Author Topic: Attitudes Toward the Bible  (Read 35042 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Attitudes Toward the Bible
« on: August 05, 2007, 09:23:37 AM »
Which is closest to your attitude toward the bible?

(by Charles C. Ryrie)

Rationalism:  a. Extreme form denies the possibility of any supernatural revelation.  b. Moderate form admits possibility of divine revelation, but human mind is final judge of revelation. 

Romanism:  Bible is the product of the church; therefore, the Bible is not the sole or final authority.

Mysticism:  Experience is authoritative along w/the Bible.

Neo-orthodoxy:  The Bible is a fallible witness to the revelation of God in the Word, Christ.

Cults:  The Bible and the writings of the particular cult's leader are equally authoritative.

Orthodoxy:  The Bible is the ground of authority.

R

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
Re: Attitudes Toward the Bible
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 09:27:14 AM »
Rationalism a.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 06:17:04 AM »
Orthodoxy

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 08:26:49 AM »
Rationalism B, If i understand it right. and maybe a combination of roman-ism. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 09:02:46 AM »
Rationalism B, If i understand it right.

Ditto. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 09:53:34 AM »
Orthodoxy

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 10:01:39 AM »
I having problems reading your choice C-500........could you make it bigger please?    ;D ;) :)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 10:07:45 AM »
I having problems reading your choice C-500........could you make it bigger please?    ;D ;) :)
O R T H O D O X Y
 :P :D ;D

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 10:33:15 AM »
I see... Colossus, how many harlots have you stoned lately?

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 10:38:46 AM »
::)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 11:16:22 AM »

That's ok, bro. Don't despair. With enough practice, you too can become a jealous, genocidal, murderous, ill-tempered bully like Yahweh :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 01:26:31 PM »
That's ok, bro. Don't despair. With enough practice, you too can become a jealous, genocidal, murderous, ill-tempered bully like Yahweh :)

::) ::)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 02:40:54 PM »
lol

O R T H O D O X Y
 :P :D ;D
lol

lol

lol

:-\

::) ::)
lol
R

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 02:43:30 PM »

You forgot "insecure" and "vain"

;) ;D :)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 03:15:21 PM »
STella, ask the poor Midianites and the other people who had the misfortune to be living in the so-called promised land, if they felt "lol" too... not to mention all those guys whose foreskins were chopped off by the Hebrews on Yahweh's order. Were they saying "lol" too?

What about the little boy Isaac? I am sure he laughed out loud heartily at the prank Yahweh played on his senile father...

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 04:49:40 PM »
STella, ask the poor Midianites and the other people who had the misfortune to be living in the so-called promised land, if they felt "lol" too... not to mention all those guys whose foreskins were chopped off by the Hebrews on Yahweh's order. Were they saying "lol" too?

What about the little boy Isaac? I am sure he laughed out loud heartily at the prank Yahweh played on his senile father...
Sorry I laughed because I thought you were joking..then I saw you were not :-\

columbusdude82, do you believe that these bible stories actually occured?
R

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 05:13:09 PM »
I was half-joking :) I don't believe that the stories with magic in them (e.g., the sun stopping for Joshua) occurred. The others may have occurred, probably didn't, were vastly exaggerated, or were not recorded correctly after being passed down the generations through word of mouth.

Those who said "orthodoxy" probably believe them, as do those Christian denominations who believe that the Bible is the "infallible word of God." (e.g., Southern Baptists)

Regardless of whether they are fact or fable, why should I look for moral guidance to a book with this many deeply morally repugnant stories?

nzhardgain

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 02:23:53 AM »
I was half-joking :) I don't believe that the stories with magic in them (e.g., the sun stopping for Joshua) occurred. The others may have occurred, probably didn't, were vastly exaggerated, or were not recorded correctly after being passed down the generations through word of mouth.

Those who said "orthodoxy" probably believe them, as do those Christian denominations who believe that the Bible is the "infallible word of God." (e.g., Southern Baptists)

Regardless of whether they are fact or fable, why should I look for moral guidance to a book with this many deeply morally repugnant stories?

The fool in his heart has said there is no God.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 06:04:38 AM »
The fool in his heart has said there is no God.

How imaginative and convenient... quoting the psalms in order not to have to address the points I made...

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 06:35:08 AM »
How imaginative and convenient... quoting the psalms in order not to have to address the points I made...
columbusdude, how did you know that was in the Psalms?  Do you have a spiritual background and if so would you share what it is (if you are comfortable).

Do you have any people that you "look up to?"
R

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 06:36:36 AM »
the poor Midianites

The Midianites were oppressive and hostile to the Israelites.  They were often raiding Israel with the use of swift camels.

all those guys whose foreskins were chopped off by the Hebrews on Yahweh's order. Were they saying "lol" too?

Yeah, the Philistines, an evil and oppressive people.  And their foreskins were chopped off by David's army, not on order of God, but on order of King Saul, a king God rejected.

The "prank" was played by Isaac's mother.  Isaac's older brother is the one who sold his birth right for a bowl of beans.

God did not command Israel to destroy every nation in the promised land.  God commanded Israel to destroy only certain nations that were evil, involved in human sacrifice, or were oppressive toward Israel upon Israel's arrival or they were oppressive toward surrounding nations.

Funny how people here are bothered that God destroyed these evil and oppressive nations.  Yet, had God not destroyed those nations, people then would be complaining that God is not just for allowing these nations to continue to exist.

Deuteronomy 9:4
After the LORD your God has driven them out before you, do not say to yourself, "The LORD has brought me here to take possession of this land because of my righteousness." No, it is on account of the wickedness of these nations that the LORD is going to drive them out before you.

Deuteronomy 12:31
You must not worship the LORD your God in their way, because in worshiping their gods, they do all kinds of detestable things the LORD hates. They even burn their sons and daughters in the fire as sacrifices to their gods.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 06:38:20 AM »
Really good post loco.  Thanks!
R

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 06:38:39 AM »
Man, I hear alot of hurt & anger in your posts.  I know you've said that you're not angry, but it's hard to see where you're not.  

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 06:40:47 AM »
Haven't thrown any stones, but I'm steady duckin' the ones you're chuckin'.   :P ;)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 07:28:11 AM »
Really good post loco.  Thanks!

You are welcome, STella!   ;D