Author Topic: Planned Parenthood - Morning After Pill  (Read 15355 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Planned Parenthood - Morning After Pill
« Reply #125 on: September 03, 2007, 11:44:23 PM »
Found these "talking points" from the Concerned Women for America website.  I read a number of categorical statements from doctors, etc. saying Plan B is "safe" and has absolutely no adverse long-term effects.  Then I read the following and it raises a number of legitimate questions, including the question I've raised in this thread. 

Talking Points on the Morning-After Pill (MAP)      8/25/2006
By Wendy Wright

Why the Morning-After Pill should not be available without a prescription.

Facts:

The morning-after pill (MAP) lacks testing for safety to women. Access to the drug over-the-counter, or without a prescription, would prompt use among consumers who, unknowingly, have medical conditions that put them at high risk of life-threatening complications. It could be slipped to women without their knowledge, and statutory rapists would rely on it to cover up their abuse of adolescents. In areas that allow easy access, the sexually transmitted disease rates have skyrocketed. The drug owner encourages multiple sex partners (putting women at risk of sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs), and endorses frequent use of the drug, though it has not conducted studies on multiple use. Morning-after pill promoters have been found guilty of overstating the efficacy of the drug and understating the risks to women.

(Documentation is available at http://www.cwfa.org/hot-topics.asp)

Potential Risks to Women

Over-the-counter access would extend the availability of the MAP to a broader population than any study has included — females who have not been counseled or screened for contraindications.

Easy access allows someone other than the consumer to buy it and then slip it to a woman without her knowledge or consent. Unlike other drugs like aspirin, there is more potential for abuse by someone who, contrary to or unaware of the woman’s wishes, does not want her pregnant. Drugs less easy to administer have been used against women:

In one example, Gary Bourgeois’ girlfriend refused to have an abortion. During sexual relations, he inserted misoprostol, used in the RU-486 abortion regimen. Later she experienced violent cramps then felt a partly dissolved pill drop from her vagina. Her baby died. He pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and administering a noxious substance in Canada in September, 2003.

In another incident, Dr. Stephen Pack pleaded guilty to injecting Joy Schepis with an abortion-inducing drug in April 2000. The Bronx, New York, doctor jabbed his former lover with a syringe filled with methotrexate, which causes abortions, because she refused to have one.

It will be difficult for doctors to treat complications when the woman’s medical history is unknown or hidden.

The morning-after pill is a high dose of the birth control pill, which requires a medical exam, a prescription, and physician oversight. Birth control pills can cause significant or life-threatening conditions such as blood clots, stroke and heart attacks. Birth control pills are contraindicated for women with diabetes, liver problems, heart disease, breast cancer, deep vein thrombosis, and for women who smoke and are over 35. Physician oversight is necessary to ensure that none of these contraindications exists. For example, according to the Centers for Disease Control, approximately 1.85 million women of reproductive age (18 – 44) have diabetes; approximately 500,000 do not know that they have the disease.

The World Health Organization has warned: “There may be a higher percentage of ectopic pregnancies among emergency contraceptive pill failure cases than among a normal pregnant population.”

Nurses at the Royal College of Nursing warned that pharmacists in the United Kingdom (where the drug is available behind the counter) were failing to warn customers of possible complications or carry out routine medical assessments.

Lack or Absence of Scientific Studies on:

The long-term effects.

The high dosage. A drug’s safety at one dose or range of doses does not mean that the drug is equally safe at a much higher dose. Yet proponents stake their arguments on decades of use of the birth control pill, a lower dose – which is not available over-the-counter.

Repeated usage. In the United Kingdom, one in seven of all women used the morning-after pill repeatedly in the same year.

Females not screened for medical contraindications.

Adolescents.

The Food and Drug Administration’s approval of the morning-after pill with a prescription was not based on controlled scientific studies, but on unscientific, anecdotal evidence. All studies (including those cited in the over-the-counter approval application of Plan B, a brand of the MAP) focus on the drug’s relative reliability in decreasing the expected birth rate, not on the effect on the women who have taken the drug regimen.

