Author Topic: No college  (Read 17009 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: No college
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2014, 09:58:50 PM »
I did not go to college in fact I did not even do great in high school cause I had no interest, the funny thing is  now I am making more money then a lot of my friends who went to college and  got their degrees, now they are stuck with student loans that they got to pay off while I am debt free, the education system is nothing but a rip off.

You and how many others? Statistics suggest otherwise.
For those who question the value of college in this era of soaring student debt and high unemployment, the attitudes and experiences of today’s young adults—members of the so-called Millennial generation—provide a compelling answer. On virtually every measure of economic well-being and career attainment—from personal earnings to job satisfaction to the share employed full time—young college graduates are outperforming their peers with less education. And when today’s young adults are compared with previous generations, the disparity in economic outcomes between college graduates and those with a high school diploma or less formal schooling has never been greater in the modern era

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2014/02/11/the-rising-cost-of-not-going-to-college/

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2014, 10:00:16 PM »
Its fine if you do not go to college, but you better at least know a trade.

If you do not want to go to college, and you have no good technical skills (electrician, carpentry, plumbing), you're shit out of luck.

In the worse case scenario, get a 2 year degree and become a cop.  :D :D
X

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2014, 10:06:35 PM »
Its fine if you do not go to college, but you better at least know a trade.

If you do not want to go to college, and you have no good technical skills (electrician, carpentry, plumbing), you're shit out of luck.

In the worse case scenario, get a 2 year degree and become a cop.  :D :D

You just don't aim to be the trade laborer but aim to be the trade owner (contractor). I know MANY successful contractors that have no college that make just as much as a seasoned doctor or attorney with large practices or firms. These people have a great business sense that didn't require a degree. The problem is people aim too low in life.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2014, 10:07:24 PM »
Keep talking.

It's not a very interesting story, I cut a boring generic management BA short to make Vidya Games back at the end of 90's when online gaming was first taking off.

15 years later I'm still doing the same thing. My company got me a high skill 'Nobel prize class' Green Card because they showed I can generate corporate America millions of dollars.

Some people I work with went to Harvard, some barely finished high school. There's no real correlation between qualifications and talent in this industry

Of course I'll never be rich by bay area standards doing this... but I can come into work at 11 wearing sweatpants, own a nice house on the hill, 2 cars and eat sushi every day so it's all good. Wouldn't change a thing if I could redo it all

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2014, 10:08:52 PM »
This being said, most who went to college have all the book smarts in the world but have ZERO commonsense and ZERO street smarts.

This is an overstatement. More accurately, some folks who went to college have book smarts....but lack commonsense. Street smarts have less to do with formal education and more to do with the environment they grew up in.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2014, 10:10:06 PM »
You just don't aim to be the trade laborer but aim to be the trade owner (contractor). I know MANY successful contractors that have no college that make just as much as a seasoned doctor or attorney with large practices or firms. These people have a great business sense that didn't require a degree.
Yes. Yes. And you haven't read a book in the last year. We get it. Sarah Palin Play-Doh stuff. Revel in it.  :-\

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2014, 10:14:58 PM »
Painfully sober tonight, I'm afraid.  You knows us blue collas.  It's an abserantstant state!

Abserantstant?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2014, 10:18:46 PM »
You just don't aim to be the trade laborer but aim to be the trade owner (contractor). I know MANY successful contractors that have no college that make just as much as a seasoned doctor or attorney with large practices or firms. These people have a great business sense that didn't require a degree. The problem is people aim too low in life.

Dude, what are you talking about? So if you do not become a trade owner, you're aiming too low?  ::) ::) So all those workers who lay pipe or do electricity or drive trucks are aiming too low?  ::) ::) Oh brotha. Some people are very happy being a union guy and making a very good living. I have many people in my family who are truck drivers or electricians or carpenters who made a good living and lived happily and they did not own the company. Are you saying they aimed too low? Maybe they did not want to be a business owner.

Stop assuming that just because you own a business that everyone else should in order to be happy. Can you ever just sit back and put yourself in someone else's shoes without trying to instill your own values and trying to make yourself seem right?
X

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2014, 10:20:04 PM »
sf1900 never went to college and he's the smartest guy I know.  ;D

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2014, 10:21:14 PM »
sf1900 never went to college and he's the smartest guy I know.  ;D

You got that right, broskie.  ;D ;D
X

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2014, 10:22:03 PM »
You got that right, broskie.  ;D ;D

haha...  ;D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2014, 10:25:21 PM »
Yes. Yes. And you haven't read a book in the last year. We get it. Sarah Palin Play-Doh stuff. Revel in it.  :-\

I forgot that you're a liberal. Success and capitalism elude you.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »
Dude, what are you talking about? So if you do not become a trade owner, you're aiming too low?  ::) ::) So all those workers who lay pipe or do electricity or drive trucks are aiming too low?  ::) ::) Oh brotha. Some people are very happy being a union guy and making a very good living. I have many people in my family who are truck drivers or electricians or carpenters who made a good living and lived happily and they did not own the company. Are you saying they aimed too low? Maybe they did not want to be a business owner.

