Author Topic: question about size with reps.  (Read 1393 times)

bigjoex

• Getbig II
question about size with reps.
« on: April 07, 2009, 04:45:05 PM »
ive been trying to get size. im getting stronger but size is ah. i was wondering rite now my sets for presses are 4 sets of 10 then 1 set of 5 then 1 set of 3 then set of 1. then with the majority of my other excerises i got for 8-10 reps. whats ur input on this? i just wana gethuge lol

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: question about size with reps.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:31:16 PM »
After warming up, 3-4 intense sets to failure is enough, in the moderate rep range 6-12. That's it, don't do more in terms of presses, just focus on improving weight/reps on that. Simple, but demanding you have to push the envelope to continue to improve on that then you'll see both strength and size improvement. Forget the singles and doubles that's powerlifting.

And of course throw in some laterals or whatever works too, and ensure the diet is sufficent to help with "good" bodyweight gain that's needed for size increase.

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 06:43:11 PM »
For size relative high reps with relative high weights will work for me best....but sometimes i do for a few weeks also the low rep Training (to increase my max strength) or do very high reps to give my joints/Tendoms/central nervous System a break from lifting heavy...
I´m close to 46 now, training a very long time natural and be able to make further progress (not fast, but...it´s ok)

did 1 arm rows with 462 lbs for 8 reps 2 days ago...+ pic of my todays triceps workout

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 02:54:47 PM »
For size relative high reps with relative high weights will work for me best....but sometimes i do for a few weeks also the low rep Training (to increase my max strength) or do very high reps to give my joints/Tendoms/central nervous System a break from lifting heavy...
I´m close to 46 now, training a very long time natural and be able to make further progress (not fast, but...it´s ok)

did 1 arm rows with 462 lbs for 8 reps 2 days ago...+ pic of my todays triceps workout

strong as a bull bro, keep it up.

The Apprentice

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 06:24:56 AM »
eat more

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 12:17:02 PM »
10-12 reps.....3 sets...... maybe 4 exercises......and eat a diet that includes red meat, oatmeal, potatoes and every so often a little junk and don't forget to supplement with protein shakes.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 02:56:13 AM »
something will always have to be done to somehow increase the intensity of the workout.

You can either: increase the weights, increase the reps, or cut the amount of time it normally takes to do the workload. You need to keep a fairly accurate record of each workout in order to do this.

Once the reps start to venture out of the 6-12 range (with the same workload) and into the 8-14 range, I would think it's time to do something different. (add weight, and/or decrease workload time)

The body grows muscle in response to stimulus. Once that stimulus stops, you reach "homeostasis"...

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 04:20:34 AM »
1st set-12 reps,then add weight for 8,add more weight for 2 sets of 5,drop weight and do a burnout set using a weight that makes you fight for 8 good reps.

EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 06:36:25 AM »
EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't do that you won't see any results.

I think a lot of people - when trying to troubleshoot their lack of progress - spend too much time analyzing their training, when the first thing they should look at is nutrition.
Once that is in check, then you can examine your exercise habits.

Without the right "fuel," you'll never optimize your progress.