Reasons Not to Trust Morning-After Pill Proponents

The FDA found Plan B’s promoters guilty of false advertising, for overstating efficacy (claiming greater effectiveness in prohibiting pregnancies than the evidence shows) and understating the medical risks to women. The FDA stated the “ads raise significant public health and safety concerns.” Yet proponents continue to make similar claims.

Plan B’s promoters make the contradictory claim that the MAP inhibits implantation but does not end a pregnancy. Nearly half of Americans (46 percent) believe life begins at fertilization. Knowledge that the MAP can terminate a pregnancy could affect a woman’s decision to use it; withholding such information violates the principle of informed consent.

Promoters have relied on junk science to claim it does not affect sexual behaviors. At least one study (from the University of Pittsburgh) included only teenagers already engaged in risky sexual activity, and then concluded that easy access to MAP did not change their behavior.

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommends that low-dose oral contraceptives be available only with a prescription from a licensed health-care provider. Yet it is recommending that Plan B and other higher-dose hormone regimens be available over-the-counter.

ACOG did not poll its members. Its recommendation is not representative of its members. MAP proponents had complained that doctors have not been willing to hand out the drug to anyone (apparently a driving reason for them to seek over-the-counter status – to bypass medical intervention intended to protect women).

MAP promoters demonstrate a disturbing lack of concern for women’s health:

Plan B’s Web site responds to the question, “How often can Plan B be provided,” by stating, “Plan B can be provided as frequently as needed.”

The Web site acknowledges the need for intervention and oversight. “Providers can help a client determine whether Plan B treatment makes sense given the timing of unprotected intercourse and her level of concern about an unwanted pregnancy.” However, over-the-counter access would eliminate “providers,” thereby eliminating the opportunity for counsel, caution, and the screening out of women with contraindications.

The Web site encourages unnecessary use of the MAP for women already taking oral contraceptives — even though women are only fertile within days of ovulation: “Women taking oral contraception do not have true menstrual cycles and are at risk of pregnancy. … [E]mergency contraception may be indicated.”

Advertisements for Plan B include:

One ad portraying 13 young men with the caption, “So many men. So many reasons to have back up contraception.”

Another pictures a fraternity, with the words, “Delta Delta Thi. 27 upstanding young men. 34 billion sneaky little sperm.”

Another is designed like a poster for adolescents, describing “Damian” as “A Renaissance Guy, a Deep Thinker, an Ancient Soul, a Walking Sperm Factory.”

Potential Effect on Public Health

Regions that allow easy access to the MAP experience a significant increase in sexually transmitted diseases. In the United Kingdom, chlamydia cases rose from 7,000 in 1999 to 10,000 cases last year. Gonorrhea cases climbed nearly 50 percent, to nearly 3,000 cases last year, up from 2,000 in 1999. The highest increases were among 16-19 year olds.

Contrary to proponents’ claims, the number of surgical abortions has not declined with easy access to MAP. In some areas, the number of abortions increased.

In a U.K. study of users of MAP, four out of the 12 women interviewed said their choice to have unprotected sexual intercourse was influenced by the knowledge that they could obtain the pill from a pharmacy.

In response to concern that providing the morning-after pill through pharmacists would lead to more unprotected sex, a user of the pill disclosed: “To be honest, in a way, that is what happened to me. I did previously know that X chemist was just over the road and I think, I think if I hadn’t have known … if I hadn’t have known I could have got it so easily, I would have been more careful, to be honest.”

Risks to Adolescents

Many teenagers would be less confident in resisting sexual pressure, particularly if easy access to the pill is in the aggressor’s arsenal of coercion. It will increase the likelihood of sexual abuse of girls, and that sexual perpetrators will prolong their rapes undetected.

Adolescents are unlikely to recognize if they have medical contraindications, less likely to follow directions for administration or to fully understand a medication label. They are less prone to seek medical help if they suffer symptoms of complications after secretly taking the MAP, and would not be aware that it lacks adequate testing.