Stop assuming that just because you own a business that everyone else should in order to be happy. Can you ever just sit back and put yourself in someone else's shoes without trying to instill your own values and trying to make yourself seem right?

Not at all, if their happy with the status quo then more power to them. Nothing wrong with that. But if they aim higher, it's there for the taking. It all depends on how hard you're willing to work and what your goals are.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2014, 10:33:40 PM »
I forgot that you're a liberal. Success and capitalism elude you.
Ah, yes. I forgot. Labeling, and bank-rolling people can make you feel better as a citizen. Man, you make a puddle look shallow. 

/ps. you  forgot religion. and guns. and religion.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2014, 10:36:09 PM »
Not at all, if their happy with the status quo then more power to them. Nothing wrong with that. But if they aim higher, it's there for the taking. It all depends on how hard you're willing to work and what your goals are.

The status quo is subjective. Your status quo is not someone else's status quo. Please, define "status quo" for me. Because I can guarantee you that its a subjective answer. Is status quo just making the bare minimum in terms of income? Or is the status quo just being somewhat happy?

A guy may be an electrician and make 90K a year and not be a trader owner. This may be quite different than when he grew up dead, broke poor. I know someone who grew up poor. I mean, living in shelters. He became an electrician for a company. He is not the owner, but he can pull close to 100K with overtime. This is not the status quo to him. In his eyes, he made it, especially from where he came from.

I knew another guy who worked on wall street and was making crazy bank. He left the job to become a mental health worker. Huge cut in pay but he loves his job now. One would say that he went from being above the status quo (working on wall street) to the status quo (just being a mental health worker). In his eyes, he is actually making more of a difference and probably sees himself above what he was before. In fact, his current job is even more stressful and demanding and he works just as hard.

Again, your status quo is not everyone else's status quo. Your values and what you define as happiness does not equate to everyone elses.

So are you saying that aiming higher = more hard work? There are many people who bust their ass doing manual labor who never aim higher to become the owners. Are you saying they do not work hard in 100 degree weather or 5 degree weather year around?

Because it seems like you're saying:

People that aim higher are harder workers and better.

People that are happy where they are at are not hard workers and below others.

You come off sounding like a real douchebag.
X

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2014, 10:36:46 PM »
Ah, yes. I forgot. Labeling, and bank-rolling people can make you feel better as a citizen. Man, you make a puddle look shallow. 

/ps. you  forgot religion. and guns. and religion.

Are bank rolling words for creating jobs? Just wondering. Or do you think it's better to enable people to be lazy and kill dreams. You can answer slowly if you wish.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2014, 10:39:34 PM »
Are bank rolling words for creating jobs? Just wondering. Or do you think it's better to enable people to be lazy and kill dreams. You can answer slowly if you wish.

Enable people to be lazy and kill dreams? What the fuck is wrong with you? So laying pipe in 100 degree weather and working your ass of is enabling people who are lazy because they do not want to be trade owners? Man, you really come off sounding like one of those rich, self-entitled pricks.

The problem with you Coach is you equate happiness and hard work with being a millionaire and business owner.

And all those people who bust their ass each day are just lazy, assholes who cant make it because they do not want to work hard.
X

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2014, 10:40:55 PM »
The status quo is subjective. Your status quo is not someone else's status quo. Please, define "status quo" for me. Because I can guarantee you that its a subjective answer. Is status quo just making the bare minimum in terms of income? Or is the status quo just being somewhat happy?

A guy may be an electrician and make 90K a year and not be a trader owner. This may be quite different than when he grew up dead, broke poor. I know someone who grew up poor. I mean, living in shelters. He became an electrician for a company. He is not the owner, but he can pull close to 100K with overtime. This is not the status quo to him. In his eyes, he made it, especially from where he came from.

I knew another guy who worked on wall street and was making crazy bank. He left the job to become a mental health worker. Huge cut in pay but he loves his job now. One would say that he went from being above the status quo (working on wall street) to the status quo (just being a mental health worker). In his eyes, he is actually making more of a difference and probably sees himself above what he was before. In fact, his current job is even more stressful and demanding and he works just as hard.

Again, your status quo is not everyone else's status quo. Your values and what you define as happiness does not equate to everyone elses.

