Author Topic: 49ers  (Read 28670 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: 49ers
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2011, 11:48:22 AM »
They are fun to watch these days that's for sure.  Its nice to see some imagination back in a game plan.  lol

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2011, 12:33:29 PM »
Agree with you on all accounts. Every play I hold my breath thinking the A. Smith of old could/might come back for an appearance. I think Harbaugh has done a great job of at least staving off that possibility for the longest amount of time.

Harbaugh being a fairly successful QB himself in the NFL, is smart in keeping the playbook scaled down to Smith's abilities. Big running game with Gore and Hunter and lot's of play action. I think Crabtree would be a monster for you guys if he had an above average QB throwing him the ball.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2011, 11:21:48 PM »
Alex and the D won this one! If not for the one Holley pass against Dallas in the 2nd week, we'd be undefeated!

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2011, 05:49:17 AM »
Good game :(
besides Webster the Gmen have nobody that can cover!

....Eli made some great throws but that drop by Cruz came back to haunt them and Manningham hurt them by not finishing his route and costing Eli a pick >:(

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2011, 07:09:39 AM »
I'm hoping the Alex Smith of old shows up on Thanksgiving against the Ravens.  :-\

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2011, 07:21:17 AM »
Hey if Seattle can beat the Ravens, I'm sure the 49ers have a good chance since we have a better D and more talent at WR and TE. Of course it's a road game for us, but we're undefeated on the road right now. Thanksgiving will be a good game!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2011, 03:07:20 PM »
Great win.  That Niner D is really good. 

Smith played a great game.  The lone INT was Ginn's fault. 

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2011, 05:39:23 PM »
Great win.  That Niner D is really good. 

Smith played a great game.  The lone INT was Ginn's fault. 

The pick was Ginn's fault, a one in a million fluke that bounced off his facemask right into the hands of the corner waiting.

This game was huge for the Niners, and proves we are someone again! ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2011, 05:46:19 PM »
The pick was Ginn's fault, a one in a million fluke that bounced off his facemask right into the hands of the corner waiting.

This game was huge for the Niners, and proves we are someone again! ;D

Wurd.   :)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2011, 07:06:54 AM »
I can't help but think that the Alex Smith of old will show up at M&T bank Stadium on Thanksgiving.  ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2011, 09:53:18 AM »
I can't help but think that the Alex Smith of old will show up at M&T bank Stadium on Thanksgiving.  ;D

We shall see.   :)  It's going to be a great day.  Hopefully I'll be out of my overeating induced coma in time to see the game. 

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2011, 02:42:06 PM »

I'm afraid the old AS will show up but so far they've done a pretty damn good job at keeping the guy far far away. I hope the Turkey day showdown is a battle that all of Baltimore remembers; that is they remember it was the day the Niners WIN!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2012, 02:03:57 PM »
Terrific season.  I would have never predicted 13-3.  This is a really good football team.  Alex Smith held it together for 16 weeks.  He wasn't asked to do much and didn't have a 300 yard passing game, but he "managed the game."  Very happy after 16 weeks, for a change.   :)

Harbaugh should be the unanimous choice for coach of the year. 

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2012, 05:14:46 PM »
Terrific season.  I would have never predicted 13-3.  This is a really good football team.  Alex Smith held it together for 16 weeks.  He wasn't asked to do much and didn't have a 300 yard passing game, but he "managed the game."  Very happy after 16 weeks, for a change.   :)

Agreed on all points except maybe one; Smith did tank a few times but not nearly as much as in the past or as I (and many others expected).

Harbaugh is said to be the Coach of the year for what he's done with the team. And though I can't really say I'm not biased but I can't think of another coach that did something similar either. He brought back a team that was horrible last year, completely turned it around winning the division and did so with pretty much the same crew Singletary had. And the last few weeks we lost a few players and still managed to hold it together.

Harbaugh, SF thanks you! 8)

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2012, 09:56:53 PM »
Securing a first round bye today was icing on the cake for me. I never expected the 9ers to win the division much less make a first round bye. Even they they lost the week after next, I would be content and looking forward to next season since they've exceeded much more than I even expected.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2012, 10:23:42 PM »
Agreed on all points except maybe one; Smith did tank a few times but not nearly as much as in the past or as I (and many others expected).