Rather than reducing the core problem of young people engaging in sexual activity (which carries life-long consequences), it encourages sexual activity. An official survey revealed that MAP use among teenage girls in the United Kingdom more than doubled since it became available in pharmacies, increasing from one in 12 teen-agers to one in five. Among them were girls as young as 12. A girl who said she was 10 years old told the pharmacist “she had already used it four times.”

Even morning-after pill proponents agree that sexually active girls are likely victims of sexual abuse, and interaction with medical professionals is an important defense.

The Alan Guttmacher Institute reported: “The younger women are when they first have intercourse the more likely they are to have had unwanted or nonvoluntary first sex, seven in 10 of those who had sex before age 13, for example.”
“The possibility of sexual abuse should be considered routinely in every adolescent female patient who has initiated sexual activity,” stated Dr. Joycelyn Elders in the Journal of the American Medical Association. The rush to choose “pregnancy outcome options” may preempt efforts to rule out sexual abuse. “Sexual abuse is a common antecedent of adolescent pregnancy, with up to 66% of pregnant teens reporting histories of abuse…. Pregnancy may also be a sign of ongoing sexual abuse…. Boyer and Fine found that of 535 young women who were pregnant, 44% had been raped, of whom 11% became pregnant as a result of the rape. One half of these young women with rape histories were raped more than once.”

Tool for Abusers

The Bangkok Post reported disturbing consequences of easy availability of the morning-after pill for the past 15 years, including:

Random studies showed that men are the most frequent buyers. “They buy the pills for their girlfriends or wives so that they don’t have to wear condoms and feel they’re at no risk of becoming a father afterwards. Some women I’ve spoken to said that they didn’t even know what they were taking; that the guy just said it was a health supplement,” said Nattaya Boonpakdee, program assistant at the Population Council (an agency dedicated to promoting and developing contraception and abortion methods).

“Although many feminists believe that the morning-after pill gives them more control over their own bodies, it would seem, judging from the few studies conducted so far, that it is actually being used by men to exploit women.”

FDA Advisory Committee

The FDA Advisory Committee chairman declared the label comprehension study a “failure” – a full one-third of the women did not understand that the morning-after pill is not to be used as a regular form of birth control.

The committee was presented limited or incomplete information.

Some committee members displayed a disturbing lack of interest in the potential abuse of women, and of practical reality. These members advocated that the morning-after pill should be placed in stores outside the line of vision of pharmacists, so customers would not be embarrassed about obtaining it. The committee members did not say how they expect customers to pay for it without anyone seeing.

The FDA has rejected advisory committee recommendations in the past, most recently regarding silicone breast implants. It is only one of the FDA’s multiple levels for evaluation.

http://www.cwfa.org/articles/5621/CWA/life/index.htm

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: September 03, 2007, 11:47:44 PM »
Others who have the same concerns re long-term effects on adolescents who repeatedly use the drug:

Authoritative Warnings
Despite claims by the World Health Organization, the Canadian Public Health Association, and the Canadian Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, that the use of 'Plan B' is safe, there is no proof that the use of 'Plan B' as an MAP is safe over the long term. There is a lack or absence of scientific studies on the MAP's long- term effects; repeated usage of the drug; effects on adolescents and the effects of high hormone dosage. On May 6, 2004, the FDA rejected a plan to allow the MAP to be sold over the counter at American pharmacies, citing concern that it might be unsafe for girls under the age of sixteen. On May 7, 2004, the FDA decreed that levonorgestrel ('Plan B') could not be sold over the counter until more studies are done.

It should be noted that levonorgestrel is the active principle in both 'Plan B' and Norplant (an oral 'contraceptive'). When used as a regular 'contraceptive', Norplant can occasionally cause weight gain, depression, gall bladder disease, increase in blood pressure, blood clots, and blindness. Physicians recommend that levonorgestrel should not be used as an oral contraceptive if a woman is pregnant, or has a history of unexplained vaginal bleeding, allergy to the drug, blood clots, breast cancer, pelvic inflammatory disease, or active liver disease.

