Author Topic: The most difficult thing with training, is to know how many reps to do.  (Read 2836 times)

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
Should one go till failure at all times? What constitutes failure, is it as many reps you can do in good form? OR just all out? and how much rest in between?

Is there a benefit to tap into those last emotional/autistic/survival/adrenalin reps at the end of every set?

I haven't noticed the benefit of going to complete failure at all times during the years I did. I think it's best to do just go to about 70 to 80% of capability, so that you become stronger and get more muscle mass and become leaner, and less taxed central nervous system.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
Yesterday+1.

Will be expecting my coaching fee through PayPal soon.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
It isn't rocket science to train hard but diet is real science and hard to implement. It's a 24/7 thing as opposed to the one hour gym session.

That's why I would rather be coached by a nutritionist than a PT.

Now this thread wasn't about diet but I posted this anyway

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
The most difficult thing with training, is to know how many reps to do.

Use a weight that allows you to have 6 to 10 reps.  If you can do more than ten, up it slightly.  If you can only do less than 6 drop it slightly.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
Failure on a 10x10 is very different from failing on a 5 rep max. Fatigue failure is good, CNS stalling is not.

One will have bad effects on your recovery.

falco

• Getbig V
I keep it 1-2 reps before failure. Never sacrifice form.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Use a weight that allows you to have 6 to 10 reps.  If you can do more than ten, up it slightly.  If you can only do less than 6 drop it slightly.
Depends what your Goals are.. I think even if you are a Bodybuilder and Train with the typical rep ranges.. i still think you should have a Day where you do a power Lifting Day. Drop to 5 reps or even lower. I go only as low as 3 reps. Drop all the exercises and just do heavy squats, deads and bench. I think this is fundamental and crucial  for any Bodybuilder.

JasonH

• Getbig V
You stop when you're done.

Simple Simon

Depends what your Goals are.. I think even if you are a Bodybuilder and Train with the typical rep ranges.. i still think you should have a Day where you do a power Lifting Day. Drop to 5 reps or even lower. I go only as low as 3 reps. Drop all the exercises and just do heavy squats, deads and bench. I think this is fundamental and crucial  for any Bodybuilder.
No it isnt.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master

Simple Simon

why not ?
I dont bench squat or deadlift and look better than 99% of people my age.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
I dont bench squat or deadlift and look better than 99% of people my age.
great.. but why is such Training of no value to a Bodybuilder?

Simple Simon

great.. but why is such Training of no value to a Bodybuilder?
Bench press, heavy = pec tears
Squats = low back injury
deadlift = low back injury.

If people do the exercises sensibly they are fine, they tend not to, hence the risks.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Squats = low back injury

If people do the exercises sensibly they are fine, they tend not to, hence the risks.
so powerlifting Training has no value because of the risks? Doing a DB fly can cause a tear or even an incline DB curl stretching a muscle. The Point of having a power Day is giving a thicker denser look in my opinion and hitting muscle fibres that you will not hit with lighter Training. i think it is wrong to just go in one direction. Pros and cons for everything but i have noticed since i deadlift regular my back and shoulder Region has improved. It is a rugged lift.. no BS just you and a single Motion. I would never let my ego get the better of me and what is heavy for me is "Fluff" for some big guys on here. Still in my opinion it has a place in a any Bodybuilders Programme. If you are injured sure you can leg press, machine press....etc... nothing wrong with it.

Simple Simon

so powerlifting Training has no value because of the risks? Doing a DB fly can cause a tear or even an incline DB curl stretching a muscle. The Point of having a power Day is giving a thicker denser look in my opinion and hitting muscle fibres that you will not hit with lighter Training. i think it is wrong to just go in one direction. Pros and cons for everything but i have noticed since i deadlift regular my back and shoulder Region has improved. It is a rugged lift.. no BS just you and a single Motion. I would never let my ego get the better of me and what is heavy for me is "Fluff" for some big guys on here. Still in my opinion it has a place in a any Bodybuilders Programme. If you are injured sure you can leg press, machine press....etc... nothing wrong with it.
The muscle doesnt know what exercise its doing.
Your back improvement was down to stressing the muscle with higher intensity, not the specific movement.