So are you saying that aiming higher = more hard work? There are many people who bust their ass doing manual labor who never aim higher to become the owners. Are you saying they do not work hard in 100 degree weather or 5 degree weather year around?

Because it seems like you're saying:

People that aim higher are harder workers and better.

People that are happy where they are at are not hard workers and below others.

You come off sounding like a real douchebag.

I will address this more to you In person because of the nature of our friendship in our past discussions. But to put this in layman's terms, are you happy being in a dead end job and reaching your maximum potential for advancement?  

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2014, 10:42:30 PM »

Enable people to be lazy and kill dreams? What the fuck is wrong with you? So laying pipe in 100 degree weather and working your ass of is enabling people who are lazy because they do not want to be trade owners? Man, you really come off sounding like one of those rich, self-entitled pricks.

The problem with you Coach is you equate happiness and hard work with being a millionaire and business owner.

And all those people who bust their ass each day are just lazy, assholes who cant make it because they do not want to work hard.

Just think of where this country would be without the wealthy.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2014, 10:42:35 PM »
Hmm. Harsh words coming from a former drug addict.  Probably reneged on a family request for cash, I'm figuring.   :-\  

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2014, 10:42:57 PM »
I will address this more to you In person because of the nature of our friendship in our past discussions. But to put this in layman's terms, are you happy being in a dead end job and reaching your maximum potential for advancement?  

What's a dead end job? My dad drove a truck for 38 years and supported his family. He never become the owner of his company but he was happy doing what he was doing. He supported a family. Food on the table, nice house, all bills paid. Are you saying that my pops wasn't happy because he was in a dead end job and never went up the ladder. Go fuck yourself, you rick entitled prick who looks down on others because they never become CEO.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2014, 10:45:09 PM »
Just think of where this country would be without the wealthy.

Yeah, no fucking shit that this country needs wealthy people. Fucking brilliant. I already know this.

The problem is that youre saying these wealthy people are better and harder workers than someone who is just a manual labor. You may not being saying this directly, but youre saying it indirectly.

This is what youre basically saying:

Hard workers, succcessful, and happy = CEOs and millionaires.

Lazy, not wanting their dreams, unhappy = manual laborers, etc.
X

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2014, 10:45:32 PM »
Hmm. Harsh words coming from a former drug addict.  Probably reneged on a family request for cash, I'm figuring.   :-\  

Hitting hard with something that ended some 25 years ago. Sorry, I don't like sitting on my ass and waiting for things to happen. I prefer to make them happen.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2014, 10:46:03 PM »

sf1900 doesn't take kindly to disrespect. not on the internet, not in person, not in a grocery store parking lot, not in like at walmart, not in a restaurant, not at the beach, not at the dry cleaners... anywhere.

ppl talk about the 'pussyfication' of America, yet they run their mouths thinking they won't get slapped and get their arm broken in front of their friends.

spent many yrs in a place where if you talk slick and say something out of line to somebody, you know that when you say it, you better be ready for what happens. most ppl here in the 'real world', aren't ready for what could happen.. and run their mouths like the world is a make believe cartoon. despite wearing nice slacks, polished shoes and a nice shirt, the guy you steal that parking spot from at the grocery store and proceed to flip off, may have just gotten out of prison and will have no problem identifying they bitch in you and proceed to teach you a lesson by taking you down to the ground and kicking out your teeth before you even know what happened.

the guy who's willing to go the furthest, wins. if you're not willing to go all the way, it's best you keep your mouth shut and move on, and make it to the next day.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2014, 10:47:46 PM »
sf1900 doesn't take kindly to disrespect. not on the internet, not in person, not in a grocery store parking lot, not in like at walmart, not in a restaurant, not at the beach, not at the dry cleaners... anywhere.

ppl talk about the 'pussyfication' of America, yet they run their mouths thinking they won't get slapped and get their arm broken in front of their friends.

spent many yrs in a place where if you talk slick and say something out of line to somebody, you know that when you say it, you better be ready for what happens. most ppl here in the 'real world', aren't ready for what could happen.. and run their mouths like the world is a make believe cartoon. despite wearing nice slacks, polished shoes and a nice shirt, the guy you steal that parking spot from at the grocery store and proceed to flip off, may have just gotten out of prison and will have no problem identifying they bitch in you and proceed to teach you a lesson by taking you down to the ground and kicking out your teeth before you even know what happened.

the guy who's willing to go the furthest, wins. if you're not willing to go all the way, it's best you keep your mouth shut and move on, and make it to the next day.

haha lol. That quote is almost as good as the "Father and sons" quote by Uberman  ;D ;D
X