Author Topic: Do Getbiggers agree with this? (Civil Forfieture for 1st time DWI offense?)  (Read 2207 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Copyright © 2009 Mid-Hudson News Network, a division of Statewide News Network, Inc.
Westchester to enact DWI Vehicle Forfeiture Legislation
________________________ ________________________ _____________

WHITE PLAINS – Legislation that would require the forfeiture of vehicles for those convicted of operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs or while engaged in unlawful speed contests or drag races is ready for a vote in Westchester County.

County Board of Legislators Chairman Bill Ryan (D, I,WFP-White Plains), joined by Legislator Peter Harckham (D, I, WFP-Katonah), the author of this landmark legislation and the Board’s Committees on Legislation Chairman William Burton (D,I,WFP-Ossining) and Public Safety Chairman Legislator Vito Pinto (D,WFP-Tuckahoe) announced movement towards passage.

“We have commitments from enough legislators to report this legislation  out of committee and pass it on the floor of the full Board at our next meeting,” said Chairman Ryan.  “I want to congratulate Legislators Harckham, Burton and Pinto on this victory, which will save thousands of lives in the future.”

Harckham said there are two intents.  One is to deprive the drunk driver of his ‘weapon’.

“We hope to take the instrumentality of the crime away, just as you would take a gun away from an illegal gun user.  I submit to you that a vehicle in the hands of a drunk driver is no different than a gun.”

Harckham adds that taking someone’s car away my be the ‘wake-up call’ the problem drinker needs, to realize he has a problem.

“It's also important for residents to realize that if you're caught driving drunk, you risk taking a life or losing your own. The County Board has found that while larger fines, longer license suspensions, and increased jail sentences may deter some offenders, a stronger deterrent is necessary to protect the public.”

The legislators were joined by Alonzo West of the Westchester Correction Officers Benevolent Association, Michael Hagan of the Westchester County Police Benevolent Association, Robert Buckley of the Westchester County Correction Superior Officers Association and Helene Hodapp of the Westchester County Probation Officers Association, all of which have been vocal in their support of the legislation. “Law enforcement personnel need every tool at their disposal to combat the ever-growing scourge of drinking and driving offenses,” said Hodapp.

According to the National Transportation Safety Board, civil forfeiture of motor vehicles laws serve as a deterrent to recidivism may reduce first-time offenses and will send a stern message that driving while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs and drag racing will not be tolerated in Westchester County. 
The push for the legislation comes weeks after the horrific crash that killed eight on the Taconic Parkway.  Tests show Diane Schuler was drunk and high on pot at the time of the accident, although her husband continues to dispute the laboratory findings.

An ominously similar incident occurred on the Taconic late Wednesday night, although without the tragic consequences.  Another driver was stopped going the wrong way on the Taconic.  Gregorio Pena was also drunk, according to police.

Harckham said the forfeiture measure was in the works before the Taconic incidents.

________________________ ________________________ ________________

On the local news they said this would apply to 1st time offenses.   

I disagree with this 100000000000% and think this is awful IMHO. Especially, considering the fact that the a cop can say someone was "engaged in a speed contest".

Thoughts? 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Re: Do Getbiggers agree with this? (Civil Forfieture for 1st time DWI offense?)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 06:01:07 AM »
For DUI, sure,

but drag racing??? WTF?  ???
S

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 06:07:01 AM »
For DUI, sure,

but drag racing??? WTF?  ???

x 2.

A small-penised insecure cop with an axe to grind can take a car from someone for speeding?  BS.

if you are driving drunk, they should burn that car in front of you.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 06:11:09 AM »
What if you are driving someone elses' car and they did not know you were drunk? 

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 06:16:23 AM »
Let's face facts. We've all done this. Is there really anyone here (apart from the 12 year old pro BBers) that hasn't had a few too many and driven home ?

It's not clever at all but do the courts really have the authority to take away your property ? Why not just take away your right to drive the vehicle for 12 months. Then at least you can sell it.

All people should be punished equally under the law. Why should some guy be punished more severly just because he recently brought a new car ?