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
Your back improvement was down to stressing the muscle with higher intensity, not the specific movement.

Bu....b.....b...but the muscles must know the difference between standing barbell curls and seated preacher curls and adjust their growth accordingly, right? ???

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
correct hitting deeper muscle fibres with heavy weight in a fundamental lift . so tell me what you Substitute for These 3 exercises? I am not saying Deadlifts are the only exercise for back but you are not seriously saying doing some smaller exercises will produce the effects of Deadlifts.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Bu....b.....b...but the muscles must know the difference between standing barbell curls and seated preacher curls and adjust their growth accordingly, right? ???
stands to reason.. look at a construction worker and the most Office workers.. Believe me i have trained all sorts of People and the Manuel type guys have more strength and adapt far quicker to weight Training. their Body mechanics are "tuned" in to free weight lifts. The muscles are not the only factor, the nervous System as a whole is under stress.. far more stress as a whole with compound lifts.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
This is just another variation on one of the holy war items here: the bodybuilding value of the big 3 lifts. There are more than a few guys here that will answer every training question with "heavy squats"

Need bigger arms? Heavy squats.

It'll be raging on getbig long after our sun has run out of fuel. Along with Dorian versus Coleman.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
It isn't rocket science to train hard but diet is real science and hard to implement. It's a 24/7 thing as opposed to the one hour gym session.

That's why I would rather be coached by a nutritionist than a PT.

Now this thread wasn't about diet but I posted this anyway

Fuck nutrition

Rather be coached on drug usage/dosages, pre contest stacks

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
This is just another variation on one of the holy war items here: the bodybuilding value of the big 3 lifts. There are more than a few guys here that will answer every training question with "heavy squats"

Need bigger arms? Heavy squats.

It'll be raging on getbig long after our sun has run out of fuel. Along with Dorian versus Coleman.
no .. bigger arms? Dips, Close grip underhand chins. Not open to discussion. Tell me also 3 Bodybuilding lifts that will cover the Stimulus of Squats, Deads; benches?

Simple Simon

Tell me also 3 Bodybuilding lifts that will cover the Stimulus of Squats, Deads; benches?

lets go back to what you originally wrote
I dont do any of these exercises and look just fine.

Thats my point, you claim they are fundamental and crucial, Im saying they are not.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
What kind of power lifter has a day where they do bench, squat and deadlift all for triples in the same session?

do you even CNS bro

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
Squats = low back injury

I wanna see your squat form if squat causes lower back injuries in your opinion, lol.

What kind of power lifter has a day where they do bench, squat and deadlift all for triples in the same session?

do you even CNS bro

Many. In Poland it is quite popular to bench 3 times per week, squat 3 times per week, deadlift 1 time per week, train 3 times per week. Some people perform lifts even more often. This means that once per week they would do squat, bench followed by deadlift. There was an experiment conducted on some Norwegian, if I recall well, lifters. They did squats 6 times per week, bench 6 times per week with same volume as other group which hit these exercises like 2-3 times per week. Group with more frequent workouts improved better on squats and bench than the latter group but was no difference in improvement in deadlift.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
todays workout of the chestorals

4 sets incline dumbel pres 12-15 reps   (42kg, 40kg, 38kg dumbels)

4 sets flat dumbel pres 12-15 reps  (40kg dumbels, 38)

4 sets flat (fake) hammer press 12-15 reps  (25,20kg each side)

4 sets incline (fake) hammer press 12-15 reps (25kg each side)

4 sets flat dumbel fly 15 reps  (20-18-16 kg dumbels)

4 sets incline dumbel fly 15 reps  (18-16 kg dumbels)

hit a couple of sick clasped hands most musculars to make fatties depress