Harbaugh is said to be the Coach of the year for what he's done with the team. And though I can't really say I'm not biased but I can't think of another coach that did something similar either. He brought back a team that was horrible last year, completely turned it around winning the division and did so with pretty much the same crew Singletary had. And the last few weeks we lost a few players and still managed to hold it together.

Harbaugh, SF thanks you! 8)

Poor Singletary.  I really liked him, but thought letting him go was the right thing to do.  But man did Harbaugh make him look bad. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2012, 10:25:03 PM »
Securing a first round bye today was icing on the cake for me. I never expected the 9ers to win the division much less make a first round bye. Even they they lost the week after next, I would be content and looking forward to next season since they've exceeded much more than I even expected.

Agree.  I actually would have been happy with 8-8 or 9-7.  Now they have a legit shot to make it out of the NFC with that defense.  They'll have their hands full with GB or NO, but should be a great game. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2012, 11:02:14 AM »
Poor Singletary.  I really liked him, but thought letting him go was the right thing to do.  But man did Harbaugh make him look bad. 

check this article out written January 7th, 2011

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/31052/jim-harbaugh-a-home-run-for-49ers

Jim Harbaugh a 'home run' for 49ers
January, 7, 2011

By Mike Sando
The San Francisco 49ers are getting a hard-charging, schematically brilliant head coach whose philosophy suits the team's existing personnel perfectly.

As a bonus, Jim Harbaugh has also clashed famously with Seattle coach Pete Carroll, meaning NFC West fans can expect more edge to the 49ers-Seahawks rivalry.

That was the word Friday from ESPN college football analyst and former NFL quarterback Brock Huard, who would know. Huard worked two Stanford games this past season and followed the Pac-10 closely even before his days as a quarterback at the University of Washington in the 1990s. His brother, Damon, went to camp with the 49ers under previous coach Mike Singletary. Huard works during the week as a radio host on 710ESPN Seattle.

"I think hiring Jim Harbaugh is a home run in every way for the 49ers," Huard said.

Let us count the ways, according to Huard:

Offensive scheme. Huard: "Harbaugh likes the power run game, be physical, hit you in the mouth. The 49ers drafted two big linemen and they have a sledgehammer back when healthy. Many of the pieces schematically are in hand, unlike what he would have encountered at Michigan or other places. San Francisco will fit him really well personnel-wise, minus the quarterback."

Clear philosophical vision. Huard: "He is a guy who has tremendous staff and knows exactly what to do offensively, and he has a mind's eye for what he wants to do defensively. He fired his defensive coordinator at Stanford and got Vic Fangio. On offense, his identity is going to be built around the power run game, play-action pass and a physical presence."

NFL mindset. Huard: "Harbaugh to the NFL is no surprise for me. Being with him twice this year and having him rave about the NFL being the highest level of football with the cutting-edge schemes, the best of the best, it did not surprise me at all."

NFL-ready coaching staff. "His staff and so many of his hires over past few years are very much NFL guys. He hired Vic Fangio, who did brilliant things on defense -- 8.8 points per game against (over their past five games). And then he ran a 3-4 defense in Baltimore with the Ravens. Very aggressive, very blitz-friendly. The 49ers have the personnel in their front seven to run that."

Mastery of Xs and Os. Huard: "One of his graduate assistants is a guy I played with in Indy, Aaron Moorehead, the receiver. He said that they were doing things at the college level that a) you never imagined you could do at the NFL level and b) his depth of knowledge on Xs and Os is incredible." A rival college coach told Huard his team studied Stanford's running game and charted running plays from 30 different personnel groups and formations.

Hard-driving personality. Huard: "His personality is evident in how he handled the Orange Bowl postgame press conference, how he handled the media there. That personality is probably better suited for the NFL game, where Bill Belichick has shown personality doesn't matter as long as you win."

