Author Topic: Do Getbiggers agree with this? (Civil Forfieture for 1st time DWI offense?)  (Read 2142 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Do Getbiggers agree with this? (Civil Forfieture for 1st time DWI offense?)
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 09:51:45 AM »
Look bro i know this topic hits home with you but your getting a tad emotional and its clouding your already suspect judgment.

If they take your license away why do they need to take your car away?

the thing most ppl here have a problem with is the over reaching of the govt.

if we do this for drag racing and DD whats next hands at 10 and 2, no phones, no make up etc..

obviously the current deterrant isn't enough, because there are many many drunks on the road every night.

Taking the license is 1 thing... but there are still ppl who drive without a license. I'm okay with letting the drunk keep his car, but I'd like to see much longer jail sentences, even for 1st offenses.

Justifying drag dracing.... wtf man, I thought you were a grownup.  I feel like I'm talking with an irrational kid here.  You drive that fast and ppl die. 

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 09:55:26 AM »
Laws like this only make lawyers happy.
More tickets will be fought.
Few cars will be taken.

Also I thought you Americans were for property rights.

I guess not.

I don't believe there is ever a reason to take people's property.
The whole notion of proceeds of crime crap bothers me.
Make the fine large enough that they have to sell all of their stuff, but don't seize them.

Heck if OJ could have profited from his book. Then all of that money would have been given to the Goldman family.
Seems like a suitable outcome to me.
Z

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 09:58:20 AM »
obviously the current deterrant isn't enough, because there are many many drunks on the road every night.

Taking the license is 1 thing... but there are still ppl who drive without a license. I'm okay with letting the drunk keep his car, but I'd like to see much longer jail sentences, even for 1st offenses.

Justifying drag dracing.... wtf man, I thought you were a grownup.  I feel like I'm talking with an irrational kid here.  You drive that fast and ppl die. 
obviously the current penalties for all crimes arent deterrants B/C WE STILL HAVE CRIME...LOL so i guess your in favor of stiffer penalties for all crimes then?

I never justified drag racing dumb ass again your letting your emotions get to you.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 10:14:48 AM »
obviously the current penalties for all crimes arent deterrants B/C WE STILL HAVE CRIME...LOL so i guess your in favor of stiffer penalties for all crimes then?

I never justified drag racing dumb ass again your letting your emotions get to you.

I believe that in our country, most criminals get away with too much, with too little pentalty.

I would SO support lashing fools in public, given undeniable proof of guilt.  If you fail a breathalizer - with everything on video - you should just have your kneecap broken on the damn spot.  watch how fast people stop drinking and driving.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 10:20:34 AM »
Taking the car can seriously impede people's ability to hold a job.  That's just going to lead to more taxpayer burden.  Making the penalties stiffer would seem to be a better choice, but perhaps provisions if you hurt somebody, etc.  Maybe States already have provisions like that.  Anybody know?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 12:31:40 PM »
Taking the car can seriously impede people's ability to hold a job.  That's just going to lead to more taxpayer burden.  Making the penalties stiffer would seem to be a better choice, but perhaps provisions if you hurt somebody, etc.  Maybe States already have provisions like that.  Anybody know?

maybe you SHOULD lose your car, job, whatever, if you have the brass balls to move 2 tons of steel at 90 mph without the ability to contorl it, on a public road.

I don't see how that's much different than firing a gun wildly into the night.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 12:53:13 PM »
I believe that in our country, most criminals get away with too much, with too little penalty.

That's odd.  I think we give ridiculous penalties for petty crap.  We lock up everybody in this country for every stupid little thing.  Small amounts of drugs, prostitution, fighting with brother, picking your nose in public...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 12:55:12 PM »
That's odd.  I think we give ridiculous penalties for petty crap.  We lock up everybody in this country for every stupid little thing.  Small amounts of drugs, prostitution, fighting with brother, picking your nose in public...

I'm all for personal freedoms - if you don't hurt others.

legalize weed and prostitution, then tax it.

But the moment you hurt another human being, your ass belongs in a shackles.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 12:55:22 PM »
maybe you SHOULD lose your car, job, whatever, if you have the brass balls to move 2 tons of steel at 90 mph without the ability to contorl it, on a public road.

I don't see how that's much different than firing a gun wildly into the night.

OK.  Are you willing to pay for that.  A person with no car, job, home, etc. means welfare, unemployment collection, public housing, etc.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2009, 12:56:47 PM »
Absofuckingloutley not for both situations. Everyone on getbig that drinks and is old enough to drive has been over the limit while driving before. It's an absolute fact so dont even try to get on your soap box and preach about those killed by drunk drivers. The way the law is constituted now is perfectly fine IMO.

Does the death penalty stop murder? No, because if you want to kill someone, chances are your not thinking about getting caught or being put to death.

Do stiff drug penalties prevent drug use? Think Rockerfeller drug laws. If you want to get high, your going to get high and fuck the consequences.  In many Asian and Muslim countries there are death penalties for drugs, and yet, some people still manage to be executed every year for drug use.

Drag Racing is a much more serious and preventable evil than DUI IMO. You can be over the limit by accident. Its impossible to accidentely drag race with another willing participant on a public street or highway.

As long as nobody is injured ( which would make the charges higher anyway) and no property is destroyed, DUI is a largely victimless crime where occasionally some dumbass goes too far and kills or maims someone. However, the same can be said for careless drivers that kill people while sober. Higher penalties are going to do nothing except ruin peoples lives and satisfy the MAAD lobby.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2009, 01:02:38 PM »
OK.  Are you willing to pay for that.  A person with no car, job, home, etc. means welfare, unemployment collection, public housing, etc.

