Author Topic: Aussie press conference  (Read 16346 times)

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
Re: Aussie press conference
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2013, 03:03:47 AM »
Me too , o man daily casual gym membership from Parramattas PCYC to Moores City gym,JJ's Broadway to Grahams place.
No fuckin' 20 pages gym contracts like now,no 25 mega TV's on the walls, no music,no mobiles,pussy lycra was medicine
for eyes (& hard on  :D),time of Gold's/World gym singlet, no air-cons,no poofs,............
Meeting-observing-training with:Mentzers,Sergio,Buchanan,Platz,Metz,Haney,Tinerino,Walker,MitsosJurky,,,,,,,,wrestlers like Bulldogs,
Steamboat,Macho Man,SD ,,,,,,,,,,,,,lifters like Suleymanoglu,hanging on the Coogee beach with Marrickville Mauler.......
Assisting great Reg Park in Chatswood Space gym on leg press in Dec.1999 (Reg daughter was living there, on annual return
from California were was his son Jon Jon living) & Reg's story about Arnolds political aspirations ( ;D), assisting Straydom
benching in Riley Street gym..............
Chatting with pro rugby boys (what is the best  ;)) at legendary Dr.T.M. sports institute or Macquarie St., location were was everyone gettin' prescription
in 5 secs,then heading to Kings Cross chemist to buy Lonavar,Deca,Primobolan..........
Popping to Cross on Saturdays, Porkys strip shows  :D  & 'epic' scenes with Helmut Crncich (Samson) & Joy Dobson (fuckin huge pussy)
Crncich defeated Arnold several times in Austrian contest, really mad Croat ..........

Yeah, leather pants were good (but bloody hot) for picking chicks at massive singles scenes ...............

Epic post, I love it.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2013, 03:15:53 AM »
Unfortunately some of mentioned names a not with us anymore.
I remember meeting big Jurky Savolainen at his 1st Australian PBBI contest
& small Joe Pavlich (Mr.Australia short) imitating him on Dallas Brooks Hall stage.
He was 1 giant Viking & adored hot climate, I was told that he was killed in
car accident 7 years ago while visiting Sweden.

Mr.Australia,Mr.Hawaii International RIP

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2013, 03:26:13 AM »
remember Riva, Byblos and DCM's...

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2013, 10:52:11 AM »
remember Riva, Byblos and DCM's...

Sugar reef, I used to stay at the back door lotel just near the cross when in town to train.

Jyrki was a good friend for many years met him same time as big Tony Russel, caught up with him in venice a few times over the years as well,

AVBG

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2013, 12:22:32 PM »
Yeah Steve K had a great upper body but no legs?....... no calves for sure! Trained at his gym in Cabramatta - surprisingly called "Steve's Gym'. Good equipment and atmosphere. His brother Tony trained there a bit too.

I remember that place well - across the road from the cabra station, aslo the cabra pcyc and bodyworks gym Fairfield.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2013, 01:20:41 PM »
I remember that place well - across the road from the cabra station, aslo the cabra pcyc and bodyworks gym Fairfield.

Metropolis,Julianas,Black Market (until bang,bang) & those hellfire nights  ;D

AVBG

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2013, 01:50:12 PM »
Metropolis,Julianas,Black Market (until bang,bang) & those hellfire nights  ;D

Kinsellas was good spot in the early nineties

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2013, 02:54:40 PM »
I started buying mags in early 1982 when I was 12 or so.  I saw Frank Zane on the TV show Hart to Hart and got the bug. Muscle Australia mag was awesome way better than the crappy muscle and fitness Paul Graham put out.

Didn't Rocco go broke when the gov changed some rule regarding supplements and he was left with a warehouse full of product he couldn't sell? That was the official reason anyway.

Sonny Schmidt went from a middleweight intermediate to heavyweight Mr Australia in one year I remember.

Rocco is still aroound, we did a special on him on Muscle TV this year.

As for Sonny, I remember that like yesterday. He was 79kg in the Mr Melbourne show and walked out 16 weeks later at 96kg and won the Australia.
He did his first cycle put on 17kg (37lb) of contest weight in 16 weeks and it only cost him $150. When he walked out that night the place went nuts, he was very popular and Rocco's shows were epic.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2013, 03:31:28 PM »
I just watched it on YouTube. Never heard him talk before was surprised how ocker he is.

AVBG

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2013, 04:43:13 PM »
Rocco is why (one of the reasons) TD's standards for his shows are so high.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2013, 04:56:35 PM »

Not really mate, I know what you are trying to say, but my standards are high for a number of reasons, mostly because that is what I expect of myself.

I actually competed in Rocco's shows when I was very young. What he did well, was packed his shows out and made stars out of people.
His magazine was good for the time and he used that, the shows and his gym in synergy as a well oiled machine.

I learned a lot from watching him and others along the way and always seeing what I could do bigger and better.
Don't know that he had high standards but I do know that he was a smart bloke and a good promoter.

O.Z.

• Getbig IV
  • Team Swimmers
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2013, 05:40:56 PM »
used to read this in 90'
Adrian and the other  guy, forgot his name, he was a powelifter I believe, always pissing at each other. Some funny shit.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2013, 09:56:26 PM »
Kinsellas was good spot in the early nineties

yes before poofs, now is co-own by john singleton (surprise,surprise)

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2013, 10:01:36 PM »

Where is Roccos PBBI buddy Frank Burwash !.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2013, 10:27:03 PM »
Where is Roccos PBBI buddy Frank Burwash !.

He died a few years back. Probably mid to late 90s. I used to call him Carwash.

He taught me a lot about the industry in early 90s.
Frank was on the road selling Rocco's supplements and would call in and see me in my old gym in the country. (Bendigo)
He always had time for me and would suggest ways to make money and keep the doors open. He taught me more about the gym industry than anyone back then.
I liked him a lot, real gentleman.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2013, 10:59:50 PM »

:'( :'( :'(  & good MC on PBBI contests.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2016, 05:31:41 PM »
Adrian Chronis passed away this week age 49.

Not the best genetics for bbing but he was one of the hardest trainers in Sydney back in the 90's and won the Australasians in 91 I think.

Guy trained like an animal.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2016, 10:34:19 AM »
Very sad to hear about Adrian, I have trained all around the world and in the 90s where training actually meant something to body builders, he trained as hard as anyone I've ever seen anywhere, RIP

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2016, 03:13:04 PM »
Great thread & Great stories.
Keep them going.
A Refreshing change on Getbig.
Well done the Aussie lads.