Author Topic: Favorite chest workouts  (Read 8326 times)

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
Re: Favorite chest workouts
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 07:21:39 AM »
exactly.
Great exercise for mass. That and Incline barbell press. Can't really go wrong with a press as long as it's heavy(relative)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 07:36:22 AM »

People seem to knock it but I don't see myself giving up barbell flat bench anytime soon.
it really can kill your shoulders

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 07:58:01 AM »

They get sore sometimes but I never have hurt them from benching.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 08:05:15 AM »
A fabulous exercise - I went about five years without doing them up until about six months ago when I started doing them again. Knocked out 6 reps with 340 on the bar last week and I aim to beat that today in about half an hour when I head off to the gym for my Thursday chest and biceps workout.
340 for 6 is excellent! Especially considering you haven't performed benches in a while...... I also stayed away from that exercise for quite some time and then came back to them and I find them to be very effective. I have learned to arch my chest, whereas in the past, I didn't arch enough and my delts and tris received most of the focus....... all in all, a damn good exercise..... It was a favorite or the great Serge Nubret...... his chest was near the top. IMHO

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 08:07:52 AM »
i've always considered the extra shoulder work from benches to be an added bonus, if you pull your shoulder blades back and push up your chest your chest should recieve the brunt of the workload anyway.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2009, 08:10:44 AM »

No doubt; it depends on the individual, some never get any pain others do. I think DB presses could be better because it's still hitting the same area but allows freer ROM that's easier on the shoulders, plus there's more room to vary the grip.

greg2112

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2009, 08:15:32 AM »
9 sets excluding warmups is more than enough for *anyone*, if you bring it every damn set as per the following definition..i'm talking about each set brought to positive failure, then sometimes going in to negative failure. I used to waste time with high volume so i know this from experience.

Doing more than 9 sets you're essentially coasting by doing endurance work, even though you don't think so. Which is very good for precontest refinement and cutting: those extra sets have nothing to do with size. You hit a muscle with 9 hard sets as i've described and the muscle's wasted, trying to do additional sets at that point is spinning your wheels. The main reason some do more volume is because it appeals to them mentally or they're convinced it's the only way. The mental aspect is the main reason something like HIT is not popular if it's practiced as it should be, with a training partner. It's not the physical results that are so different, it's the emotional approach to training..

I agree though, that if it ain't broke, no need to fix it based on the above about the phychological appeal for some.

There's no reason either to take 2 minutes between sets, that's just another approach. Someone can just as easily do 9 intense sets with less rest, call it a day and get good results.

Best chest workout: any 2 or 3 effective chest exercises that hit different areas, done in superset or triset fashion. Presses, dips, flys for example.

Totally agree!

Buddy and I are on another blast of DC training, as we rotate incline db bench, hammer incline and incline bb.  After an intense rest pause set b/w 10/15 total reps and then going into the extreme chest stretch for 60 seconds my chest is crushed for a few days.  Only from 3 mini sets into one main set but we going very intense over these 3 mini sets.

I used to be a volume lifter as well.  Ever since the switch to low volume and using intensity principles as in DC, negatives, static’s, and extreme stretching.  I am the biggest and strongest I have ever been.  Personally I felt I was wasting my time doing volume!  Yeah I did a few compound lifts and then ended with some iso lifts with light weights.  What was the purpose of those lifts, I was using lighter weights on those iso lifts.  Yeah I got a pump but WTF was that doing to me.  Nothing really.  Why not hit a heavy compound movement with all out intensity and then repeat a few days later?  bottom line Like what some folks said, everybody is different!  I have tried both and found this current system to work better for me!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2009, 11:00:44 AM »
Why not hit a heavy compound movement with all out intensity and then repeat a few days later? 

The only thing i'd add is that you can use any exericse isolation or compound and get good results, regardless of what any program says.

greg2112

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2009, 11:30:57 AM »
O'Yeah I agree with that, I won't disagree!

After this routine, going to bump the volume up a tad with one ISO lift per bodypart, depending on the bodypart.

The only thing i'd add is that you can use any exericse isolation or compound and get good results, regardless of what any program says.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2009, 11:33:16 AM »
Totally agree!

Buddy and I are on another blast of DC training, as we rotate incline db bench, hammer incline and incline bb.  After an intense rest pause set b/w 10/15 total reps and then going into the extreme chest stretch for 60 seconds my chest is crushed for a few days.  Only from 3 mini sets into one main set but we going very intense over these 3 mini sets.