Pete, on Heineken, after short drive home.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 06:20:26 AM »
Let's face facts. We've all done this. Is there really anyone here (apart from the 12 year old pro BBers) that hasn't had a few too many and driven home ?

It's not clever at all but do the courts really have the authority to take away your property ? Why not just take away your right to drive the vehicle for 12 months. Then at least you can sell it.

All people should be punished equally under the law. Why should some guy be punished more severly just because he recently brought a new car ?

Pete, on Heineken, after short drive home.

To me, these laws are extremely dangerous and slippery slope.  What next?  Going through a red light - lose your car?   

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 06:25:12 AM »
To me, these laws are extremely dangerous and slippery slope.  What next?  Going through a red light - lose your car?   

Agreed.

The way it should be - first offence, a 6-pack, maybe a crate of Moet for Paris Hilton. Second offence a whole keg, then onto custodial sentences.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 07:59:21 AM »
ENOUGH of government over reaching!!!!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 08:29:24 AM »
if you're driving home from work one day, and suddenly BOOM

You wake up in a hospital bed, paralyzed from the neck down because some a-hole "had a few too many" after work, then drove.

Are you okay with it then?  You go from being successful, healthy, and happy... to pissing in a diaper and unable to move your body ever again.

i betcha if this happened, you would support vehicle forfeiture for drunk drivers.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 08:31:17 AM »
Let's face facts. We've all done this.

Because the deterrant wasn't big enough.

You know that worse case, you'll get harassed and have to walk the straight line.  And there's a very small chance you end up wtih a weekend in jail.  Small chance, and not a huge concern.

Now, what if you knew the minute you drove with 4 beers in you - you would lose that brand new truck, your ride to work, etc?  You might decide to pick up a 6-pack and just enjoy them at home instead.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 08:31:59 AM »
if you're driving home from work one day, and suddenly BOOM

You wake up in a hospital bed, paralyzed from the neck down because some a-hole "had a few too many" after work, then drove.

Are you okay with it then?  You go from being successful, healthy, and happy... to pissing in a diaper and unable to move your body ever again.

i betcha if this happened, you would support vehicle forfeiture for drunk drivers.

That can happen with someone texting, eating, speeding, etc. 

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 08:34:34 AM »
What other effects will this have if the person had to get a loan to purchase the car, has it confiscated and quits making payments?
R

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 08:36:44 AM »

I also support bigger fines for these folks. 

But those are momentary lapses with big $ risk for a ticket. 

DUI = bigger.  We're talking about a 20-minute drive home where you're completely Fcked up 100% of the time.

I am shocked people are defending drunk driving. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 08:38:22 AM »
I also support bigger fines for these folks. 

But those are momentary lapses with big $ risk for a ticket. 

DUI = bigger.  We're talking about a 20-minute drive home where you're completely Fcked up 100% of the time.

I am shocked people are defending drunk driving. 

No one is defending drunk driving.  What I am saying is that if the govt wants to penalize you , why take all or shit?  Why not jail you instead? 

Why not do the same thing for speeding?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 08:41:32 AM »
No one is defending drunk driving.  What I am saying is that if the govt wants to penalize you , why take all or shit?  Why not jail you instead? 

Why not do the same thing for speeding?

Hey, I'd support required 1-year jail term for first offense DUI.  Keep your car.  Enjoy it when you get out.

And yes, I would support much stiffer fines for speeding.  You're not the only one on the road. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 08:41:36 AM »
exactly

240 I used to do the whole racing thing in high school and it can be every bit as dangerous as driving drunk man.

If your going to enforce it for drunk driving where do you stop?

you already get your liscense suspended so why do they need to take away your car?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 08:42:46 AM »
What other effects will this have if the person had to get a loan to purchase the car, has it confiscated and quits making payments?
good point stella

seriously does the govt just wipe the debt out or are these ppl made to continue paying?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 08:42:56 AM »
exactly

240 I used to do the whole racing thing in high school and it can be every bit as dangerous as driving drunk man.

If your going to enforce it for drunk driving where do you stop?

you already get your liscense suspended so why do they need to take away your car?

