Author Topic: Aussie press conference  (Read 16395 times)

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
Re: Aussie press conference
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 01:09:18 PM »
I think they will feature SS as a bodybuilder/meathead rather than a Mr Olympia contender. I base this on the fact that they were casting guys about 100lb lighter than the great man SS

Probably like "Bike War" where one of top 3 was acted by much much shorter & smaller actor.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 01:12:41 PM »
Just stay off Oxford St.

My 1st gym in Sydney on Oxford is now poofs place, sucks  >:(

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 01:27:08 PM »
Russell was by far one of the strongest people I have ever seen. His press behind necks were talked about everywhere. Fucking big neck too, apparently hit pretty hard.

I was pretty close to Terry back then. He was a good bodybuilder and had a mad following in Sydney. Then he slowly dropped off and I have not seen him at a show in many years.

Could not forget Greekos training at J.J.'s  place with T.Labruna & another Italian guy,needle before training then smoko
breaks after every 3-4 sets, now every day around 6am TM seats outside his gym & smokes.
Never understand why he didn't continue after winning Mr.World ?.
Once on Oxford him & 7 other 'greeks' smashed bunch of bouncers.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 02:17:19 PM »
Could not forget Greekos training at J.J.'s  place with T.Labruna & another Italian guy,needle before training then smoko
breaks after every 3-4 sets, now every day around 6am TM seats outside his gym & smokes.
Never understand why he didn't continue after winning Mr.World ?.
Once on Oxford him & 7 other 'greeks' smashed bunch of bouncers.

He got his pro card and did a couple of shows in the USA then just faded away. Always wondered how it all played out. We were tight for a while.

O.Z.

• Getbig IV
  • Team Swimmers
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 03:06:23 PM »
At Mitsos place  ;) ?.

what is Terry up to these days?

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »
Mitsos was a massive pothead besides smoking cigarettes.

Any of you guys ever see Adrian Chronis train legs in the mid 90's? That was the most impressive thing I ever saw in a gym.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 05:11:43 PM »

Any of you guys ever see Adrian Chronis train legs in the mid 90's? That was the most impressive thing I ever saw in a gym.

I remember Chronis but never saw him train. That whole Sydney scene was crazy back then.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 06:00:09 PM »
I trained with Adrian a few times on my visits to Sydney, not the best physique but was immensely strong, great time to train in city gym back then, lots of real good aussie physiques, Scionti Townsend Chronis, Big Alex,OGrady,Duca and up and coming Luke wood and many others and how can we forget the Grundy show, thats where it all started, Guy was a real character thats for sure, city gym Sydney in the 90s was great.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 06:40:13 PM »
There were some awesome gyms in sydney back then.

I knew Adrian more from Terilli's gym in Newtown. That was an awesome gym from 1993-1998.

John was such a strange dude though. His wife would walk around saying "he's fucked in the head" all the time.

Terilli was amazing though. In 1994 he was way out of shape and then he trained for about 4 months and won the NABBA pro universe like it was nothing.

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 07:57:22 PM »
didnt Mick Scionti make a comeback in 2007?

did some Perth pro qualifier show run my Mick o mara in 2007, got 2nd behind a natural mr O from bali?

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 08:03:46 PM »
There were some awesome gyms in sydney back then.

I knew Adrian more from Terilli's gym in Newtown. That was an awesome gym from 1993-1998.

John was such a strange dude though. His wife would walk around saying "he's fucked in the head" all the time.

Terilli was amazing though. In 1994 he was way out of shape and then he trained for about 4 months and won the NABBA pro universe like it was nothing.

There was always a rivalry between John and Terry.
They would run into each other in night clubs and have posedowns in the bathrooms, each group with their own posse clambering to cheer on their favorite. A nice blend of Greeks, Italians and Lebs.

John has always been a strange cat.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 08:48:11 PM »
Tony,

Looks like Mitsos still has his gym just changed the name.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Probody-Fitness/437304906368795?rf=167814656582567

RagingBull

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 09:21:13 PM »
Subtitles please...can't make out what he says 1/2 way into it.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2013, 10:13:20 PM »
Terilli stole 1 copy of Muscle Elegance mag from me  >:(
Con Dimitriu too, his Kent St dancing gym  ::) oh god .