. . . .

http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/she/she_09candythatkills.html

·   Lack of scientific studies examining risks. There is a clear lack of scientific studies on the long-term-effects of Plan B with respect to high dosage and repeated use in both women and adolescents. While the patient package directions on Plan B state it is not to be used more than twice a month, the directions and promotions of Plan B state it is also to be used in emergencies.2 These emergencies include unprotected sex and the failure of other birth control devices--factors that may arise more than twice a month.

. . .

http://www.frc.org/get.cfm?i=IF06H01

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #127 on: September 04, 2007, 01:31:51 AM »
Should we really dedicate six pages to the "Planned Parenthood - Morning After Pill" thread?  It doesn't make sense to me considering the countless major issues and problems facing our Country today.

S

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #128 on: September 04, 2007, 10:41:08 AM »
Should we really dedicate six pages to the "Planned Parenthood - Morning After Pill" thread?  It doesn't make sense to me considering the countless major issues and problems facing our Country today.

Not to sound like a jerk, but do you go into any of the sex threads or the entertainment threads or the threads on Ronnie's gut and ask if those threads should exist?  I don't recall the board guidelines stating that the only topics to be discussed were the ones Benfun7 deemed important.

In the future, it might be easier to simply steer clear of any topics that don't interest you.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #129 on: September 04, 2007, 10:43:10 AM »
I know you don't expect me to read all that. If it contains something noteworthy, you should have highlighted it.

I did skim it and noticed none of the Concered Women's objections were based on scientifically-backed health concerns. Most of the objections actually weren't based on imaginary health concerns, either. They seemed to be more concerned about the provocative ad campaign and debating whether or not life begins at fertilization.

I also noticed that the article contained some misleading info. For instance, they use the high rate of latent diabetes among women as a reason to keep Plan B a prescription drug. However, this site verifies my suspicions. Estrogen, not progestin, is linked to any health risks a diabetic may experience.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxa1377_333181_sespider-i_have_diabetes__can_i_take_birth_control_pills_or_will_it_make_my_diabetes_worse.htm

I also noticed that all three articles were from anti-abortion websites.

Despite their length, those articles didn't seem to contain anything of note.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: September 04, 2007, 11:03:36 AM »
I know you don't expect me to read all that. If it contains something noteworthy, you should have highlighted it.

I did skim it and noticed none of the Concered Women's objections were based on scientifically-backed health concerns. Most of the objections actually weren't based on imaginary health concerns, either. They seemed to be more concerned about the provocative ad campaign and debating whether or not life begins at fertilization.

I also noticed that the article contained some misleading info. For instance, they use the high rate of latent diabetes among women as a reason to keep Plan B a prescription drug. However, this site verifies my suspicions. Estrogen, not progestin, is linked to any health risks a diabetic may experience.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxa1377_333181_sespider-i_have_diabetes__can_i_take_birth_control_pills_or_will_it_make_my_diabetes_worse.htm

I also noticed that all three articles were from anti-abortion websites.

Despite their length, those articles didn't seem to contain anything of note.

I didn't expect you to read it, although it's about the same length as the article you posted by Sharon Snider.  If you did actually read it, you'd find information that is inconsistent with your predetermined conclusion.  You've admitted you reached a conclusion and are looking for facts to support your conclusion.  My approach is a little different:  get the facts, then reach a conclusion. 

I spent some time reading about this yesterday.  As I said earlier, there are a lot of categorical statements indicating Plan B is completely safe.  What I find surprising is the lack of definitive research to support these statements, particularly when it comes to repeated use by teenagers.  I've simply highlighted concerns by some, including doctors, who still have concerns.  It really doesn't matter to me whether those who have questions are pro life. 

Based on what I've read, this issue is highly politicized.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #131 on: September 04, 2007, 11:05:48 AM »
Found these "talking points" from the Concerned Women for America website.  I read a number of categorical statements from doctors, etc. saying Plan B is "safe" and has absolutely no adverse long-term effects.  Then I read the following and it raises a number of legitimate questions, including the question I've raised in this thread. 

