Author Topic: I no longer believe in "overtraining"  (Read 11774 times)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
I no longer believe in "overtraining"
« on: August 29, 2013, 07:20:26 AM »
As I ruptured my achilles tendon 4 weeks ago, I have been working out 6x/week with a pure upper-body-only workout. Now, watching my shitty legs actually whither is a humbling experience, but I have learned something interesting about so-called "overtraining" in my upper body. I am working out each muscle group in my upper body 3x/week (I use a push/pull split) and I was worried about overtraining, so I was taking it easy every other workout. For the last few weeks though, I have been going to failure with increasing weights each and every day. My body, far from crying uncle, is actually responding and I am getting stronger/leaner and (hopefully) bigger. Now, I am (for now) a complete natty and have a fairly dialed in diet (175-250g protein/day, low carbs, etc -- not ready YET Gal/NoOne). And have been getting at least 8 hours of sleep a night (it's hard to do anything with a single leg and crutches).

I always believed in overtraining, but it was likely that I was just falling off somewhere else (sleep, nutrition).

Once i get my leg back, I am going to just go bonkers with a 3day push/pill/legs split. Fuck overtraining.

K1RB

• Getbig III
Re: I no longer believe in "overtraining"
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 07:26:42 AM »
There is no such thing as overtraining...
Avoid injury , and train everyday that you can.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 07:42:23 AM »
Absolutely overtraining exists...no matter what CT Fletcher says. lol

stavios

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 07:59:39 AM »
there is such thing as overtraining, but no bodybuilder trains hard or long enough to enter that state

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 08:10:55 AM »
First it would be useful to define overtraining.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 08:33:31 AM »
As I ruptured my achilles tendon 4 weeks ago, I have been working out 6x/week with a pure upper-body-only workout. Now, watching my shitty legs actually whither is a humbling experience, but I have learned something interesting about so-called "overtraining" in my upper body. I am working out each muscle group in my upper body 3x/week (I use a push/pull split) and I was worried about overtraining, so I was taking it easy every other workout. For the last few weeks though, I have been going to failure with increasing weights each and every day. My body, far from crying uncle, is actually responding and I am getting stronger/leaner and (hopefully) bigger. Now, I am (for now) a complete natty and have a fairly dialed in diet (175-250g protein/day, low carbs, etc -- not ready YET Gal/NoOne). And have been getting at least 8 hours of sleep a night (it's hard to do anything with a single leg and crutches).

I always believed in overtraining, but it was likely that I was just falling off somewhere else (sleep, nutrition).

Once i get my leg back, I am going to just go bonkers with a 3day push/pill/legs split. Fuck overtraining.

??? ::)

Let me guess... you're in between 18-28 years old.

SmallPole

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 08:35:05 AM »

::)

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 08:38:23 AM »
There is never any good reason to overtrain that I can think of.

Obviously, it's a lot easier to overtrain at 35, or at 45, than at 15.

However, the key is to get on a regular, continuous program that allows you to work as hard as possible, and eliminate the possibility of overtraining.  That's the idea behind the limited HIT programs, and earlier programs from Bradley Steiner (in IM), the York and Rader barbell programs.

If you train on the edges of overtraining, you probably will at some point.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 08:58:07 AM »
  ??? ::)

Let me guess... you're in between 18-28 years old.

LOL, I wish. Quite a bit older than that.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 10:17:37 AM »
there is such thing as overtraining, but no getbigger trains hard or long enough to enter that state

Fixed..

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 10:21:04 AM »
no such thing as overtraining?

try training your biceps relatively heavy for 5-6 to failure sets every day.

then come back.  :D

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 10:40:53 AM »

You have to understand that most of guys here has brain capacity of a four years old, so there will be plenty of things they don't know. That's why they have lot of complete stupid statements and opinions. Most of those getbiggers who actually are training, are training not for muscle but for ego, so how they would know? There is lot of waving and jerking, lot of screaming and dropping weights, but not real training, and therefore no overtraining  ;D

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 11:39:14 AM »
Since i started training each bodypart twice a week ive grown and got stronger. David Tua said theres no such thing as over training and hes right.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 12:27:57 PM »
well, yeah then the biceps might get overtrained, but not the whole body.

overtraining can be avoided by adapting training, even though you go every day.

but yeah, consecutive, every day training for a month straight, thatll put some strain on the bodys nervous sytem.

you dont know what the op meant, and take most ridiculous example to make a point, please.

it depends on the goal, if one is of those fools who think if they not stronger each consecutive workout ,then,well, good luck for them,lol.

I guess my point was that I used to be very scrupulous about the number of sets per week and the amount of "recovery" that I used to do. Since my injury I have basically thrown all of the stuff that I used to "know" out the window and it seems to be working anyway. I suppose it didn't really warrant a post ("news flash: part time weight lifter didn't actually know his shit"). So I stand guilty of anabolichalo'ism. Rats.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 12:29:50 PM »
there is such thing as overtraining, but no bodybuilder trains hard or long enough to enter that state

This.

K1RB

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 01:05:33 PM »

Let me be more specific...
One can't obviously train the same body part on consecutive days...
One does not need to schedule off days when you have a decent split routine.
You can train 8-10 days in a row and not overtrain...
Have common sense, and listen to your body. As one gets older, life happens and there will be plenty of unforeseen rest days. Train as heavy and as often as you can.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 03:01:15 PM »
Yes only CrossFitters can achieve this feat, they are the hardest working athletes.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 03:39:23 PM »
Yes only CrossFitters can achieve this feat, they are the hardest working athletes.

Yes they leave it all out on the field so to speak.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 03:53:46 PM »
 cns

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 05:48:22 PM »
I've found over many year of lifting that over-training is really just under-eating.   

O.Z.

• Getbig IV
  • Team Swimmers
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 05:52:15 PM »
You have to understand that most of guys here has brain capacity of a four years old, so there will be plenty of things they don't know. That's why they have lot of complete stupid statements and opinions. Most of those getbiggers who actually are training, are training not for muscle but for ego, so how they would know? There is lot of waving and jerking, lot of screaming and dropping weights, but not real training, and therefore no overtraining  ;D

what is your definition of real training?

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 06:38:17 PM »
I've found over many year of lifting that over-training is really just under-eating.   

I've found over many years of lifting that sweat is really just condensation.

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 10:13:08 PM »
There is no such thing as overtraining...
Avoid injury , and train everyday that you can.

Sounds like a crossfitter before overuse injuries, and rhabdo set in. No guts , no glory! Vamos!!!

missile

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 04:38:23 AM »

^^^^^^^Stupid American^^^^^^^^^

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 05:52:54 AM »
what is your definition of real training?

Do you need example? Well, when I train my legs, I do 2 x 100 reps leg extensions and 2 x 50 reps of seated hamstring curls for warm up, then 3 sets of 15 reps of deep squat, two rounds of superset with extensions and leg press, then 3 sets of hack with very slow negatives, 25 reps per set . After those I do four 15 reps sets of stiff legged deadlifts, 3 sets seated hamstring curls, and finally 3 sets per leg for one leg curls.  I do it once a week and yes, I call it real training, because my muscles grows by it. Of course it is all bullshit, because none of you guys are able to do same, so what is your point asking this kind of question?  It is obious that you will not believe anything I say, if it is more than yourself can do, so what is the point?  ;D