.  And then the shirt workout Sat.

I replaced the big belt I was using with just a little rope drawstring belt from my dress closet lol.  It made a huge difference with the boards because now the boards weren't resting on the belt.  All of a sudden, hitting the 2 board was a lot further down.
For whatever reason, the shirt felt a ton tighter on my chest and arms yesterday versus last week.  I must have been retaining water.  ::)

I was feeling maybe 80% for this workout.  I started with 205 and planned on going up, but I was struggling with 205.  The belt made a huge difference.

3 board 205 x 2
2 board 205 x 2
1 board 205 x 1 (this one didn't go very well, the next sets were progressively better)
1 board 205 x 1
1 board 205 x 1
Then I dropped it to 185 and tried to touch my chest.  I didn't get it to touch, I was about an inch or so away. 
The shirt bit me HARD all around my underarms (on my chest and triceps)...I have these dark purple lines and bruises across my chest and on the underside of my arms.   :P

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #322 on: January 13, 2008, 07:02:39 PM »
I have these dark purple lines and bruises across my chest and on the underside of my arms.   :P

Pics  ???

;D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #323 on: January 14, 2008, 10:09:06 AM »
Pics  ???

;D

haha it ain't very pretty.  No permanent damage though.   :D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #324 on: January 15, 2008, 04:16:31 AM »
Short and sweet speed workout last night, very light. 
Assuming my 1RM is somewhere around 180 right now, 60% is 118, so I went with 120. 

(EDIT: I just realized that I did the math wrong...60% of 180 is 108, so I prolly could have gone a little lighter.   ::))

5 sets 120 x 2.  Nice, long pause at the chest, and as much speed off the bottom as I could.
3 sets rotator cuff x 15
2 sets light DB bicep curls x 12
2 sets crunches, 2 sets leglifts (dreaded!  :P)