Talking Points on the Morning-After Pill (MAP)      8/25/2006
By Wendy Wright

Why the Morning-After Pill should not be available without a prescription.

http://www.cwfa.org/articles/5621/CWA/life/index.htm

Bum,

Your source is the Concerned Women of America which is one the most radical and most ill-informed of all the right wing hate groups (do some research and see what the think of Dick Cheney for supporting his gay daughter)

Bottom Line

preventing unwanted pregnancy > perceived "problems" with morning after pill

Also, morning after pill is NOT RU486

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: September 04, 2007, 11:18:03 AM »
Bum,

Your source is the Concerned Women of America which is one the most radical and most ill-informed of all the right wing hate groups (do some research and see what the think of Dick Cheney for supporting his gay daughter)

Bottom Line

preventing unwanted pregnancy > perceived "problems" with morning after pill

Also, morning after pill is NOT RU486

1.  Not it isn't.  But even it was, so what. 

2.  Bottom line:  there are unanswered questions about the long-term health implications of repeated use of this pill by teenagers. 

3.   ???  Who said the morning after pill was RU486? 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #133 on: September 04, 2007, 11:25:25 AM »

In one example, Gary Bourgeois’ girlfriend refused to have an abortion. During sexual relations, he inserted misoprostol, used in the RU-486 abortion regimen. Later she experienced violent cramps then felt a partly dissolved pill drop from her vagina. Her baby died. He pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and administering a noxious substance in Canada in September, 2003.

In another incident, Dr. Stephen Pack pleaded guilty to injecting Joy Schepis with an abortion-inducing drug in April 2000. The Bronx, New York, doctor jabbed his former lover with a syringe filled with methotrexate, which causes abortions, because she refused to have one.

Why do you post stuff about abortion drugs when it's not relevent to the conversation

You do read the stuff you that you cut and paste right?

Does this example have anything to do with the MAP?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #134 on: September 04, 2007, 11:27:41 AM »
1.  Not it isn't.  But even it was, so what. 

2.  Bottom line:  there are unanswered questions about the long-term health implications of repeated use of this pill by teenagers. 

3.   ???  Who said the morning after pill was RU486? 

is #1 in regards to the Concerned Woman for America?

Are you saying "so what" even if/though they are an ill-informed hate group??

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2007, 11:28:16 AM »
Why do you post stuff about abortion drugs when it's not relevent to the conversation

You do read the stuff you that you cut and paste right?

Does this example have anything to do with the MAP?

::)  You high again?  I cut and pasted the relevant excerpt:     "Lack of scientific studies examining risks. There is a clear lack of scientific studies on the long-term-effects of Plan B with respect to high dosage and repeated use in both women and adolescents."  

I even put it in bold.  Put the bong down and try and focus.    

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2007, 11:30:27 AM »
is #1 in regards to the Concerned Woman for America?

Are you saying "so what" even if/though they are an ill-informed hate group??

What I'm now questioning is why I even responded to your gibberish.   ::)  You usually provide good theater.  You haven't done so yet.  But the morning is still young.

Now say something to make me laugh already . . . .

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2007, 11:40:46 AM »
::)  You high again?  I cut and pasted the relevant excerpt:     "Lack of scientific studies examining risks. There is a clear lack of scientific studies on the long-term-effects of Plan B with respect to high dosage and repeated use in both women and adolescents."  

I even put it in bold.  Put the bong down and try and focus.    

you always resort "pot" reference whenever you're stumped.

FACT - you posted crap about abortion pills in a discussion about morning after contraception

FACT - Concerned Women for America (I assume you are a card carrying member) is a right wing hate group ....I mean Christian Pro-Ignorancy Group founed by the wife of the moron who wrote the Left Behind books.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2007, 11:45:49 AM »
you always resort "pot" reference whenever you're stumped.