Tireless work ethic. Huard: "What people didn’t recognize was that Harbaugh was as relentless as anybody in college football in recruiting. He understood what it took to win at that level. Now, he can use the energy where his passion is just as rich, and that is in the Xs and Os of the NFL game. He is thrilled to match wits with the best of the best, 24-7. Having a quarterback who could handle it at Stanford, he pushed the envelope schematically beyond the rest of the conference."

Fans of the 49ers should be hopeful, in other words. Harbaugh's offensive expertise and passion for offensive diversity will stand in stark contrast to the simplified approach former Singletary implemented.

Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. saw some of the same positives Huard outlined. He also offered words of caution based on his own experiences working under another successful former college head coach.

"I was hired by Butch Davis in Cleveland and he was the best in the group of college coaches, and he didn't do well there," Williamson said. "All those guys, they took a college view of how to acquire talent. It is just so much different. Knowing the league is so important. All those things with Harbaugh are very unproven to me. Yesterday, people were talking about Miami making him the highest-paid coach in the NFL. To me, that would be insane."

The 49ers reportedly will pay Harbaugh $25 million over five seasons, less than Carroll is getting from the Seahawks and less than what the Dolphins were reportedly offering.

"The 49ers were the worst schematic team in the league," Williamson said. "That starts with Singletary and goes down to the way they handle quarterbacks, put together game plans, have no stability. Harbaugh will erase all that. He is worth more to the Niners than any other team in the league."

Harbaugh has roots in the San Francisco Bay Area. His hiring should resonate locally.

"Last year, their fan base had to be champing at the bit because the NFC West looked so winnable, and there was no more disappointing team," Williamson said. "These were same old Niners who stunk since Steve Young left. Then they bring in a guy who has been extremely successful in that area of the country and it is good for ticket sales and all the off-field business things. They have always been the passive team who doesn't make the big move. Now, they spent the money and got the guy everyone else wanted."

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2012, 11:26:54 AM »
Terrific season.  I would have never predicted 13-3.  This is a really good football team.  Alex Smith held it together for 16 weeks.  He wasn't asked to do much and didn't have a 300 yard passing game, but he "managed the game."  Very happy after 16 weeks, for a change.   :)

sounds like the 2001 steelers, great defense with a qb that can only manage the game

saints will beat the 49ers in two weeks

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2012, 11:30:19 AM »
check this article out written January 7th, 2011

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/31052/jim-harbaugh-a-home-run-for-49ers

Jim Harbaugh a 'home run' for 49ers
January, 7, 2011

By Mike Sando
The San Francisco 49ers are getting a hard-charging, schematically brilliant head coach whose philosophy suits the team's existing personnel perfectly.

As a bonus, Jim Harbaugh has also clashed famously with Seattle coach Pete Carroll, meaning NFC West fans can expect more edge to the 49ers-Seahawks rivalry.

That was the word Friday from ESPN college football analyst and former NFL quarterback Brock Huard, who would know. Huard worked two Stanford games this past season and followed the Pac-10 closely even before his days as a quarterback at the University of Washington in the 1990s. His brother, Damon, went to camp with the 49ers under previous coach Mike Singletary. Huard works during the week as a radio host on 710ESPN Seattle.

"I think hiring Jim Harbaugh is a home run in every way for the 49ers," Huard said.

Let us count the ways, according to Huard:

Offensive scheme. Huard: "Harbaugh likes the power run game, be physical, hit you in the mouth. The 49ers drafted two big linemen and they have a sledgehammer back when healthy. Many of the pieces schematically are in hand, unlike what he would have encountered at Michigan or other places. San Francisco will fit him really well personnel-wise, minus the quarterback."

Clear philosophical vision. Huard: "He is a guy who has tremendous staff and knows exactly what to do offensively, and he has a mind's eye for what he wants to do defensively. He fired his defensive coordinator at Stanford and got Vic Fangio. On offense, his identity is going to be built around the power run game, play-action pass and a physical presence."

NFL mindset. Huard: "Harbaugh to the NFL is no surprise for me. Being with him twice this year and having him rave about the NFL being the highest level of football with the cutting-edge schemes, the best of the best, it did not surprise me at all."

