Author Topic: The most difficult thing with training, is to know how many reps to do.  (Read 2825 times)

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
way to go! Volyme is the shiet! Dense quality muscles! Endurance! Diesel! Never quit, just repeat and repeat! Never ending story. Thats how Oakes are build!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Failure on a 10x10 is very different from failing on a 5 rep max. Fatigue failure is good, CNS stalling is not.

One will have bad effects on your recovery.

I think I get what you are trying to convey.  Training for low sets and low reps to failure is brutal on your system. Failing after doing a lot of sets with relatively high reps doesn't take the toll on your body and mind as the previously mentioned. So doing 2 sets of 6 reps to failure in a flat bench is a lot different to your system as doing 4 sets of 10 reps failing on your last set.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
CNS overtraining is BS, bulgarians squatted every day to failure on 1-3 reps and they had 300kg+ squats, every one of them, even 77kg lifters. Nowadays, Chinese do the same.

Fatigue will stop you, CNS overtraining won't.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Power lifters and Olympic lifters rarely lift to failure. At one point of their cycle of course they test their limits.  Bodybuilders are constantly bombarded from the HIT crowd that if they didn't rep out to failure they are wasting their time. No one can train week in and week out pushing every exercise to failure without reaching exhaustion and the need to take time off from training due to mental and physical exhaustion.   Call it CNS over training or just tired it's a fact and it will happen. 

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
Power lifters and Olympic lifters rarely lift to failure. At one point of their cycle of course they test their limits.  Bodybuilders are constantly bombarded from the HIT crowd that if they didn't rep out to failure they are wasting their time. No one can train week in and week out pushing every exercise to failure without reaching exhaustion and the need to take time off from training due to mental and physical exhaustion.   Call it CNS over training or just tired it's a fact and it will happen. 

Going to failure in exercises with long TUT will burn you out. Powerlifters don't go to failure because of that. It has nothing to do with CNS tho, it's just your muscles getting sore and that's it.

TheShape.

• Getbig V
Bench press, heavy = pec tears
Squats = low back injury
deadlift = low back injury.

If people do the exercises sensibly they are fine, they tend not to, hence the risks.

We're not all permabulkers here...those are the best exercises if you use good form.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
I have different rep ranges for different muscles and exercises. Big thing I've changed in last year or so is upping volume, especially reps. Kept getting tears and injuries in 5-8 rep range despite using perfect form. I'd have to lift too heavy (for me) to feel anything in a set which lead to injuries.

I've stopped counting reps in some exercises and just try to burn out muscle, machine preacher curls is one example. Why stop at 15 if you can still lift?

Simple Simon

I have different rep ranges for different muscles and exercises. Big thing I've changed in last year or so is upping volume, especially reps. Kept getting tears and injuries in 5-8 rep range despite using perfect form. I'd have to lift too heavy (for me) to feel anything in a set which lead to injuries.

I've stopped counting reps in some exercises and just try to burn out muscle, machine preacher curls is one example. Why stop at 15 if you can still lift?
Agreed, I seldom count at all now, I couldn't tell you for the life of me how many reps I do per workout,

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Going to failure in exercises with long TUT will burn you out. Powerlifters don't go to failure because of that. It has nothing to do with CNS tho, it's just your muscles getting sore and that's it.

Just pointing out that Olympic lifters and Power lifters don't do their sets to failure why do bodybuilders preach that you should all the time?

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Mix it up.  No reason to stick with one way.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
Just pointing out that Olympic lifters and Power lifters don't do their sets to failure why do bodybuilders preach that you should all the time?

Training for strength and training for hypertrophy necessitate different approaches

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
"Burning out the CNS" oh brother