If you knew your car would be confiscated, would you still have drag raced?
If you knew you would get 1 year in prison - would you still race?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 08:46:12 AM »
If you knew your car would be confiscated, would you still have drag raced?
If you knew you would get 1 year in prison - would you still race?
I knew my liscense could get suspended and I still did it basically they same end isnt it?

I knew I could get arrested for it and still did it...ppl are still going to do shit 240

drugs are a huge problem in this country too maybe we should allow the death penalty for any drug related crime...you see the road your going down?

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 08:46:21 AM »
good point stella

seriously does the govt just wipe the debt out or are these ppl made to continue paying?

If the person stops paying the debt won't the bank that issued the loan get screwed?  Even if the bank were given the car to sell, if it was new as soon as it was driven off the lot it depreciated by a large percent.  And what if they weren't given the car?  Are they on the hook for the whole amount owed?
R

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 08:52:51 AM »
If the person stops paying the debt won't the bank that issued the loan get screwed?  Even if the bank were given the car to sell, if it was new as soon as it was driven off the lot it depreciated by a large percent.  And what if they weren't given the car?  Are they on the hook for the whole amount owed?
I would think that the govt would either have to reimburse the creditor(more tax payer money) or give back the vehicle but like you said it would have depreciated even if it was a upgraded racing car with a lot of mods nobody but other ppl who are into that like that stuff so it would take a while to sell.

this just seems like a hair brained idea

again they already your suspend liscense so why the need to take the car?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 09:08:40 AM »
I knew my liscense could get suspended and I still did it basically they same end isnt it?

I knew I could get arrested for it and still did it...ppl are still going to do shit 240

drugs are a huge problem in this country too maybe we should allow the death penalty for any drug related crime...you see the road your going down?

Bullshit.  if i'm on the road, and you want to use your car as a weapon, your ass belongs in jail.  Drag racing is for morons, plain and simple. 

Forgiving crap behavior because 'everyone does it' is bullshit.

i've never done drugs.  I've never drag raced.  I've never driven drunk.  I do believe we need stiffer penalties for shit that endangers other people.  I don't care if you want to smoke weed at home, go for it.  but you do that shit and get behind the wheel, and the police shoud be able to break your damn kneecap on the spot.

because you're endangering others.

That's the difference.

Your right to do whatever you want with your body wneds when you get on a PUBLIC ROAD.  I can shoot my glock all I want on my property... can I fire wildly intro traffic?  no.  Your drunk ass driving 110 mph in a race isn't all that different...

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 09:09:58 AM »

On the local news they said this would apply to 1st time offenses.   

I disagree with this 100000000000% and think this is awful IMHO. Especially, considering the fact that the a cop can say someone was "engaged in a speed contest".

Thoughts? 

The article says "convicted", not arrested. The article is short on details and I haven't really been following the story that closely but I think the premise isn't that crazy. You can get your license revoked for drunk-driving.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 09:14:10 AM »
Bullshit.  if i'm on the road, and you want to use your car as a weapon, your ass belongs in jail.  Drag racing is for morons, plain and simple. 

i've never done drugs.  I've never drag raced.  I've never driven drunk.  I do believe we need stiffer penalties for shit that endangers other people.  I don't care if you want to smoke weed at home, go for it.  but you do that shit and get behind the wheel, and the police shoud be able to break your damn kneecap on the spot.

That's the difference.

Your right to do whatever you want with your body wneds when you get on a PUBLIC ROAD.  I can shoot my glock all I want on my property... can I fire wildly intro traffic?  no.  Your drunk ass driving 110 mph in a race isn't all that different...

QFT.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 09:32:05 AM »

That's the difference.

Look bro i know this topic hits home with you but your getting a tad emotional and its clouding your already suspect judgment.

If they take your license away why do they need to take your car away?

the thing most ppl here have a problem with is the over reaching of the govt.

if we do this for drag racing and DD whats next hands at 10 and 2, no phones, no make up etc..