FACT - you posted crap about abortion pills in a discussion about morning after contraception

FACT - Concerned Women for America (I assume you are a card carrying member) is a right wing hate group ....I mean Christian Pro-Ignorancy Group founed by the wife of the moron who wrote the Left Behind books.

FACT - You smoke marijuana. 

FACT - You have trouble following a discussion.

FACT - You are a liar.   

FACT - "Even Infrequent Use of Marijuana Increases Risk of Psychosis by 40 Percent."  http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=160887.0

I'm starting to see a pattern here.   :-\  Can I make a suggestion?  http://www.na.org/

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2007, 11:53:48 AM »

FACT - You are a liar.   

FACT - "Even Infrequent Use of Marijuana Increases Risk of Psychosis by 40 Percent."  http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=160887.0

I'm starting to see a pattern here.   :-\  Can I make a suggestion?  http://www.na.org/

Bum,

Are you a masochist?

You seem to enjoy getting your ass kicked on a daily basis on this site

Shouldn't you be tapping your toes in a men's bathroom somewhere about now?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2007, 12:14:41 PM »
I didn't expect you to read it, although it's about the same length as the article you posted by Sharon Snider.

When I link to an article, I ALWAYS extract any information relevant to my point and explain how it's relevant to my point. You just posted a 10,000 word article and expected something to stick.

It really doesn't matter to me whether those who have questions are pro life.

Followed immediately by this:

Based on what I've read, this issue is highly politicized.

So assuming you understand the meaning of the words you typed in that second quote, it should be glaringly, painfully obvious why an anti-abortion would lack credibility when they are the only ones questioning the safety of a pill with literally decades of research backing up its safety.

You've admitted you reached a conclusion and are looking for facts to support your conclusion.  My approach is a little different:  get the facts, then reach a conclusion.

You're taking this way out of context. As I've already stated, I had already familiarized myself with many of these issues in a professional capacity. I have not been looking for facts to support an uninformed conclusion, I have been looking for documentation that supports conclusions that are scientifically sound and have been verified.

You have been actively avoiding facts. That FDA report on birth control is pretty conclusive proof that there aren't any serious long term side effects from progestin, yet you've been  conjuring up increasingly trivial reasons to discount it.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2007, 12:16:03 PM »

FACT - You are a liar.   

I find it interesting that 40 years of birth control data is not enough to convince you of progestin's safety, but you put a lot of stock in one study that shows  pot use may increase the possibility of schizophrenia by .4%.  I guess you only like science when it's convenient.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: September 04, 2007, 01:00:51 PM »
When I link to an article, I ALWAYS extract any information relevant to my point and explain how it's relevant to my point. You just posted a 10,000 word article and expected something to stick.

Followed immediately by this:

So assuming you understand the meaning of the words you typed in that second quote, it should be glaringly, painfully obvious why an anti-abortion would lack credibility when they are the only ones questioning the safety of a pill with literally decades of research backing up its safety.

You're taking this way out of context. As I've already stated, I had already familiarized myself with many of these issues in a professional capacity. I have not been looking for facts to support an uninformed conclusion, I have been looking for documentation that supports conclusions that are scientifically sound and have been verified.

You have been actively avoiding facts. That FDA report on birth control is pretty conclusive proof that there aren't any serious long term side effects from progestin, yet you've been  conjuring up increasingly trivial reasons to discount it.

I didn't really post the "talking points" for you specifically.  It was an fyi for anyone who might be interested.  I don't know how many words are contained in the Sharon Snider article, but upon further review it might be longer than what I posted.

There is no research addressing the concerns raised by a number of people.  I don't view Focus on the Family, Concerned Women for America, or any of the doctors who expressed concerns as any less credible than a group like Planned Parenthood that appears to be nothing more than an abortion mill.  You cannot reasonably contend Planned Parenthood doesn't have an agenda.  I consider the source too, but even biased sources can raise legitimate questions and make legitimate points.   

I'm not conjuring up anything.  I've been looking for a study on a specific issue.  That study doesn't exist.       