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2013, 10:21:26 PM »
P.B.B.I. contests were good time in Oz's BB history  ;D almost weekly contests  :)
Anyone remembers PBBI Mr.Universe ?.
Muscle Australia was the best local magz ever  :'(
How is Rocco now ?.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2013, 10:29:58 PM »
I started buying mags in early 1982 when I was 12 or so.  I saw Frank Zane on the TV show Hart to Hart and got the bug. Muscle Australia mag was awesome way better than the crappy muscle and fitness Paul Graham put out.

Didn't Rocco go broke when the gov changed some rule regarding supplements and he was left with a warehouse full of product he couldn't sell? That was the official reason anyway.

Sonny Schmidt went from a middleweight intermediate to heavyweight Mr Australia in one year I remember.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2013, 10:31:38 PM »
Chris Dean was an awesome bodybuilder from that era too.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 11:14:14 PM »
Chris Dean was an awesome bodybuilder from that era too.

O yes, never ending PBBI  duels Chris vs Milton Hadjigeorgiu (& those tattoos  ::))
Richard Jonker was good & so close to Ifbb Mr.Universe title.
Steve Kandarakis upper body was Mr.Universe class , but his legs  :P

mong

• Getbig II
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 11:31:44 PM »
Yeah Steve K had a great upper body but no legs?....... no calves for sure! Trained at his gym in Cabramatta - surprisingly called "Steve's Gym'. Good equipment and atmosphere. His brother Tony trained there a bit too.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2013, 12:27:00 AM »
My training partner arranged for me to stay with Tony my first time competing in Sydney, I trained with both him and Russel at city gym , 3 years later Big Tonys been dumbelled to death in jail, Russ been shot survived and was up on murder, you have to laugh when you see the soft cocks in the gym bodybuilding scene these days. The 90s were crazy in Sydney.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2013, 12:32:40 AM »

I trained legs with him spewed twice, he was an animal, never seen anyone leg press as much as him and on Bills old shitty leg press, not the icarian cybex luxury machines of today.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2013, 01:11:14 AM »
the 90's was the best time in Sydney, shootings, characters like danny karam, awesome club scene, there was no filter, someone like you or did not.

I missed the 90's leather pants and all.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2013, 02:10:39 AM »
the 90's was the best time in Sydney, shootings, characters like danny karam, awesome club scene, there was no filter, someone like you or did not.

I missed the 90's leather pants and all.

Me too , o man daily casual gym membership from Parramattas PCYC to Moores City gym,JJ's Broadway to Grahams place.
No fuckin' 20 pages gym contracts like now,no 25 mega TV's on the walls, no music,no mobiles,pussy lycra was medicine
for eyes (& hard on  :D),time of Gold's/World gym singlet, no air-cons,no poofs,............
Meeting-observing-training with:Mentzers,Sergio,Buchanan,Platz,Metz,Haney,Tinerino,Walker,MitsosJurky,,,,,,,,wrestlers like Bulldogs,
Steamboat,Macho Man,SD ,,,,,,,,,,,,,lifters like Suleymanoglu,hanging on the Coogee beach with Marrickville Mauler.......
Assisting great Reg Park in Chatswood Space gym on leg press in Dec.1999 (Reg daughter was living there, on annual return
from California were was his son Jon Jon living) & Reg's story about Arnolds political aspirations ( ;D), assisting Straydom
benching in Riley Street gym..............
Chatting with pro rugby boys (what is the best  ;)) at legendary Dr.T.M. sports institute or Macquarie St., location were was everyone gettin' prescription
in 5 secs,then heading to Kings Cross chemist to buy Lonavar,Deca,Primobolan..........
Popping to Cross on Saturdays, Porkys strip shows  :D  & 'epic' scenes with Helmut Crncich (Samson) & Joy Dobson (fuckin huge pussy)
Crncich defeated Arnold several times in Austrian contest, really mad Croat ..........

Yeah, leather pants were good (but bloody hot) for picking chicks at massive singles scenes ...............

mong

• Getbig II
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2013, 02:40:50 AM »
Hey TK u know wat happened to Joy Dobson? Any stories abt her. Was a a bit of fan I must admit.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2013, 02:53:43 AM »
Hey TK u know wat happened to Joy Dobson? Any stories abt her. Was a a bit of fan I must admit.

She was promoting that shit "Church of Scientology" on Park & Elizabeth streets corner  for years
I think until 2000 (??).That was after Cross job.

Yes she was good, Carol Graham hated her so much.
Where is she now,  ???.
At North Bondi beach she use to arm wrestle guy's, it was so hilarious.
Helmut Crncich probably still debates on Sundays at the NSW Gallery.