I used to be a volume lifter as well.  Ever since the switch to low volume and using intensity principles as in DC, negatives, static’s, and extreme stretching.  I am the biggest and strongest I have ever been.  Personally I felt I was wasting my time doing volume!  Yeah I did a few compound lifts and then ended with some iso lifts with light weights.  What was the purpose of those lifts, I was using lighter weights on those iso lifts.  Yeah I got a pump but WTF was that doing to me.  Nothing really.  Why not hit a heavy compound movement with all out intensity and then repeat a few days later?  bottom line Like what some folks said, everybody is different!  I have tried both and found this current system to work better for me!

ya once you go that low volume route, your like what the fuck was i doing all those years wasting my time with set after set.

youll see when you add 50 pounds to your hammer incline how much your chest will grow.. youll quickly see why volume sucks.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2009, 11:36:54 AM »
i've always considered the extra shoulder work from benches to be an added bonus, if you pull your shoulder blades back and push up your chest your chest should recieve the brunt of the workload anyway.

x2

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2009, 11:37:29 AM »
ya once you go that low volume route, your like what the fuck was i doing all those years wasting my time with set after set.

No offense to volume pumpers, but i do believe that the biggest reason they stay with it is that's it's not as hard or intense, they essentially spread the same work over more sets and stay in a nice comfortable groove without taking it to another level. To me, someone who loves training has no problem upping the intensity and in fact welcomes it-actually makes the workouts better and more mentally involving.

True HIT is the extreme of minimum sets, and it's understandible that most including moi don't like it-essentially you have to do extremely gruelling, extended sets into negative territory, with a training partner obligatory to do so, to make it work. That's too much for most, for good reason.

greg2112

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2009, 11:38:52 AM »
I have found out, LOL

bigger and stronger then ever.  pushing more weight and adding each week on most lifts.

I am enjoying it

youll see when you add 50 pounds to your hammer incline how much your chest will grow.. youll quickly see why volume sucks.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2009, 11:40:08 AM »
squats

greg2112

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2009, 11:44:40 AM »
I believe the majority of us have just been brainwashed with the volume thing from the various muscle mags over the years and copying what the majority of the pro;s or elite athletes are doing.  Bottom line, I just think folks are hesitant to change or try something new since it’s not the norm I guess.  Hell I know I was, LOL.  I did change and I have finally started seeing results again

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2009, 05:14:54 PM »
I believe the majority of us have just been brainwashed with the volume thing from the various muscle mags over the years

Ya i believe that. One guy's routine i saw in a mag a couple of years ago caught my eye, and he had an impressive physique. He was doing exactly 2 sets per exercise excluding warmups.

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2009, 07:39:52 AM »
Shrugs 3 x 10-20 reps (warms upper shoulder girdle & rotators)

Incline dumbbell
warmup feel sets
x12
x5
x2
x1
Main working sets
2 sets x 6 to 8 reps

Incline Barbell press
1 feel set x 4 reps
2 sets x 6 to 8 reps

Weighted Dips
1 feel set x BW 6 reps
1 weighted set 6-15 reps

Machine press
2 all out sets 6-8 reps

7 working sets total  ;)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2009, 10:10:07 AM »
BB CURLS

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2009, 10:11:51 AM »
Super Natural gives a good example of what some (not all, by all means) of Pro's and top BB'ers ( seen in SoCal) do. At times they will do more light warm-up sets than main sets done with serious intent. Usually between 4 to 6 sets per body part of the heavier work. Those lighter warm-up sets tend to bring a lot of blood into the muscle area before the serious stuff, which may be part of the complete process for growth. More blood, more muscle as the old saying goes. Good Luck.
F

Nasty Nate

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2009, 09:23:01 PM »
This week i'll be doing:

Incline DB Press
Machine Press
Dips
Cable Flyes

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2009, 06:48:53 PM »
you guys say go HEAVY a lot in regards to press movements..incline,flat,etc.....that would mean heavy to the individual correct? your heavy may be 300lbs while someone elses may be 200 lbs? so just do what feels heavy to you to get gains from it?

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2009, 07:25:14 PM »
3 sets DB inclines
3 sets BB presses to the neck
3 sets weighted dips
No doubt about it...

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2009, 07:52:01 PM »
you guys say go HEAVY a lot in regards to press movements..incline,flat,etc.....that would mean heavy to the individual correct? your heavy may be 300lbs while someone elses may be 200 lbs? so just do what feels heavy to you to get gains from it?

Use the most weight that can be done in the 6-12 rep range.

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2009, 09:44:18 AM »
I've always liked one of Arnold's, Bench/Incline/Flyes/Dips/Pullovers.  Although I consider Pullovers more of a back exercise, but it depends how you work it and feel it.  Lately I have been doing Bench/Incline Dumbell/Dips/Incline Flyes/Pushups.  I usually do modified supersets of Chest and Back, so Pullovers would be a good ending exercise to tie it together.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2009, 11:45:55 AM »
incline dumbell
flat dumbell
hammer strength incline
hammer strength flat
flyes incline
cable crossovers (if u have a decent amount of chest mass
choice is an illusion