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: September 04, 2007, 01:02:55 PM »

I find it interesting that 40 years of birth control data is not enough to convince you of progestin's safety, but you put a lot of stock in one study that shows  pot use may increase the possibility of schizophrenia by .4%.  I guess you only like science when it's convenient.

No.  I just like pointing out that we have an example of psychosis right here on this board.  :)

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #144 on: September 04, 2007, 01:27:53 PM »
I didn't really post the "talking points" for you specifically.  It was an fyi for anyone who might be interested.  I don't know how many words are contained in the Sharon Snider article, but upon further review it might be longer than what I posted.

And once again,  I didn't just post the article verbatim. I posted the relevant points of the article.

There is no research addressing the concerns raised by a number of people. I don't view Focus on the Family, Concerned Women for America, or any of the doctors who expressed concerns as any less credible than a group like Planned Parenthood that appears to be nothing more than an abortion mill.  You cannot reasonably contend Planned Parenthood doesn't have an agenda.  I consider the source too, but even biased sources can raise legitimate questions and make legitimate points. 

When have I used any info from Planned Parenthood?

I can and do contend that the FDA and virtually the entire medical industry don't have an agenda.

I'm not conjuring up anything.  I've been looking for a study on a specific issue.  That study doesn't exist.       

The research is conclusive and thorough. You've chosen to ignore it for reasons that range from inaccurate to illogical. The simple fact of the matter is that progestin does not have any long term side effects and there is decades of research that backs that up.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: September 04, 2007, 01:57:26 PM »
When have I used any info from Planned Parenthood?

I can and do contend that the FDA and virtually the entire medical industry don't have an agenda.

The research is conclusive and thorough. You've chosen to ignore it for reasons that range from inaccurate to illogical. The simple fact of the matter is that progestin does not have any long term side effects and there is decades of research that backs that up.

It's "conclusive and thorough," yet you cannot provide a link to a single study on the long-term effects of repeated use of this particular pill by teenagers.  When I asked for a link you provided this:  http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/CONSUMER/CON00027.html  - an article by FDA staff writer Sharon Snider. 

I read the entire article.  It does not provide conclusive evidence of the safety of repeated use of this pill by teenagers, and in fact raises numerous safety issues (as I pointed out earlier).  Simply saying this pill is safe--in the context in which I have raised questions--doesn't make it so.

I get the feeling we will not agree on this.   :) 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #146 on: September 04, 2007, 02:01:08 PM »
Great stuff.  Hard to deny the abortion issue after reading the photographer's story.   

http://michaelclancy.com/story.html

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #147 on: September 04, 2007, 02:26:43 PM »
It's "conclusive and thorough," yet you cannot provide a link to a single study on the long-term effects of repeated use of this particular pill by teenagers.  When I asked for a link you provided this:  http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/CONSUMER/CON00027.html  - an article by FDA staff writer Sharon Snider. 

I read the entire article.  It does not provide conclusive evidence of the safety of repeated use of this pill by teenagers, and in fact raises numerous safety issues (as I pointed out earlier).  Simply saying this pill is safe--in the context in which I have raised questions--doesn't make it so.

I get the feeling we will not agree on this.   :) 

Oh, okay....

I didn't realize you were splitting hairs so minutely.

Long term studies on TEENAGED GIRLS...

...Now I see your point. Considering that there aren't any medications that result in different long term effects for teenagers and adults, I can see how Plan B could be a cause for  serious concern.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #148 on: September 04, 2007, 02:27:56 PM »

I read the entire article.  It does not provide conclusive evidence of the safety of repeated use of this pill by teenagers, and in fact raises numerous safety issues (as I pointed out earlier). 

As you erroneously pointed out. Don't forget the erroneous part. It's very important.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: September 05, 2007, 05:18:37 PM »
Great stuff.  Hard to deny the abortion issue after reading the photographer's story.   

http://michaelclancy.com/story.html

Incredible pictures.  Powerful.  I've actually grabbed by kids feet while they were in the womb, but my wife was in her third trimester.