NFL-ready coaching staff. "His staff and so many of his hires over past few years are very much NFL guys. He hired Vic Fangio, who did brilliant things on defense -- 8.8 points per game against (over their past five games). And then he ran a 3-4 defense in Baltimore with the Ravens. Very aggressive, very blitz-friendly. The 49ers have the personnel in their front seven to run that."

Mastery of Xs and Os. Huard: "One of his graduate assistants is a guy I played with in Indy, Aaron Moorehead, the receiver. He said that they were doing things at the college level that a) you never imagined you could do at the NFL level and b) his depth of knowledge on Xs and Os is incredible." A rival college coach told Huard his team studied Stanford's running game and charted running plays from 30 different personnel groups and formations.

Hard-driving personality. Huard: "His personality is evident in how he handled the Orange Bowl postgame press conference, how he handled the media there. That personality is probably better suited for the NFL game, where Bill Belichick has shown personality doesn't matter as long as you win."

Tireless work ethic. Huard: "What people didn’t recognize was that Harbaugh was as relentless as anybody in college football in recruiting. He understood what it took to win at that level. Now, he can use the energy where his passion is just as rich, and that is in the Xs and Os of the NFL game. He is thrilled to match wits with the best of the best, 24-7. Having a quarterback who could handle it at Stanford, he pushed the envelope schematically beyond the rest of the conference."

Fans of the 49ers should be hopeful, in other words. Harbaugh's offensive expertise and passion for offensive diversity will stand in stark contrast to the simplified approach former Singletary implemented.

Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. saw some of the same positives Huard outlined. He also offered words of caution based on his own experiences working under another successful former college head coach.

"I was hired by Butch Davis in Cleveland and he was the best in the group of college coaches, and he didn't do well there," Williamson said. "All those guys, they took a college view of how to acquire talent. It is just so much different. Knowing the league is so important. All those things with Harbaugh are very unproven to me. Yesterday, people were talking about Miami making him the highest-paid coach in the NFL. To me, that would be insane."

The 49ers reportedly will pay Harbaugh $25 million over five seasons, less than Carroll is getting from the Seahawks and less than what the Dolphins were reportedly offering.

"The 49ers were the worst schematic team in the league," Williamson said. "That starts with Singletary and goes down to the way they handle quarterbacks, put together game plans, have no stability. Harbaugh will erase all that. He is worth more to the Niners than any other team in the league."

Harbaugh has roots in the San Francisco Bay Area. His hiring should resonate locally.

"Last year, their fan base had to be champing at the bit because the NFC West looked so winnable, and there was no more disappointing team," Williamson said. "These were same old Niners who stunk since Steve Young left. Then they bring in a guy who has been extremely successful in that area of the country and it is good for ticket sales and all the off-field business things. They have always been the passive team who doesn't make the big move. Now, they spent the money and got the guy everyone else wanted."

Great article.  They had him pegged pretty good.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2012, 11:31:08 AM »
sounds like the 2001 steelers, great defense with a qb that can only manage the game

saints will beat the 49ers in two weeks

E

Assuming they play the Saints in two weeks, it should be a great game.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2012, 10:43:30 PM »
Assuming they play the Saints in two weeks, it should be a great game.
No more assuming................ it's on! The 9ers really need to establish long drives and make sure to get to Brees and knock his ass down to even have a decent chance.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »
Saints are laying -3 on the road.

I like the 49ers in this game on a grass field behind a strong running game. The Saints have had trouble stopping the run this season. The 49ers D is no joke.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2012, 11:55:25 AM »
No more assuming................ it's on! The 9ers really need to establish long drives and make sure to get to Brees and knock his ass down to even have a decent chance.

Yep.  I think they have a legit shot to take NO down.  Should be a great game. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2012, 11:57:41 AM »
Saints are laying -3 on the road.

I like the 49ers in this game on a grass field behind a strong running game. The Saints have had trouble stopping the run this season. The 49ers D is no joke.

I like NO... They are firing on all cylinders and have a running and passing game that is probably the best in the league, but the 49ers will not get pushed over. They will come to play and could definitely edge out a win if a turnover or two goes their way.