They can be homeless for all I care.  And no, you shouldn't get welfare for it.

This excuse "everyone drinks and drives" - I don't buy it.  i absolutely love red wine, but only drink at home, or when I'm out with a designated driver. 

maybe I'm just a big pu**y for following the law.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2009, 01:08:21 PM »
I'm all for personal freedoms - if you don't hurt others.

legalize weed and prostitution, then tax it.

But the moment you hurt another human being, your ass belongs in a shackles.
but you advocate obamas health care plan, welfare etc....

sorry hoss that does hurt others the ppl who are forced to pay for that shit  ::)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2009, 01:26:09 PM »
240 shut the fuck up you liar. You mean that since you turned 16 years old you never were at .08 when behind the wheel?- That means 2 beers in just under 2 hours?

I suppose your parents never drank that absurd amount and drove, and neither did any of your friends, family members, co-workers or aquaintences when you were a passenger in their car? Did they kill anyone? Did you?

I also suppose that you never smoked marajuana and drove later on that night-- ( or maybe you didn't inhale?) and neither has anyone else in your family and neither have your friends?

I can usually stomach your half assed, braindead conspiracy theories and your equally moronic and hypocritical views on politics, but your position in this thread is so smug and fake its beyond any insult I could throw at you.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2009, 01:27:59 PM »
I wish we could have civil forefieture for the criminal politicians who pass tax laws in the middle of the night to pay for all their schemes.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2009, 01:30:04 PM »
when i was in middle school, I was in SADD.  A girl from our school was killed by a drunk driver.  So it was a big deal to never drink anything and drive.  I know that's not realistic for most people... but it should be.  Stay home and drink.  

i've never smoked weed in my life.  I've drank a bit, but always with a designated driver or justat home.  It's not smug/fake on this one, and I'm not just taking a position for arguemnt's sake.  I don't drink anything if I have to drive at all that night.

No, do I think a person should lose their car for having 2 beers?  Of course not. Do I think the laws are very lax for the guy who gets his 5th DUI in a year and is still walking free?  Yes.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2009, 01:44:58 PM »
Agreed. But the topic of this thread is civil fortfiture for FIRST TIME dwi offense.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2009, 01:48:51 PM »
Agreed. But the topic of this thread is civil fortfiture for FIRST TIME dwi offense.

gotcha.  on that point, i agree it's excessive.  i let my emotions take over too much

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »
gotcha.  on that point, i agree it's excessive.  i let my emotions take over too much

This may get struck down because its constitutionality may be dubious.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2009, 03:21:31 PM »
Copyright © 2009 Mid-Hudson News Network, a division of Statewide News Network, Inc.
Westchester to enact DWI Vehicle Forfeiture Legislation
________________________ ________________________ _____________

WHITE PLAINS – Legislation that would require the forfeiture of vehicles for those convicted of operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs or while engaged in unlawful speed contests or drag races is ready for a vote in Westchester County.

County Board of Legislators Chairman Bill Ryan (D, I,WFP-White Plains), joined by Legislator Peter Harckham (D, I, WFP-Katonah), the author of this landmark legislation and the Board’s Committees on Legislation Chairman William Burton (D,I,WFP-Ossining) and Public Safety Chairman Legislator Vito Pinto (D,WFP-Tuckahoe) announced movement towards passage.

“We have commitments from enough legislators to report this legislation  out of committee and pass it on the floor of the full Board at our next meeting,” said Chairman Ryan.  “I want to congratulate Legislators Harckham, Burton and Pinto on this victory, which will save thousands of lives in the future.”

Harckham said there are two intents.  One is to deprive the drunk driver of his ‘weapon’.

“We hope to take the instrumentality of the crime away, just as you would take a gun away from an illegal gun user.  I submit to you that a vehicle in the hands of a drunk driver is no different than a gun.”

Harckham adds that taking someone’s car away my be the ‘wake-up call’ the problem drinker needs, to realize he has a problem.

“It's also important for residents to realize that if you're caught driving drunk, you risk taking a life or losing your own. The County Board has found that while larger fines, longer license suspensions, and increased jail sentences may deter some offenders, a stronger deterrent is necessary to protect the public.”

The legislators were joined by Alonzo West of the Westchester Correction Officers Benevolent Association, Michael Hagan of the Westchester County Police Benevolent Association, Robert Buckley of the Westchester County Correction Superior Officers Association and Helene Hodapp of the Westchester County Probation Officers Association, all of which have been vocal in their support of the legislation. “Law enforcement personnel need every tool at their disposal to combat the ever-growing scourge of drinking and driving offenses,” said Hodapp.

According to the National Transportation Safety Board, civil forfeiture of motor vehicles laws serve as a deterrent to recidivism may reduce first-time offenses and will send a stern message that driving while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs and drag racing will not be tolerated in Westchester County. 
The push for the legislation comes weeks after the horrific crash that killed eight on the Taconic Parkway.  Tests show Diane Schuler was drunk and high on pot at the time of the accident, although her husband continues to dispute the laboratory findings.

An ominously similar incident occurred on the Taconic late Wednesday night, although without the tragic consequences.  Another driver was stopped going the wrong way on the Taconic.  Gregorio Pena was also drunk, according to police.

Harckham said the forfeiture measure was in the works before the Taconic incidents.

________________________ ________________________ ________________

On the local news they said this would apply to 1st time offenses.   

I disagree with this 100000000000% and think this is awful IMHO. Especially, considering the fact that the a cop can say someone was "engaged in a speed contest".

Thoughts? 

I'm okay with this for DUI.  Drunk drivers cause way too much mayhem on the roads.